Suspect in fatal crash out of jail

James Dickson, the Arenas Valley man who killed motorcyclist Robert Roland while allegedly driving drunk on May 29, was released from the Grant County Detention Center just after noon Wednesday, after putting up his property at 8 Cherry St. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Resident

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Jun 9, 2011
That is ridiculous, the victim didn't get a chance to go home and this scum bag does?
Silver City Resident

Silver City, NM

#2 Jun 9, 2011
Someone lost there life and his family lost there brother, father, uncle and just because he had property he was able to get his ass out of jail... Why not let him sit and rot behind bars he made the choice to drive now he needs to sit and face the consequences... Thats why we have so many people like him taking all these chances cause they know they wont sit pretty for long...
FU Elkstine

Silver City, NM

#3 Jun 9, 2011
The Judge has rules she had to follow. We need to change the rules so that these scum are off the street forever. I wonder what the Gov would do if it had been one of her family??? DWI-DUI needs to be a felony first offense. But it's all about money. Maybe the family should sue the state for letting this guy out on the street. After all this guy took away the victoms civil rights and the state allowed it to happen. The state preaches about getting tough on Drunk Driving but too many times we hear about people with TOO MANY Drunk Driving Violations.
feed up

Rio Rancho, NM

#4 Jun 9, 2011
how people need to die because of a drunk driver? When are people going to stand up and say somthing about this? I am totally against drunk drivers. And believe they shouldn?t be given a second chance. It/ just losing a different kind of gun.
Brian

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Jun 9, 2011
Just to point out to the usual frothing at the mouth commenters... there has not actually been a TRIAL yet.

Some people on here just seem to forget that the entire justice system is predicated an the basis that someone is innocent until proven guilty; let's hope none of you are ever accused of a crime.

Whether this man will still be "free" after trial remains to be seen.

Oh, and also remember that keeping people in prison costs a huge amount of taxpayers' money.
Neal

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Jun 9, 2011
"Innocent until proven guilty" is a legal maxim which means that it's the prosecution's job to prove to the jury that the defendant is guilty, rather than it being the defendant's job to prove that he's innocent. The presumption of innocence is something that goes on inside a courtroom, and it applies only to the jury. It does not mean that the rest of the criminal-justice system has to treat the defendant as innocent until he's proven guilty; if you think about it, that would be ridiculous, because it would mean, among other things, that we couldn't hold people in jail pending trial, or agree to let them out of jail only if they pay bail. You can't put innocent people in jail, right? And it *certainly* doesn't mean that the press and its readers cannot report on facts that certainly make the defendant look guilty. Common misconception, but a misconception for all that.
Fly on the Wall

Silver City, NM

#8 Jun 9, 2011
No innocence in this case, he admitted to having six beers. He is a flight risk. Who wouldn't run with such a case against him and looking at prison time?
Daughter

United States

#9 Jun 9, 2011
.....Help change these laws so that scum like this don't hurt any more families.
Daughter

United States

#10 Jun 9, 2011
Brian wrote:
Just to point out to the usual frothing at the mouth commenters... there has not actually been a TRIAL yet.
Some people on here just seem to forget that the entire justice system is predicated an the basis that someone is innocent until proven guilty; let's hope none of you are ever accused of a crime.
Oh, and also remember that keeping people in prison costs a huge amount of taxpayers' money.
BRIAN, When your father is taken away from you by a drunk driver are you going to want that person out on the streets? Doubt it. Are you going to want him to stay behind bars until his trial so that he doesn't devistate another family? Absolutely. I hope you never have to go through the pain that I have gone through since 7:30 PM on May 29, 2011 because of James Dickson.
scgirl

Rio Rancho, NM

#11 Jun 10, 2011
Brian wrote:
I would rather pay for this guy to be in jail, than pay for people to be in jail who have committed minimal crimes/violations.
pete and repeat

Rio Rancho, NM

#12 Jun 10, 2011
and then this fool actually has the huevos to ask to get his car back!!! he has no problem getting back behind the wheel-truly a MORON.
Brian

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Jun 10, 2011
Daughter - I am sorry for your loss. I certainly hope that if this person is found guilty they are appropriately sentenced.

But I find the general tone of comments on here (not just in this case, but others) worrying; there appears to be a significant element who approve of summary or even mob "justice". We have to work to make the system better, not return to a lynch mob mentality that has no place in a civilised society.
Derrr

Silver City, NM

#14 Jun 10, 2011
Charles Bronson wrote:
8 Cherry St.
why not pay him a visit, camp over night for a weeks until the trial, make his life hell like that scumbag did to that family that lost their dad. Why don't we find out what he drives, where he works, where he eats at, I would take the law and give it back to the judge and take justice in my own hands, its time for a change.. If it was my dad he would not last one day out on bond
Two wrongs don't make a right. Also stalking and harassment are against the law. Not to mention you are encouraging vigilantism. I bet when you were in school, and saw to people getting ready to fight, you were pushing one at the other yelling for them to fight. Bully.
Derrr

Silver City, NM

#15 Jun 10, 2011
Brian wrote:
Daughter - I am sorry for your loss. I certainly hope that if this person is found guilty they are appropriately sentenced.
But I find the general tone of comments on here (not just in this case, but others) worrying; there appears to be a significant element who approve of summary or even mob "justice". We have to work to make the system better, not return to a lynch mob mentality that has no place in a civilised society.
Brian these people are on here every day spouting their hateful remarks and without a clue on how to use spell check. They don't care if they are screaming for the law to deny people's civil rights, oh but don't deny them theirs. They are all bark and no bite.
FU Elkstine

Silver City, NM

#16 Jun 10, 2011
Derr, Who gives a rats ass how anybody spells as long as they get their point across. go back to your hoity toity perfect life and leave the spelling alone.
Daughter

Peoria, AZ

#17 Jun 10, 2011
Brian wrote:
Then help by writing and calling your state officials to get this changed.
What the F_CK

Silver City, NM

#18 Jun 10, 2011
I don't like what this man did anymore then the next person, but why the HELL ARE THEY PUTTING THE ADDRESS of this person??!!! That is by far the stupidest thing I have ever seen!!! I wonder if something were to happen to this guy, who is going to pay??!!!!! Sounds deliberate to me, maybe a relative of the victim is working for Sun News??!
sjw

Rio Rancho, NM

#21 Jun 10, 2011
What the F_CK wrote:
I don't like what this man did anymore then the next person, but why the HELL ARE THEY PUTTING THE ADDRESS of this person??!!! That is by far the stupidest thing I have ever seen!!! I wonder if something were to happen to this guy, who is going to pay??!!!!! Sounds deliberate to me, maybe a relative of the victim is working for Sun News??!
My family saw my father lying in the dirt so broken that God had no choice but to take him. My father was killed, we will never see him again on this earth. Don't you think we are feeling enough pain without someone sending accusations our way. For your information we have no family members that are associated with Silver City Sun News. The only contact we have had with them is to put our father's obituary in the paper, which was incredibly hard for all of us. How dare you!!
sjw

Rio Rancho, NM

#22 Jun 10, 2011
What the F_CK wrote:
My family saw my father lying in the dirt so broken that God's only choice was to take him. I will never see my father again on this earth. Don't you think that we are going through enough pain without someone throwing accusations our way. For your information no one in our family has any association with anyone at Silver City Sun News. The only time we have had contact with them was to put my father's obituary in the paper, which was incredibly hard for us. How dare you!!
rule of law

Silver City, NM

#23 Jun 10, 2011
Innocent until proven guilty doesn't seem to mean much to people here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bayard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr Rick Moss 71,088
Do you have VERIZON and you didn't have service... Dec 13 yankeedudell 2
Experience Victorian Christmas tonight at Silve... (Dec '09) Dec 9 billie 4
Dr. Twana Sparks (Dec '09) Dec 9 MSGT Don 49
* the Silver City Daily Press * Dec 9 billie 1
Getting into the spirit of Christmas, a look at... Dec 9 billie 1
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Dec 7 Insect Trust 44
Bayard Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Bayard People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Bayard News, Events & Info