16-year-old student dies

May 1, 2007 Full story: Silver City Sun-News 9

“He stabbed him with it in the sheath and it made the hole even bigger.”

A Grant County teenager has been charged with an open count of murder following a stabbing Friday that resulted in the death of another teen, authorities said. via Silver City Sun-News

Full Story
his family and friends

San Simon, AZ

#1 May 3, 2007
Im sorry for what happened i hope that everything goes well!!!
Ashlie

San Simon, AZ

#2 May 3, 2007
i hope that you guys can go on with your life and relize that he is in a better place!! This world is messed up and God delivered his from that!!
Ali

Santa Fe, NM

#3 May 4, 2007
There was absolutely no reason for this child to have died. The young man who did this deed should not have even been on the campus of the High School and so I believe that he should be tried as an adult. I also believe that this was a premediated action which also should be a factor in trying him as an adult. He should not get away with being sent to juvvie until he is 18 and then let out. This young man took the life from a promising student who had a shot at leading a very productive life and for what? Is there even a reason for him to have died? I have not even heard why they were fighting in the first place. God bless the family and give them comfort in this trying time.
Mary

B M Goldwater A F Range, AZ

#4 May 5, 2007
"Our Prayers" go out to both the victim's family as well as the accused. This is an awful incident that has occurred. We must remember we all have children and or will some day have them. It appears to be that we are quick to forget that the accused young man is also wanted, loved and needed by his Family members. As it is metioned in one of the articles, it still is not known what the boys were fighting about. We must remember God is who we need to ask to Pray and give both Families understanding and healing through this difficult time. We are to be forgiving as human beings, which is more than likely a very hard thing to do. However, that is what God has asked us to do and how he wants us to be. I have read several clipppings and watched a few videos on this. It has been said that there is concern for the safety of the accused and others. We as adults must pray that this ends here and there are no more deaths and or persons hurt over this. We also need to let the soul of the victim rest. We are all chldren of God and are loved by God. May God bless! and guide both the families of Anthony Griego and Anthony Montoya....
felicia

Santa Fe, NM

#5 May 24, 2007
my prayers go out to the family and friends!! may god guide you in your path of sadness and forgivness
Loretta

United States

#6 May 27, 2007
There is alwas to side of every story i cant believe people are always ready to judge i though that was Gods decion all you here is bad for Griego so of course you think of him as a bad person so Montoya is better then this boy Griego Why becase you have know idea what kind of boy Montoya was but a westler at school what did he do after school I cant growup believe every thing they read and hear If you knew Griego he was a very loving and careing person This boy Griego well not have a fare trail in SilverCity Montoyas owe half of it and the money to any one off They need to pull up records on Montoya back ground be fore judgeing and ask other people besides family i wish people could see both sides i send my prayers to both victims familys as well as the accused.
rrvega

Rio Rancho, NM

#7 Jun 27, 2007
Loretta wrote:
There is alwas to side of every story i cant believe people are always ready to judge i though that was Gods decion all you here is bad for Griego so of course you think of him as a bad person so Montoya is better then this boy Griego Why becase you have know idea what kind of boy Montoya was but a westler at school what did he do after school I cant growup believe every thing they read and hear If you knew Griego he was a very loving and careing person This boy Griego well not have a fare trail in SilverCity Montoyas owe half of it and the money to any one off They need to pull up records on Montoya back ground be fore judgeing and ask other people besides family i wish people could see both sides i send my prayers to both victims familys as well as the accused.
I am the proud Auntie of Anthony Montoya. He was a very respecful young man that never harmed and never bother anyone, very quiet. After school, he would go to work at Arby's like my son the same age, 16.. This could have been any student that was leaving the High School. He just happend to be the one that was at the wrong place and wrong time.Like any other kids and adults, we have a temper, but not to KILL or MURDER anyone. He should have never had a weapon or NEVER been allowed on school grounds. Montoya was a good Christian, loved the outdoor. Fishing, hunting and raising his animal (chickens, turkey,pigs, rabbits).And yes, he was a wrestler, not a star but loved and enjoyed the sport.My heart goes out the Montoya and Griego family. We have both lost our loved one , one way or another, the only difference is that Montoya is in a better place than what we are right know. God has a reason for everything! Anthony Montoya(RIP)
Aragon

Silver City, NM

#8 Jan 26, 2011
Why has nothing changed at the school?

surly silver consolidated schools does not feel this is an acceptable loss, or just the cost of doing business.
Emily Montoya

Silver City, NM

#9 Jan 16, 2013
Loretta wrote:
I am the sister of Anthony Montoya. I just wanted you to know I'm praying something this horrible never happens to your family, and its unbelievable you would post something as insensitive as this on web. We DO NOT have political power in Silver City. Griego was not giving a fair trail, if he was he would of been sentenced much harsher then he was. As well as pulling the back records all you find is a teenage boy with a speeding ticket (Anthony Montoya). If pull the records on Griego you will find many serious run-ins with the law. For the record he was caring a WEAPON on SCHOOL GROUNDS (he DID NOT even attend the school, and was not to be on the premises (Griego)). No one said Montoya was better than Griego, how ever Griego is the one who MURDERED a teenage boy who WAS NOT caring a weapon. I suppose losing a small high school fight was too much for Griego to bear, pulling a knife was the only way to salvage his ego, and ruin many lives including his.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bayard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr J RULES 70,590
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Nov 21 savant 40
Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Nov 7 Realist 615
Hearing set for teen who allegedly shot father ... (Jan '11) Oct 29 Circe 6
Mimbres area Oct 24 Wherda 2
Grant County Corruption (Apr '10) Oct '14 silly12 6
A Possible Situation? Oct '14 yankeedudell 3
Bayard Dating
Find my Match

Bayard People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Bayard News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Bayard

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:03 am PST

NFL 9:03AM
Danny Trevathan, Jarvis Jones will return to practice
Bleacher Report12:07 PM
Breaking Down AFC West Playoff Picture
NFL 1:21 PM
Broncos to work out kickers Feely, Barth on Tuesday
NBC Sports 1:28 PM
Broncos bringing in kicker Feely for tryout - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 2:13 PM
Is Anderson Perfect Compliment for Manning?