Open: Smokina Al's parks in Massapequ...

Open: Smokina Al's parks in Massapequa Park

There are 33 comments on the Newsday.com story from Nov 28, 2008, titled Open: Smokina Al's parks in Massapequa Park. In it, Newsday.com reports that:

If you catch a whiff of smoke while driving along Merrick Road in Massapequa, chances are it's not a fire but rather the new branch Smokina Ala s Famous BBQ Joint.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jan 09

New York, NY

#21 Feb 6, 2009
I agree with everyone else regarding the downward spiral of the place. The food is mediocre. I have been spoiled when it comes to BBQ in the sense that I dine in Tennessee every summer. You can't compare real BBQ to Smokin' Al's and if you do it's because you never had real BBQ then. The wait is horrible and not worth the anticipation. It actually smells better than it tastes. I haven't tried Tennessee Jed's but I will give it a try. From time to time I've picked up Smokin' Al's if I didn't cook dinner but, I will no longer. The last time I ordered their food it was less than appetizing and some of my order was missing. I put Smokin' Al's in the same category as I would put McDonald's or Burger King.
St Louie Rub

Suffern, NY

#22 Feb 6, 2009
As a customer of Smokin Al's in Bay Shore since it opened I am disappointed to read these reviews.My first reaction when I heard they were expanding was I hope they are able to maintain the quality of service and product.
For the past year we've been doing take out from Al's because to eat dinner there during normal mealtime was a hassle....especially during Spring/Summer. Their food is hands down better than Tennessee's Jacks or the Hog House but as one reader recommended....Southside Hotel is fantastic.
Hang in there Smokin Als you'll work out the bugs...I hope.

“Let's go Yankees”

Since: Jul 08

Long Island

#23 Feb 6, 2009
St Louie Rub wrote:
As a customer of Smokin Al's in Bay Shore since it opened I am disappointed to read these reviews.My first reaction when I heard they were expanding was I hope they are able to maintain the quality of service and product.
For the past year we've been doing take out from Al's because to eat dinner there during normal mealtime was a hassle....especially during Spring/Summer. Their food is hands down better than Tennessee's Jacks or the Hog House but as one reader recommended....Southside Hotel is fantastic.
Hang in there Smokin Als you'll work out the bugs...I hope.
Where is Shouthside hotel?
Disillusioned

Montclair, NJ

#24 Mar 25, 2009
Went to Smokin' Al's last night, (Tuesday). The food was delicious and the portions were more than ample. However, our waitress was horrendous. Not only was she sadly lacking in personality, but the only time we saw her was to take our order and present us with our check. She apparently was pre-occupied with the table next to us, (for some reason), and we tried, (to no avail), to get her attention on several occasions. We wound up asking the busboy for everything we needed and gave him a generous tip for all his help. We were most disappointed and this was on a weeknight. I hate to think of the service during the weekend.
DDmom

Deer Park, NY

#25 Apr 9, 2009
My family walked in saw the mob and dirty doors,probably from there dirty fingers they licked on the way out the door,gross. Cant believe its still crowded. So many other good places to eat.
Amityville NY

Massapequa, NY

#26 Apr 29, 2009
Have never actually had a meal there because the 4x we tried to get in the wait was well over an hour for a table. We tried to order take-out on the phone and no one ever answered the phone. We went there to place an order and was told in a very rude manner that "you have to order online- we are too busy to pick up the phone" and she walked away w/out so much as a smile. She never asked us if we would like to order food. The parking is terrible and my friends say they have tried the take-out and it's always cold, soggy and medicore at best. Customer service no longer exists today -especially at Smokin' Al's.
karl westbury

Old Bridge, NJ

#27 Jun 1, 2009
we went to smokin als tonight for my son"s 16th B day We were told we could not be seated until our party of 5 were all there. My husband was outside parking the car i looked around and there were many empty tables we were over looked when it was time to be seated when we finally got a table we sat for approx. 20 mins. and the server never came to take our order the blond with short hair cut watched us did as many things as she could to avoid us served the couple that came ater us walked passed us a couple of times and never approached us .When we got the picture we got up and left after all we were the only african american family in smokin al and the fat dirty blond at the entrance t old us good night . i think the staff at smokin als are RACES and they don't serve black people.I say to all black people DON'T EAT AT SMOKIN ALS IN "MASSAPEQUA PARK OR ANY OThER LOCATION.your MONEY IS AS GREEN AS EVERYONE ELSE.
BBQ KING

AOL

#30 Jun 27, 2009
Al's hands down is the best BBQ joint around. All the other restaurants are just posers( Tenn. Jed. etc.) THe ribs are amazing, slowly smoked for hours and moist like a sponge. They dont get Rated #1 by Zagat for nothing. The Nachos topped with pulled pork is out of this world. Comparing Als to Tenn Jed is like comparing a Corvette to a Chevette.
Jason Fos

Freeport, NY

#31 Aug 6, 2009
BBQ KING wrote:
Al's hands down is the best BBQ joint around. All the other restaurants are just posers( Tenn. Jed. etc.) THe ribs are amazing, slowly smoked for hours and moist like a sponge. They dont get Rated #1 by Zagat for nothing. The Nachos topped with pulled pork is out of this world. Comparing Als to Tenn Jed is like comparing a Corvette to a Chevette.
Sounds like the above may be spam? A owner or a manager possibly? Sounds a little bit dicey... Anyone else seem to think so?
Darius

West Islip, NY

#32 Sep 13, 2010
karl westbury wrote:
i think the staff at smokin als are RACES and they don't serve black people.I say to all black people DON'T EAT AT SMOKIN ALS IN "MASSAPEQUA PARK OR ANY OThER LOCATION.your MONEY IS AS GREEN AS EVERYONE ELSE.
News Flash: They serve African Americans and we didn't have to sit at the back counter.
Smoking - Crack

Bronx, NY

#33 Sep 13, 2010
I seen a few drug dealers at Smoking Al's in Massapequa Park. They get seated immediatly and do not wait. Hmmmm

Why does Smoking Al's cater to Drug Dealers? Why do the delaers of Massapequa get prefered seating?

No lines anymore at Smoking al's the bubble has burst.
All Hype

New York, NY

#34 Sep 19, 2010
Smokin Al's (s)(u)(C)(k)(s)

Waiting for board of health I hear it is dirty in the kitchen, very dirty.

the bubble burst and you can get a seat anytime int his s-hole restaurant.
frdyjim

Hicksville, NY

#35 Oct 29, 2010
Chuck Wagon wrote:
<quoted text>nice try...are you the owner or a relative???
So anyone who has an opinion opposite of yours has to be a shill for this place? There is never 100% agreement on opinions. Grow up

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bay Shore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tankleff half sister rips DA, says Marty's guilty (Jan '08) 17 hr Kennymac 105
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) 20 hr Van Buren St Guy 1,452
New York City Correction Officers Vs. Police Of... (Sep '07) 20 hr Van Buren St Guy 118
News Use millions to transform Long Island MacArthur... Mon willy Dewitt 1
Review: Face Off Racing (Feb '10) Mon thestainmaster 220
do anybody know the fortunato's (Mar '09) Apr 21 Jackass 48
News Northport teacher arrested for "inappropriate r... (Mar '07) Apr 20 Bumpkinsville Bubba 247

Bay Shore Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bay Shore Mortgages