Growing Up Gay on Long Island

Apr 8, 2010 Full story: www.longislandpress.com 36

It's Friday night in Bay Shore, and groups of noisy teens are filing into Long Island Gay and Lesbian Youth headquarters.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

#1 Apr 8, 2010
I grew up gay on Long Island. I HAD to move to West Virginia to come out. It is the GAYEST place I have ever lived and I had the BEST time of my life there.

If I had come out in high school at Commack South in the early 70's, I would not have survived. It was tough enough just having an Irish last name there.

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#2 Apr 8, 2010
My late first wife's mother had a heterosexual friend who owned a number of houses in Fire Island. This friend of my mother-in-law invited my then fiancee Marsha and I to spend a week over there in 1972. The number of gay couples walking arm-in-arm was a bit of a shock to me. I would go back the next year with my wife (I married her the previous February) and it was somewhat less shocking to me than it was the year before. I suspect Fire Island, a small island off of Long Island may be one of the gayest places in all of America.
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

#3 Apr 8, 2010
flbadcatowner wrote:
My late first wife's mother had a heterosexual friend who owned a number of houses in Fire Island. This friend of my mother-in-law invited my then fiancee Marsha and I to spend a week over there in 1972. The number of gay couples walking arm-in-arm was a bit of a shock to me. I would go back the next year with my wife (I married her the previous February) and it was somewhat less shocking to me than it was the year before. I suspect Fire Island, a small island off of Long Island may be one of the gayest places in all of America.
With all due respect, having been born in Brooklyn and living on Long Island for more than 50 years, Fire Island and Long Island are 2 different Islands. And Fire Island is no more reminiscent of Long Island than is Alabama.

There are a LOT of populates islands in that small area of the country including, but not limited to Long Island, Manhattan Island, Staten Island, Fire Island, City Island, Roosevelt Island, Shelter Island, Fisher's Island, etc., and each one is different from one another.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#4 Apr 8, 2010
For representational and governmental purposes, Fire Island is for all practicle purposes linked with Long Island. You said yourself that Long Island was a very gay area. Fire Island just happens to be a favorite resort used by the gays on Long Island.
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

#5 Apr 8, 2010
flbadcatowner wrote:
For representational and governmental purposes, Fire Island is for all practicle purposes linked with Long Island. You said yourself that Long Island was a very gay area. Fire Island just happens to be a favorite resort used by the gays on Long Island.
i NEVER said Long Island is a very gay area.

i said Huntington, West Virginia, where I lived for a couple of years was VERY gay.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#6 Apr 8, 2010
Frank Stanton wrote:
<quoted text>
i NEVER said Long Island is a very gay area.
i said Huntington, West Virginia, where I lived for a couple of years was VERY gay.
If i misinterpreted your remarks, I'm sorry. My contention that fire Island is one of the gayer places in the USA still stands.
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

#7 Apr 8, 2010
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>If i misinterpreted your remarks, I'm sorry. My contention that fire Island is one of the gayer places in the USA still stands.
Fire Island has many villages and communities. The two "gay ones" are Cherry Grove and Fire Island Pines. The other villages and communities on Fire Island are not at all anything like those 2 small communities, so all of Fire Island is not gay.

Have you ever been there ? Just curious.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#8 Apr 8, 2010
I went twice with my late first wife, once while engaged to her and the other while married to her. Her mother's friend was a widow who owner several houses in Cherry Grove. Back in the early 70's when I went there as a guest of my first wife's mother's friend, it seemed to be somewhat less than 50% gay. It is entirely possible that it may be nearly all gay by now. My mother-in-law stopped visiting Fire Island with my father-in-law because of the increased incidence of nude sunbathing on the beach back in the mid 70's. I made reference to visiting Cherry Grove in an earlier post on this thread. I do remember seeing a number of dogs having the free run of the beachand in particular, a very friendly Doberman named "Inca".
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

#9 Apr 8, 2010
flbadcatowner wrote:
I went twice with my late first wife, once while engaged to her and the other while married to her. Her mother's friend was a widow who owner several houses in Cherry Grove. Back in the early 70's when I went there as a guest of my first wife's mother's friend, it seemed to be somewhat less than 50% gay. It is entirely possible that it may be nearly all gay by now. My mother-in-law stopped visiting Fire Island with my father-in-law because of the increased incidence of nude sunbathing on the beach back in the mid 70's. I made reference to visiting Cherry Grove in an earlier post on this thread. I do remember seeing a number of dogs having the free run of the beachand in particular, a very friendly Doberman named "Inca".
Well, don't judge all of Fire Island by 2 small communities. And there are over 300 named communities on Long Island.
Is_it_4-20_yet

Norcross, GA

#10 Apr 9, 2010
Every community on Fire Island is small and each has it's own flavor. Some are gay and some are known for straight singles. Some for families some for......

The Pines is gay and one of the most wealthy, if not the most wealthy.

Yes I have spent time at two of the communities on Fire Island and the best thing is no roads or cars.
Frank Stanton wrote:
<quoted text>
Fire Island has many villages and communities. The two "gay ones" are Cherry Grove and Fire Island Pines. The other villages and communities on Fire Island are not at all anything like those 2 small communities, so all of Fire Island is not gay.
Have you ever been there ? Just curious.
Is_it_4-20_yet

Norcross, GA

#11 Apr 9, 2010
They are all small, but as a matter of fact, the Pines is one of the biggest of the 10.
Older single school teachers go to Kismet and Saltaire, younger single straights go to Davis Park.
Families go to Ocean Beach and Lonelyville and Point o'Woods.
There is even a camp ground that is booked a year in advance.
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

#12 Apr 9, 2010
Is_it_4-20_yet wrote:
Every community on Fire Island is small and each has it's own flavor. Some are gay and some are known for straight singles. Some for families some for......
The Pines is gay and one of the most wealthy, if not the most wealthy.
Yes I have spent time at two of the communities on Fire Island and the best thing is no roads or cars.
<quoted text>
I used to go to Cherry Grove a LOT, but the last time I went was in 1990.
TonyT1961

Bronx, NY

#13 Feb 3, 2011
Really

Since: Apr 09

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Feb 4, 2011
TonyT1961 wrote:
Really
In a newday artical last week the town of Malvern was listed as the gayest town on Long Island and the east coast. Mostly anyone who lives there and writes gay messages on topix.
wall to wall closet

West Islip, NY

#15 Feb 4, 2011
There's a gay/bisexual karate instructor in Smithtown for tigerschulmanns.His dad came out of the closet and left his mother for another man. The karate teacher is proud about it.
coram resident

Marlboro, NJ

#16 Feb 4, 2011
dont let your kids near that instructor!!!! i thought everyone in smithtown was gay.
someone

Dumont, NJ

#17 Feb 5, 2011
i need to suck something special this night! hope there are some nice guys who want to enjoy it.
i'm at the crown plaza 1730 no ocean ave.
Mastic Resident

New York, NY

#18 Feb 5, 2011
I live in Mastic,and I am GAY. I was beat and robbed by a bunch of Mastic savages a few years ago. Mastic is one unsafe Ghetto loaded with Welfare trash.

I heard Shirley is a GAY friendly town with a GAY social club.
Really

Bronx, NY

#19 Feb 5, 2011
dont be gay
Mastic resident

New York, NY

#20 Feb 5, 2011
There is a Gay meeting in Shirley Monday night in the firehouse. All Gays , hoooooomooooos and freaks please come to Shirley if your not there already!

Party Monday night, Free sausage party in the firehouse. Eat All you can Free Sausage in Shirley Mondaynight

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bay Shore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 4 hr Ratloder 118,742
Review: Airport Transportation 13 hr nano 1
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 20 hr Bruser 2,323
The loud music is out control in Brentwood Wed Squafdonoboles 3
Need a Commercial electrician in Ronkonkoma? (Feb '13) Wed Jerry Boggs 5
Review: Kindlewood Fireplace Corp (Sep '13) Wed John Kindlewood 3
International Baccalaureate program (May '10) Wed Dianne 415

Bay Shore News Video

Bay Shore Dating
Find my Match