Bringing Back the Old Bay St. Louis

There are 272 comments on the Sunherald.com story from Sep 14, 2009, titled Bringing Back the Old Bay St. Louis. In it, Sunherald.com reports that:

Hurricane Katrina did more than wreak havoc on lives and property when it struck in 2005: It also stripped away much of the charm and ambience that historically drew people here.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sunherald.com.

Merchant

Gulfport, MS

#222 May 13, 2010
Interesting, very interesting indeed. Don't think we will here Ellis complaining about this in his quotes because the publisher's wife is on the board of the Mind, Body & Spirit Foundation and he would never say a bad word about the chamber.
local

Gulfport, MS

#223 May 13, 2010
no surprise everything around here is connected. tish just does what she wants.
Merchant wrote:
Hancock County Chamber of Commerce -
"Working as one, our goal is to rebuild a remarkable and memorable place, one that values quality of life, as well as long-term prosperity. We are the gem of the Gulf Coast."
Beautification Committee -To promote anti-litter campaigns and beautification awards.
Chair: Ellis Cuevas
Hancock Community Development Foundation
Chair: Basil Kennedy
Finance Chair: Linda McKay
Grants Chair: Jeremy Compretta
Staff: Tish Williams, Carol Wasielewski, Mike Chapoton, Lynne Chasez, Moli Kergosien
What do you know? The Mind, Body and Spirit Foundation happens to be an off-shoot of the Hancock Community Development Foundation, which happens to be part of the Hancock County Chamber of Commerce. Is the spray painting on the newly paved roads part of the educational or beautification mission of the chamber?
Really

Diamondhead, MS

#224 May 13, 2010
Just another normal day in clown town.
funny

Gulfport, MS

#225 May 13, 2010
so true....
Merchant wrote:
Well they should clean their spray paint up as soon as possible. I guess the mind, body, spirit foundation doesn't understand respect for your surroundings includes not defacing our newly paved streets. And just so you know, the Chamber has spray painted Main St. marking where the booths are to be set up! Don't they have a beautification committee! What the heck!
<quoted text>
funny

Gulfport, MS

#226 May 13, 2010
yep...
Merchant wrote:
Well they should clean their spray paint up as soon as possible. I guess the mind, body, spirit foundation doesn't understand respect for your surroundings includes not defacing our newly paved streets. And just so you know, the Chamber has spray painted Main St. marking where the booths are to be set up! Don't they have a beautification committee! What the heck!
<quoted text>
funny

Gulfport, MS

#227 May 13, 2010
it is all one big circle around here...
Merchant wrote:
The Mind, Body, and Spirit Foundation, a collaborative community initiative, encourages the pursuit of teacher education through the issuing of college scholarships which are made available through community activities that promote and model healthy lifestyle choices.
501(c)(3) Non-Profit Organization
Education Division of the Hancock Community Development Foundation
Founders:
Dr. Andy Parker, principal Bay High School
Dr. Cherie Labat, principal Bay-Waveland Middle
Brad Barlow, Child Nutrition Director Bay -Waveland School
Penny J. Rodrique, Curriculum & Instructional Technology Director Bay Waveland Schools
Board Members:
Dr. Sherry Ponder
Jenny Bell - Advertising Agency Owner
Sherri Bevis, Executive Director Bay-Waveland Main Street Association
Wonder if the Bay Waveland School District would mind if I spray painted on their property? How about on one of those nice new buildings?
The leadership of this organization should set a better example for this community.
anon

Urbandale, IA

#228 May 14, 2010
Talk about a circle.
The agenda is coming to a circular close. Take a look at the new zoning proposals and add the harbor and look at the timing and check out who stands to benefit. Oh what a web we weave......Notice too that every councilman is involved/participating.
sunny side up

Waveland, MS

#229 May 14, 2010
There is nothing that happens around here that surprises me anymore. Forget honesty, character, and doing what is best when it comes to business and politics around this town.
observer

Biloxi, MS

#230 May 14, 2010
http://12.68.233.230/40/articl e_4170.shtml

Does Bobby Compretta have to ask Les when to wipe his @ss too? Since when does anyone have to "consult" with the mayor before they send out an email? Get real. Looks like Mr. Compretta doesn't understand the concept of free speech or appreciate opposing opinions. Les is full 'o cr@p when he stated that the city is no closer to the money than before. That is simply not true. The money has been ALLOCATED to the city for the purpose of a marina by the MDA. The application for this project was submitted to and approved by the MDA years ago (before Les was elected). The city, the harbor committee and the MDA have just been going through the bureaucratic processes to get the money released. Backroom, backdoor & closed room deals still going on....as usual around here. Wake up, Mr. Compretta!
observer

Biloxi, MS

#231 May 14, 2010
try this link instead - http://tinyurl.com/2d84g5x
or go to www.seacoastecho.com to see the story on the marina.
observer wrote:
http://12.68.233.230/40/articl e_4170.shtml
Does Bobby Compretta have to ask Les when to wipe his @ss too? Since when does anyone have to "consult" with the mayor before they send out an email? Get real. Looks like Mr. Compretta doesn't understand the concept of free speech or appreciate opposing opinions. Les is full 'o cr@p when he stated that the city is no closer to the money than before. That is simply not true. The money has been ALLOCATED to the city for the purpose of a marina by the MDA. The application for this project was submitted to and approved by the MDA years ago (before Les was elected). The city, the harbor committee and the MDA have just been going through the bureaucratic processes to get the money released. Backroom, backdoor & closed room deals still going on....as usual around here. Wake up, Mr. Compretta!
amused

Biloxi, MS

#232 May 19, 2010
Thank you, Mr. Welch, for your insightful commentary on the state of the city's reovery projects and the rubber stampers aka, the city council, that sit idly by and approve them as they come in.

The absurdity of an additional $59,000 for a duck pond at the depot is beyond comprehension. I don't think the irony of added smoke detectors for the new fire station was lost on too many people either.

Thank you for speaking up for us!
anon

Urbandale, IA

#233 May 21, 2010
Harbor Committee and Mayor are making sure that Council will be railroaded into accepting the 15+Million by using fear tactics and without a proper business plan. Never have seen a public Harbor Committee meeting advertised. They should take a lesson from the BP mess. It will eventually all come out but it will be too late. The disaster is on its way. Council should have grown a set a long time ago. Cost of dredging and other questions asked directly of Council have not been answered and the Mayor says that only 1 person in town objects. What a lie.
sway tactic

Gulfport, MS

#234 May 21, 2010
anon wrote:
Harbor Committee and Mayor are making sure that Council will be railroaded into accepting the 15+Million by using fear tactics and without a proper business plan. Never have seen a public Harbor Committee meeting advertised. They should take a lesson from the BP mess. It will eventually all come out but it will be too late. The disaster is on its way. Council should have grown a set a long time ago. Cost of dredging and other questions asked directly of Council have not been answered and the Mayor says that only 1 person in town objects. What a lie.
mighty big to call someone a liar and sign your name anon
taxpayer

Urbandale, IA

#235 Jun 7, 2010
sure am glad that we don't have to pay marina costs this year. income down everywhere before this oil mess just think how high our taxes would have to go up next year. we are losing our income our way of living and playing our property value and the future of our children. idiots in power making wrong decisions have caused this and our govenor says that our beaches are better than our neighbors. BFD no one believes it.
Old Town Historian

Oneonta, AL

#236 Jun 7, 2010
Has anyone thought of turning the old City Hall into a museum? Couldn't it be done rather inexpensively compared to other projects on the table? Since Alice Mosely closed I've noticed a gap in the art activity, especially since the young, vivacious director (Martha) is working in another field. She was a walking BSL arts promoter. I really miss stopping by the museum if only for a few minutes. Her excitement was contagious. With her at the helm, I believe we could eventually have a top museum in the area.
When did that happen

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#237 Jun 8, 2010
Old Town Historian wrote:
Has anyone thought of turning the old City Hall into a museum? Couldn't it be done rather inexpensively compared to other projects on the table? Since Alice Mosely closed I've noticed a gap in the art activity, especially since the young, vivacious director (Martha) is working in another field. She was a walking BSL arts promoter. I really miss stopping by the museum if only for a few minutes. Her excitement was contagious. With her at the helm, I believe we could eventually have a top museum in the area.
Alice Mosley Closed? when did that happen? I thought Linda Lou Nelson and Debra Kennedy where working to keep it open. They took over just a few months ago. You must be mistaken about it closing.
Joker

Gulfport, MS

#238 Jun 9, 2010
You said a mouthful when you said Linda Lou and Debra.....
When did that happen wrote:
<quoted text>
Alice Mosley Closed? when did that happen? I thought Linda Lou Nelson and Debra Kennedy where working to keep it open. They took over just a few months ago. You must be mistaken about it closing.
Get a MS tag

Springfield, MO

#239 Jun 10, 2010
Speaking of Ms. Linda Lou, someone needs to tell her it is time to exchange her Florida license plate for a Mississippi tag.
The "Event" is over and the "Staff" might get a ticket!
Good Point

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#240 Jun 10, 2010
You are right about her tag. I never thought about it but she says she was here for several years before Katrina. That means she's been skipping out on her duty for at least 5 to 7 years. Isn't she an attorney, doesn't she know there could be charges filed???
LaGator

Gulfport, MS

#241 Jun 11, 2010
She doesn't care. She probably has her car registered to some phony company in Cali. Like you said, she is an attorney she has probably already figured out how to not pay our crazy car tag fees and get away with it legally.
Good Point wrote:
You are right about her tag. I never thought about it but she says she was here for several years before Katrina. That means she's been skipping out on her duty for at least 5 to 7 years. Isn't she an attorney, doesn't she know there could be charges filed???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bay St. Louis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
looking for delic May 22 pim314159 1
looking for H May 22 pim314159 2
MNL Truck Sales (Aug '11) May 21 anonymous guy 43
Debate: Obama-Marriage - Waveland, MS (Jul '12) May 19 Nancy 5
News Court system recruiting more interpreters May 17 Drive Through 2
Bed & Breakfast under the radar May 15 Bud 1
who is the cute black girl that works at the bb... May 4 curious 1
More from around the web

Bay St. Louis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE