of 2
Next Last
Mary Jane

Gulfport, MS

#1 Aug 20, 2010
Bay legalizes ‘herbal incense’
By J.R. Welsh
Aug 20, 2010

Bay St. Louis remained one of the few places in South Mississippi this week to allow sales of "herbal incense," or synthetic marijuana, after the city council decided to ignore recommendations from the mayor and police chief that the substance be outlawed.

The decision came Tuesday, after laborious debate and confusion over what the council was even voting on. But in the end, Councilman Joey Boudin won a 5-2 vote to allow continued sales of Spice, Bay Breeze, and other synthetic drugs to anyone 21 or older.

The new law takes effect 30 days from its passage, and will be reexamined then. After that, merchants caught selling the substances to minors can be fined from $500 to $1,000 for a first offense, with no jail time required.

Only Councilmen Bobby Compretta and Ray Kidd held a hard line and voted against Boudin's motion for continued sales. The motion was seconded by Jeff Reed and also received yea votes from Doug Seal, Bill Taylor, and Wendy McDonald.

Boudin maintained that the state, not the city council, should be prohibiting sales of phony marijuana that gets users high, but does not contain the key illegal ingredient THC. He said many substances, including common paint, can be used as intoxicants.

"What are we going to do, take paint off the shelves? Where are we going to stop?" Boudin said.

Proponents of the ban said the substances have already been outlawed by many Coast cities, including Waveland, Pass Christian, Long Beach, Gulfport, and others. The State of Louisiana, the military, and many foreign nations have also outlawed them, and police are already making arrests for sale and possession of synthetic marijuana in Gulfport, Biloxi, and other areas.

Compretta and Kidd said the Bay should have followed suit. "I think we have a responsibility to protect our children," Compretta said.

Mayor Les Fillingame had supported the move to ban the substances, and city attorney Donald Rafferty wrote an ordinance outlawing sales and possession. In addition, Deputy Police Chief Mike De Nardo told the council that health officials have reported teen-agers becoming ill after using false marijuana.

"One kid affected by it is too much. Somebody's going to die from this stuff," De Nardo said.

In the beginning, Seal had harsh words for merchants who sell fake marijuana and claim the substance is sold only for use as an incense.

"That's a crock of B.S.," Seal said. But in the end, he supported Boudin's motion, agreeing the state, not individual cities, should pass a law against selling the substances.

At one point during the Tuesday meeting, Taylor pledged opposition to the sale of fake pot. "I'm for totally banning it," he said. Then, less than 10 minutes later, he also voted for Boudin's pro-sales motion.

Fillingame was visibly upset following the vote. "It's still going to be perfectly legal, and there's going to be a lot of it sold in Bay St. Louis," he said.

He asked the council to at least pass a resolution asking the state to outlaw the substances. That request was ignored by council members.

Fillingame was also critical of merchants who sell phony marijuana. He responded to a presentation by Julius Landry – owner of Bay Tobacco and Beer – who hired a lawyer and a lobbyist to fight the proposed total ban.

"While I respect Mr. Landry's right to make money, at what price to our community is he going to be making that money?" the mayor said.

Landry praised the council for voting in his favor. "I want to thank the council for not jumping on the bandwagon and rushing to judgment," he said Thursday. "I appreciate them siding on Americans' right to choose."

Reed, who represents the Third Ward, also said it's not the job of city government to prohibit sales of substances that have not been officially proven dangerous. "It's the parents' responsibility to protect their kids," he said.
Mary Jane

Gulfport, MS

#2 Aug 20, 2010
Only to BSL politicians would a decision like this seem "logical" LOL!
Half Baked

Gulfport, MS

#3 Aug 21, 2010
I love how these ding-a-lings say it's the state's job to regulate this then go ahead and pass a law regulating the age of who can buy it. Why do you have to be 21 anyway? Can't you vote and die fighting for your country at 18? It it is the state's job why did they do anything? What a bunch of goofballs.

How are they going to claim that they are not liable when someone dies from an OD or bad side effect from this stuff? They would have been much better off, whether it's the state's job or not, voting no to stop the sale of this stuff. They practically endorsed this product with their vote. Wonder what the average IQ of this group is?
What is next

Waveland, MS

#4 Aug 22, 2010
Okay, so if they make a fake "crack cocaine" or a fake "meth" then it will be legal in BSL????
sober

Biloxi, MS

#5 Aug 22, 2010
where is it sold at in bay of st louis
Julian

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#6 Aug 22, 2010
Bay Tobacco is where you can get spice. As of this week you have to be 21. Sorry to all under this age I've been selling to, you can't get it anymore unless your uncle comes in... <wink>.

We really appreaciate the bay being so liberal and understanding how our product has wellness benefits.
do not beleive it

United States

#7 Aug 24, 2010
I was at the council meeting and honestly was suprised. I listened to the police chief dinardo now i don't like him i use to work there, but is he the only one that sees the danger we are facing. now the honorable rev reed who is my councilman a man of the cloth, to say it is the parents responsibility to protect their kids, well mr reed its all our responsibility especially the governing body of the city. comeon council members we can do better we put there for that reason.
What a sad day it is

United States

#8 Aug 24, 2010
You are giving the wrong message to all of our children Your Honorable Rev. Reed. It doesn't matter what we preach at home to our children when adults have given the okay to buy and sell synthetic marijuana. It's inappropriate to even compare a can of paint to synthetic marijuana. If you wish to go that route with your comparisons, you are not able to buy glue for model airplanes at just any retail store. I'm very disappointed with my councilman Bill Taylor. He knows better and should have gone with his first gut instinct which is always the right one. He had a very bad lapse of judgment on this one. Why was this not put to a vote by the citizens of Bay Saint Louis?, pray tell.
What a sad day it is

United States

#9 Aug 24, 2010
I noticed my post says I'm from Biloxi. Not so, I live in the Bay.
toasted

Gulfport, MS

#10 Aug 24, 2010
hey dude now i know where all my friends are going to get the good stuff. dudes thanks for making it so easy. dudes you are the best.
White Castle

Gulfport, MS

#11 Aug 24, 2010
Harold "Dude, we're so high right now!"
Kumar "We're not low!"

Harold "I want that."
Kumar "What? A Hot Dog Heaven super chili cheese dog?
Harold "No. I want that feeling. The feeling that comes over a man when he gets exactly what he desires. I need that feeling!"
Kumar "Are you saying what I think you're saying?"
Harold "We gotta go to White Castle."
Kumar "YES! YES! I knew you had it in you dude!"
Fast Times

Gulfport, MS

#13 Aug 24, 2010
Mr. Hand "What are you, people? On dope?"

Spicoli "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buds, a lil bay breeze and I'm fine."

Spicoli on driving and stoned "People on 'ludes and spice should not drive."

Spicoli "That was my skull! I'm so wasted!"
Scarface

Gulfport, MS

#14 Aug 24, 2010
Classic Tony Montana:

1. I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

2. Every day above ground is a good day.

3. In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women and the local politicians.
Weeds

Gulfport, MS

#15 Aug 24, 2010
"don't look at me I'm f'up on cornbread"

"I'm not a dealer, I'm a mother who happens to distribute illegal products through a sham bakery set up by my ethically questionable CPA and his crooked lawyer friend."

"You listen, you stay away from my customer base. Don't deal to kids."

"Nance, trust me, a bakery is virtually impossible to run without drug money."

"This is for you, Snowflake. This my special blend, I call this here Clark Kent. Just sniff this, right here. It’s good, huh?! You smoke this s**t and you just wanna rip your clothes off in a phone booth and fight crime. I’m serious!"
ooh

Urbandale, IA

#16 Aug 27, 2010
julius, julius julius,julius,julius whats ya gonna do when they come for uuuuuuuuu. oh wait you can buy someone something that'll work.
Fuhget about it

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#17 Aug 28, 2010
That was the stupidest vote the Bay Council has ever made. Everyone of them that voted to legalize it should be ran out of town. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid

and to that little Weazle from Bay Tobacco... you are a morally deprived arrogant little piss ant. You should go back up north where you belong.
not me

Urbandale, IA

#18 Aug 29, 2010
bay tabacco i was reading inthe paper all the nice causes you so greatfull helped and to think none of them is going to help you. That is a shame even if our orginzation did not get any help we understand you tried but it fell on people who did not care.
Fuhget about it

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#19 Aug 29, 2010
So if your organization would have gotten some money then you would have supported him to keep dealing his dope?

That's crazy
not me

Urbandale, IA

#20 Aug 31, 2010
No you misunderstood or i did not show enough scarzism (spelling) there are hundreds of bussiness that donated not only money but time.they never askd for anythin in return they were showing apprication andgivin bac to the cities they love. no i do not support his or anyones drug dealn. sorry if i gave that impression
Forgot it

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#21 Sep 2, 2010
The sooner this lowlife gets out of town the better.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bay St. Louis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MNL Truck Sales (Aug '11) 11 hr just wondering 39
News Biloxi's A.J. Holloway is coast's highest paid ... (Sep '14) 21 hr R Ramsey 11
News Spring break college students help spruce up th... Mar 25 Carlos 1
News Bay councilman airs grievances with city at boa... Mar 25 bay watcher 3
News Three arrested in Bay St. Louis for making expl... Mar 25 victim 1
Closing the Gap of Generations Mar 22 bishopmichaelkel 1
Gulf Grove Apartments, Waveland, Mississippi (Apr '12) Mar 19 waveland wave 39

Flood Warning for Hancock County was issued at March 28 at 9:00PM CDT

Bay St. Louis Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Bay St. Louis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance