concerned

Baxley, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2011

what's going on with the rec department here?
susie q

Baxley, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2011

I am not sure. I just hope it doesn't have an effect on the children's games.
bunny

Baxley, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2011

me too
your grandmother

Baxley, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2011

Judged:

not nice mom of two...
Sports fan

Baxley, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2011

Rec needs a change..
sports fan

Savannah, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2011

the rec. dept has went down hill for years. the workers schedule games so that they can get the season over. this gives them more time to ride the rides. lewis parker wanted in office so that he could get his wife back in her position so that she could get her retirement. the face is that the kids of appling co. have to be kept busy, otherwise our kids are gonna get bored and ride dirt roads and do drugs. jeff davis rec dept has flag footbaLL at 5 yrs old while our kids have to wait until 7 yrs old to play. sports is a priority, our kids need excitement and less boredom. please get involved for our kids. the kids have no voice, we(as parents) are their voice. what a great atmosphere for kids to be involved in.

“WHATEVER”

Since: May 10

Baxley, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2011

Judged:

i wish there was something we could do to get flag football @ 5 yrs old here... that would be nice, i have a 4 yr old that is ready for sports...

Since: Apr 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

Judged:

Mr lewis just hurt this rect dept by firing Coleman. I agree if anyone should have been fired it should have been Wilton. Micheal Coleman is the grpa president as of this past jan. And now lewis has fired him, now let me explain what they can entail. From what I understand Coleman will paid the rest of his contract for 2 yrs(Jan 12) and while his contract is still being paid we can not hire another rest director so guess who is running the show now WILTON MCCALL. And not only that when you do not have a rect director that means it is possible that you can't take part in all star events WOW did you know that. Which I think we will but we CAN NOT host any grpa state tournament which brings in alot of money to this county. Hotels, gas, restaurants, and many other things. The only way can host or attend all star events is if the GRPA president says so. Now who did I say was president, guess who Micheal Coleman and yeah he pretty much got fired because he fired mrs Vickie after she walked out on her own then tried to come back and he would not let her. Which he shouldn't have. If you leave your job would you be hired back, NO!!! Which mrs Vickie did a wonderful job up there but she was not done wrong in any fashion. So what was bad just went to terrible. And I have been told by many that mr. Lewis and Wilton mccall are close friends so don't look for him to be going anywhere anytime soon. And if you don't wanna take my word for this ask anyone close to the situation. They needed to be changes made but I don't think this was the way to do it. What we all are forgetting is that this about the KIDS. But we get so caught up in politics we destroy their future by allowing politics to enter. I pray we fix this someway somehow.....:(
WOW

Greensboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2011

Judged:

Mom of two - if you're not racist why did you have to bring skin color in it? Is is that things aren't going your way? I'm not sure what gives any of us the right to judge anyone. Aren't we glad that our jobs don't require us to please so many parents that believe their child is the best... If you are not happy now it's just going to get worse as they grow older. I hope this is not the attitude we are teaching our children. I'm not perfect and don't claim to be and I'm sure not going to judge anyone else. I understand that is not my job to do. That honor belongs to a power much greater than I! It shouldn't be up to the rec department to entertain our children either. There are numerous churches in town that have great youth groups. It might be a good idea to get involved in one of those if they don't have enough to do. Maybe you could look into moving across the county line? The grass is not always greener on the other side. They like every other county have their own problems as well. Just a few things to think about instead of name calling and pointing fingers. Not a great example to our kids I don't think...
confused

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2011

ok... if it isnt up to the rec dept to create programs to entertain our children, then what exactly is the point of the rec dept? why do we have the nice baseball field and people to run the program if not for the children? not everyone goes to church, some of us prefer to worship at home rather than get sucked into the politics of church... you think the children that do not go to church dont deserve recreational activities?
WOW

Greensboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2011

No one said recreation wasn't important! As a matter of fact my children are very proud of me and I am proud of them. My children went through the rec department in Appling County and then played sports with the school system. I have also been involved in many of the children's lives in Appling County and am proud of that as well! To this day I still see many of them when I visit and they hug me because they knew I cared about them. My post was only pointing out that as adults we need to set examples for our children. I know we are talking about adults here but calling names and judging is something we would be quick to point out if someone did this to us or our children. Love the quote you used. I totally believe it. "All work and no play does make Jack a dull boy." Not sure what that had to with my post. I just suggested getting them involved with a church youth group as well. I've dealt with many children over the years and I have to be honest most of them were not in the sports area but I did find that the students with the best work ethics and the ones that tried the hardest in all they did - were not the ones that only were involved in sports (although I loved it when you had a coach behind you) but the ones that were involved in both sports and a church group or some other worthy organization. We all have the right to express our thoughts/opinions and I know none of us were put on this earth to judge others. It's sad that adults see that as ok to do but will be the first to holler if the role were reversed. Like you I was only expressing my opinion. Best to you and your two children.
WOW

Greensboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2011

Judged:

confused wrote:
ok... if it isnt up to the rec dept to create programs to entertain our children, then what exactly is the point of the rec dept? why do we have the nice baseball field and people to run the program if not for the children? not everyone goes to church, some of us prefer to worship at home rather than get sucked into the politics of church... you think the children that do not go to church dont deserve recreational activities?
Now I'm the one confused! As a parent I have never felt it was anyone's job to "entertain" my children. The rec department has many functions. One of them being a place for families to become involved and enjoy family time. It's obvious that everyone doesn't go to church and that's their right as well. No one said that children that didn't go to church do not deserve recreational activities. As a matter of fact I felt like my time around children there was a part of my ministry. Sometimes this was the only place some of these children felt special and didn't get hollered at for doing something wrong. I made it a point to be that witness to all the children. It is not the rec departments, churches or anyone's job to "entertain" our children any more than it's the schools job to be the only one responsible for the child's learning. Parents are given responsibilities too. My post only listed suggestions. My only point was we need to be the one setting the examples. It starts with us - one parent/adult at the time. Sorry if you misunderstood my intentions. Best to you.
confused

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2011

well i think the rec dept should be just about the kids... i spend more time with my son than anyone else...we do everything together, i dont expect anyone to entertain him, and i would never be one of those parents that drop their kids off at the rec dept just for a babysitter... but i dont think the rec dept should pay anyone... it should be run by volunteers that want to help and spend time with children, i dont think there should be paid positions there... there should be a board of people who decide whats good for the kids, not one person in charge of everything...we should all get a say in what activities are held... if that was the case there would be things for the younger kids to do... im not bashing anyone i just dont understand why someone should have to get paid to work with the youth of the county...
confused

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2011

and what i meant by my first post was responding to when you said it wasnt the rec dept`s job to entertain our children... i wasnt saying it was their place to "solely" entertain our kids but what i want to know is if the dept isnt here for the children to have activities, what is the point of having one?
Just sayin

Jesup, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2011

Judged:

It is very obvious after the Jamboree this past Saturday that our Rec. Dept suffers in a lot of ways! The only one I can comment on is the 9 and 10 yr mite boys because that is where my son plays and it is very obvious that the rules of the game are different from county to county and what i would really like to know is why they are so different? Are we not up with the times or what? Jeff Davis" 9 and 10 yr olds are taught very different rules about baseball than Appling. We need to get with it and get connected or something!! Maybe sponsorship by our local businesses would give the coaches a little more encouragement to teach these kids the true rules of the game. However I do understand that the coaches are volunteers and do not get paid and they have jobs and families to support and that makes it hard for them to practice like the kids need! But Seriously Appling Rec Dept looked very bad this past saturday with Jeff Davis winning all the games except for Two that I heard of! Maybe we need to take lessons from how Jeff Davis Rec Dept is ran and see if we can have a better Rec Dept.
WOW

Greensboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2011

Ur right, "Just Saying" the coaches are volunteers and do NOT get paid. The only ones that get paid and actually work for the rec dept are the ones that keep the facilities running and the grass cut, etc. I think the ones that call the games are paid a small fee for each game but even those are hard to find at times. There is also a board of directors for the rec department so for those that have concerns I suggest you find out who those board members are and express your concerns to them. It's not fair to judge/blame and call names when others have a say in what goes on. Also, get involved by volunteering. They can use males and females. Getting involved is much better than sitting back complaining. Find out what is going on and let your voice be heard in a way that counts and actually shows your concern and willingness to help make it better. I know of very few people, programs, schools and/or companies that couldn't always use constructive criticism and make improvement.
Jeff Davis Parent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

Jeff Davis follows GRPA rules. Coaches should not be allowed on the field with 7, 8, 9 or 10 year olds. The halfway line stops at the 9 and 10 level. Appling allowed seven pitches to each batter which is ridiculous. Three strikes and your out. Period. GRPA is 46 ft. and 44 mph across the plate in 9 and 10. Appling has always had a very successful baseball program but if things don't change with the rec dep building these young players, Appling will no longer be a threat at the higher level.
Rockinhawk

Conway, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2011

Judged:

I wish Appling Co. had a better Rec. Dept. Too.Maybe this wouldn't have happened.

Two Appling Co. men came to The ball field in Hazlehurst and were hitting balls over the fence into traffic. One of them Busted my windshield as I was driving by. When I approached them about it they said"Too bad!! We have as much right to hit balls into the street as you do to drive on it."

So now I have a busted windshield Because Men from Appling Co. had rather play in Hazlehurst than Baxley.
id be pissed

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2011

did you call the police? it cannot be legal to purposly hit balls into the street at cars?
Rockinhawk

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2011

id be pissed wrote:
did you call the police? it cannot be legal to purposly hit balls into the street at cars?
Yes I called the police. Chief Land said They are responsible for the damage, but even though they admit breaking my windshield, they refused to do anything about it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of43
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Baxley Discussions

Search the Baxley Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
eric church live in hazlehurst! 9 min Country Lover 2
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 1 hr jeb stuart 47,970
mom leaves daughter to ride motorcycles in Stan... 5 hr smdh 4
Hate 7 hr Jenny 11
GA Who do you support for Governor in Georgia in 2... (Oct '10) 10 hr marvinstevens 2,040
solution for this town. 10 hr BBB 4
Lotto Winner Sat alma boy 20
•••
•••
•••
•••

Baxley Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Baxley People Search