reality check

Gridley, KS

#2500 Apr 27, 2010
Even if she did spout off about BM, how many of us haven't? Come on, it's not like it's a tropical island here. I have heard several elected officials talk poorly about BM too, so don't try to take that path. It will be a lot of work for whoever takes over, but will make BM better and will hopefully put an end to the way others view our little town.
inside scoop

United States

#2501 Apr 27, 2010
The Ugly Truth wrote:
I was in a tax office in Elko and over heard Chuck's wife talking about how her husband was running for Sheriff in Lander County. She then progressed to say how stupid the people in the town were. That we were a bunch of redneck hicks and once her husband got elected he was going to school all of us. She also stated that she had no intentions of living in that "crappy little town". This is not someone I want as a Sheriff for my community. The words that his wife said and no doubt he has said to her as he has been the one meeting with the people were not only hurtful but untrue. I would normally say words are cheap but if you believe the anything Chuck Cassell says then it will ending up costing the county his salary and an additional retirement from him. I say "No Thanks" to Chuck Cassell as my Sheriff
Hey Carolyn, I bet you didn't know that I overheard you talking on your cell phone outside the family dollar store, telling who ever you were talking to that you put up a facebook with The current sheriff aka Unger making it look like he was a poor victim of a campaign scam,< why and I mean why would a grown woman make a page and then try and blame it on one of the canidates, isnt it true you also vandalized Ungers signs in order to get symphaty votes, you really should make sure no one is around when you are talking on your phone, by the way was it Unger or just a pathetic little pawn you have in this game your playing grow up Carolyn, take that crap off facebook we all know now you did it!
John L Morton

Conrad, MT

#2502 Apr 27, 2010
The Ugly Truth wrote:
I was in a tax office in Elko and over heard Chuck's wife talking about how her husband was running for Sheriff in Lander County. She then progressed to say how stupid the people in the town were. That we were a bunch of redneck hicks and once her husband got elected he was going to school all of us. She also stated that she had no intentions of living in that "crappy little town". This is not someone I want as a Sheriff for my community. The words that his wife said and no doubt he has said to her as he has been the one meeting with the people were not only hurtful but untrue. I would normally say words are cheap but if you believe the anything Chuck Cassell says then it will ending up costing the county his salary and an additional retirement from him. I say "No Thanks" to Chuck Cassell as my Sheriff
It's very clear that you are aware of Sheriff Unger's non-professional and amatuer 8 year record and you are threatened by the facts and the qualifications of Chuck Cassell. Do you believe the people in Lander County are so shallow and stupid that they would believe playground gossip??? Your trivial rant has no purpose or base. It shows exactly what the Unger Administration has to offer the people of Lander County, absolutely nothing. It never fails,when you cant find anything wrong with someone, you sink lower and attempt to scandalize the family with hearsay or something you made up in your corrupt weak mind. I would wager that most people in this community are not surprised by the dirty politics played by Sheriff Unger's own supporters. If you think youre doing Sheriff Unger a favor, please, and I mean sincerely please, continue with the personal attacks on Chuck Cassell's family. Continue to wage a campaign of gossip, avoiding the real important issues that need to be addressed and you will show the people of Lander County the south end of a north bound jack ass.
Hello Kitty

Elko, NV

#2503 Apr 27, 2010
Gossip is evil, and only comes back to bite you when you spread it.
Ammused

Portland, OR

#2504 Apr 30, 2010
What difference does any of this make? That town is a hell hole. Ron is just as qualified as the next moron to "act" as Sheriff. The entire town is occupied by narrow- minded, alcoholic, gossip-driven, adulterers that are content living in hell. They have no desire to better their town, so why not vote Ron in for another term? It's a perfect match. Viva Sheriff Unger!!!
Two Cents

Portland, OR

#2505 May 2, 2010
I'd like to just comment on Ron being a mechanic... Having former law experience doesn't automatically qualify you as a stand-up character, with the impenetrable ability to uphold the law. Case in point, Washington D.C.

It is surprising that so many people within that town are passionate about it. Perhaps your time would be better spent focusing on how you could come together, and make it a cleaner, more attractive place to live (and visit). The Sheriff's office is just a fraction of the problem. Business owners need to step up, and give back to the community that has sustained them for so long.

Ripley, Etcheverry, Seldin, Spring, Sullivan, Lemaire, Davis', Edgar, Elquist's, Iturriaga, Lake (to name a few, and most).

Updated store fronts, and giving back to your community in the form of donations for a "clean-up" committee (and putting someone in charge with passion and drive). Maybe there could be a committee that tries bringing fun events (plays, farmer's markets, festivals) to town, to generate revenue. How about someone take charge of addressing the old, dilapidated Lemaire Store? Or are you all too consumed with your gossip sessions? We’re all responsible for the state of our own communities.

STEP UP TO BETTER YOURS!
wondering

Reno, NV

#2506 May 2, 2010
Two Cents,yes i agreed with u 100%percent.thank as as i couldnt have said it any better,thanks again.
Two Cents

Portland, OR

#2507 May 2, 2010
Thank you, "wondering". I'm happy to see a positive response.
Two Cents

Portland, OR

#2508 May 2, 2010
Just want to be clear here... I'm talking about privately funded organizations, not the City Council. An "Armit Fesitival" is not at all what I mean. The idea would be to shed a positive light, onto a not so bright situation. Relishing in negativity, be it gossip, or an article in the Washington Post doesn't work.

It is truly maddening to see a town with so much wealth, looking like it does.

I'd also like to say, as much as it may hurt local business, that a few less trailers would certainly help in the beautification process. Sorry!
wondering

Reno, NV

#2509 May 2, 2010
maybe so,some of the homes need to be torn down as well.well,there are a lot of storage bulding around town as well,why do we need so many?the side roads need to be fix,and why it seems just maybe the court house roads and the hospital always get it before any other areas of the road get done.
Two Cents

Portland, OR

#2510 May 2, 2010
The roads ARE atrocious, and most definitely a few structures need to be removed, you're right. It would be so nice to see some effort made by the city to improve such issues.

It's like everyone is asleep at the wheel, or they just simply do not care. I don't know why that is. I think for the most part, the residents of Battle Mountain are good, hard working, honest people. I know many of them take pride in their homes & properties, so why not exhibit that same pride in your community?

I personally think it would be great if some of the local contractors would volunteer to bring some much needed improvements to the swimming pool & park. And if some of the millionaires of that town would open the bowling alley. That place is in desperate need of activities, outside of hunting and the casinos.

You know, people have tried (Ron Unger included), to improve things like the rodeo grounds, but then somehow, things always seem to fall short. There doesn't seem to be anyone with enough drive to keep the momentum going. I'd really like to see things change for the better in that town.

And for what it's worth... I like the idea that there is a Sheriff willing to take a phone call @ 3am, or wants you to come to his office for a face to face conversation.

PS- Not advocating for any candidate, just for change!
a little bird told me

United States

#2511 May 2, 2010
I heard that Unger screwed up the entire arrest for the case with all the stolen equipment. Heard there was no investigation, just half assed through it and now the guy is going to get off. Anyone know if that is completely true or not?
wondering

Reno, NV

#2512 May 2, 2010
yes i agreed,i like having a sheriff,willing to take a call at any time of the day or night,also one that will talk to u inside of his office.same here,im not advocating for any of the candidate. u are so right about some of the millionaires,they need to put some effort into bm.instead of just those that u mention,heres another one rodeo,not everyone is into those.thanks for showing some concern about bm.
wondering

Reno, NV

#2513 May 2, 2010
havent heard anymore about that investigation,u and i like everyone will have to wait for thee out come on that,
a little bird told me

Apache Junction, AZ

#2514 May 3, 2010
From what I heard there was no "investigation", at least not a proper one. Could just be a rumor, but it would really be bad if this guy gets off due to lack of professionalism.
wondering

Reno, NV

#2515 May 3, 2010
well hopefully it was done right on the investigation,so no one gets away with stealing,that would be so wrong.and hopefully its just a rumor,and nothing more to it.and the law along with the judges will put them away for a very long time for their crimes.
John Morton

Conrad, MT

#2516 May 3, 2010
Two Cents wrote:
I'd like to just comment on Ron being a mechanic... Having former law experience doesn't automatically qualify you as a stand-up character, with the impenetrable ability to uphold the law. Case in point, Washington D.C.
It is surprising that so many people within that town are passionate about it. Perhaps your time would be better spent focusing on how you could come together, and make it a cleaner, more attractive place to live (and visit). The Sheriff's office is just a fraction of the problem. Business owners need to step up, and give back to the community that has sustained them for so long.
Ripley, Etcheverry, Seldin, Spring, Sullivan, Lemaire, Davis', Edgar, Elquist's, Iturriaga, Lake (to name a few, and most).
Updated store fronts, and giving back to your community in the form of donations for a "clean-up" committee (and putting someone in charge with passion and drive). Maybe there could be a committee that tries bringing fun events (plays, farmer's markets, festivals) to town, to generate revenue. How about someone take charge of addressing the old, dilapidated Lemaire Store? Or are you all too consumed with your gossip sessions? We’re all responsible for the state of our own communities.
STEP UP TO BETTER YOURS!
The Sheriff's department is the first line of order...we need to restore integrity and respect within the department then work outwardly towards the community.
Two Cents

Portland, OR

#2517 May 3, 2010
John Morton wrote:
<quoted text> The Sheriff's department is the first line of order...we need to restore integrity and respect within the department then work outwardly towards the community.
Well, hopefully when the "right" people are enforcing the law, there's something left to serve & protect.

Best wishes.
John L Morton

Conrad, MT

#2518 May 4, 2010
Two Cents wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, hopefully when the "right" people are enforcing the law, there's something left to serve & protect.
Best wishes.
People with tremendous experience and wisdom.
John L Morton

Conrad, MT

#2519 May 5, 2010
Two Cents wrote:
The roads ARE atrocious, and most definitely a few structures need to be removed, you're right. It would be so nice to see some effort made by the city to improve such issues.
It's like everyone is asleep at the wheel, or they just simply do not care. I don't know why that is. I think for the most part, the residents of Battle Mountain are good, hard working, honest people. I know many of them take pride in their homes & properties, so why not exhibit that same pride in your community?
I personally think it would be great if some of the local contractors would volunteer to bring some much needed improvements to the swimming pool & park. And if some of the millionaires of that town would open the bowling alley. That place is in desperate need of activities, outside of hunting and the casinos.
You know, people have tried (Ron Unger included), to improve things like the rodeo grounds, but then somehow, things always seem to fall short. There doesn't seem to be anyone with enough drive to keep the momentum going. I'd really like to see things change for the better in that town.
And for what it's worth... I like the idea that there is a Sheriff willing to take a phone call @ 3am, or wants you to come to his office for a face to face conversation.
PS- Not advocating for any candidate, just for change!
Battle Mountain needs leaders that lead by example. Do you know who the undersheriff is and have you ever seen him involved in any community events? For the short time I was there I found him to be very recluse and impersonal.
Battle Mountain has great potential as a communtiy. Given the leaders it deserves the community could change its reputation as the "Armpit of America." The families of this community pay a very large wage for thier sheriff and other elected officials and they have not ever been given thier monies worth. All they have gotten is the reputation of being declared an "Armpit" by the most political people in our nation ie. congress.. How does that happen?? Why cant our elected officials take charge and make a difference? We have given them these years of loyalty to prove themselves and what have the people of Lander County recieved in return?? It is time for a change. It is time to elect officials that are qualified,trained understand the office and people they are suppose to SERVE. We can make a difference starting this June elect the men and women who have actually been there and payed thier dues. Men and women whose experience and knowledge exceed the pay grade. Lander County will be doing its self a disservice to its children and future if they choose less.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Battle Mountain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lander county Sheriffs Office.Corruption at it... (Jul '09) Sep 14 DCA 21
NV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Nevada in... (Oct '10) Sep 13 gomersmith 789
Battle Mountain Music Thread (May '12) Jul '14 Musikologist 13
Nevada ranchers cite Gandhi in - Grass March' p... May '14 Linda 1
Nevada ranchers cite Gandhi in protest ride May '14 truthmongerdotinfo 1
NV Who do you support for Governor in Nevada in 2010? (Oct '10) Apr '14 MikeMike 134
The high gold prices are great for Battle Mount... (Aug '11) Mar '14 Tony 32
•••
•••
Battle Mountain Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Battle Mountain Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Battle Mountain People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Battle Mountain News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Battle Mountain
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••