Battle Lake man charged in dog abuse ...

Battle Lake man charged in dog abuse case

There are 20 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jul 7, 2010, titled Battle Lake man charged in dog abuse case. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Authorities have charged a 23-year-old Battle Lake man with animal cruelty for allegedly slitting the throat of his dog and leaving the animal for dead.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Leroy

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Jul 7, 2010
For once, I'd like to see a real sentence passed down for this horrific case of animal abuse. This guy needs a rude awakening. Too many times the perpetrator gets a slap on the wrist and a few hours of community service. Let's put some meat in our laws...our animals need some protection. Slitting your dogs throat is sick, sick, sick!
GreatDay

Wilson, NC

#2 Jul 7, 2010
Benjamin Stavaas, you are a piece of crapp!
There is a special place down below for you, and enjoy the stay...cause it will be for eternity!

Since: Sep 08

Lakeville, MN

#3 Jul 7, 2010
i thought his last name might be Vick
Dear Judge

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Jul 7, 2010
The felony counts better be upheld when the matter hits your courtroom. Animal cruelty and torture is serious (research available on the humane society web site) and often is either connected or leads to torture, abuse and murder of other people.

Animals feel pain. Thankfully this animal survived and will now be adopted into a loving, respectful family. She no longer has to suffer through life with this devil.

Judge, make this event mean something to this abuser. Consequences for actions since he can't feel empathy or compassion.
Robert John

Farmington, MN

#5 Jul 7, 2010
How does this differ from Halal meat preparation?
lala

Morne Rouge, Grenada

#6 Jul 7, 2010
what a scumbag. animal cruelty cases should be dealt with in such a way that is an eye for an eye. you slit your dogs throat, so now you should get your throat slit. he is a waste of oxygen!
dog lover

Circle Pines, MN

#7 Jul 7, 2010
this is so sick,you know they say if they able to do this to an animal their chances of moving on to violent crimes against human is most likely, i think he should get a stiff sentence so he does harm anyones mother,daughter,sister.......o r maybe your dog.....
dog lover 2

Newnan, GA

#8 Jul 7, 2010
put him in a cell with one of Vick's pitt-bulls
no one

Osakis, MN

#9 Jul 7, 2010
i used to work with this guy. what the hell. this dude is a piece of crap.

Since: Apr 10

Anytown, USA

#10 Jul 7, 2010
Robert John wrote:
First, the animal didn't die (still too much blood in it).

Second, it's a dog (unsuitable for eating except when no other food is available).
Think about it

United States

#11 Jul 7, 2010
Slit his throat and leave him for dead. Period. Paragraph. End of story.
Yishah

Lakeville, MN

#12 Jul 7, 2010
This guy should not be allowed to reproduce.
Blip

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Jul 8, 2010
I'll third that motion: slit his throat (preferably out in the middle of nowhere) and turn him loose.
Kill Benjamin

Columbia, SC

#14 Jul 8, 2010
Here's to Benjamin getting his throat slit in prison. With his record that's where he's going.
Fishin Guy

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Jul 8, 2010
I dislike that the scumbag did this to his dog. I'm wondering who pays for the surgery and vet care for this poor animal?
Gay Jay

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#16 Jul 13, 2010
oxboro wrote:
i thought his last name might be Vick
Vick? Rhymes with something I really like. Hey, what's the deal with that Police Chief out there in Battle Lake? I heard he is a jerk. Anybody know of him?
Jay

Big Lake, MN

#17 Jul 23, 2010
Ok yes what he did is wrong animal cruelty is fucked up. But back off with all your immature hatred I have known ben all my life and he is not some sick killer he was probably messed up on dope or something its not like him to do that.
Sarah D

Minneapolis, MN

#18 Jul 23, 2010
Robert John wrote:
Halal slaughter requires severing the respiratory tract, esophagus and jugular vein in one cut. This will render the animal unconscious within seconds.

And Halal slaughter forbids skinning the animal until the animal is dead.

Incidentally, kosher slaughter also requires severing the respiratory tract, esophagus and jugular vein in one cut.
Sarah D

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Jul 23, 2010
Fishin Guy wrote:
I dislike that the scumbag did this to his dog. I'm wondering who pays for the surgery and vet care for this poor animal?
What is usual in animal cruelty cases is that the ownership of the animal is taken away from the perpetrator and awarded to an animal shelter who will then undertake the payment for surgery and vet care through donations or other means. The animal will then be placed for adoption.

Justice for Star

Washington, DC

#20 Aug 3, 2010
Stavaas was convicted in 2006 of domestic violence and terrorist threats, he choked a young woman and while doing so, threatened to slit her throat. So, let's recap: 1)Choken woman, threated to slit her throat; 2) 3 years later, slits the throat of his dog because it didn't come to him when called. Next up? More animal abuse and more domestic violence for the loser, he's only 23, lots more years to abuse anything in his path.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Battle Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The potential cooling of global warming (Jun '08) Apr '15 HL Mencken 188
school 257 (Oct '14) Oct '14 rmosman 1
Natural Gas Process (May '14) May '14 Silver Laker 1
Review: Trefoldighed Lutheran Church (Mar '14) Mar '14 MFranze 1
News Kilby opens new store in NYM (Jan '12) Feb '14 Level Pmkk 2
News DFL endorses Dan Skogen for District 8 (Apr '12) Apr '12 Fact of the matte... 2
News Eagan man accused of tearing hole in fence, dri... (May '11) May '11 Diamond 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Battle Lake Mortgages