Customers snap up early sweet corn

During the next couple of months, local residents will have their pick of some of the freshest sweet corn around. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
TOBY

AOL

#24 Jul 5, 2007
I just had some genuine Indiana corn,I picked from my own garden,I put the water on to boil before I went to pick it.Now that is what you call fresh.With 4 varietys planted I will have FRESH CORN for weeks.
charles stone

Indianapolis, IN

#25 Jul 5, 2007
there's more than corn in Indiana.

Since: Mar 07

Columbus-

#26 Jul 5, 2007
Unless y'all grow the stuff yourself, you are likely to get fresh field corn in Indy. Or one heck of a poor grade of sweet corn.
local

Greenwood, IN

#27 Jul 5, 2007
Skeptical wrote:
Is it news? with the demand there is for it, you bet!Mine's not ready yet, people are already stopping by and placing pre-orders. I grow 6 varities, with the plantings spread out so they don't ripen all at once. The type of seed one plants makes an enormous difference in the end product. The old sweet corn like Illini Extra, Silver Queen, or Io Chief was ripe on the stalk and ready for only about one week, and would not keep off the stalk for longer than about 3 days without processing. The new "synergistic" seeds such as Honey Select, Obssesion, 272A, etc. have about a 2 to 3 week picking window, and if handled correctly (cooled down as quick as possible after picking, then kept below 50 degrees), it will last about 2-3 weeks after picking. And if they claim it is organic and grown in Indiana, then expect ear worms! They love organic corn better than anything. If the corn isn't to have ear worms, as my customers demand, then a little timely dusting of mild insecticide will keep them out. Better living through chemistry!
The tomatoes are starting to ripen, too! I had my first ones last week.
There are organic insecticide that are safe to use. I have had ear worms in plenty of chemically grown corn.
WTF

Rushville, IN

#28 Jul 6, 2007
LWw wrote:
Why is this News?
If you don't want to read it...don't!
It's news because Indiana has corn. Period. What other reason do you need?
mykidzmom

Mccordsville, IN

#29 Jul 6, 2007
AFTER BUYING GAS TO GET TO WORK AND BACK CORN HAS BECOME A LUXERY. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THERE IS GOOD INDIANA SWEET CORN FOR LESS THAN $3 A DOZEN??
mom2

Indianapolis, IN

#30 Jul 6, 2007
mykidzmom wrote:
AFTER BUYING GAS TO GET TO WORK AND BACK CORN HAS BECOME A LUXERY. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THERE IS GOOD INDIANA SWEET CORN FOR LESS THAN $3 A DOZEN??
Is spelling a luxury, too?
$3 is pretty cheap for 12 ears of corn, lady. Cheaper than the junk food your kids are eating at school.
But, there is no Indiana sweet corn available right now. Remember, we just had a drought.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Battle Ground Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Vincent M Guido - Dentist Dec 23 Chiropractor Centre 78
CPS, Judge Faith Graham, others Torturing Jamel... Dec 17 troy 5
Where is this town? Dec 9 sleuth 4
Shut down hotels/motels Nov '14 JCjc 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) Oct '14 freetek 32
Robotic surgery improves hysterectomy (Jan '09) Oct '14 Jaimie 18
guys in lafayette NOT to date Oct '14 Sue 1
Battle Ground Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web