Natchitoches School Board says no to ...

Natchitoches School Board says no to new charter

There are 69 comments on the KLFY-TV Lafayette story from Jan 3, 2013, titled Natchitoches School Board says no to new charter. In it, KLFY-TV Lafayette reports that:

But The town Talk reports that the application was deemed inadequate by Kimberly Williams of the Baton Rouge consulting firm New Millennium Education.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KLFY-TV Lafayette.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Educated

Boerne, TX

#62 Jan 11, 2013
sherman vogel wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct about student ratio's. We are advocating a 15:1 as well in addition an extended school day and year. My research shows that "at-risk" students need the extended time and more individual attention afforded by lower student/teacher ratio. I would also like to see departmentalized instruction with alot of project based instruction. Behavioral issues will be addressed by extensive use of social services geared to deal with "at-risk" student behavior. Instruction will be technology rich and strageties individuaized. Assessment will occur at the end of each instructional period so that instruction is data driven. We will employ the TAP instructional system which has proven highly successful in lower performing schools (according to Walter Lee, Superintendent of Desoto Parish and BESE member). Students will be chosen by a lottery system should applicants exceed seats available.
Now this sounds like a very well thought out solution. You will find that student behavior will improve simply because these students arn't around their friends who sometimes influence them to act as they do. The TAP instructional system is probably similar to the computer based instructional program we used. We used a similar system to establish a self-paced program. Meaning that the students mastered subjects at their own pace instead of enduring the pressure of having to complete lessons at the same time as others. We didn't use a lottery system, instead, we called these schools simply, schools of choice. This way we could include all students who wanted to come, not just a few. Venture school in Arlington, Texas,(a public school) is an example of a school I am talking about. In this school there was also a TAPPS Program for pregnant girls. This program paid for day care service for the girls so they couldn't use the excuse, "I can't come to school because there is no one to take care of my baby." We had a bus come to pick up the girl and her child, take the child to daycare, take the girl to school and pick up both after school and take them home. This program really worked out well. We wrote a grant and used Federal money to fund the TAPPS Program

The main problem we had with Charter Schools was that because they weren't under the same auspices as public schools, there was a lot of misused funds, fraudulent attendance reporting, and fraudulent testing procedures that were used. Because the charter schools got their funds from the state, they would turn in fraudulant attendance reports to get more money. Since they boasted about improving student scores, we found that there was a great deal of fraudulent testing procedures used. Most Charter schools didn't last because after we found out about all the fraudulent things going on, their charters were pulled. Most of the Charter Schools that lasted served a distinct population of students, for example, gifted and talented. This is why we came up with schools of choice, so we could help the at-risk students.
Educated

Boerne, TX

#63 Jan 11, 2013
sherman vogel wrote:
May be stupid but I do know rocket science but I don't know what common SENCE is? Just kidding! I appreciate your input and value your opinion.
Sorry, but I set you up on this one. I wanted to see if you would read the remainder of my post after I called you stupid. Sorry about that, but it was like you were lashing out at me. I of course don't support low performing schools which was a stupid statement. By misspelling the last word in my post, sence, instead of sense, I saw that you read my entire post. I appreciate that. I still feel that there are more common sense solutions than Charter Schools to solve the problems all of us have in Pubic School or Private School education.
Educated

Boerne, TX

#64 Jan 11, 2013
Sorry, I did it agian, that's public schools instead of pubic schools. HA!!!!!!!!!!
polabo

Marthaville, LA

#65 Jan 11, 2013
40 yrs of school system going down hill and billions of dollars spent but now the elite have the answer but this want cost but more billions for the same result--Laughed at the TAP program,u guys are getting closer to the answer,40 yrs ago we had the tap ur asssss program and it worked without the billions--
polabo

Marthaville, LA

#66 Jan 11, 2013
http://marktraina.webs.com/civil-rights Finally the writen truth--
sherman vogel

United States

#67 Jan 13, 2013
NSU wrote:
<quoted text> Sherman almost went to jail along with Alvin. Mondey is the root to all evil.
I waiting for your answer to my question! Are you willing to give up your time to try to reach "at-risk" students in the parish? By the way if you afe going to quote scripture then at least get it right! It is the LOVE of money that is the root of all evil! Once some of you folks at NSU decide to stop trying to use your postions to steal grants from others to line your own pockets and do something just for the sake of the university then maybe NSU will prosper again. Jimmy Long once told me before we took legal action not to do anything to hurt the university. Really! Thanks to him and Dr. Webb the university lost millions of dollars that would have benefited the university and the community of Natchitoches. By the way, what happened to the $900,000.00 grant we wrote and was approved by the governor Jimmy? Why did it die on the President's desk?
sherman vogel

United States

#68 Jan 13, 2013
are
sherman vogel

United States

#69 Jan 13, 2013
Educated wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but I set you up on this one. I wanted to see if you would read the remainder of my post after I called you stupid. Sorry about that, but it was like you were lashing out at me. I of course don't support low performing schools which was a stupid statement. By misspelling the last word in my post, sence, instead of sense, I saw that you read my entire post. I appreciate that. I still feel that there are more common sense solutions than Charter Schools to solve the problems all of us have in Pubic School or Private School education.
I welcome your input and invite you to help us in making this application a reality.
Educated

Boerne, TX

#70 Jan 14, 2013
sherman vogel wrote:
<quoted text>
I welcome your input and invite you to help us in making this application a reality.
If the application is for a charter school, count me out. I feel I have given you significant reasons why I don't back them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baton Rouge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ohio's Kasich urges working together at NAACP c... 2 hr spud 131
News Faith Matters: Jehovah's Witnesses meet in Bato... 7 hr BetheljudgmentDan... 4
Am Sad and Down in the Dumps! Need some help pl... 11 hr Jesse 2
Hello Dear Familes of Baton Rouge! 12 hr Harry 5
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 18 hr OMTE 20,386
Maybe if u stop violating our rights Sat Eternal truth 95
Whites getting ready for race war. Sat johnny rebel 41

Baton Rouge Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Baton Rouge Mortgages