Natchitoches School Board says no to ...

Natchitoches School Board says no to new charter

There are 69 comments on the KLFY-TV Lafayette story from Jan 3, 2013, titled Natchitoches School Board says no to new charter. In it, KLFY-TV Lafayette reports that:

But The town Talk reports that the application was deemed inadequate by Kimberly Williams of the Baton Rouge consulting firm New Millennium Education.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KLFY-TV Lafayette.

Educated

Boerne, TX

#42 Jan 8, 2013
I say wrote:
Sabine Parish schools are so far ahead of natchitoches Parish schools it's unreal. I know, from having a child in school in natchitoches , and has now been in school in many for three years
We had a lot of catching up to do and I mean a lot., especially in the area of math. Through the eighth grade in Sabine they study pat jones , deep math, very difficult even for the parents All word problems , with as many as five to eight different operations in one word problem. They have to think Ill admitt it , I as a college graduate , hAve great difficulty with their deep math. It is so refreshing to use the mind that way. I'm talking on the fifth and sixth grade level
Disciplinary problems are dealt with swiftly and affectively. Zero tolerance for troublemakers.
I can't believe the difference in the schools in natchitoches and many
Yes ,yes to charter school in natchitoches. If I lived there still , I would be camped
Out trying to get my child in there.
Vernon Parish schools are much better than Nat. Parish Schools also.
Educated

Boerne, TX

#43 Jan 8, 2013
I am a retired (2010) Texas High School Principal. Texas has been experimenting with Charter Schools since 1998. The theory behind the charter school is very sound, however, we have seen varied amounts of success with them. The ones that have failed have been because they couldn't raise student scores as they boasted they would. Others, simply folded because of mis-use of money siphened from the public school system. In Texas, when a student enrolled in a charter school, the public school system had to give the money they would have spent on the student to the charter school. At times, this put a burden on our public school system. Since 1998, there have been more charter schools that have been opened and failed in Texas, than ones that have had success. Don Jones was the main supporter of Charter Schools in Texas. He is now in prison.
what

United States

#44 Jan 8, 2013
Educated wrote:
I am a retired (2010) Texas High School Principal. Texas has been experimenting with Charter Schools since 1998. The theory behind the charter school is very sound, however, we have seen varied amounts of success with them. The ones that have failed have been because they couldn't raise student scores as they boasted they would. Others, simply folded because of mis-use of money siphened from the public school system. In Texas, when a student enrolled in a charter school, the public school system had to give the money they would have spent on the student to the charter school. At times, this put a burden on our public school system. Since 1998, there have been more charter schools that have been opened and failed in Texas, than ones that have had success. Don Jones was the main supporter of Charter Schools in Texas. He is now in prison.
So, according to you, let's continue support low performing schools? It might interest you to know that 8 of the top 10 high schools in the US are charters. Almost all of the schools in New Orleans are charters and are making remarkable success. The public education system there was disfunctional and riddled with mis-management of public funds. If you audited some of the systems here you might find huge fiscal problems as well. Charters have had difficulty because they exist under a microscope. So, lets abandoned the idea of charter schools because Don Jones went to prison in Texas? Half of the public officals in Louisiana have been to prison and the other half should be in prison.
Doncha know

Lufkin, TX

#45 Jan 8, 2013
No wonder the school board doesn't want the charter schools They don't want to give up those $$$$$ they would rather throw that money to these low performing schools that do nothing for its students.
I understand that there is a lot of disciplinary problems in these schools., but there are also some students that would thrive and really learn with with some fresh new innovative teaching
What is being done with the education system in natchitoches is disgraceful
And unfair to this parish and especially unfair to the students who really want an education.
Student

Natchitoches, LA

#46 Jan 8, 2013
Im not sure what all this means
NSU

United States

#47 Jan 8, 2013
what wrote:
<quoted text>
So, according to you, let's continue support low performing schools? It might interest you to know that 8 of the top 10 high schools in the US are charters. Almost all of the schools in New Orleans are charters and are making remarkable success. The public education system there was disfunctional and riddled with mis-management of public funds. If you audited some of the systems here you might find huge fiscal problems as well. Charters have had difficulty because they exist under a microscope. So, lets abandoned the idea of charter schools because Don Jones went to prison in Texas? Half of the public officals in Louisiana have been to prison and the other half should be in prison.
Sherman almost went to jail along with Alvin. Mondey is the root to all evil.
Really Now

Bossier City, LA

#48 Jan 8, 2013
the nation statistics say 17% of charter schools are more successful than public school, 37% are less successful and the remaining are equal which would be 46%

this proposed charter school targets a specific child, not just any child, know what you're rooting for!

don't get me wrong, I personally think Natchitoches parish public schools are a mess, they're chasing all their good teachers away and less desirable are still there, the entire central office needs to be cleaned out and started new, until that happens there's not much hope for the schools
really?

Natchitoches, LA

#49 Jan 9, 2013
Winggit wrote:
When I think about the Natchticoches School Board I don't think much of them since look at the Natchitoches Schools. Why do we have so many failing schools? Why are the worst scores coming from the predominantly black schools? Why is it like this year in and year out? Why are people more concerned about everything else except holding the Natchitoches School Board responsible so things will change? Why aren't we asking why the only high test scores are coming from NSU lab or magnet schools? What can we do to have success like that around LP Vaughn or Parks?
Once again, It is time for something else because the system in place is not working and if it takes a charter school then so be it because it can't get any worse. I have to imagine they have been through enough teachers and principles to realize maybe its not exactly all their fault why it constantly fails and maybe its just the process of the school itself.
You should know why the poor performing schools are predominately black. It's all about discipline. Like I said before, you can teach anybody anything, but if they were never taught respect and discipline they won't behave long enough to learn. And another thing, I hate to keep pointing out the black people again, but , especially in these low performing black schools a lot of parents keep requesting their child to be in special Ed so they can get another check. They continuously keep asking the teachers to say that their child had behavior problems, when they don't. All they need is to be taught respect and discipline, and get a good ole fashion ass whoopin at home when they cut up. I've said it before in other posts, a lot of black parents are too young to care about their children, they just want another check. It's a damn shame, but that "4 more years antichrist" they re elected isn't helping much on that matter. That is probably why there are triple the number of black inmates than any other race, and if they keep going like they are going, it will never change.
polabo

Marthaville, LA

#50 Jan 9, 2013
[QUOTE who="really?"]<qu oted text>
You should know why the poor performing schools are predominately black. It's all about discipline. Like I said before, you can teach anybody anything, but if they were never taught respect and discipline they won't behave long enough to learn. And another thing, I hate to keep pointing out the black people again, but , especially in these low performing black schools a lot of parents keep requesting their child to be in special Ed so they can get another check. They continuously keep asking the teachers to say that their child had behavior problems, when they don't. All they need is to be taught respect and discipline, and get a good ole fashion ass whoopin at home when they cut up. I've said it before in other posts, a lot of black parents are too young to care about their children, they just want another check. It's a damn shame, but that "4 more years antichrist" they re elected isn't helping much on that matter. That is probably why there are triple the number of black inmates than any other race, and if they keep going like they are going, it will never change.[/QUOTE]govt. and democraps do not want it to change,its a vote buying sham using our tax money--sad but true-
sherman vogel

United States

#51 Jan 9, 2013
NSU wrote:
<quoted text> Sherman almost went to jail along with Alvin. Mondey is the root to all evil.
Check your facts! We were fired based on "allegations listed in the state audit"! The legal record of the hearing on campus shows that the auditor admitted to never having done in investigation; doing the audit as a favor from Dan Kyle to Dr. Webb; the checks he claimed he had on Dr. Brossette never existed; he had the wrong training list for the wrong grant; he did not know who certified him as a investigator; he had never audited an educational institution before; that he could not prove anything in the audit; that no money or equipment was missing; and that everything Brossette, Moffitt or Vogel did was approved by the Department Head, the Dean, the Provost and the President. Inspite of the total discrediting of the auditor the hearing committee desided to uphold the president's decision to fire all the employees "based on allegations". It is interesting that key members of the committee got promotions following the hearing. When Dr. Webb and Jimmy Long were summoned to the hearing they both refused! This was in direct contradiction to the letter Dr. Webb put out that anyone within the university's employee has to appear if summoned. When both when summoned to give a deposition under oath by our attorney, refused! You are correct when you say that money is the root of all evil. Explain to me then why the plant managers wife at Alliance working on grants in the IT department? What was the association between certain political figures and Alliance?

Oh, by the way. In the application for the Charter School grant you will find that my services at listed as "in-kind". That means I will not accept one penny for my efforts or work! When you are willing to donate 4 years of our time for nothing then I will have respect for your opinion. No, I take that back. You are indictative of the kind of employees that work at NSU, who espouse opinions without any proof whatsoever! You are not fit to work at an institution of higher learning!
sherman vogel

United States

#52 Jan 9, 2013
any; an; employ;was;are

Sorry for the mistakes. This person pissed me off!
Donvha know

Lufkin, TX

#53 Jan 9, 2013
Go ahead, mr Vogel, tell that lying NSU bitch how the cow ate the cabbage
Everybody that's been here for awhile know all about these lying bitch hipocrits
Ton

Natchitoches, LA

#54 Jan 9, 2013
Donvha know wrote:
Go ahead, mr Vogel, tell that lying NSU bitch how the cow ate the cabbage
Everybody that's been here for awhile know all about these lying bitch hipocrits
After reading this I can't help but think this is an example of Natchitoches Parish School system.
Educated

Boerne, TX

#55 Jan 10, 2013
what wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I am not suggesting we support low performing schools. Are you stupid? Where did you see that in my post? I am saying that after our experiences with charter schools in Texas, we found that there are more successful solutions. For example, because there are a high percentage of students from poverty level families in Texas, just as there are in Louisiana, and that the majority of these students had great difficulty learning in the classroom, we formed seperate schools for them. These schools had a maximum of 15:1 student to teacher ratio. That is fifteen students for each teacher to teach. When we did this we found that these same students became more successful in the classroom almost immediately. This isn't rocket science just a little common sence.

Educated

Boerne, TX

#56 Jan 10, 2013
Really Now wrote:
the nation statistics say 17% of charter schools are more successful than public school, 37% are less successful and the remaining are equal which would be 46%
this proposed charter school targets a specific child, not just any child, know what you're rooting for!
don't get me wrong, I personally think Natchitoches parish public schools are a mess, they're chasing all their good teachers away and less desirable are still there, the entire central office needs to be cleaned out and started new, until that happens there's not much hope for the schools
You are 100% correct.
sherman vogel

United States

#57 Jan 10, 2013
Educated wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I am not suggesting we support low performing schools. Are you stupid? Where did you see that in my post? I am saying that after our experiences with charter schools in Texas, we found that there are more successful solutions. For example, because there are a high percentage of students from poverty level families in Texas, just as there are in Louisiana, and that the majority of these students had great difficulty learning in the classroom, we formed seperate schools for them. These schools had a maximum of 15:1 student to teacher ratio. That is fifteen students for each teacher to teach. When we did this we found that these same students became more successful in the classroom almost immediately. This isn't rocket science just a little common sence.
You are correct about student ratio's. We are advocating a 15:1 as well in addition an extended school day and year. My research shows that "at-risk" students need the extended time and more individual attention afforded by lower student/teacher ratio. I would also like to see departmentalized instruction with alot of project based instruction. Behavioral issues will be addressed by extensive use of social services geared to deal with "at-risk" student behavior. Instruction will be technology rich and strageties individuaized. Assessment will occur at the end of each instructional period so that instruction is data driven. We will employ the TAP instructional system which has proven highly successful in lower performing schools (according to Walter Lee, Superintendent of Desoto Parish and BESE member). Students will be chosen by a lottery system should applicants exceed seats available.
sherman vogel

United States

#58 Jan 10, 2013
May be stupid but I do know rocket science but I don't know what common SENCE is? Just kidding! I appreciate your input and value your opinion.
polabo

Marthaville, LA

#59 Jan 10, 2013
sherman vogel wrote:
May be stupid but I do know rocket science but I don't know what common SENCE is? Just kidding! I appreciate your input and value your opinion.
Home schooling is the answer,with all the money spent by govt. we could home school every kid at home--but that those not fall in place with social engineering--
sherman vogel

United States

#60 Jan 10, 2013
NSU wrote:
<quoted text> Sherman almost went to jail along with Alvin. Mondey is the root to all evil.
Money, being the root of all evil is why at 3.2 million dollar grant, is why NSU lost the biggest grant in its' history. For your information I help write over 700,000.00 of BORSF grants (four of which I wrote by myself) for the IET department at NSU. The first time a BORSF grant had ever been written in that department. The equipment currently being used by the students in the department. I worked for the university from 7 A.M. until about 9 PM five days a week. I live in a small 800 square foot log cabin I built with my own hands. I should have benefited from the evil all mighty dollar haven't I? I could write myself in the the charter school application for a considerable amount of money, yet I choose to donate my time to a worth while effort of trying to help "at-risk" students.

sherman vogel

United States

#61 Jan 11, 2013
sure have benefited

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baton Rouge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
husband prefers hookers 6 hr Just me 3
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 10 hr winston molineri 20,303
Dead Beat Dads - Grow Up May 21 Country Strong 1
Missing La Muslim found in DC May 21 USA Suicide Watch 6
Jimmy Swaggart Ministries Beg-A-Thon : A 2 Part... (Jun '13) May 19 Tina 215
Greenwell Springs mental hospital (Jul '11) May 19 Linda Dousay 25
wbr cops May 13 cntrygrrl 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Baton Rouge Mortgages