Natchitoches School Board says no to new charter

Jan 3, 2013 Full story: KLFY-TV Lafayette 69

But The town Talk reports that the application was deemed inadequate by Kimberly Williams of the Baton Rouge consulting firm New Millennium Education.

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Sherman Vogel

United States

#1 Jan 3, 2013
The Options Charter School will now address the weaknesses in the application and apply for a Type II Charter to the BESE Board. A Type II Charter does not require the local school board approval. The purpose of submitting the application as a Type I charter was to take advantage of the a review of the application before applying as a Type II charter. Also, since it was to late to apply as a Type II charter Options submitted the application to the School Board as a Type I charter school.
wondering

Waskom, TX

#2 Jan 4, 2013
Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is a charter school?
Sherman Vogel

United States

#3 Jan 4, 2013
Charter schools are public schools created for the purpose of creating innovative strageties to improve public education. It is also an attempt to take the politics and nepotism out of education. For the first time in education the public has been given the opportunity to have meaningful input in the educational process. You can research the process and purpose of Charter Schools on the Louisiana Department of Education website.
polabo

Natchitoches, LA

#4 Jan 4, 2013
Sherman Vogel wrote:
Charter schools are public schools created for the purpose of creating innovative strageties to improve public education. It is also an attempt to take the politics and nepotism out of education. For the first time in education the public has been given the opportunity to have meaningful input in the educational process. You can research the process and purpose of Charter Schools on the Louisiana Department of Education website.
the most important thing about them is u got to tow the line with discipline--means alot of lowlifes will not qualify disrupting classes and drugs--
Sherman Vogel

United States

#5 Jan 5, 2013
By submitting as a Type I school I got the benefit of getting an evaluation of the application. Some of the weaknesses of the application have already been addressed. I did not get a notification of the board action on the application until the day "after" the meeting. This should give you some idea about how serious the superintendent about addressing the "at-risk" drop out rates in Natchitoches Parish.
Sherman Vogel

United States

#6 Jan 5, 2013
"is"
ShaMeka

United States

#7 Jan 5, 2013
this just sound like another rasist way to seperate rich n poor n Black from White.
parent

Natchitoches, LA

#8 Jan 5, 2013
ShaMeka wrote:
this just sound like another rasist way to seperate rich n poor n Black from White.
Sounds to me more like separating the ones that want a structured place to learn from the ones that could care less about education and the parents that won't let anyone correct kids when they need it.
really?

New York, NY

#9 Jan 5, 2013
ShaMeka wrote:
I agree with you parent. If "shameka" wants to make it about race, let her. Our kids need the best education we can provide them. If that means getting them out of these ghetto schools where the kids have discipline problems because of their parents, then so be it.
polabo

Natchitoches, LA

#10 Jan 5, 2013
ShaMeka wrote:
we have had schools with problems for forty yrs. because of intergration with no disciple-- back to the basic of 3 r's with discipline and see how the grades go up--

West Monroe, LA

#11 Jan 5, 2013
polabo,you have hit te nail on the head. in the early 60's,when forced intergration took effect,the discipline went out the window,for black kids. us whites still got paddled,but the teaches,etc. would not touch one black kid,in fear of the govt. now,they won't make any of them mind.
polabo

Natchitoches, LA

#12 Jan 5, 2013
Guest wrote:
polabo,you have hit te nail on the head. in the early 60's,when forced intergration took effect,the discipline went out the window,for black kids. us whites still got paddled,but the teaches,etc. would not touch one black kid,in fear of the govt. now,they won't make any of them mind.
u can't speak the truth because u will be a called a racist but we have proof 40 yrs. later--thanks to liberal govt.--
OLD CHARTER

Natchitoches, LA

#13 Jan 5, 2013
How bout old charter 8 year old, or ancient age!!!!
sherman vogel

United States

#14 Jan 5, 2013
Very soon there will be forums held through out the parish to inform the public about the purpose and need for a public charter school in Natchitoches Parish. The dates and locations will be available in local news media.
Dee

Natchitoches, LA

#15 Jan 5, 2013
Just can't see the purpose.
parent

Natchitoches, LA

#16 Jan 5, 2013
Dee wrote:
Just can't see the purpose.
For God's sake do you live in a bubble? If not either you don't have kids in the school system or you're one of the parents that just don't care what's going on at school as long as they are out of your hair for 8 hours.
Dee

Natchitoches, LA

#17 Jan 5, 2013
parent wrote:
<quoted text>For God's sake do you live in a bubble? If not either you don't have kids in the school system or you're one of the parents that just don't care what's going on at school as long as they are out of your hair for 8 hours.
I'm sorry I wasn't more detail in my response but yes I do have a child in the school system. Calm down and let's use a little constructive reasoning. Once again, I did not to intend to insult you.
parent

Natchitoches, LA

#18 Jan 5, 2013
Dee wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sorry I wasn't more detail in my response but yes I do have a child in the school system. Calm down and let's use a little constructive reasoning. Once again, I did not to intend to insult you.
I didn't take it as an insult I just cannot understand anyone with a child in the system we have not seeing a problem. I work for the npsb and there is so much that is wrong and very little that is right. Our schools are getting worse and worse with every single year that goes by. I talk to others board employees from other parishes and they are astounded at the way our parish is run. Maybe it's harder to see from the outside but please for the sake of your child if we get a charter school get them in it as fast as you can.
fromdeinside

AOL

#19 Jan 5, 2013
It's racist alright! The major problem is you have black replacing white as far as the teaching job itself. Don't want any white to return to those jobs regardless of their own lack of self taught education and self taught dicipline. So what do the children get taught? "Discrimination" and hatred from teachers like these. All these teachers care about is a paycheck, off for the summer, & keep it black.
fromdeinside

AOL

#20 Jan 5, 2013
...and quoting Bible phrases and gospel songs, blindly!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baton Rouge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 16 hr Jim Jones 19,549
preacher donnie swaggart (Apr '14) Dec 15 repent pof 21
Don swaggart Preaching On Plenty Of Fish Dec 15 repent pof 1
Baton Rouge, in fact all of Louisiana, is the a... Dec 14 Spqr 4
Greenwell Springs mental hospital (Jul '11) Dec 11 concerned mama 18
Jimmy Swaggart Ministries Beg-A-Thon : A 2 Part... (Jun '13) Dec 9 Heather 128
Debate: Marijuana - Baton Rouge, LA (Aug '10) Dec 8 Shirley Willis 64
Baton Rouge Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Baton Rouge People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Baton Rouge News, Events & Info