Slatington quarry: police at quarry near Slatington to search f...

There are 95 comments on the The Morning Call story from May 25, 2009, titled Slatington quarry: police at quarry near Slatington to search f.... In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Police and fire rescue crews are at a quarry just outside Slatington where a young man jumped into the water just before 4 p.m. and has not been seen since.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Skippy

Emmaus, PA

#6 May 25, 2009
Idiot or not, haven't there been enough of these stories printed over the years for him to know that jumping in those quarries is deadly? There is at least 1-2 stories about the quarries every year, especially the ones up in Slatington.

There are way too many trees and God knows what else down there to get caught on, not to mention cracking your head on the rocks you can't see.
flamincherry69

Reading, PA

#7 May 25, 2009
was matt hurt?
nah

Slatington, PA

#8 May 25, 2009
flamincherry69 wrote:
was matt hurt?
no, hes fine
A-town Teacher

Bath, PA

#9 May 25, 2009
I cannot believe you think you are that perfect and never made a mistake in your life. As a parent and a center city teacher, we use 200% of our energy every single day to try and help children, some that are not fortunate enough to have parents and call us mom. We are lucky if we can save a few in each class each year but we love the reward of seeing it happen. You are a useless piece of crap and "let me guess", you don't even have children? How do you sleep @ night? God only opens the gates for those with compassion and honesty.
boys will be boys

Whitehall, PA

#10 May 25, 2009
granted the boy knew the waters were dangerous, but that's part of the appeal to jumping..if everyone sat around posting comments on mcall.com articles we'd have an even higher obesity rate in the US.

RIP young man.
names

Slatington, PA

#11 May 25, 2009
so i know there were MANY bystanders- does anyone actually know who the kid was?
yaGottaBeKiddin

Kempton, PA

#12 May 25, 2009
Happy Memorial Day wrote:
no great loss, swim in dangerous waters, this will happen, one less idiot in society
I bet you make your parents proud, wonder if someone will say the same of you one day. You are a blight on society, if you think there is noe one lower than the child your just described, just take a look in a mirror, you are many times lower then the child that died! You are sick, society would be better off with out your attitude.
Happy Memorial Day

Philadelphia, PA

#13 May 25, 2009
I really have to laugh at all the comments defending a person basically killing themselves during illegal activity....dont worry mommy and daddy will sue the owners of the quarry because the fence there wasnt high enough to keep their idiot child away from an obvious hazard
Sally Martz

Slatington, PA

#14 May 25, 2009
no great loss, swim in dangerous waters, this will happen, one less idiot in society
One of my family's good famiy friend's son died in the pennsy in 1997. As only knowing his parents, I could tell that he was a good man who made a mistake. Talking about a human life as "one less idiot in society" is horrible. This person's family as well is probably reminded today from their loss many years ago. To talk about a human life in the way you do absolutely disgusts me.
The Taxpayer

Girardville, PA

#15 May 25, 2009
A-town Teacher wrote:
I cannot believe you think you are that perfect and never made a mistake in your life. As a parent and a center city teacher, we use 200% of our energy every single day to try and help children, some that are not fortunate enough to have parents and call us mom. We are lucky if we can save a few in each class each year but we love the reward of seeing it happen. You are a useless piece of crap and "let me guess", you don't even have children? How do you sleep @ night? God only opens the gates for those with compassion and honesty.
I hope you don't teach math or physics, since you can't expend 200% of your energy. No wonder today's kids expect to get everything for nothing, when their teacher think they give, twice what they have. Most teachers are lucky if they give 50% and I think the norm in ASD is a lot closer to 25%
interested

King Of Prussia, PA

#16 May 25, 2009
who was the person who died i want to know if i know who it is ????
whatever

Emmaus, PA

#17 May 25, 2009
I really have to laugh at all the comments defending a person basically killing themselves during illegal activity....dont worry mommy and daddy will sue the owners of the quarry because the fence there wasnt high enough to keep their idiot child away from an obvious hazard
Like you never once engaged in any risky behavior. Your nothing more than a miserable jerk looking for company. We can determine from your posts that you are a big fat nobody, who has nobody, and wants to make everyone miserable because you yourself are miserable. Go do everyone a favor and engage in some risky behavior, maybe we will all get lucky and not have to read your worthless posts anymore.
MakesMeSick

Slatington, PA

#20 May 25, 2009
This is sad. Yeah the kid did something wrong. Didn't you guys on the forum ever do anything that was wrong as a kid but didn't get caught at the time? The kid was wrong, but I don't think he deserves to die. bad judgement cost him is life. You know it doesn't matter how many times a parent tells a kid not to do something, especially teens, I think it is a bit harsh to blame the parents too. I am sorry for the loss of the boy and for the grief his family is going thru.
Hank

Emmaus, PA

#21 May 25, 2009
Unfortunately the one who jumped into the water was pressured into jumping by 20-40 other people who were chanting for him to "Jump!" It's hard to resist 20-40 people, even if you don't know how to swim. Hopefully those people who told him to jump will feel extremely guilty for what they did and will be prosecuted. This is a tragedy which could have been avoided. God bless his family...
Donna

Bethlehem, PA

#22 May 25, 2009
I believe at one time or another, EVERYONE has done something in their lifetime that is considered dangerous, and not always using the right judgement, but for pete's sake, a life has been lost, can't anyone think of how this person's family & friends must feel right now.........I don't care how well we raise our children, there has to be a time or two when they took chances, just as we did growing up..........

My Deepest Sympathy to the Family and Friends of this person !!
Nestor A

Bethlehem, PA

#23 May 25, 2009
You people have no lives sympathy or respect if your saying a dead is better off that way. I was there when that kid jumped just because he wanted to have fun didnt mean he deserved to die. Everyone does it, so keep your comments to yourself if they arent positive.
A-town Teacher

Bethlehem, PA

#24 May 25, 2009
IMAGINE THAT; both you idiots are from Philadelphia. You know the city of "Brotherly Love!!!" That's all most of your city knows how to do, unless your too busy applying for welfare or buyin steak and lobster with your food stamps. Get a real life and work for a living; or better yet go back to where you came from, that is unless"U DON'T HAVE A GREEN CARD???"

“Here's looking at ya!”

Since: Jul 07

Allentown, PA

#25 May 25, 2009
Quarry water is very cold water, I wonder if he gotten cramps...

“Here's looking at ya!”

Since: Jul 07

Allentown, PA

#27 May 25, 2009
Nestor A wrote:
Dwayne Summers
Sorry about your friend, I did the samething when I was a teenager, also quarry's are great for fishing... Kids will be kids...Please be careful!!!!

“Snoopie1”

Since: Mar 07

Allentown, Pa.

#28 May 25, 2009
A-town Teacher wrote:
Thank you 4 being there for the kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bath Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min John Galt 1,231,718
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 18 min State the Obvious 309,845
News PPL Ceo tells shareholders utility is poised fo... 7 hr logical 1
History's Headlines: 1832 Romance roils Allento... 17 hr silly rabbit 1
Top 10 WORST companies to work for in the Lehig... (May '08) Tue Trevor 47
Allentown firefighters' union: City staffing le... May 19 silly rabbit 1
Ed Pawlowski co-chairs conference on pipeline s... May 19 silly rabbit 2
More from around the web

Bath People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]