Batesville School Millage

Batesville School Millage

Posted in the Batesville Forum

toomuch

Batesville, AR

#1 Feb 1, 2013
What are your thoughts on the Batesville School Board voting to add 1.25 mills to our existing Millage of 38.75 for "school security"?
guest

United States

#2 Feb 1, 2013
toomuch wrote:
What are your thoughts on the Batesville School Board voting to add 1.25 mills to our existing Millage of 38.75 for "school security"?
I think that school security should be paid for with a tax on ammunition.
Guest

Batesville, AR

#3 Feb 1, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>I think that school security should be paid for with a tax on ammunition.
Increase school protection by lowering public protection?
guest

Batesville, AR

#4 Feb 1, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>Increase school protection by lowering public protection?
Talk about pretzel logic...
conservative with sense

Batesville, AR

#5 Feb 1, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>Increase school protection by lowering public protection?
Make the people who insist on easy access to ammunition pay for the protection that is necessary because of that same easy access to ammo.
Guest

Batesville, AR

#6 Feb 1, 2013
conservative with sense wrote:
<quoted text>Make the people who insist on easy access to ammunition pay for the protection that is necessary because of that same easy access to ammo.
So punish the citizens due to the criminals?
conservative with sense

Batesville, AR

#7 Feb 1, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>So punish the citizens due to the criminals?
It's not punishment, it's making the people who use a good or a service pay for the costs to society of that good or service. Just like toll roads make only the people who use them pay for them.

It's also fiscal responsibility - no new expenditures without a way to fund them.
Guest

Batesville, AR

#8 Feb 1, 2013
conservative with sense wrote:
<quoted text>It's not punishment, it's making the people who use a good or a service pay for the costs to society of that good or service. Just like toll roads make only the people who use them pay for them.

It's also fiscal responsibility - no new expenditures without a way to fund them.
Right. Which are why things are taxed. However, an extra tax, especially a contradicting tax such as the one mentioned, with the basis that you stated would be a form of punishment against lawful citizens due to the actions of criminals.
conservative with sense

Batesville, AR

#9 Feb 2, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>Right. Which are why things are taxed. However, an extra tax, especially a contradicting tax such as the one mentioned, with the basis that you stated would be a form of punishment against lawful citizens due to the actions of criminals.
And using your logic a toll road is a punishment to the law abiding drivers who use it. Why should society as a whole have to bear the costs that arise because of the availability of an item? Why shouldn't the people who choose use that item also bear the costs associated with it?
Longview

Batesville, AR

#10 Mar 4, 2013
Our local millage is already one of THE HIGHEST in Arkansas. It will be 50 Mills if we vote April 9th to increase it..........AGAIN! How will we ever attract new industry/business with the highest taxes in the state?.........We won't!
Guest

United States

#11 Mar 4, 2013
conservative with sense wrote:
<quoted text>And using your logic a toll road is a punishment to the law abiding drivers who use it. Why should society as a whole have to bear the costs that arise because of the availability of an item? Why shouldn't the people who choose use that item also bear the costs associated with it?
No, because the toll is actually related to the service being charged. Often that money goes to pay for the very roads that individual drives on. It is a logical system.

As far as your later questions, it doesn't really make since. You are obviously referring to the cost that result from the misuse of weapons (i.e. criminal use rather than self defense). As for why the public must pay the cost, that is simply how crimes work. The criminal is prosecuted but ultimately the public pays a price (otherwise, it probably wouldn't be a crime).

Let me ask you something, when was the last time you paid an extra tax on a bat, crowbar, vase, candle stick holder, screwdrivers, fire extinguisher, or kitchen knifes statistics have shown that "melee" items are used far more often in violent crimes than ballistic weapons. Now you will probably point out that these items were made for a different use and that weapons are different. However weapons are not that different. Originally they were made for hunting. They are not used for this as much, nor is it as necessary, but they are still used for this. There secondary purpose for creation is self defense. This is legal and the cost associated with it far out way the cost of those that misuse them for criminal purposes.
Longview

Batesville, AR

#12 Mar 5, 2013
If you own a gun/guns and ammunition, you already pay property tax on them (unless you don't declare them, in which case you are breaking the law). You have also most likely paid sales tax on them, unless you bought them from an individual or other source that did not charge tax. The difference in the two is that millage/property tax goes on forever, as long as you own the property, and the sales tax is a one time tax. You do all tell the government how many guns you own... right?
tea party supporter

Batesville, AR

#13 Mar 5, 2013
Longview wrote:
If you own a gun/guns and ammunition, you already pay property tax on them (unless you don't declare them, in which case you are breaking the law). You have also most likely paid sales tax on them, unless you bought them from an individual or other source that did not charge tax. The difference in the two is that millage/property tax goes on forever, as long as you own the property, and the sales tax is a one time tax. You do all tell the government how many guns you own... right?
I think you should check again. No property tax on guns and ammo
Longview

Batesville, AR

#14 Mar 26, 2013
If you own a gun, that is personal property and you have to pay property tax on it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Batesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Does any one know? 18 min nono695 1
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 1 hr Question 35,406
Little Tijuana 2 hr old west 11
Erika Lawson 4 hr Waitwhat 1
420 house 5 hr nono695 1
Men wanted age 28-34 20 hr marcos s 6
teen age girls hiding Sat guest 3

Batesville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Batesville Mortgages