Comments
61 - 66 of 66 Comments Last updated Jun 15, 2012
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
InThisTime

Batesville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#61
Jun 11, 2012
 
guest wrote:
I am not sure why everyone is getting upset. Nobody in this town has enough money to argue a successful federal case. The sign is going to stay up. The thread starter obviously lacks a sense of purpose in life, so they feel the need to go around stirring drama up. Most of you fell for it.
Are you serious? Someone suggest actually following regulations and treating all religious beliefs and people equally and that is "stirring up drama." Also, how is this a sign that I have no purpose in life? Using some of my spare time to see if others support my opinion on a local, easy-to-fix, issue means that I have no purpose in life and that I'm trolling?

This actually shows why movements for religious equality needs to occur, when suggestions of religious equality are treat as a joke and trolling.
Razrbk Alum

Batesville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#62
Jun 11, 2012
 
InThisTime wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you serious? Someone suggest actually following regulations and treating all religious beliefs and people equally and that is "stirring up drama." Also, how is this a sign that I have no purpose in life? Using some of my spare time to see if others support my opinion on a local, easy-to-fix, issue means that I have no purpose in life and that I'm trolling?
This actually shows why movements for religious equality needs to occur, when suggestions of religious equality are treat as a joke and trolling.
Calm down. This is Topix. I love a good debate but look where you are. I'm surprised you haven't been called a Hooker or been told that you're going to Hell, lol. Don't take it personal but most debates here include "pee pee poo poo".
InThisTime

Batesville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#63
Jun 11, 2012
 
Razrbk Alum wrote:
You have quite the high opinion of yourself, I'm not saying that is a bad thing but you tend to think your views are the only correct one. You said that no one has convinced you otherwise? Duh, you think you're the definitive word. It is impossible to convince you otherwise. I sent emails to 6 people I went to college with and included what was on the sign. Four were Christian, one agnostic and one Athiest. Not a single person took that as the Goverment telling anyone what to do. We had debate as to whether is was legal, but no one took it as Goverment pushing anything. You have yet to support your initial claim. To say that sign is telling anyone anything is just plain false. You need to read up on the definition of being told what to do. BTW, the Athiest and Agnostic were on the side of the sign was legal. You have a very narrow view of rights. In fact you are the only truly close minded person on this thread.
No, I am open to the idea that I maybe wrong on certain issues. That was actually one of the reasons for me starting this thread, to see if anyone could provide a convincing counter argument. However, all I have receive so far is mostly angry yelling, assumptions, accusations, and insults. The only one that seems to have provided a somewhat civil argument has been you. However, your argument has pretty much amounted to,'Christianity is the largest so they deserve more rights.'

Also, concerning your emails to your friends, the problem is that the sign is an uneven, unjust endorsement. It isn't telling people to go to church (that would imply some sort of enforcement or directness/persistence), they are suggesting. If the sign was owned by and paid for by an individual, or group of individuals, and placed on their property (or property of someone giving consent of the sign placement), then it would be different. That is their right. However, the US, state, and local government has no place in religious affairs. Also, your friends, since they are friends, are more likely to share you views, therefore they are not very useful in a debate.

Finally, I encourage you to look through this thread and the thread "No Atheist Allowed" (since this issue is mentioned in it as well). There have been a few individuals that have agreed or see my point but don't personally care about the sign. Also, belonging to the majority or minority does not imply that a individual is correct or incorrect respectively.
InThisTime

Batesville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#64
Jun 11, 2012
 
Razrbk Alum wrote:
As far as your argument about us not being a Christian Nation. Take the Bed-Stuy section of Brooklyn, it is 80% African American. It is illegal for any Goverment entity to call any neighborhood White, Black, Latino or Jewish. There are no laws proclaiming Bed-Stuy a Black neighborhood. No one can keep any person of any race from living there. 20% of the residents are not African American. But Bed-Stuy is a Black neighborhood, everyone knows it. The African Americans support it and call the shots. Anyone trying to tell 80% they are wrong is just plain rude and wrong. If you have a problem with African Americans then don't live in Bed-Stuy. America is a Christian Nation.
I agree that government shouldn't call the example you gave a black neighborhood. After all, 20% of the people living there are not black. To call it a black neighborhood seems to put the other 20% as being of a lower significance. It is as if they would being saying, "Yes I understand you and these other people are not black, but you are not large enough to be considered so we are just going to say it's a black neighborhood." Now I see no problem with stating that it is a mostly black neighborhood. I also see no problem with referring to a neighborhood consisting entirely of black people as a black neighborhood (although I can't think of an instance that one would do so other than as a quick-fact in a similar manner that quick-facts about countries are stated). I believe religion should be treated the same way. Over 20% of the nation is not Christian. These people are citizens as well and deserve equal treatment. They shouldn't be treated as if they are not there or not equally important. If the Unites States consisted entirely of Christian people or if it were run by the church (or by the Bible) then yes it would be a Christian nation. However it is not. The US is based on religious freedom and over ~67 million people do not claim Christianity as their personal beliefs (this according to the 2010 Census religions demographic and national population report [which means the number is likely higher now]).
InThisTime

Batesville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#65
Jun 11, 2012
 
Razrbk Alum wrote:
<quoted text>Calm down. This is Topix. I love a good debate but look where you are. I'm surprised you haven't been called a Hooker or been told that you're going to Hell, lol. Don't take it personal but most debates here include "pee pee poo poo".
A am actually fairly calm. Some of my wording may be a bit passionate but I am actually not agitated. Surprised at times, but not agitated. Also, I have been called a hooker already but surprisingly have not been told to go to Hell though.
InThisTime

Batesville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66
Jun 15, 2012
 
Just an update:

It seems (as I expected) that the name JustSomeGuy is used by someone else as well. So be aware that individuals with this name may not be me.

With that said, I still think the sign should be removed and I'm am still interested to see who else agrees as well as what kind of constructive rebuttal can be given in opposition.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

15 Users are viewing the Batesville Forum right now

Search the Batesville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
AR Exit polls: Boozman defeats 2-term incumbent Li... (Nov '10) 59 min midnight oil 829
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 1 hr sybil 29,111
AR Arkansas Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 1 hr hank 3,834
AR Who do you support for Treasurer in Arkansas in... (Oct '10) 1 hr Bob 207
AR More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark (Jan '11) 1 hr Nathan 9,799
MILF Question 2 hr Nunya469 3
Christi Tesch 3 hr oil trough 13
•••
•••
•••
•••

Batesville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Batesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Batesville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Batesville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••