School Bus Drivers Asking Motorists t...

School Bus Drivers Asking Motorists to Brake

There are 27 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Mar 7, 2008, titled School Bus Drivers Asking Motorists to Brake. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

Across our state, the number of school bus accidents has steadily declined over the last five years, but officials say motorists - '-not bus drivers - '-are cited more often for causing those accidents.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

GGQ

Since: Mar 07

Columbia, SC

#1 Mar 7, 2008
People behind the wheel should have more respect for school buses and their precious cargo. They will wish they did stop when a child darts out in front of the bus and in front of their vehicle. Unfortunately, it might be too late.

Just use common sense. I know that is asking a lot of some of you.

Imagine the children on the bus being your own children, grandchildren, younger siblings or your best friend. Would you want to hurt or kill them?

Since: Jan 08

Batesburg, SC

#2 Mar 7, 2008
Most people don't care who's kid is on that bus. The buses are slow and they are late. They don't care about anything but themselves and each wreck proves it.

“SUNDANCE ”

Since: Nov 07

CAPITAL CREW 1%er

#3 Mar 7, 2008
arm the kids sitting in the back seats...and tailgating and rear end collisions will stop.
DIRTY DANCING

AOL

#4 Mar 7, 2008
THANK YOU DRIVER.I HAVE BEEN DRIVING SCHOOL BUS FOR FIVE YEARS IN MY DISTRICT.HAD TO STOP ON A TWO LANE ROAD IN FRONT OF THE SCHOOL TODAY,BECAUSE TWO OF MY CHILDREN ALMOST MISSED THE BUS.SITTING THERE WITH THE STOP SIGN OUT,CROSSING GATE OUT.AND HERE COMES THIS BLACK 2008 TOWN CARE JUST CRUSSING ON BY.ONCE I REACHED FOR MY PAPER AND PEN TO JOT DOWN THE TAG NUMBER SHE HAD THE NERVE TO SPEED UP.PEOPLE LIKE THIS DO NOT DESERVE TO HAVE A DRIVERS LICENSE.

Since: Feb 08

Cheraw, SC

#5 Mar 7, 2008
I wish people would refresh themselves on the rules of the road. One area that I travel daily, changed from 2 lanes to 4 lanes with a center median and there are way too many people who are going to cause an accident because they think that vehicles in the oncoming lanes must stop for the bus. They will also cause an accident.

Everyone should be cautious around buses.

“SUNDANCE ”

CAPITAL CREW 1%er

#6 Mar 7, 2008
I thought ALL LANES must stop for a school bus with the red flashing lights and stop sign deployed....

Since: Jan 08

Batesburg, SC

#7 Mar 7, 2008
If the highway has a divider then only the lanes going the same direction have to stop.

“SUNDANCE ”

CAPITAL CREW 1%er

#8 Mar 7, 2008
God Squad Member wrote:
If the highway has a divider then only the lanes going the same direction have to stop.
I guess I kinda figured that one was a given.....but then take highway 302 going through South Congo for example.....
Concerned

Columbia, SC

#9 Mar 7, 2008
As I read this, I am puzzled as to the either the drivers knowledge of laws or the sites research on the laws governing motor vehicles at a school bus drop off. Or heck even I am wrong...

Irregardless of the amount of lanes, The ONLY time you are not required to stop is if there is a raised(or depression)in the road. There can multiple lanes each way, with no divider and you are requred to stop by law.

EITHER WAY SLOW DOWN, Children are our future.

“I love my kids!”

Since: Mar 07

United States

#10 Mar 8, 2008
Me not being from SC, I just assumed (which you should never do, btw) that the law was like everywhere else I'd lived: the school bus stop lights meant that traffic had to stop in BOTH directions UNLESS there was a PHYSICAL barrier/divided road. However, my husband and I argued about this one so much that I looked it up on the DMV website, and sure enough, in SC you do NOT have to stop on a multi-lane highway if you're going in the opposite direction of the schoolbus. Amazing...

“Doling out harsh punishments”

Since: Mar 08

A firm, hard hand

#11 Mar 8, 2008
PC_Mom wrote:
Me not being from SC, I just assumed (which you should never do, btw) that the law was like everywhere else I'd lived: the school bus stop lights meant that traffic had to stop in BOTH directions UNLESS there was a PHYSICAL barrier/divided road. However, my husband and I argued about this one so much that I looked it up on the DMV website, and sure enough, in SC you do NOT have to stop on a multi-lane highway if you're going in the opposite direction of the schoolbus. Amazing...
tell us again how good it was where you came from...
Lonewolf

Leesville, SC

#12 Mar 8, 2008
Could the DOT make it just a little bit more confusing on when to stop for a bus and when it's not necessary to stop?

“ What's New ”

Since: Dec 07

And Exciting?

#13 Mar 8, 2008
Well, if you don't know if you are "supposed" to stop or not, err on the side of caution, and STOP!! My sister tells me that every day on her way home from work she sees some jerk or another passing right by a schoolbus with it's stop sign out and lights flashing. Generally on the Dam Road - and that is just ridiculous. Even if you don't have kids of your own, show some compassion you sociopathic morons! Every day that there is a report about a school bus wreck, my heart stops. Not only for my child who rides a bus, but because no child deserves to be hurt because of some adults' impatience and inconsideration. And, BTW, if SC is such a "laid back" state, why are you all in such a GD hurry to get everywhere you are going? People in SC ARE very nice people, until you get them behind the wheel of a car, then they are the MOST inconsiderate, rude, and speedy people I've ever driven with. I just don't understand what happens to you all when you get behind a wheel. I'm originally from VA, and I thought that MD drivers were bad, but y'all take the cake, hands down.
Roger Dorn

Quantico, VA

#14 Mar 8, 2008
I totally agree with everything said about the safety of children. But unfortunately the news failed to show what is on the other side of the wheel. School bus drivers are terrible drivers. If you want proof - drive around the Northeast on a school morning and you'll see plenty of running red lights and cutting people off. Don't be fooled folks - these bus drivers aren't saints.
School bus driver

Leesville, SC

#15 Mar 8, 2008
It's about time this is brought to the media's attention! Will motorists stop? I doubt it. I am a school bus driver and in the district I drive for, I have two to three vehicles run my stop arm a day. Some of them are parents of children on my bus. This has been going on for years. Maybe the fines should be greater than a thousand dollars. It is just umbelieveable how careless people are when it comes to these precious children.

“1%er”

Since: Sep 07

THE WORLD

#16 Mar 8, 2008
They should add a new feature to the buses....spike strips that automatically deploy when the bus stops lights and sign engage. That will teach 'em....

“Speak your mind.”

Since: Aug 07

Lavonia, GA

#17 Mar 8, 2008
Lonewolf wrote:
Could the DOT make it just a little bit more confusing on when to stop for a bus and when it's not necessary to stop?
OK, I had to reread the last few paragraphs a few times myself...and someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong...

On a two-lane road, only cars BEHIND the bus have to stop if the bus is just slowing down (amber lights)...oncoming traffic can proceed. But if the bus is at a complete stop (red lights), EVERY car has to stop, regardless of the direction.

On a multi-lane road, cars behind the bus stop, but oncoming traffic can proceed (since kids aren't supposed to cross multiple lanes).

Does that sound about right?

While I have been inconvenienced by being "stuck" behind a school bus, I realize that a child's life/safety are far more important than the few minutes more it will take me to get where I'm going...if I'm late, I'm late, but everyone will be alive. So I've learned to plan my commute to travel between the "bus rush" from the district I live in to the district I travel to, and that solves all of my problems.
Dist 1 Bus Driver

AOL

#18 Mar 8, 2008
This is addressed to Roger Dorn! Climb your a-- behind the steering wheel of a bus carrying upwards to 70 kids at a time....if you ain't been there, and if you are one of the impatient jerks that run stop signs, pass buses in no passing zones, or refuse to give buses their right of way because you are gonna have to pull in behind them, or ride a buses rear bumper, or refuse to follow traffic laws in general,,,,one day you will get what you deserve! A cell with Bubba!!!!
earl

Little River, SC

#19 Mar 8, 2008
Bus drivers need to get the plates of these vehicles and report them to the highway patrol or sheriffs department.
earl

Little River, SC

#20 Mar 8, 2008
Dist 1 Bus Driver wrote:
This is addressed to Roger Dorn! Climb your a-- behind the steering wheel of a bus carrying upwards to 70 kids at a time....if you ain't been there, and if you are one of the impatient jerks that run stop signs, pass buses in no passing zones, or refuse to give buses their right of way because you are gonna have to pull in behind them, or ride a buses rear bumper, or refuse to follow traffic laws in general,,,,one day you will get what you deserve! A cell with Bubba!!!!
lol..its actually a cell with 3 hairy men names BUBBA, BUBBA, and Maurice

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Batesburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local Politics Do you approve of Nikki Setzler as ? (Apr '16) Apr '16 Lone Ranger 1
Paul Harmon is a pedophile! (Jul '15) Dec '15 stownex 2
Looking for Joseph (Joey) Harmon (May '14) Dec '15 FollowChrist 13
News Three Arrested for Stealing 11 Trailers, 2 Cars (Jul '07) Sep '15 AintNoDummy 62
[REVIEW: Atty. Henrietta Gill] Heirs Property O... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Thelma J Irving T... 1
Review: Gill Henrietta DGN Atty (Jun '15) Jun '15 Thelma J Irving T... 1
News Batesburg man jailed for stabbing (Mar '15) Mar '15 mandy cockrell 1

Batesburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Batesburg Mortgages