More schoolchildren in Central Texas ...

More schoolchildren in Central Texas living in poverty

There are 24 comments on the Austin American-Statesman story from Nov 29, 2011, titled More schoolchildren in Central Texas living in poverty. In it, Austin American-Statesman reports that:

About 1 in 4 school-age children in Travis, Bastrop and Caldwell counties lived in poverty in 2010 higher than the national average and the poverty rate for schoolchildren has risen since the recession began in 4 of 5 counties in the Austin metro area, according to census estimates Tuesday reflecting the effects of the weakened economy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Austin American-Statesman.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jean

Pompano Beach, FL

#1 Dec 1, 2011
Ya think it may have something to do w/ the influx from south of the border. If I had one child I couldn't afford to feed or clothe, I sure would not have 4-5 more.
El Viajero

Cedar Park, TX

#2 Dec 3, 2011
We have plenty of our own folks who think it's everyone else's responsibility, except theirs, to take care of their children.

The problem is what we consider as "poverty". There are folks around the world that would consider some of our poor pretty well off.
El Cid

Austin, TX

#3 Dec 3, 2011
A large chunk of them are illegals or the children of illegals. Austin is a Sanctuary City so the city welcomes and protects them.
Aside for the illegals it is hard to be a working person in Austin as it has become a sort of elitist city where you have to have money, alot of it in order live a decent middle class or more life. Taxes only go up and services down but there is no shortage of pet projects from the city and no end to money for taxpayer funded give aways to companies and developers.

“Little boxes, little boxes...”

Since: Jan 09

Sao Paulo, Brasil

#4 Dec 3, 2011
El Cid wrote:
A large chunk of them are illegals or the children of illegals. Austin is a Sanctuary City so the city welcomes and protects them.
Aside for the illegals it is hard to be a working person in Austin as it has become a sort of elitist city where you have to have money, alot of it in order live a decent middle class or more life. Taxes only go up and services down but there is no shortage of pet projects from the city and no end to money for taxpayer funded give aways to companies and developers.
Here you go again with your stupidity. "illegals" is a very disrespectful term. They are human beings who are not citizens according to man-made boundaries. For you to refer to them as "illegals" is a reflection of how misinformed you really are. Too wrapped up in your own bitterness to realize that you are talking about people, human beings, same as you.

Chunky Punky

“Chasing Chunky's Chicks”

Since: Jun 11

Jackson Hole

#5 Dec 3, 2011
Jean wrote:
Ya think it may have something to do w/ the influx from south of the border. If I had one child I couldn't afford to feed or clothe, I sure would not have 4-5 more.
It has something to do with all the money we send overseas.
Look at all the poor children living in motels around Disney World near all the crack and violence and some are having to quit high school!!! to support their families.
America is giving EVERYTHING AWAY.
El Cid

Austin, TX

#6 Dec 3, 2011
NatalieAnastacia wrote:
<quoted text>
Here you go again with your stupidity. "illegals" is a very disrespectful term. They are human beings who are not citizens according to man-made boundaries. For you to refer to them as "illegals" is a reflection of how misinformed you really are. Too wrapped up in your own bitterness to realize that you are talking about people, human beings, same as you.
Deixe de gritar.
People are people to be sure but when a person breaks a law by enetering a counrty they are considered an illegal alien. A person legally entering is called a legal or a resident alien.

Maybe if some 20,000,000 or more illegal aliens invade Brasil and demand free education, healthcare, and other services then you would change you tone a bit.

“Little boxes, little boxes...”

Since: Jan 09

Sao Paulo, Brasil

#7 Dec 7, 2011
The term "illegal" is meant to disenfranchise immigrants as "aliens" and not as part of a humanity so that people who are easily swayed by marginilizing diction can just classify the immigrants as "other" and therefore not their problem. I'm sorry but my family, both from Mexico and Brasil, did not "invade" America and DEMAND any education, healthcare or any services. In fact, they contributed to the U.S. through me, making sure I got a good education and can contribute to the US society as a whole. I am a product of their "lawbreaking, alien" ways: a full time Pharm D student as well as social issue documentary filmmaker. Not too bad huh? And even if they did demand education, I would think that a great thing, not a nuisance. Education is the solution to many social ills, especially in the United States.
OOPS

Carmel, ME

#8 Dec 7, 2011
NatalieAnastacia wrote:
The term "illegal" is meant to disenfranchise immigrants as "aliens" and not as part of a humanity so that people who are easily swayed by marginilizing diction can just classify the immigrants as "other" and therefore not their problem. I'm sorry but my family, both from Mexico and Brasil, did not "invade" America and DEMAND any education, healthcare or any services. In fact, they contributed to the U.S. through me, making sure I got a good education and can contribute to the US society as a whole. I am a product of their "lawbreaking, alien" ways: a full time Pharm D student as well as social issue documentary filmmaker. Not too bad huh? And even if they did demand education, I would think that a great thing, not a nuisance. Education is the solution to many social ills, especially in the United States.
You were doing okay until that last sentence. Education is a solution to many social ills, even in Brazil, and not especially in the United States. The issue of someone coming from Mexico or Brazil was, as I have been reminded of so often by folks like you, to "better themselves" in a country that obviously was offering more of it's resources than the governments' of Mexico and Brazil were willing to offer it's own citizens. Why can't you see the "social ills" of these two countries? Why do you chose to insult the American people by making it sound like we are the ones that are poorly educated and need a lesson in the social graces? And if you want to make a documentary film that will have some merit in proving your success, why don't you go to Sinola and get the drug cartels to explain their social agenda, or to the numerous slums in Brazil and document the shameful numbers of orphans and children that live on the streets like animals?

“Little boxes, little boxes...”

Since: Jan 09

Sao Paulo, Brasil

#9 Dec 8, 2011
OOPS wrote:
<quoted text>
You were doing okay until that last sentence. Education is a solution to many social ills, even in Brazil, and not especially in the United States. The issue of someone coming from Mexico or Brazil was, as I have been reminded of so often by folks like you, to "better themselves" in a country that obviously was offering more of it's resources than the governments' of Mexico and Brazil were willing to offer it's own citizens. Why can't you see the "social ills" of these two countries? Why do you chose to insult the American people by making it sound like we are the ones that are poorly educated and need a lesson in the social graces? And if you want to make a documentary film that will have some merit in proving your success, why don't you go to Sinola and get the drug cartels to explain their social agenda, or to the numerous slums in Brazil and document the shameful numbers of orphans and children that live on the streets like animals?
You've no idea the extent of my work and I don't really feel the need to "prove my success" to you. I understand how vital education is in both Mexico and Brazil but just as you said, America has more resources, more power yet less people who really understand how to allocate those resources in order to provide a better situation for all humans involved, regardless of their national origin. I just don't see the logic in bailing out billion dollar corporations who mismanaged their finances yet allowing those who come to America seeking refuge to go without food, clothing, shelter....in the grand scheme of things, it just doesn't make sense to me.
OOPS

Carmel, ME

#10 Dec 8, 2011
NatalieAnastacia wrote:
<quoted text>
You've no idea the extent of my work and I don't really feel the need to "prove my success" to you. I understand how vital education is in both Mexico and Brazil but just as you said, America has more resources, more power yet less people who really understand how to allocate those resources in order to provide a better situation for all humans involved, regardless of their national origin. I just don't see the logic in bailing out billion dollar corporations who mismanaged their finances yet allowing those who come to America seeking refuge to go without food, clothing, shelter....in the grand scheme of things, it just doesn't make sense to me.
You are the one who brought up your "success" as proof Mexicans and Brazilians may do well here. You also made it clear it was in the field of making, or producing, documentaries. So, what is wrong with my suggestion you make a documentary, or two, telling the real story of how social ills are with the lack of "human" compassion both the Mexican and Brazilian governments extend to their citizens which forces those citizens to seek compassion elsewhere?

But then again, you tipped your true nature when you start attacking "billion dollar corporations" for mismanaging their finances,(money), when they should be giving their money to the people who seek refuge here, legally or illegally. Your solution smacks of Communism from the mouth of a Socialist. God only asked for 10% return on His blessings and does quite well taking care of people. You, on the other hand, want all that America has, in order take care of people even their own won't help, and you have the shameful selfishness to take what you could from America and not go back to share your good fortune with those who are too helpless in Mexico and Brasil to even get here. Why don't you try casting your bread upon the waters before you start telling others what to do?

And by the way, I don't think there's any "extent" to your work that makes you superior to anyone else, and a truly successful person's "success" is always measured in the silence of the deed done.

Since: Aug 10

El Paso, TX

#11 Dec 9, 2011
Thank you Austin mafia for your right wing open borders hypocrisy so your donors can get cheap labor.

And thank you for championing corporate welfare of all sorts while making up the difference in all sorts of other taxes.

And most of all thank you dimwitted texans and your astounding wisdom to vote 2 brain damaged cheerleaders in a row as governor. You can rationalize yourself into self delusion over that one, but the rest of the world sees you for what you are, and your top polluting, low median wage state.

Since: Aug 10

El Paso, TX

#12 Dec 9, 2011
OOPS wrote:
you start attacking "billion dollar corporations" for mismanaging their finances,(money), when they should be giving their money to the people who seek refuge here,
My dog! That sounds horrific!

Taxpayer money only need to go one way, up top to the 1%, not the other way around!

You dastardly communists, how dare you suggest otherwise.

When a big bank runs a casino pyramid scheme and it goes bust, you as an american taxpayer must cover their losses!

When the financial collapse it causes makes you unable to pay for stuff because you're unemployed, you are a bum and must get a job! Who else is going to subsidize the big bank casino pyramid schemes??

Since: Aug 10

El Paso, TX

#13 Dec 10, 2011
No response to the truth, just cute little icon judgments like finger painting children. Perry apologist scum.
OOPS

Carmel, ME

#14 Dec 11, 2011
Kool Arrow wrote:
No response to the truth, just cute little icon judgments like finger painting children. Perry apologist scum.
I'll be happy to reply when you explain "the truth". As of now, your position in this debate goes wanting when you use "little icon judgments" without any basis-such as whether, or not, I even know who "Perry" is. Would it be possible for you to be more specific, or do you suffer from some form of "disassociation" disorder?

Since: Aug 10

El Paso, TX

#15 Dec 11, 2011
OOPS wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll be happy to reply when you explain "the truth". As of now, your position in this debate goes wanting when you use "little icon judgments" without any basis-such as whether, or not, I even know who "Perry" is. Would it be possible for you to be more specific, or do you suffer from some form of "disassociation" disorder?
If I need to explain to you that you must reply to existing posts to begin to have a point with your goofy responses, then you are lost and there is no point in you trying, despite attempts to spoon feed you.
OOPS

Carmel, ME

#16 Dec 11, 2011
Kool Arrow wrote:
<quoted text>
If I need to explain to you that you must reply to existing posts to begin to have a point with your goofy responses, then you are lost and there is no point in you trying, despite attempts to spoon feed you.
Then you don't want to debate with me. I have had more intelligent conversations with rocks than with a jackass like you. BTW, who appointed you the moderator of this Forum/topix thread?

Let me make it simple for you. You have nothing to say-you have nothing to offer-you have nothing. I live here in Austin. I see it everyday. It's my town. You know nothing about Austin. So where are you going to correct my perceptions and my opinions on what goes on here? You're a 14 year old troll-what do you know about anything? Now that ought to about do it.

Since: Aug 10

El Paso, TX

#17 Dec 11, 2011
OOPS wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you don't want to debate with me. I have had more intelligent conversations with rocks than with a jackass like you. BTW, who appointed you the moderator of this Forum/topix thread?
Let me make it simple for you. You have nothing to say-you have nothing to offer-you have nothing. I live here in Austin. I see it everyday. It's my town. You know nothing about Austin. So where are you going to correct my perceptions and my opinions on what goes on here? You're a 14 year old troll-what do you know about anything? Now that ought to about do it.
Oh look, another self proclaimed expert and chest thumping airclaim deacon. We never see that on the internet. Good of you to tell us that I "have nothing", with so much airclaim that you offer. Who said anything about moderation, skippy?

And what debate? All you've thrown out is one big whine. So you live in Austin and that makes you what, an expert on no-corruption in Texas government? I guess that makes a resident of Saudi Arabia an authority on corroborating facts about Saudi government fairness.

Do you excuse Perry's corruption
(this is standard Texas politics) and pathetic performance away from action figure posing sessions? Oh, right, you said you may not even know who Perry is, you just came in here to brainfart goofy whines at me.

How about two empirically observable stupidfuk cheerleaders in a row elected as Texas governors. Do you have any pseudo-intellectual hot air to blow about that? Maybe just throw up a five year old's pointing finger and spout something about "liberals"? Anything apart from that?

What about the bottom academic achievements in the state? What about the top polluter rating? What about one of the lowest median incomes in the country?

“Little boxes, little boxes...”

Since: Jan 09

Sao Paulo, Brasil

#18 Dec 12, 2011
OOPS wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one who brought up your "success" as proof Mexicans and Brazilians may do well here. You also made it clear it was in the field of making, or producing, documentaries. So, what is wrong with my suggestion you make a documentary, or two, telling the real story of how social ills are with the lack of "human" compassion both the Mexican and Brazilian governments extend to their citizens which forces those citizens to seek compassion elsewhere?
But then again, you tipped your true nature when you start attacking "billion dollar corporations" for mismanaging their finances,(money), when they should be giving their money to the people who seek refuge here, legally or illegally. Your solution smacks of Communism from the mouth of a Socialist. God only asked for 10% return on His blessings and does quite well taking care of people. You, on the other hand, want all that America has, in order take care of people even their own won't help, and you have the shameful selfishness to take what you could from America and not go back to share your good fortune with those who are too helpless in Mexico and Brasil to even get here. Why don't you try casting your bread upon the waters before you start telling others what to do?
And by the way, I don't think there's any "extent" to your work that makes you superior to anyone else, and a truly successful person's "success" is always measured in the silence of the deed done.
What is wronmg with your "suggestion" is that I've already worked on quite a few documentaries covering this very issue. I do feel very successful in my work, considering I don't feel the need to tell you my name or my website or the projects that I've done. Just realize that I do have a lot of experience working with immigration law reform and have done my share of research both in the field and in the office. I'm sorry you have such a chip on your shoulder about assisting other human beings in the struggle to succeed in life, you obviously have no foresight in the nature of humanity or consider the fact that the more we try to keep immigrants marginalized, the weaker our community and economy will be. If people learned to encourage success and if they have means, foster that success to any human being seeking it, then this country would be a much better place. Americans are so greedy and you are a prime example. Thank you for proving my point. And by the way, I live in Austin as well and your comment about you living here, experiencing the horridness that is immigrants, is largely exaggerated. I have felt no negative effect except for the fact that all the blacks and hispanics (marginalized races, regardless of their nationaloty) are all pushed to the east side in highly underdeveloped parts of the city where success is not fostered and their race is a barrier to their increase in social status. So if you ask me, the probloem are not the immigrants but the people (like you) who are so insitant on oppression.
Ibelieve

Carmel, ME

#19 Dec 12, 2011
NatalieAnastacia wrote:
<quoted text>
What is wronmg with your "suggestion" is that I've already worked on quite a few documentaries covering this very issue. I do feel very successful in my work, considering I don't feel the need to tell you my name or my website or the projects that I've done. Just realize that I do have a lot of experience working with immigration law reform and have done my share of research both in the field and in the office. I'm sorry you have such a chip on your shoulder about assisting other human beings in the struggle to succeed in life, you obviously have no foresight in the nature of humanity or consider the fact that the more we try to keep immigrants marginalized, the weaker our community and economy will be. If people learned to encourage success and if they have means, foster that success to any human being seeking it, then this country would be a much better place. Americans are so greedy and you are a prime example. Thank you for proving my point. And by the way, I live in Austin as well and your comment about you living here, experiencing the horridness that is immigrants, is largely exaggerated. I have felt no negative effect except for the fact that all the blacks and hispanics (marginalized races, regardless of their nationaloty) are all pushed to the east side in highly underdeveloped parts of the city where success is not fostered and their race is a barrier to their increase in social status. So if you ask me, the probloem are not the immigrants but the people (like you) who are so insitant on oppression.
I would greatly appreciate you not putting words into my text that are not there. I have said nothing to marginalize anyone, nor have I made any reference to experiencing horridness related to immigrants. But I do question your use of the word immigrant. By definition, an immigrant is a person who enters a country legally with the intent to become a legalized citizen by establishing a perminant residence within that country.

The key elements of this definition are the words legally entering and intent to become a legal citizen. By any other description it is the law of immigration. Every other civilized country on this planet has immigration laws, and these laws are designed to regulate the flow of people into one's country. Many are much harsher than ours. You deal with the visual media-surley you have kept up on what happens if a American strays into Iran or North Korea. Some countries allow their boarder guards to shoot anyone who tries an illegal entry-Mexico for example.

So, my position on the matter is simple. When my ancestors stepped off the boat at Plymouth and Philidelphia in the early 1600s, they were required to register with colonial authorities and to sign an oath of alligence to the King of England. This oath required them to renounce all of their political and religious ties with their mother countries. I am also a decendent of some who did not come here willingly-they were deported here because they changed the religious beliefs. I am also decended from native Americans of the Chocktaw Nation of Alabama who were required to leave the ancestral lands and relocate to the states of Texas, Arkansas, and Oklahoma. For five hundred years my family had to work their butts off to stay here, survive here, and make the U.S. what it is today. I'm somewhat resentful of people who come here illegally and feel they can take what I worked for all my life and if I refuse to give it willingly, then they destroy it. Where am I making some invalid point as a citizen of my country where you can accuse me of being a greedy American? I'm just an American in my own country.
Jean

Tulsa, OK

#20 Dec 12, 2011
Bravo to lbelieve, well stated. Your ancestors came to this country to make it better, not, drain all they could get, then snub their noses @ AMERICANS.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bastrop Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Texas hit man gets second stay of execution 2 hr Ben Ghazi IV 1
News 'I apologize to the LGBT community': Texas past... 13 hr Skippy 12
Hottttt chick at gas station Fri JULIO 2
hippie hollow Aug 24 Delberto 6
News Has Central Texas barbecue forgotten its Africa... Aug 23 Scotty Steiner 7
Trump's outbursts prove he's unstable Aug 23 YKCUTNEK 5
Luling ISD Aug 15 Grounded Eagle 2

Bastrop Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bastrop Mortgages