Have Johnny Robertson and his COC bee...

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#275 Nov 18, 2013
Barnsweb wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously, they have no clue what they were restoring. They had a good idea in principal, to set aside doctrinal creeds to just follow the Bible - but then fell flat on their face and have debated and devoured themselves by now. Any more it's hard to tell a CoC from a Baptist of 20 years ago - aside from not having a piano or organ in the building...
Isaiah 42. What do you think God was calling them to restore? The shortfalls of their fathers? Following after their own hearts and falling backwards?(Jer. 7)
If Prophecy says the Messiah would magnify Torah and cause the Gentiles to keep the Torah - is Jesus not the Messiah because Gentile Christians today say that He came to nail the Torah to the cross? Many Jews reject Jesus because the Gentiles pay no attention to the longest standing record of the commandments of God and think it was done away with...
You are describing every protestant community.

The only difference is the COC was just created in terms of salvation history,(younger than the US), and look how fast it has eroded. It never really took off anyway. You guys just happen to born into it. You only got up to a few million members worldwide and 1/2 of those are in Tenn and Texas. In future history, the restoration movement will be footnote as a abject failure.

Protestantism cannot survive. As they divide they go down to the lowest level to the "Bible and Me" ( I don't need a Church ) to agnostic or atheism.

This is why Jesus gave authority to run his Church to a man and not a book.

God has down this throughout history with Abraham, Moses and David for example.
William

Talladega, AL

#276 Nov 18, 2013
Barnsweb wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you sold all you have and given the proceeds to the poor yet? If you believe that is what He's telling you to do - by all means do that!
This bent is a effort to set aside His commandments.
Do you have more than one coat? Have you given all your extra clothes to the Salvation Army or a local Church clothing closet? After all, He said if you have more than one coat, give to him who has none...
When you have a serious or substantive thought, do drop me a line...
I have not. Because my righteousness is worthless and so is everyone else's. Including yours.

You have completely and utterly missed that point. God will only accept the righteousness of his son imputed to you, me, or anyone else.

You ain't gonna work your way into heaven.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#277 Nov 18, 2013
There is no doubt those sitting in the pews of the Church of Christ/Christian Church denominations believe if Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter, Paul and Mary walked into their Sunday morning worship services they would immediately recognize what was going on and feel right at home. Can you imagine the looks on the faces of these seven when the trays with little cups of Welchs Pasteurized Grape Juice are passed around?
Older and Wiser

Rolla, MO

#278 Nov 18, 2013
William wrote:
<quoted text>
Revised, alright. All revised to say completely different things from one another throughout the body of text.
Was the KJV just not good enough?
Look, almost every church member I know in the Church of Christ uses both THE KING JAMES BIBLE as their ONLY source of reference. However, some members use the KING JAMES BIBLE & also have/refer to a revised version of the KING JAMES BIBLE. These revised versions say THE VERY SAME THING as the KING JAMES BIBLE (only in a more modern day speech).

I think you're just reaching here - only to have something to argue about...

Location hidden

#279 Nov 18, 2013
Older and Wiser wrote:
<quoted text>
Look, almost every church member I know in the Church of Christ uses both THE KING JAMES BIBLE as their ONLY source of reference. However, some members use the KING JAMES BIBLE & also have/refer to a revised version of the KING JAMES BIBLE. These revised versions say THE VERY SAME THING as the KING JAMES BIBLE (only in a more modern day speech).
Why use a Church of England (Anglican) Bible? Do you even know why you use a specific bible over another.

Location hidden

#280 Nov 18, 2013
What the real thing has looked and sounded like for so very many centuries. Please note you hear only the human voice without the accompaniment of musical instruments.

http://youtu.be/pi0sUPdAZwc
William

Birmingham, AL

#281 Nov 18, 2013
Older and Wiser wrote:
<quoted text>
They do not all say the same thing.

Look at Luke 2:33 and 1 Corinthians 1:18, to name just two glaring examples. And your favorite verse, Acts 2:38, changes the word "remission" to "forgiveness" in the newer versions.

Also wildly incorrect, but you are free to stick with your denomination's teaching over what the Bible actually says.
William

Birmingham, AL

#282 Nov 18, 2013
Mike_Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why use a Church of England (Anglican) Bible? Do you even know why you use a specific bible over another.
Your church is absolutely no different. They've used everything from the Latin Vulgate to the Douhey-Rheims 1899 to the NASB to a few other modern ones. At a Catholic hospital in downtown Birmingham, you can even find the KJV in the chapel.

No consistency whatsoever.
Dave P

Dahlonega, GA

#283 Nov 18, 2013
William wrote:
<quoted text>
I have not. Because my righteousness is worthless and so is everyone else's. Including yours.
You have completely and utterly missed that point. God will only accept the righteousness of his son imputed to you, me, or anyone else.
You ain't gonna work your way into heaven.
Jesus disagreed. "Unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you shall by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."

There is no Bible passage that states that the perfect righteousness of Christ is credited to our accounts. Calvinist, Evangelical falsehood perhaps?
Dave P

Dahlonega, GA

#284 Nov 18, 2013
Mike_Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are describing every protestant community.
The only difference is the COC was just created in terms of salvation history,(younger than the US), and look how fast it has eroded. It never really took off anyway. You guys just happen to born into it. You only got up to a few million members worldwide and 1/2 of those are in Tenn and Texas. In future history, the restoration movement will be footnote as a abject failure.
Protestantism cannot survive. As they divide they go down to the lowest level to the "Bible and Me" ( I don't need a Church ) to agnostic or atheism.
I agree. The old-line reformed denominations are dying, as is the coc. The evangelicals, no doctrine whatsoever, and the "Bible and me" crowd is the popular thing now.
William

Birmingham, AL

#285 Nov 18, 2013
Dave P wrote:
Jesus disagreed. "Unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you shall by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."

There is no Bible passage that states that the perfect righteousness of Christ is credited to our accounts. Calvinist, Evangelical falsehood perhaps?
2 Corinthians 5:19-21

19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.

21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

When we trust that Christ died for our sins, was buried, and resurrected for our justification, the righteousness of Jesus Christ is imputed to us and it can never be taken away.

And almost no one actually believes this. Certainly not the AENT people or the JWO crowd.

Location hidden

#286 Nov 18, 2013
William wrote:
<quoted text>
Your church is absolutely no different. They've used everything from the Latin Vulgate to the Douhey-Rheims 1899 to the NASB to a few other modern ones. At a Catholic hospital in downtown Birmingham, you can even find the KJV in the chapel.
It's interesting to note the original KJV contained all the books of the Bible. I prefer the D-R...really dislike Today's English Version which is often handed out to RCIA classes.

Location hidden

#287 Nov 18, 2013
Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. The old-line reformed denominations are dying, as is the coc. The evangelicals, no doctrine whatsoever, and the "Bible and me" crowd is the popular thing now.
In this area the Disciples of Christ are in dramatic decline.

Location hidden

#288 Nov 18, 2013
William wrote:
<quoted text>
St Vincent's. My grandchild was born there. It doesn't have the one you read. Luther took 7 books out of yours. I have prayed in that Chapel and eaten the body of Jesus there. And who knows who put that Bible in there. Catholic hospitals have treated more people in the history of the world even protestants and pagans.

The Latin Vulgate is still the official Bible of the CC. It is the first Bible ever put together. It is the standard.

But hey, the best Bible is one that you might read. It may not be the correct translation but it will get you started. Just use one with the all of the written word of God in it or you will be missing something.
William

Talladega, AL

#289 Nov 18, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
It's interesting to note the original KJV contained all the books of the Bible. I prefer the D-R...really dislike Today's English Version which is often handed out to RCIA classes.
I have a 1611 KJV copy with the Apochrypha.

Location hidden

#290 Nov 18, 2013
William wrote:
<quoted text>
I stay with the NAB because it is used in the Church in the US and I am a Lector at Mass.
Older and Wiser

Rolla, MO

#293 Nov 18, 2013
Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Look up "The Living Oracles" by Alexander Campbell, and "Why I am a member of the church of Christ". You probably own that one.
2. The non-instrumental coc has most "members" in Tennessee and Texas. The further north you go, the less it appears.
3. SS means "sola scriptura", basically stating that anyone can pick up a Bible, understand it, and doesn't need the help of anyone else to interpret and understand. It can mean different things to different people. I no longer feel this is a viable way to interpret the Bible. Nor is the "Command, Example, Necessary Inference" the churches of Christ use to interpret Scripture.
The more you claim to know about church of Christ the more ignorance you show. YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT CHURCH OF CHRIST -OTHER THAN THAT WHAT YOU CAN FIND ON THE INTERNET.

All through the south - there are thousands & thousands of churches of Christ. Missouri & many mid-west states are full of churches of Christ.

Why don't you give it a rest - YOU DON'T KNOW DIDDLY SQUAT ABOUT THE LORD'S CHURCH...

Which is a shame and very saddening...

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#294 Nov 18, 2013
Older and Wiser wrote:
<quoted text>
The more you claim to know about church of Christ the more ignorance you show. YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT CHURCH OF CHRIST -OTHER THAN THAT WHAT YOU CAN FIND ON THE INTERNET.
All through the south - there are thousands & thousands of churches of Christ. Missouri & many mid-west states are full of churches of Christ.
Why don't you give it a rest - YOU DON'T KNOW DIDDLY SQUAT ABOUT THE LORD'S CHURCH...
Which is a shame and very saddening...
Why don't you tell us then the truth about the Church Of Christ? If we are all wrong then tell us what is right.
Older and Wiser

Rolla, MO

#295 Nov 18, 2013
Olethros wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you tell us then the truth about the Church Of Christ? If we are all wrong then tell us what is right.
What do you want to know about the church, If you'll go back when I first started posting on this forum (a week or so ago), you'll find out a whole lot about the teachings of the church of Christ.

If you want to know anything further - just ask me.
Older and Wiser

Rolla, MO

#296 Nov 18, 2013
Olethros wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to read all I've written on this thread about the church of Christ - you can start reading my posts - my first post was on Wednesday Nov 13, 2013 on page 9 of this thread (post #161)

If you want to know more - just ask me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bassett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Catholics (Feb '14) 3 hr Barnsweb 2,432
Questions for Catholic Ecclesial Communities 5 hr listen 47
Why won't Johnny intrude on a Catholic Church? 6 hr anonymous 19
Johnny Robertson denies his baptism.... WOW! 13 hr News Bit 55
Questions for Non-Catholic Ecclesial Communities 14 hr Mike_Peterson 91
Why the vulgar sex talk on Star News? May 31 JGF 9
AD 70 Doctrine Easily Refuted May 30 Barnsweb 12
More from around the web

Bassett People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE