Have Johnny Robertson and his COC bee...
Dave P

Alto, GA

#188 Nov 14, 2013
Older and Wiser wrote:
After viewing & listening to him - I can tell you that JOHNNY ROBERTSON HAS MORE KNOWLEDGE OF THE TEACHINGS OF THE BIBLE - THAN ANYONE I HAVE EVER HEARD, SEEN OR KNOWN & I am 70 years old!
What a joy is is to have a preacher proclaim the whole TRUTH in the WORD OF GOD! I have been a Church of Christ member all my life & Johnny is the best at explaining the teachings of the Bible that I have ever heard!!!
Hey old timer- I am a lifelong "church of Christ" member too. I totally disagree with Johnny Robertson on several things, the method he went about doing some of the things he did. Perhaps several things you've been taught over the years aren't exactly "gospel truth".

Since: Nov 13

Chicago, IL

#189 Nov 14, 2013
Is Johnny Robertson a Pope over the mary people on here.
Older and Wiser

Rolla, MO

#191 Nov 14, 2013
Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey old timer- I am a lifelong "church of Christ" member too. I totally disagree with Johnny Robertson on several things, the method he went about doing some of the things he did. Perhaps several things you've been taught over the years aren't exactly "gospel truth".
Dave P,

I would be very interested to know what you think Johnny Robertson was teaching which was not "Gospel Truth". Please respond.

I can understand some people (like you) might not approve of the way Johnny & others in his ministry went about teaching THE GOSPEL - but, it doesn't mean what Johnny & his ministry taught - wasn't 100% Gospel Truths - found in the bible.

I don't know how old you are - but if you are from the younger generation - I'm sure you don't remember the way Church of Christ preachers USED TO TEACH. They preached the Gospel in no uncertain terms! This was way before this so-called "political correctnes" nonsense came along.

Decades ago - it was common for Church of Christ preachers to debate preachers of Denominational churches. This was a time when the Church of Christ was growing by leaps & bounds. It got to the point that BAPTIST PREACHERS STARTED REFUSING TO DEBATE WITH CHURCH OF CHRIST PREACHERS - BECAUSE THOSE BAPTIST PREACHERS COULD NEVER WIN A DEBATE!

These debates opened the eyes of many many people. Many people left the Baptist church & became members of the Church of Christ.

It's a sad commentary for the church that Church of Christ preachers today - don't preach with the zeal & conviction that preachers did in the past.

WHY IS IT THAT WE NEVER HAVE BIBICALE DEBATES ANY MORE - is it because of this so-called "political" nonsense.

Since Church of Christ preachers are no longer as aggressive in their teaching as they were in the past could be a big reason that the Church hasn't grown in the last few decades as they have in the past.

Please respond to me about the things you feel Johnny was teaching which were not GOSPEL TRUTHS. Perhaps, I may be able to set you straight on these matters...
William

Eastaboga, AL

#192 Nov 14, 2013
Sounds like a paid ad to me.
Older and Wiser

Rolla, MO

#193 Nov 14, 2013
William wrote:
Sounds like a paid ad to me.
No paid ad, just a 70 year old long-time Church of Christ member replying to Dave P's comment. He claims to also be a long time Church of Christ member - but, from some of the things he's said - I'm wondering if he REALLY IS A MEMBER OF THE CHURCH OF CHRIST???

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#194 Nov 14, 2013
Older and Wiser wrote:
<quoted text>Dave P,

I would be very interested to know what you think Johnny Robertson was teaching which was not "Gospel Truth". Please respond.

I can understand some people (like you) might not approve of the way Johnny & others in his ministry went about teaching THE GOSPEL - but, it doesn't mean what Johnny & his ministry taught - wasn't 100% Gospel Truths - found in the bible.

I don't know how old you are - but if you are from the younger generation - I'm sure you don't remember the way Church of Christ preachers USED TO TEACH. They preached the Gospel in no uncertain terms! This was way before this so-called "political correctnes" nonsense came along.

Decades ago - it was common for Church of Christ preachers to debate preachers of Denominational churches. This was a time when the Church of Christ was growing by leaps & bounds. It got to the point that BAPTIST PREACHERS STARTED REFUSING TO DEBATE WITH CHURCH OF CHRIST PREACHERS - BECAUSE THOSE BAPTIST PREACHERS COULD NEVER WIN A DEBATE!

These debates opened the eyes of many many people. Many people left the Baptist church & became members of the Church of Christ.

It's a sad commentary for the church that Church of Christ preachers today - don't preach with the zeal & conviction that preachers did in the past.

WHY IS IT THAT WE NEVER HAVE BIBICALE DEBATES ANY MORE - is it because of this so-called "political" nonsense.

Since Church of Christ preachers are no longer as aggressive in their teaching as they were in the past could be a big reason that the Church hasn't grown in the last few decades as they have in the past.

Please respond to me about the things you feel Johnny was teaching which were not GOSPEL TRUTHS. Perhaps, I may be able to set you straight on these matters...
Why would anybody want to listen to you. You have no authority
Older and Wiser

Rolla, MO

#195 Nov 14, 2013
Mike_Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would anybody want to listen to you. You have no authority
The only authority I have is the Word of God in the Bible.

I also have the benefit of having lived 70 years - most of it as a member of the Church of Christ. I have seen how the attitudes of some members of the church has changed over the years. It seems some of them are not as zealous of their beliefs as they have been in the past - and that is SADDENING.

Some of the members of the church have even become so liberal that they no longer believe that baptism is necessary for salvation. Some of them now also believe it is acceptable to have instrumental music in worship service.

The people who have these beliefs are not MEMBERS OF THE TRUE CHURCH OF CHRIST - because they have departed from the teachings of the bible.

They are no longer worthy of being called members of the church of Christ...
William

Birmingham, AL

#196 Nov 14, 2013
O&W let me ask you a question:

If you committed a sin, any kind of sin, and then less than a minute later you died suddenly without repenting of this sin and asking for forgiveness, would you go to hell?

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#197 Nov 14, 2013
Older and Wiser wrote:
<quoted text>
That isn't for you to judge.
Dave P

Owingsville, KY

#198 Nov 14, 2013
Older and Wiser wrote:
<quoted text>
I also have the benefit of having lived 70 years - most of it as a member of the Church of Christ. I have seen how the attitudes of some members of the church has changed over the years. It seems some of them are not as zealous of their beliefs as they have been in the past - and that is SADDENING.
Some of the members of the church have even become so liberal that they no longer believe that baptism is necessary for salvation. Some of them now also believe it is acceptable to have instrumental music in worship service.
The people who have these beliefs are not MEMBERS OF THE TRUE CHURCH OF CHRIST - because they have departed from the teachings of the bible.
Old timer, BCV for "worship service" in the New Testament.
Question- are we commanded to sing?
Dave P

Owingsville, KY

#199 Nov 14, 2013
Older and Wiser wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave P,
For one thing, the instrumental debate is complete nonsense. No "worship service" mentioned in the NT. Passages used to argue are misread and misused.

He has used Ezra 10 to justify his stance on divorce, which is completely out of context.

One reasons debates shouldn't happen is because nowadays no one LISTENS. It is just a show to see who can argue better- forget the subject matter.

Location hidden

#201 Nov 14, 2013
And nobody is going to debate Johnny, Micah, Mark ad nausea because nobody takes them seriously.

Micah and Mark couldn't stand that they're being ignored so they harassed a church in Ringgold this week. When will they get it hammered into their skulls full of mush that they can't whine people into going to a Church of Christ.

Location hidden

#202 Nov 14, 2013
When will Johnny condemn Charles for talking about bisexuality on Headliners this week? What do they have to hide?

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#203 Nov 15, 2013
Older and Wiser wrote:
<quoted text>
A low end Prot is a low end Prot. It really doesn't matter which one you go to on Sunday morning. You folks believe whatever you want to believe and then argue about which 'whatever you want to believe' is right.

What a waste of your time. All you do is to continue to carve up the Kingdom of God and the Body of Christ.

If you are 70, you better go down to CC and try like hell to get into the RCIA program this year. Can you swim?
Older and Wiser

Rolla, MO

#204 Nov 15, 2013
William wrote:
O&W let me ask you a question:
If you committed a sin, any kind of sin, and then less than a minute later you died suddenly without repenting of this sin and asking for forgiveness, would you go to hell?
It would depend upon whether I had been baptized (for the remission of my sins)(first having believed that Jesus was the son of God, and repented of my sins and then confessed my belief that Christ was the Son of God).

It would also depend upon whether I had been faithfully living a Christian life up until the time of my death.

Now, as far as the sin you mention - there are all kinds of sins.

Sometimes we commit sins by not even being fully aware of it. Maybe we have committed the sin of neglect - by not visiting with & supporting the shut-ins, the widows, the orphans etc. Maybe, we have been selfish and not given as we have been prospered during worship on Sunday.

There are also more serious sins - like adultry, theft or even murder.

Now, since I'm no authority on what God would do (for sure)- all I have is his written word to guide me.

After we have believed, repented of our sins, confessed our faith in Jesus & then been baptized (for the remission of our sins)- I believe we are told in the Bible that we are in a SAVED CONDITION (if we remain faithful till death).

Now, the bible also tells us that if we go back out into the world of sin (rejecting Christ) that we will be lost (or go to hell).

Christ WILL NEVER TAKE AWAY OUR SALVATION!!! But, we can REJECT CHRIST & OUR SALVATION - BY GOING BACK OUT INTO A LIFE OF SIN!

We have scripture after scripture in the bible warning us that we must TAKE HEED LEST WE FALL. Yes, we MOST ASSUREDLY can fall back into the world of sin - and be lost!!!

To get back to your question. Would we be lost if we just committed just ONE SIN and - HAD NOT asked God for forgivness - my answer would be - NO WE WOULD NOT GO TO HELL..

This would include any kind of sin (except for the sin of blastphemy) even adultry, theft or murder...
Older and Wiser

Rolla, MO

#205 Nov 15, 2013
Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
For one thing, the instrumental debate is complete nonsense. No "worship service" mentioned in the NT. Passages used to argue are misread and misused.
He has used Ezra 10 to justify his stance on divorce, which is completely out of context.
One reasons debates shouldn't happen is because nowadays no one LISTENS. It is just a show to see who can argue better- forget the subject matter.
Dave P,
You may claim to be a member of the Church of Christ - by your remarks, I FIND THIS VERY HARD TO BELIEVE!!!

I think you have fallen into one of those churches that wear the name "Church of Christ" but in reality have become so LIBERAL - that you no longer follow the teaching of the bible.

Did you know that some of those FAKE CHRUCHES OF CHRIST NOW BELIEVE THAT BAPTISM IS NOT NECESSARY FOR SALVATION??

I have no idea what Johnny Robertson's stance is on either instrumental music in the worship service or on divorce.

The commandment we are given regarding singing in worship can be found in (Ephesians 5:19) the early Christians were commanded to be "speaking to themselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, SINGING AND MAKING MELODY IN THIER HEART TO THE LORD".

Now, we all know that God COMMANDED THAT INSTRUMENTS be used in worship back in the Old Covenant. God instructed what kind of instumental, who was to play that instrument etc. God was VERY VERY SPECIFIC what kind of instrumental music he wanted back under the OLD COVENANT.

But, don't you find it strange that God did not command that instruments be used in the New Covenant worship???

Therefore, the only example we have of what is expected in the way of music in the New Testament WORSHIP is in (Ephesians 5:19)- where we are ONLY commanded to SING & MAKE MELODY in our hearts to the Lord.

This is a case of the - "SILENCE OF THE SCRIPTURES". Since we've NOT been commanded to use instuments in worship under the New Covenant - if we were to ADD instruments - we would be ADDING TO GOD'S WRITTEN WORD - which we have been warned against...

Regarding DIVORCE. Jesus himself gives this commandment in (Matthew 5:31-32) "It has been said Whosoever shall put away his wife let him give her a writing of divorcement. But Jesus said, "But I say to you, that whosoever shall put away his wife, save for the cause of FORNICATION, causeth her to commit adultry; and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery".

It doesn't matter how DIVORCE WAS HANDLED IN THE OLD TESTAMENT!!!

We are no longer under the OLD LAW (OLD COVENANT)!!!

THE ONLY REASON CHRIST GAVE FOR DIVORCE IN THE NEW COVENANT IS - FORNICATION...

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#206 Nov 15, 2013
Older and Wiser wrote:
<quoted text>
Daniel Sommer died 3 years before you were born but have you ever heard of him?

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#207 Nov 15, 2013
"Therefore, the only example we have of what is expected in the way of music in the New Testament WORSHIP is in (Ephesians 5:19)- where we are ONLY commanded to SING & MAKE MELODY in our hearts to the Lord.

This is a case of the - "SILENCE OF THE SCRIPTURES". Since we've NOT been commanded to use instuments in worship under the New Covenant - if we were to ADD instruments - we would be ADDING TO GOD'S WRITTEN WORD - which we have been warned against..."

Musical instruments were not used during Christian worship in the early centuries and their hymns, written exclusively for the human voice, still exist. Why is it that the Church of Christ ignores these hymns and uses instead those written by Baptists, Methodists, Lutherans, Presbyterians, Anglicans and even Catholics which are meant to be accompanied by musical instruments?
William

Birmingham, AL

#208 Nov 15, 2013
"Christ WILL NEVER TAKE AWAY OUR SALVATION!!! But, we can REJECT CHRIST & OUR SALVATION - BY GOING BACK OUT INTO A LIFE OF SIN!"

You "went back into sin" when you sinned and didn't ask for forgiveness for it before you died, in that example.

Aren't you worried that God isn't going to accept your righteousness, and your ability to stop sinning while in your fleshly body?

Your flesh is no good to begin with, according to the Bible. How can you ever hope to "clean it up" so that what you do in it will be acceptable to God?
William

Birmingham, AL

#209 Nov 15, 2013
"We are no longer under the OLD LAW (OLD COVENANT)!!!"

Were we ever under it to begin with?

The Ephesians gentiles weren't, according to chapter 2 and 3.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bassett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
thomas jefferson edwards (Apr '16) Oct '16 NUKS67 3
THE CHILDREN of THE GOD MOST HIGH (May '14) Oct '16 randy 5
Martinsville Seven - The Martinsville Curse (Mar '10) Oct '16 Santiago Ramey 10
Nickname of Stick Oct '16 A friend 1
Easter Auto Sales (Feb '12) Oct '16 donnawyattreed 9
Dawn Mills Oct '16 Alan Nolan 1
Worship vs Service (Sep '10) Oct '16 Openbook7 7

Bassett Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance