Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
Fist of all, Jesus started 1 Church. It has to be the CC because it was the only one for 1520.
Where does it say in the Bible, other than the Apocalypse of John, that it is the word of God?
It doesn't. The Church decided it. Couldn't be a Protestant Church. That heresy was 1.5 millennium away.
The apostles wrote down the words inspired by the Holy Spirit through the entire New Testament. I'm sorry you do not understand this.
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Answering Catholics wrote:
<quoted text>
The apostles wrote down the words inspired by the Holy Spirit through the entire New Testament. I'm sorry you do not understand this.
You are so ignorant of Christian and Bible history. But hey, who says you have to stay that way.

Your Daddy and Mommy might get mad at you if you learn the truth. Once day you might be a man and learn it.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
So your answer in plain english is there isn't one.
Go ask your pope or priest what God told those prophets that thought they were all alone and no one believed in God. That will answer your thought that the church of Christ did not exist until some man made it do so.:)
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

JustChristian wrote:
<quoted text>
Go ask your pope or priest what God told those prophets that thought they were all alone and no one believed in God. That will answer your thought that the church of Christ did not exist until some man made it do so:)
So you keep responding that there is no person in history before the 18. century that believes exactly like you believe today.

Show me one. I want to read what he wrote and what he believed and how he worshiped.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
So you keep responding that there is no person in history before the 18. century that believes exactly like you believe today.
Show me one. I want to read what he wrote and what he believed and how he worshiped.
Christ believed like I do and all of the apostles just no catholics were at that time or believed as the early church did. Just name one Catholic that followed the instructions of the bible.... words of Christ in the first century.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

JustChristian wrote:
<quoted text>Christ believed like I do and all of the apostles just no catholics were at that time or believed as the early church did. Just name one Catholic that followed the instructions of the bible.... words of Christ in the first century.
In your own little world aren't you? Why don't you go to a Baptist Church some Sunday morning at 11:00. Take a good look around, pick up the hymnal and look through it, stand up and sit down when everyone else does, look closely at the Welchs if they happen to be having Communion, look at your watch during the sermon, wait for some unsaved soul to come forward at the end then think to yourself, "Well hell, this is just like what we do at the CofC except they've got a piano!"

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
In your own little world aren't you? Why don't you go to a Baptist Church some Sunday morning at 11:00. Take a good look around, pick up the hymnal and look through it, stand up and sit down when everyone else does, look closely at the Welchs if they happen to be having Communion, look at your watch during the sermon, wait for some unsaved soul to come forward at the end then think to yourself, "Well hell, this is just like what we do at the CofC except they've got a piano!"
Been there my wife was Baptist nope its not the same there are simular things just as there are in most groups but not the same.
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

JustChristian wrote:
<quoted text>Christ believed like I do and all of the apostles just no catholics were at that time or believed as the early church did. Just name one Catholic that followed the instructions of the bible.... words of Christ in the first century.
Water almost came out through my nose on this one.

So you believe the Church was built on Peter, that to gain eternal life you have have to eat the body of Jesus and drink his blood, that you should bring the children to him and not keep them pagan and that you believe that your pastor is a successor to the Apostles and that you must confess your sins to one another.

Well every Christian from AD 32 to 1520 was Catholic so there are billions to pick from, but I will got to the top.

The Apostles and the 5 Popes of the 1st Century.

St. Peter (32-67)
St. Linus (67-76)
St. Anacletus (Cletus)(76-88)
St. Clement I (88-97)
St. Evaristus (97-105)

I can give you some quotes from each if you want but I will just give one form St Clement on Apostolic Succession.

Through Our Lord Jesus Christ our Apostles knew that there would be strife over the office of episcopacy. Accordingly, since they had obtained a perfect foreknowledge of this, they appointed those men already mentioned. And they afterwards gave instructions that when those men would fall asleep, other approved men should succeed them in their ministry. Therefore, we are of the opinion that those appointed by the Apostles, or afterwards by other acclaimed men, with the consent of the whole church, and who have blamelessly served the flock of Christ in a humble, peaceable, and disinterested spirit, and have for a long time possessed the good opinion of all, cannot be justly dismissed from the ministry." St. Clement Of Rome, "The Epistle Of Clement To The Corinthians," c. 96 A.D.

I feel kind of sorry for you that your Theological History started 30 years after America was a country.

But I am over it.

Please name me 1 man from 32 AD to 1800. Just 1 who believes like you.
Barnsweb

Louisville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Seems like beating a dead horse to make issue of practices outside canon directive/command, and the inference is extremely weak - but if it suits the CoC AND Baptist, or any number of Denominations - that isn't the issue - unless they teach they are saved by their inferred commandments to practice worship with a set formula that saves them;-)

How about getting back to what Scripture is?

'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God'

Who makes distinction to see if God said something or if Paul or Balaam said something? How far should we take this word from Jesus? I can think of no better way to distinguish what we believe than to have some sort of order of authority based on the speakers authority. Why not?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

JustChristian wrote:
<quoted text>Been there my wife was Baptist nope its not the same there are simular things just as there are in most groups but not the same.
Bull Sh*t I don't know who you think you're kidding. The Church of Christ and Baptist Church are like two peas in the liturgical pod. Same order of worship, same water tanks, same hymns, same pulpits and preaching, same little cups of Welchs, same Sunday and Wednesday night services. You will not find anything remotely like these in the Episcopal, Lutheran, Presbyterian denominations which are much older prots than Baptists and their CofC spawn.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
Water almost came out through my nose on this one.
So you believe the Church was built on Peter, that to gain eternal life you have have to eat the body of Jesus and drink his blood, that you should bring the children to him and not keep them pagan and that you believe that your pastor is a successor to the Apostles and that you must confess your sins to one another.
Well every Christian from AD 32 to 1520 was Catholic so there are billions to pick from, but I will got to the top.
The Apostles and the 5 Popes of the 1st Century.
St. Peter (32-67)
St. Linus (67-76)
St. Anacletus (Cletus)(76-88)
St. Clement I (88-97)
St. Evaristus (97-105)
I can give you some quotes from each if you want but I will just give one form St Clement on Apostolic Succession.
Through Our Lord Jesus Christ our Apostles knew that there would be strife over the office of episcopacy. Accordingly, since they had obtained a perfect foreknowledge of this, they appointed those men already mentioned. And they afterwards gave instructions that when those men would fall asleep, other approved men should succeed them in their ministry. Therefore, we are of the opinion that those appointed by the Apostles, or afterwards by other acclaimed men, with the consent of the whole church, and who have blamelessly served the flock of Christ in a humble, peaceable, and disinterested spirit, and have for a long time possessed the good opinion of all, cannot be justly dismissed from the ministry." St. Clement Of Rome, "The Epistle Of Clement To The Corinthians," c. 96 A.D.
I feel kind of sorry for you that your Theological History started 30 years after America was a country.
But I am over it.
Please name me 1 man from 32 AD to 1800. Just 1 who believes like you.
What cracks me up is that these folks accept infallible teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and don't even realize it! They even order their daily lives by the decisions of Popes!
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Barnsweb wrote:
Seems like beating a dead horse to make issue of practices outside canon directive/command, and the inference is extremely weak - but if it suits the CoC AND Baptist, or any number of Denominations - that isn't the issue - unless they teach they are saved by their inferred commandments to practice worship with a set formula that saves them;-)
'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God'
Who makes distinction to see if God said something or if Paul or Balaam said something? How far should we take this word from Jesus? I can think of no better way to distinguish what we believe than to have some sort of order of authority based on the speakers authority. Why not?
Just go get circumcised if you haven't been already and become a jeweler, lawyer, doctor or Rabbi.

Don't be half Jew and half Protestant.

Maybe half Protestant is better than whole though.
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Barnsweb wrote:
It is a great waste of time to quote scripture to, or hear scripture from, anybody who believes in SS.

Sola Scriptura has morphed as everyone knows, to what an individual believes themselves.

The Bible is no more the word of God to a Protestant, than the Constitution is to a bleeding heart liberal.

There is no respect of the Bible. It is just a tool used by Protestants to continue to divide the Kingdom of God.

Thank you Jesus, that they have now turned on themselves and will devour this heresy in the next couple of generations.

The grandchildren of you COC's , Bible Churchers and all Protestants, will not be able to imagine why you believe what you believe today, just like you don't believe like your great granddad or granddad did.

We pray to you, our Lord Jesus Christ, for the healing of your body, the church. And that our Protestant and Orthodox brethren will be re-united with us in the Holy Catholic Church. We hope and pray for the fulfillment of your own prayer: "My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as You are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one." (John 17:20-22)

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

You and the other CAT sure give the bible litter regard except when it benefits you. I wished I could have posted today but sleep was backing its call. Preparing for work now but will try to post more Friday.
Roman Catholic Sproul

Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Speaking of canons you claim Catholics created them but it has been pointed out many times that Greek Orthodox, Coptic, Syria, Armenia, Georgia, Egypt and Ethiopia all have minor differences. They were just as much from the beginning as Catholics so why is their canon not the true canon? No the claim by Catholics they created the bible is a false claim.BTW another priest was arrested today if yo have been following the news. They also charged the bishop this time with covering it up.
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Roman Catholic Sproul wrote:
Speaking of canons you claim Catholics created them but it has been pointed out many times that Greek Orthodox, Coptic, Syria, Armenia, Georgia, Egypt and Ethiopia all have minor differences. They were just as much from the beginning as Catholics so why is their canon not the true canon? No the claim by Catholics they created the bible is a false claim.BTW another priest was arrested today if yo have been following the news. They also charged the bishop this time with covering it up.
That's what happened to the Orthodox when they left the Church and had no authority. They split up and have differences.

You left some others out too.

SEXUAL ABUSE: Youth Pastor Arrested
Posted on: 12:26 pm, September 09, 2013, by Kelly Maricle and Jannay Towne, updated on: 05:29pm, September 09, 2013
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Answering Catholics wrote:
You and the other CAT sure give the bible litter regard except when it benefits you. I wished I could have posted today but sleep was backing its call. Preparing for work now but will try to post more Friday.
That is a dumb statement. The Bible benefits everyone if they are taught what it means.

Once again, your personal opinion means nothing.
Roman Catholic Sproul

Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

Judged:

Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what happened to the Orthodox when they left the Church and had no authority. They split up and have differences.
They never left the church. Neither did the others. They remained the same. It was for hundreds of years they were not under Rome and they still are not under Rome. Rome left the church. This is the news I was referring to.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/12/federal-...
Dave P

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2013

MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
What cracks me up is that these folks accept infallible teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and don't even realize it! They even order their daily lives by the decisions of Popes!
Share with the group what infallible teachings of the RCC they accept and follow; and how they order their lives around decisions of popes. They may be surprised.
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
Share with the group what infallible teachings of the RCC they accept and follow; and how they order their lives around decisions of popes. They may be surprised.
1. Christianity
2. Bible

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 121 - 140 of364
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Bassett Discussions

Search the Bassett Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Peter was not a Pope 10 min Bobby 70
Sola Scriptura (Jun '13) 14 min Bobby 75
Chosen by God 23 min Bobby 39
Origin of the Roman Catholic Church 30 min Bobby 31
Catholic Priest cannot forgive sins 38 min Bobby 12
Transubstantiation is a Catholic lie 2 hr Mike_Peterson 20
The Catholic church is not the pillar and groun... 3 hr Mike_Peterson 20
•••
•••