The Canon of Scripture
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#87 Sep 8, 2013
Annoying Proxy wrote:
<quoted text>Yes it can be researched on line. Is this link telling us the same story that you are?
http://www.christianity-guide.com/christianit...
You can go to the Vatican and read the originals if you know Latin or search Vatican.va. 2000 years of documents. Most valuable collection int world.

Christianity Guide????? Humorous.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#88 Sep 8, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
You can go to the Vatican and read the originals if you know Latin or search Vatican.va. 2000 years of documents. Most valuable collection int world.
It's an anonymous cult site like all the rest that creep cites. Cracks me up!
Annoying Proxy

Manassas, VA

#89 Sep 8, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
What is really humorous is your lack of an answer. Reaffirm was just a play on words by the king of deceptions , the Catholic church. What they did was affirm those books for the first time. But since changing a closed canon is a no no, we will just say we reaffirmed it. My question still stands.
Annoying Proxy

Manassas, VA

#90 Sep 8, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
It's an anonymous cult site like all the rest that creep cites. Cracks me up!
Why did you guys start this thread if you weren't going to answer any questions? It was the OP first post ,it may have been one of you two. What made me think that was the picture. It is how I imagine how that Mark looks when he wakes up after a Saturday night binge at the bars. I imagine he wakes up with his toupee glued to his chin by his snot and slobbers instead of on the top of his head where it should be.
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#91 Sep 8, 2013
Annoying Proxy wrote:
<quoted text>Why did you guys start this thread if you weren't going to answer any questions? It was the OP first post ,it may have been one of you two. What made me think that was the picture. It is how I imagine how that Mark looks when he wakes up after a Saturday night binge at the bars. I imagine he wakes up with his toupee glued to his chin by his snot and slobbers instead of on the top of his head where it should be.
I already quoted from the Council of Rome. 2000 years with the same canon from that Council.

The same NT canon you agree with. The Church wrote it and put the canon together.

Annoying Proxy

Manassas, VA

#92 Sep 8, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
I already quoted from the Council of Rome. 2000 years with the same canon from that Council.
The same NT canon you agree with. The Church wrote it and put the canon together.
Still a dodge. What does the link say?
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#93 Sep 9, 2013
Annoying Proxy wrote:
<quoted text>Still a dodge. What does the link say?
I minored in history in college. It was a secular college. The history of western civilization, the history of Christianity and the Bible and history of religions.

That and Sola Scriptura converted me.

That link is garbage. Like all Protestant beliefs, half truths or less.

Give me PO Box, I will send you multiple history books. You can learn something.
Anonymous Proxy

France

#94 Sep 9, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
I minored in history in college. It was a secular college. The history of western civilization, the history of Christianity and the Bible and history of religions.
That and Sola Scriptura converted me.
That link is garbage. Like all Protestant beliefs, half truths or less.
Give me PO Box, I will send you multiple history books. You can learn something.
A problem with Catholics and the truth is they cannot say what is truth if it goes against the church. You should be able to prove that link wrong if for no other reason than to defend your faith and still be on safe ground in the church. In our lifetime we have seen this church cover up and deny their scandals because of their wealth in part but to a larger degree heir ability to instill eternal fear into their members. Any Catholic by doing nothing in regards to false teachings and actions of the church has taken part in their deceptions. There are many things in the history of the Catholic church that show they are flesh and their actions are those of man, regardless of being Protestant or Catholic. Perhaps this is why our Savior revealed to us that Peter would deny the Lord three times. Can you overcome your fear for one second to look at the contradiction of what the Catholic church teaches and what the bible tells us? They teach Peter is the Pope and that means the married Pope denied Christ three times. I do not think anyone can deny that can they? If that Pope is not infallible then why would any of the rest be? And history has proven they were not, yet you lose your soul for saying that. People look at the ugly side of church history and compare that with the churches false claims of being superior and want nothing to do with them. Can you actually blame them?
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#95 Sep 9, 2013
Anonymous Proxy wrote:
<quoted text>A problem with Catholics and the truth is they cannot say what is truth if it goes against the church. You should be able to prove that link wrong if for no other reason than to defend your faith and still be on safe ground in the church. In our lifetime we have seen this church cover up and deny their scandals because of their wealth in part but to a larger degree heir ability to instill eternal fear into their members. Any Catholic by doing nothing in regards to false teachings and actions of the church has taken part in their deceptions. There are many things in the history of the Catholic church that show they are flesh and their actions are those of man, regardless of being Protestant or Catholic. Perhaps this is why our Savior revealed to us that Peter would deny the Lord three times. Can you overcome your fear for one second to look at the contradiction of what the Catholic church teaches and what the bible tells us? They teach Peter is the Pope and that means the married Pope denied Christ three times. I do not think anyone can deny that can they? If that Pope is not infallible then why would any of the rest be? And history has proven they were not, yet you lose your soul for saying that. People look at the ugly side of church history and compare that with the churches false claims of being superior and want nothing to do with them. Can you actually blame them?
I quoted from the Council of Rome to prove your link wrong You can read "Where we Got the Bible" by Graham a Protestant Calvinist who eventually became a Catholic Bishop. Rev. Graham set out to detail the sins of the Catholic Church and ended converting".

Was Peter wife still alive when he became an Apostle? The Bible does not mention her. I thought if it wasn't in the Bible, it can't be true.

Jesus redeemed Peter after the resurrection.
When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter,*“Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?”* He said to him,“Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” He said to him,“Feed my lambs.”
He then said to him a second time,“Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him,“Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” He said to him,“Tend my sheep.”
He said to him the third time,“Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time,“Do you love me?” and he said to him,“Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.”[Jesus] said to him,“Feed my sheep.i
* Amen, amen, I say to you,j when you were younger, you used to dress yourself and go where you wanted; but when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.”
He said this signifying by what kind of death he would glorify God. And when he had said this, he said to him,“Follow me.”

Only to Peter he said these things.

If the Pope and Councils are not infallible in their teachings, then what is.

It can't be the Bible. Protestantism has proven this.
Brian

Axton, VA

#96 Sep 9, 2013
Hey Annoying Proxy, Peterson said he minored in history in college so I guess that means he is always right and you always wrong. I wonder if all people who minored in history in college will agree with Peterson?
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#97 Sep 9, 2013
Brian wrote:
Hey Annoying Proxy, Peterson said he minored in history in college so I guess that means he is always right and you always wrong. I wonder if all people who minored in history in college will agree with Peterson?
I am not always right. I do know history proves Protestantism wrong.

The only argument a non Catholic can have is that Jesus created a Church that failed, like the original Protesters said.

Anybody with any historical sense, knows the CC was the only Church for 1520 years. There is no evidence of any Protestants.

Anybody with any historical sense, knows the CC created the Bible.
Anonymous Proxy

Manassas, VA

#100 Sep 9, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not always right. I do know history proves Protestantism wrong.
The only argument a non Catholic can have is that Jesus created a Church that failed, like the original Protesters said.
Anybody with any historical sense, knows the CC was the only Church for 1520 years. There is no evidence of any Protestants.
Anybody with any historical sense, knows the CC created the Bible.
I have posted links about some Popes and Catholic practices (such as purgatory and selling indulgences) where history has also shown Catholics to be wrong. Even in our present day Catholics scandals have shown them to be wrong to the tune of billions of dollars. Ask any altar boy if Catholics have ever been wrong? Ask the Jews who were gassed while the priests were doing the Nazi sahttp://images.search.yahoo.c om/search/images?_adv_prop=ima ge&fr=aaplw&va=catholi c+nazilute. How about this history?
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#102 Sep 10, 2013
Anonymous Proxy wrote:
<quoted text>I have posted links about some Popes and Catholic practices (such as purgatory and selling indulgences) where history has also shown Catholics to be wrong. Even in our present day Catholics scandals have shown them to be wrong to the tune of billions of dollars. Ask any altar boy if Catholics have ever been wrong? Ask the Jews who were gassed while the priests were doing the Nazi sahttp://images.search.yahoo.c om/search/images?_adv_prop=ima ge&fr=aaplw&va=catholi c+nazilute. How about this history?
So according your analysis then Jesus was wrong. He picked Judas as one of the inner circle.

Jesus must be a fraud. How can somebody follow a man who makes decisions like that.

The Jews were right.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#103 Sep 10, 2013
Anonymous Proxy wrote:
<quoted text>I have posted links about some Popes and Catholic practices (such as purgatory and selling indulgences) where history has also shown Catholics to be wrong. Even in our present day Catholics scandals have shown them to be wrong to the tune of billions of dollars. Ask any altar boy if Catholics have ever been wrong? Ask the Jews who were gassed while the priests were doing the Nazi sahttp://images.search.yahoo.c om/search/images?_adv_prop=ima ge&fr=aaplw&va=catholi c+nazilute. How about this history?
This mediocre POS posts links from cults and professional bashers like RC Sproul over and over and over again and thinks he is doing the Lord's work. He doesn't dare tell us which denomination or cult he's a part of.
Caleb

United States

#104 Sep 10, 2013
I have read the canon argument from the Catholics, that "the Bible alone never reveals its own canon". Thus, how can one believe in the sufficiency of Scripture alone?

Although it be true that the Bible has no actual table of contents nor does it list for us all of the books, this doesn't make the Bible insufficient nor it is a strike against sola scriptura.

I would ask the Catholics, "Do you believe in the "material sufficiency" view of the Bible"? If so, explain how can you hold to the canon argument and to the "material sufficiency" view at the same time.

What about Catholic Tradition? Where is the "canon" of Catholic Tradition? It does not exist. Yet, the Catholic Church argues that Sola Scriptura must have its list of contents - the canon. So, if the concept of Sola Scriptura fails because the Bible doesn't have an infallible list of its own books, then Tradition also fails since it doesn't list its own contents, either. I just love double standards, don't you? Out of one side of their mouth, they insist on something they cannot prove with "Tradition".

I also find it a bit odd that the canon was not "infallibly" defined until the Council of Trent in 1546. That, in itself, seems very out of tune for a Church who claims it to be "THE CHURCH".
Annoying Proxy

Anonymous Proxy

#105 Sep 10, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
This mediocre POS posts links from cults and professional bashers like RC Sproul over and over and over again and thinks he is doing the Lord's work. He doesn't dare tell us which denomination or cult he's a part of.
googoo
http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_y...
William

Birmingham, AL

#106 Sep 10, 2013
This place is like a college football message board.

"Your team sucks!"

"No, YOUR team sucks!"
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#107 Sep 10, 2013
Caleb wrote:
I have read the canon argument from the Catholics, that "the Bible alone never reveals its own canon". Thus, how can one believe in the sufficiency of Scripture alone?
Although it be true that the Bible has no actual table of contents nor does it list for us all of the books, this doesn't make the Bible insufficient nor it is a strike against sola scriptura.
I would ask the Catholics, "Do you believe in the "material sufficiency" view of the Bible"? If so, explain how can you hold to the canon argument and to the "material sufficiency" view at the same time.
What about Catholic Tradition? Where is the "canon" of Catholic Tradition? It does not exist. Yet, the Catholic Church argues that Sola Scriptura must have its list of contents - the canon. So, if the concept of Sola Scriptura fails because the Bible doesn't have an infallible list of its own books, then Tradition also fails since it doesn't list its own contents, either. I just love double standards, don't you? Out of one side of their mouth, they insist on something they cannot prove with "Tradition".
I also find it a bit odd that the canon was not "infallibly" defined until the Council of Trent in 1546. That, in itself, seems very out of tune for a Church who claims it to be "THE CHURCH".
This quote is typical Protestant lack of knowledge otherwise known as ignorance.

The Church has Bible, the CCC, and there is Canon Law.

Check it out.

What do Protestants have ? Nothing but their own thoughts.,,
Caleb

United States

#108 Sep 10, 2013
Typical Catholic answer which is really no answer at all. Nice try though.
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#109 Sep 10, 2013
Caleb wrote:
Typical Catholic answer which is really no answer at all. Nice try though.
No answer at all?

You can find what the Church teaches by the Bible, the Catechism of Catholic Church, and Canon Law.

You claim it doesn't say what tradition is. You lie or you are ignorant.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bassett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pan Handling falls under the First Amendment Jun 20 Pan Handler 1
How many of the 10 commandments have you broken? (Feb '12) Apr '17 William 147
i want to be Christian.can i ? (May '15) Apr '17 Barnsweb 9
Speak Out Bassett Virginia !!!! (Jul '15) Apr '17 Bill 6
My girl Apr '17 Bill 3
Why They Left: Listening to Those Who Have Left... (May '12) Apr '17 James A Farmer 45
Need help finding friend Mar '17 J Collins 1

Bassett Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bassett Mortgages