William

Albertville, AL

#233 Sep 23, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
The line in the 4th century Nicene Creed, "I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins.." could well have its roots in this passage from Hebrews. I will tell you what I know and since this issue is extremely serious don't take my word for it. Since Baptism leaves an indelible mark on the soul it can only be performed once. The Catholic Church accepts valid Baptisms from protestant denominations. Should an individual be unsure or if it cannot be proved a valid baptism was performed then a conditional Baptism is performed with the words, "If you are not baptized..." This is not "re-Baptism" which is impossible.
If someone "falls away" in the Catholic church, can they be renewed again unto repentence?

These verses say that they (I.e., Hebrews, to whom the letter is written) cannot. Hebrews 10 states it again.
William

Albertville, AL

#234 Sep 23, 2013
Hebrews 10:26-27

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#235 Sep 23, 2013
William wrote:
<quoted text>
If someone "falls away" in the Catholic church, can they be renewed again unto repentence?
These verses say that they (I.e., Hebrews, to whom the letter is written) cannot. Hebrews 10 states it again.
Yes, through the Sacrament of Reconciliation but most certainly not by being baptized again. But frankly I've no idea what the hell "renewed again unto repentence (sic)" means and neither do you.
William

Albertville, AL

#236 Sep 23, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, through the Sacrament of Reconciliation but most certainly not by being baptized again. But frankly I've no idea what the hell "renewed again unto repentence (sic)" means and neither do you.
Then I am glad we ain't Hebrews. Like Barnsweb.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#237 Sep 24, 2013
William wrote:
Hebrews 6:4-6
King James Version (KJV)
4 For it is IMPOSSIBLE for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
Now I know that some don't like any so-called "proof-texting" but these verses (written to Hebrews, I might add ... see the title of the letter) tell us that it is IMPOSSIBLE for someone who has fallen away to be renewed again.
And there ain't a denomination anywhere today (including yours) that actually believes these verses.
Not in denomination but I believe these verses.

Location hidden

#238 Sep 24, 2013
JustChristian wrote:
<quoted text>
Not in a denomination? Cracks me up!

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#239 Sep 24, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
Not in a denomination? Cracks me up!
define denomination and we shall see if my group fits that definition. And then you wont be cracked.
William

Birmingham, AL

#240 Sep 24, 2013
JustChristian wrote:
<quoted text>
So do I.

And if I were a Hebrew (i.e., to whom this letter was written) then I would be scared sh*tless to not fall away like it says.

Location hidden

#241 Sep 24, 2013
JustChristian wrote:
<quoted text>define denomination and we shall see if my group fits that definition. And then you wont be cracked.
Does your group share a common name with other groups?
Does your group share a common tradition with other groups?
Does your group share a common identity with other groups?
Does your group share beliefs and practices in common with other groups?
Does your group share a common origin with other groups?
Is your group less than 500 years old?

If the answer to any of these questions is yes then you are in a denomination like it or not. There are about 40,000 prot denominations at present and no doubt yours is one of them.
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#242 Sep 24, 2013
I can narrow it down more.

Is your group the Catholic Church?

If no, you are are in a "denomination".

The CCC calls it non-ecclesial community.
killedjoe

Lindenhurst, NY

#243 Sep 24, 2013
William wrote:
<quoted text>
Then I am glad we ain't Hebrews. Like Barnsweb.
Who are the Hebrews today.
Dave P

Morehead, KY

#244 Sep 24, 2013
JustChristian wrote:
<quoted text>define denomination and we shall see if my group fits that definition. And then you wont be cracked.
The churches of Christ and the Baptists are in a race to see which one is more divided. Denying facts doesn't help coc credibility. The founder wouldn't even be allowed in the coc today!
Dave P

Morehead, KY

#245 Sep 24, 2013
killedjoe wrote:
<quoted text> Who are the Hebrews today.
In the dustbin of history since 70 AD. God destroyed Judaism for a reason.
William

Alexander City, AL

#246 Sep 24, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
I can narrow it down more.
Is your group the Catholic Church?
If no, you are are in a "denomination".
The CCC calls it non-ecclesial community.
Which denomination of the Catholic church to you belong to?
William

Alexander City, AL

#247 Sep 24, 2013
killedjoe wrote:
<quoted text> Who are the Hebrews today.
I've heard from the Catholics, Church of Christ, and a few others that we were all "spiritual Hebrews" belonging to "spiritual Israel" now. That makes me some kind of a priest, supposedly.

At least I have an idea for my annual Halloween character now.
William

Alexander City, AL

#248 Sep 24, 2013
JUDAS PRIEST will be my character. "You Got Another Thing Coming!"
killedjoe

Lindenhurst, NY

#249 Sep 24, 2013
Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
In the dustbin of history since 70 AD. God destroyed Judaism for a reason.
Read your bible after Soleumn died. Israel at war against the jews. This is where the first time ever the word Jew came to be.. Jews came from the nation of Judea, which was what was left when the 10 tribe "disappearred". The term jews came from Judea, judeians, jews. The prophecy said in those days before the end of days, both the house of Israel and the house of Judea will exist. Didn't Jesus say that in these days, you will be hated in my name and in my fathers name. Who are the most hated today.

Location hidden

#250 Sep 24, 2013
William wrote:
<quoted text>
I've heard from the Catholics, Church of Christ, and a few others that we were all "spiritual Hebrews" belonging to "spiritual Israel" now. That makes me some kind of a priest, supposedly.
At least I have an idea for my annual Halloween character now.
You didn't hear it from me. Aren't you a bit old for Trick or Treating? Of course All Hallows Eve is the Catholic vigil of All Saints Day, a Holy Day of Obligation followed by All Souls Day.

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/civ...
William

Baton Rouge, LA

#251 Sep 24, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't hear it from me. Aren't you a bit old for Trick or Treating? Of course All Hallows Eve is the Catholic vigil of All Saints Day, a Holy Day of Obligation followed by All Souls Day.
http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/civ...
It's my annual pre-Festivus party.

Location hidden

#252 Sep 24, 2013
William wrote:
<quoted text>
It's my annual pre-Festivus party.
I've switched to Guy Fawkes Night. LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bassett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
gay marriage in martinsville va 39 min Mike_Peterson 35
Catholics (Feb '14) 10 hr Mike_Peterson 1,661
Have Johnny Robertson and his COC been defeated? (Jan '13) Oct 12 Funny 333
Johnny Robertson (Oct '12) Oct 2 Ernie 124
How can i get a copy of my background check? (Nov '13) Sep 29 Louis Hawkins 3
Indictments issued Sep 26 shannonsmith 1
hottest girl (Jan '14) Sep 26 me fartwhistle 3
Bassett Dating
Find my Match

Bassett Jobs