Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#82 May 22, 2013
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
It is amazing how Mike has unified the rest of us. I completely agree with your assessment above.
'Unity through Diversity'? No one willing to stand up and claim there belief system is the Truth.
William

Sylacauga, AL

#83 May 22, 2013
It's pretty easy to see how Sun Worship became Son Worship when "converting" the pagans. I wonder if they also had any female deities that could similarly be morphed together?:)
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#84 May 22, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
'Unity through Diversity'? No one willing to stand up and claim there belief system is the Truth.
You have unity in diversity within the catholic church or you would be condemning the traditionalist-those who have differing opinions and teaching.

On a different note many catholics are antisemitic and others not. You do not have the unity you claim to have-not even close...
Dave P

Versailles, KY

#85 May 22, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
'Unity through Diversity'? No one willing to stand up and claim there belief system is the Truth.
Belief system? There's part one of your problem.
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#86 May 22, 2013
Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
Belief system? There's part one of your problem.
What you are in is a christian religious community with a belief system based on your personal interpretation of the Bible

or

Are you willing to stand up on this forum and state that the Church you go to has the fullness of the Truth and you think that everybody in the world should become a member of the your church to get to heaven?

If you are not why are you in that community? Is it because you were born into it. That is reason for most people which is normal.

Would you willing to risk losing your family for following the Truth like the Apostles did?
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#87 May 22, 2013
William wrote:
It's pretty easy to see how Sun Worship became Son Worship when "converting" the pagans. I wonder if they also had any female deities that could similarly be morphed together?:)
You accept that the first day of the week is called Sunday because of the letter from Justin Marty. Once again you use a Catholic term in your worship life.

Copy and Paste to get the citations right.

St. Justin is the first Christian writer to call the day Sunday (I Apol., lxvii) in the celebrated passage in which he describes the worship offered by the early Christians on that day to God. The fact that they met together and offered public worship on Sunday necessitated a certain rest from work on that day. However, Tertullian (202) is the first writer who expressly mentions the Sunday rest: "We, however (just as tradition has taught us), on the day of the Lord's Resurrection ought to guard not only against kneeling, but every posture and office of solicitude, deferring even our businesses lest we give any place to the devil" ("De orat.", xxiii; cf. "Ad nation.", I, xiii; "Apolog.", xvi).
William

Sylacauga, AL

#88 May 22, 2013
The first day of the week is called Monday. I don't observe any sabbath-related terminology, since I never was part of it to begin with.
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#89 May 22, 2013
William wrote:
The first day of the week is called Monday. I don't observe any sabbath-related terminology, since I never was part of it to begin with.
Gnostic right? I get some these guys on here mixed up.
Dave P

Versailles, KY

#90 May 22, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
What you are in is a christian religious community with a belief system based on your personal interpretation of the Bible
or
Are you willing to stand up on this forum and state that the Church you go to has the fullness of the Truth and you think that everybody in the world should become a member of the your church to get to heaven?
If you are not why are you in that community? Is it because you were born into it. That is reason for most people which is normal.
Would you willing to risk losing your family for following the Truth like the Apostles did?
For your first point, we all attend a congregation that shares our viewpoints. I would say that none of us attend a place that we absolutely disagree with the teaching there. That's common sense.

Your second point is absolute spiritual pride. There is no organization, including yours, that has the "fullness" of the truth. We are all imperfect people with imperfect understanding. The apostles were also but mere men as well, with imperfections of their own. I want all people to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth. Why should we care WHERE they attend as long as they can find salvation? If everyone out there can be saved without being catholic, then what's the big deal? Or, more worried about recruiting for "our brand"?

That's really what most of the religious world is today-a sales pitch. "Come to our church. We're"...
*The original, one true church
*The oldest *The biggest *More for the kids *Living above sin
*charismatic and exciting *friendly and small and quiet
The list can go on forever.

Mike, we all have to be willing to lose everything for the truth. I am not willing to lose everything for a lie or falsehoods. I wouldn't think of losing anything to convert to catholicism. The apostles didn't give up everything for the "catholic church". They gave up all for Christ's church, and those two are not the same thing Elmer Gantry.
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#91 May 23, 2013
Dave: "For your first point, we all attend a congregation that shares our viewpoints. I would say that none of us attend a place that we absolutely disagree with the teaching there. That's common sense."

Jesus did not teach different Truths (viewpoints). Finding a Church that matches your beliefs is the problem. What good is that if you go to hell if that belief is wrong.

Dave "Your second point is absolute spiritual pride. There is no organization, including yours, that has the "fullness" of the truth"

This statement means that Jesus and his apostles were a failure in their teaching of the Truth and they did not provide a means to hand down the fullness of the Truth. Jesus did not fulfill his promise that the Church is the pillar and foundation of truth and he that would protect that Truth from evil until the end of ages.. He did not say that a book would follow with all the Truth.

Dave: "Why should we care WHERE they attend as long as they can find salvation?"

How does one know whether were you attend you CAN find Salvation.

Dave: The apostles didn't give up everything for the "catholic church".

Everything in the Bible and the History of the Bible points to the Catholic Church.

1.Jesus and the Apostles, who gave up everything, started a Church. The keys were given, it was told by Jesus whoever hears the Church hears him. The Church had the Authority to hold bound and forgive sins.

2.There was only 1 Church for 1500 years.

3 That Church was the Catholic Church.

4. The Apostles gave up everything for the Catholic
Church.

No Bible was ever mentioned until the Catholic Church created it.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#92 May 23, 2013
Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
For your first point, we all attend a congregation that shares our viewpoints. I would say that none of us attend a place that we absolutely disagree with the teaching there. That's common sense.
Your second point is absolute spiritual pride. There is no organization, including yours, that has the "fullness" of the truth. We are all imperfect people with imperfect understanding. The apostles were also but mere men as well, with imperfections of their own. I want all people to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth. Why should we care WHERE they attend as long as they can find salvation? If everyone out there can be saved without being catholic, then what's the big deal? Or, more worried about recruiting for "our brand"?
That's really what most of the religious world is today-a sales pitch. "Come to our church. We're"...
*The original, one true church
*The oldest *The biggest *More for the kids *Living above sin
*charismatic and exciting *friendly and small and quiet
The list can go on forever.
Mike, we all have to be willing to lose everything for the truth. I am not willing to lose everything for a lie or falsehoods. I wouldn't think of losing anything to convert to catholicism. The apostles didn't give up everything for the "catholic church". They gave up all for Christ's church, and those two are not the same thing Elmer Gantry.
The apostles never heard of the catholic church. Of all the names listed in scripture and there is a lot of them God/Jesus never said "I will build my catholic church".

I am going to get in the coc camp here, the best name for the true church is (in my mind) church of Christ. However, different biblical names are equally valid. Since the word catholic means universal, I don't have a problem with that name either. I do have a problem with any church who thinks they alone have truth and we must come to Christ through them...
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#93 May 23, 2013
My above post was intended for Mike in post #91. Sorry
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#94 May 23, 2013
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
The apostles never heard of the catholic church. Of all the names listed in scripture and there is a lot of them God/Jesus never said "I will build my catholic church".
I am going to get in the coc camp here, the best name for the true church is (in my mind) church of Christ. However, different biblical names are equally valid. Since the word catholic means universal, I don't have a problem with that name either. I do have a problem with any church who thinks they alone have truth and we must come to Christ through them...
Catholics believe that the CC is the one true Church of Jesus Christ, firstly, because the CC is the only Christian Church that goes back in history to the time of Christ; secondly, because The CC is the only Christian Church which possesses the invincible unity, the intrinsic holiness, the continual universality and the indisputable apostolicity which Christ said would distinguish His true Church; and thirdly, because the Apostles and primitive Church Fathers, who certainly were members of Christ's true Church, all professed membership in this same Catholic Church (See Apostles' Creed and the Primitive Christian letters). Wrote Ignatius of Antioch, illustrious Church Father of the first century:``Where the Bishop is, there let the multitude of believers be; even as where Jesus is, there is the Catholic Church.'' Our Lord said:``There shall be one fold and one shepherd, yet it is well known that the various Christian denominations cannot agree on what Christ actually taught. Since Christ roundly condemned interdenominationalism (``And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand.'' Mark 3:25), Catholics cannot believe that He would ever sanction it in His Church.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#95 May 23, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholics believe that the CC is the one true Church of Jesus Christ, firstly, because the CC is the only Christian Church that goes back in history to the time of Christ; secondly, because The CC is the only Christian Church which possesses the invincible unity, the intrinsic holiness, the continual universality and the indisputable apostolicity which Christ said would distinguish His true Church; and thirdly, because the Apostles and primitive Church Fathers, who certainly were members of Christ's true Church, all professed membership in this same Catholic Church (See Apostles' Creed and the Primitive Christian letters). Wrote Ignatius of Antioch, illustrious Church Father of the first century:``Where the Bishop is, there let the multitude of believers be; even as where Jesus is, there is the Catholic Church.'' Our Lord said:``There shall be one fold and one shepherd, yet it is well known that the various Christian denominations cannot agree on what Christ actually taught. Since Christ roundly condemned interdenominationalism (``And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand.'' Mark 3:25), Catholics cannot believe that He would ever sanction it in His Church.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/22/pope...
William

Birmingham, AL

#96 May 23, 2013
Gnostic atheists.
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#97 May 23, 2013
Bobby wrote:
Bobby: I would have thought that you believed Jesus died for all of us. I guess you go tiptoeing through the TULIPs.

“The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone!‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class! We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all! And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: we need that so much. We must meet one another doing good.‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good: we will meet one another there.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#98 May 23, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
Bobby: I would have thought that you believed Jesus died for all of us. I guess you go tiptoeing through the TULIPs.
“The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone!‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class! We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all! And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: we need that so much. We must meet one another doing good.‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good: we will meet one another there.
I don't think you have been saying this in the past, but if you did it is contrary to the word of God.

Am I now your brother in Christ. From my vantage point, I have my doubts-just saying...
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#99 May 23, 2013
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think you have been saying this in the past, but if you did it is contrary to the word of God.
Am I now your brother in Christ. From my vantage point, I have my doubts-just saying...
Sure I have. And if you have been baptized you are I are brothers in Christ

It is not contrary to word of God. Jesus and Apostles deposited all of Gods word into his Church. It is the pillar and foundation of Truth.

The Pope even said you were redeemed by Christ.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#100 Jun 3, 2013
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#101 Jun 3, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure I have. And if you have been baptized you are I are brothers in Christ
It is not contrary to word of God. Jesus and Apostles deposited all of Gods word into his Church. It is the pillar and foundation of Truth.
The Pope even said you were redeemed by Christ.
But Mike I was baptized in the church of christ! Were you re-baptized when you became a catholic, if so why? Was it because baptist baptism is invalid?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bassett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Catholics (Feb '14) 7 hr Barnsweb 1,140
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) 16 hr gwsbadass 1,360
How can i get a copy of my background check? (Nov '13) Mon Louis Hawkins 3
Indictments issued Sep 26 shannonsmith 1
hottest girl (Jan '14) Sep 26 me fartwhistle 3
Why are ... Sep 25 satoshi 1
Sola fide? Sep 24 William 77

Bassett Jobs

Bassett People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Bassett News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Bassett

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]