|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
He was probably speaking of Boone's Strawberry Hill wine that costs about $3 down at the liquor store. Or Wild Irish Rose. Dad told my brother that only winos drink that rotgut stuff.
Wild Irish Rose on ice is not bad! Believe it or not I knew a priest who used it for altar wine...a real super no no. It was at the time and maybe still is from Petersburg VA

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
I do think the times of change for the coc are here. Most of my congregation is about your age, and appear to have the same mindset. The old hardliners are gone here. The fear I have now for my brethren is that here they have never gotten past baptism and the Lords Supper. Not very accepting of others either. Meanwhile, nothing else of necessity is preached. The world is leaving us behind, and coc/cc here are stuck in 1985. In Texas and Martinsville they may be stuck in 1955.
Converting people to doctrines isn't the same as converting them to Christ.
I grew up in Martinsville. Chatham Heights Christian Church. Rich Acres Christian Church. County Line Christian Church. Horsepasture Christian Church. Stone Memorial Christian Church. Forest Hill Christian Church in Franklin County. That's why I am now a Roman Catholic!!!
Dave P

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
I grew up in Martinsville. Chatham Heights Christian Church. Rich Acres Christian Church. County Line Christian Church. Horsepasture Christian Church. Stone Memorial Christian Church. Forest Hill Christian Church in Franklin County. That's why I am now a Roman Catholic!!!
Question- what about all these congregations made you decide that Christian churches/coc weren't for you? I do recall you possibly mentioning an abusive coc father. I am always intrigued by reasons people have for choosing one church or group over another. And what sold you on Catholicism?
Dave P

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
Wild Irish Rose on ice is not bad! Believe it or not I knew a priest who used it for altar wine...a real super no no. It was at the time and maybe still is from Petersburg VA
Never tried Wild Irish Rose. Did the Boone's. It was a good date drink if you get the drift. In my drinking days Crown Royal was the beverage of choice. Long time ago now.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
Never tried Wild Irish Rose. Did the Boone's. It was a good date drink if you get the drift. In my drinking days Crown Royal was the beverage of choice. Long time ago now.
Man, you drank the hard stuff. I think about every drinker liked Crown Royal at some point. I never cared much for the hard stuff. Beer was the monkey on my back. Glad I kicked that thing off .. despite certain preachers telling me to go get me a six pack. Iím still debating on whether to publicize that email conversation, especially since Ďthe preacherí denied saying it. I could present the email and the IP address with a map tracked to his very location but he already has denied it- Iím sure he would again. This goes back almost 7 years so maybe he forgot ;-)
Dave P

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

JesusCreed wrote:
<quoted text>
Man, you drank the hard stuff. I think about every drinker liked Crown Royal at some point. I never cared much for the hard stuff. Beer was the monkey on my back. Glad I kicked that thing off .. despite certain preachers telling me to go get me a six pack. Iím still debating on whether to publicize that email conversation, especially since Ďthe preacherí denied saying it. I could present the email and the IP address with a map tracked to his very location but he already has denied it- Iím sure he would again. This goes back almost 7 years so maybe he forgot ;-)
Glad we're both done with it. I don't miss it. Once in a great while I get a tiny urge to get a drink somewhere. For me that urge goes away very quickly. Thankful for that. It took a miscarriage and a visit from a church family that made me see how stupid it was.

As far as that email goes, it's your business and your decision. There are right ways and wrong ways to talk to someone, encourage someone, rebuke someone. To tell a former drinker to go get a six pack seems on the wrong end to me. I don't need to actually see an email to come to that conclusion.
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Judged:

Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
We have a ministry called Theology on Tap. It's for the up to 40 group , I think. It brings to the word of God to the Bar and Grills. A good frosty mug of draft Beer and bible study, or sweet tea for those who prefer that.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
Question- what about all these congregations made you decide that Christian churches/coc weren't for you? I do recall you possibly mentioning an abusive coc father. I am always intrigued by reasons people have for choosing one church or group over another. And what sold you on Catholicism?
What about all these congregations? The big lie: the claim of being the original church found in the New Testament. I discovered there wasn't a shred of evidence to back it up and that what was going on Sunday mornings had not the slightest resemblance to the early Christian Church and could pass for any Baptist church I had ever attended.

In college I had lots of Western Civilization, Art History and Old and New Testament classes. It wasn't long before I discovered there actually was a Church with unbroken and meticulously documented ties to the early Christian Church and it was still in existence. For better or worse with all it's beauty and warts it is without any doubt the Roman Catholic Church. I am particularly interested in the coming of the Church to England in the very earliest centuries of the Christian Era and its history and liturgy prior to Henry VIII. That liturgy is still being used today.
Dave P

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
We have a ministry called Theology on Tap. It's for the up to 40 group , I think. It brings to the word of God to the Bar and Grills. A good frosty mug of draft Beer and bible study, or sweet tea for those who prefer that.
Don't sound bad after a hot day at work. Think I'll stick with sweet tea though :)
Dave P

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
What about all these congregations? The big lie: the claim of being the original church found in the New Testament. I discovered there wasn't a shred of evidence to back it up and that what was going on Sunday mornings had not the slightest resemblance to the early Christian Church and could pass for any Baptist church I had ever attended.
In college I had lots of Western Civilization, Art History and Old and New Testament classes. It wasn't long before I discovered there actually was a Church with unbroken and meticulously documented ties to the early Christian Church and it was still in existence. For better or worse with all it's beauty and warts it is without any doubt the Roman Catholic Church. I am particularly interested in the coming of the Church to England in the very earliest centuries of the Christian Era and its history and liturgy prior to Henry VIII. That liturgy is still being used today.
I agree that churches of Christ have hurt their cause tremendously by claiming to be the one true church from Pentecost. The early Restoration movement leaders would not have considered making such a statement. I would like to know who first started using that line. Anyone with any working knowledge of American religious history knows better.

Anything interesting to note about the church's coming to the British Isles?
Barnsweb

Alliance, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2013

I'm still hearing echoes one CoC preacher who said if you have one sip of beer that you're one sip drunk...

It's almost funny if it weren't so serious - they go so far as to say if Jesus drank alcohol that he didn't qualify to be the Redeemer, so they know he didn't make wine = it was grape juice..
Seems pretty harsh to me, but then God also took back His approval to use instruments.

Nope, it's more than the 'he that believeth and is baptized shall be saved.'
Dave P

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2013

Judged:

Barnsweb wrote:
I'm still hearing echoes one CoC preacher who said if you have one sip of beer that you're one sip drunk...
It's almost funny if it weren't so serious - they go so far as to say if Jesus drank alcohol that he didn't qualify to be the Redeemer, so they know he didn't make wine = it was grape juice..
Seems pretty harsh to me, but then God also took back His approval to use instruments.
Nope, it's more than the 'he that believeth and is baptized shall be saved.'
BW, just went through a lot of this Sunday in the assembly. We were studying John 2, so to have some fun I asked how many thought Jesus turned water into wine, or into grape juice. Nobody answered grape juice. The average person in the pews gets it more than the professionals sometimes I think. I was surprised, having the coc background where it was absolutely grape juice. Refreshing. No pun intended.

As for coc, you are correct. Many times it's Jesus plus something else. Jesus plus no instruments, no alcohol, perfect knowledge of certain doctrine, etc. Should be simple- "Whatever He tells you to do, do it".

*PS- I lost my taste for alcohol, don't want to go back. I'm teetotaler by choice, it's wrong for me. Not because I think it to be sin for all. I don't.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2013

Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that churches of Christ have hurt their cause tremendously by claiming to be the one true church from Pentecost. The early Restoration movement leaders would not have considered making such a statement. I would like to know who first started using that line. Anyone with any working knowledge of American religious history knows better.
Anything interesting to note about the church's coming to the British Isles?
I've been fortunate to have visited England and Scotland five times...on vacation. Here it's difficult to conceive of 1,000 years when we can hardly find a building more than a couple hundred years old. Even our "old" places like Williamsburg are mostly fake reconstructions. England was a Catholic country. The great and ancient cathedrals like Canterbury, Salisbury, Durham and York Minster were all built by the Catholic Church. Small stone village churches abound...all built by Catholics. What is amazing is how many survived Henry VIII and Cromwell. What is sad is what was lost to their frenzy. Among the ruins left by those two are my favorites, Rievaulx Abbey and Glastonbury Abbey.
King Creole

Bellefonte, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2013

Anyone know if the Robertson shows are available online live? They used to be on ustream, but now that seems to be off air. I don't live in the area, and I like to watch it every now and then to see what goofiness they're up to.
Barnsweb

Alliance, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
BW, just went through a lot of this Sunday in the assembly. We were studying John 2, so to have some fun I asked how many thought Jesus turned water into wine, or into grape juice. Nobody answered grape juice. The average person in the pews gets it more than the professionals sometimes I think. I was surprised, having the coc background where it was absolutely grape juice. Refreshing. No pun intended.
As for coc, you are correct. Many times it's Jesus plus something else. Jesus plus no instruments, no alcohol, perfect knowledge of certain doctrine, etc. Should be simple- "Whatever He tells you to do, do it".
*PS- I lost my taste for alcohol, don't want to go back. I'm teetotaler by choice, it's wrong for me. Not because I think it to be sin for all. I don't.
Good for you! I never had the taste for it to develop a habit, but still get offended at idiot talk that would chance judging God openly. Mary had some good works to tell us there, and we're blessed to have them so we know what she really said on the matter!

So what about the fringling CoCer whose hobby is organs? A Catholic organist is coming to exchange one of his organs for one of mine that he wants - interstate organ transplants?:-) I'll bet Johnny would love that one:-) We might even play some hymns from one of my CoC hymn books:-)
Dave P

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Barnsweb wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for you! I never had the taste for it to develop a habit, but still get offended at idiot talk that would chance judging God openly. Mary had some good works to tell us there, and we're blessed to have them so we know what she really said on the matter!
So what about the fringling CoCer whose hobby is organs? A Catholic organist is coming to exchange one of his organs for one of mine that he wants - interstate organ transplants?:-) I'll bet Johnny would love that one:-) We might even play some hymns from one of my CoC hymn books:-)
Oh BW. You're in it deep now lol. A mix between RCC and COC? How would you "fix" these "errors" BW?

7 Hail Marys and divorcing your first organ?
Jaybird

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

JesusCreed wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude get off this loser place. Im 5 minutes from where you live. Holla
Barnsweb

Alliance, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh BW. You're in it deep now lol. A mix between RCC and COC? How would you "fix" these "errors" BW?
7 Hail Marys and divorcing your first organ?
Too late for the first organ - it was doomed to the dump of fire years ago... but maybe a John 1:9 would work as well as a 'hail Mary'?....:-)
Barnsweb

Alliance, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Ever have the priest tell you to do seven I John 1:9's?
Dave P

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Barnsweb wrote:
<quoted text>
Too late for the first organ - it was doomed to the dump of fire years ago... but maybe a John 1:9 would work as well as a 'hail Mary'?....:-)
So the organ went to the place where the worm dieth not. Better make it ten of 1 John 1:9.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Bassett Discussions

Search the Bassett Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The Origin of the Roman Catholic Church 9 min Barnsweb 21
Infant Baptism 5 hr William 20
Is Roman Catholicism a FALSE GOSPEL 5 hr William 42
Christian Heroes 7 hr Mike_Peterson 92
Roman Catholicism is not Christianity, no matte... 7 hr Bobby 2
Is Jesus your Lord and Savior 9 hr Mike_Peterson 79
study to show yourself approved 11 hr Mike_Peterson 25
•••
•••