First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Since: Jul 12

Oceana, WV

#1 Jun 25, 2013
What is the difference between the "Church of Christ" sect and other Christian sects?
Barnsweb

Canton, OH

#2 Jun 26, 2013
Intended as a question or joke?

1. Typically no instruments.
2. Local leadership - no national headquarters.
3. Focus more on reasoning than feelings.
4. Church modeled after what Paul wrote.
Yolanda Xavier Yodel

Bellefonte, PA

#3 Jun 26, 2013
Actually, there are plenty of other Christian groups that would agree with 2, 3, and 4, so those aren't really differences.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#4 Jun 26, 2013
Awesome_Steve_Monkey wrote:
What is the difference between the "Church of Christ" sect and other Christian sects?
They are all alike. They are all heretical. They are all the result of the opinion of a man and they can't document their history any farther back than yesterday. Next question?
Funny

Martinsville, VA

#5 Jun 26, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
They are all alike. They are all heretical. They are all the result of the opinion of a man and they can't document their history any farther back than yesterday. Next question?
This coming from someone who swears like a sailor.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#6 Jun 26, 2013
Funny wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it is ok for Catholics to swear, but might have to check with the pope on that one.:)
Dave P

Sarasota, FL

#7 Jun 26, 2013
JustChristian wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it is ok for Catholics to swear, but might have to check with the pope on that one.:)
He must think its ok. He also said atheists were redeemed too. Then they all had to come to his defense to explain what he REALLY meant. Fact is the man doesn't even know what redemption is. Language must not matter either, so there goes the morals.

Oceana, WV

#8 Jun 26, 2013
Well - this is what I have observed. Everyone chatting here is very passionate about discussing religion. I tried to change the subject a little, to no avail, you guys really just like talking about religion.

OK, so you all seem very cool, I like hanging around here, so - maybe I should jump into YOUR conversations about religion. I've read some of them - they are very specifically addressing Bible verses and interpretations. I don't study the Bible like you all do - I can't hang with those conversations - I have nothing to add. Certainly there is more to this site than Bible Study.

OK, there is: Johnny Robertson and the CoC. I'm trying to get the gist of these arguments that have been going on for years. This is what I know for sure about a Mr. Robertson - he sure pisses some people off, doesn't he? He is a representative of the CoC, isn't he? He has a show on the local cable channel, yes? I'd be interested to see this show that makes so many people SO angry - but I don't have access - is there a way to watch it online?

So, the issues that are discussed here are the differences between sects of Christianity, not different religions. I was only familiar with two sects: Catholic and Protestant. To me, the main difference between those is simply: dogma. I thought Protestant sects were agreeable and worked together - I am surprised that so many people are speaking against this one sect: CoC. Is it the CoC that has upset people, or is it the members of the CoC that are upsetting one another? How could a church be at all united with so much conflict? Is the CoC just one church in Martinsvile or a collection of churches in Henry County or a collection of churches throughout the US? If there is no central headquarters, how do a collection of churches organize?

Why wouldn't a church use musical instruments? I collected all my early music skills in church - it was what I enjoyed most about church.
Dave P

Sarasota, FL

#10 Jun 26, 2013
ASM, you're getting ready to get deep in some negative stuff. Be prepared. Just so you know, I also am coc but am not like this Johnny or Heath characters. Bobby and Barnsweb are former coc.

Personally I enjoyed the change of subject from Catholicism. I am on vacation this week so I have been busy.
Dave P

Sarasota, FL

#11 Jun 26, 2013
And not all coc ban instrumental music.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#12 Jun 26, 2013
Funny wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you haven't met many sailors. What I have said is true. Why else are there 30,000 plus prot denominations each with 30,000 plus opinions all started by men and a handful of women?

Oceana, WV

#13 Jun 26, 2013
Dave P wrote:
ASM, you're getting ready to get deep in some negative stuff. Be prepared. Just so you know, I also am coc but am not like this Johnny or Heath characters. Bobby and Barnsweb are former coc.
Personally I enjoyed the change of subject from Catholicism. I am on vacation this week so I have been busy.
I'm very glad to hear from you, Dave, but now that I know you are on vacation - get off of Topix immediately! Take those children to the beach! Don't forget plenty of sunscreen and bottled water - beware of strangers - and go have fun! Topix is for people who don't have fun things to do. However, if you find yourself here anyway: feel free to comment in my "Vacation" discussion I started the other day.

In response to your comments about the CoC - I am curious to know what is fueling all this negativity. I think you're great, so if I'm going to judge CoC by the members I have become acquainted with: the CoC gets the thumbs up from me.

This group is spread out over the US: KY, GA, OH, TX, AL - I'll assume that the CoC can be found in these states. Are the conflicts discussed here specific to the Martinsville CoC or is it an attack on the CoC in general?

Oceana, WV

#14 Jun 26, 2013
Dave P wrote:
And not all coc ban instrumental music.
I am glad to hear this - I can't fathom how any church would conclude that playing music is somehow unrighteous.
Dave P

Sarasota, FL

#15 Jun 26, 2013
Having lots of fun. Day off from beach, wife a burned very badly. Me only slightly. Kids are absolutely water dogs! One more day of beach, shopping, then Friday travel back.

Coc are different everywhere you go. Further north you go, less uptight and legalistic they are.
Yolanda Xavier Yodel

Bellefonte, PA

#16 Jun 26, 2013
The cofC have an unofficial creed called CENI that essentially says that they will only do the things in worship that are commanded in Scripture. And when I say "commanded in Scripture", I mean commanded in the New Testament.

So, there are no commands in the New Testament for the church to worship using musical instruments, therefore they say if you use a guitar or a piano in worship - you're not following commands, and you are sinning, and you are going to hell.

Paradoxically, they ignore the command found multiple times to greet each other with a holy kiss, and they say that they have the right to ignore that command because it was only a tradition.

That's it in a nutshell.

Oceana, WV

#17 Jun 26, 2013
Yolanda Xavier Yodel wrote:
The cofC have an unofficial creed called CENI that essentially says that they will only do the things in worship that are commanded in Scripture. And when I say "commanded in Scripture", I mean commanded in the New Testament.
So, there are no commands in the New Testament for the church to worship using musical instruments, therefore they say if you use a guitar or a piano in worship - you're not following commands, and you are sinning, and you are going to hell.
Paradoxically, they ignore the command found multiple times to greet each other with a holy kiss, and they say that they have the right to ignore that command because it was only a tradition.
That's it in a nutshell.
Thanks for the info, but I find it almost comical. Does the Bible command that you drive a car to church? Does the Bible command that you wear clothes? Does the Bible command that you brush your teeth? I bet tons of CoC followers do all of that.

Are you a supporter of the CoC?

Oceana, WV

#18 Jun 26, 2013
Dave P wrote:
Having lots of fun. Day off from beach, wife a burned very badly. Me only slightly. Kids are absolutely water dogs! One more day of beach, shopping, then Friday travel back.
Coc are different everywhere you go. Further north you go, less uptight and legalistic they are.
How can they be considered the same sect if they follow different rules? Is it just because no one is supervising or stopping anyone from doing anything in the name of this particular sect?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#19 Jun 27, 2013
Awesome_Steve_Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
I am glad to hear this - I can't fathom how any church would conclude that playing music is somehow unrighteous.
What if a person believes it to be wrong to worship God with the instrument?

Oceana, WV

#20 Jun 27, 2013
JustChristian wrote:
<quoted text>
What if a person believes it to be wrong to worship God with the instrument?
Certainly, if a person does not WANT to worship God with an instrument, there is no reason that they should. I know I don't. It's the part where people are taught that NO ONE should worship God with instruments that is surprising.

If this is something that the church DOESN'T do because the Bible DOESN'T tell you to do it - well, doesn't the Bible not mention doing lots of things that people do? Does the CoC forbid followers to do ONLY what the Bibles says? The Bible left out so much stuff. Where does that John Robertson find it in the Bible that he is allowed to preach on TV?

Surely, the Bible doesn't mention chatting online. But look at all the CoC followers who chat right here. It's just an inconsistent idea.

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong - do you all act a certain righteous way IN church but differently away from Church?

Oceana, WV

#21 Jun 27, 2013
mistake: Does the CoC forbid followers to from doing anything that the Bible DOESN'T mention?

Does the CoC ONLY allow followers to do what the Bible DOES say?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bassett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hell is a lie Fri Jesus Saves Everyone 10
Catholics (Feb '14) Fri Mike_Peterson 2,000
“Thus Saith Johnny” (Jul '12) Thu Barnsweb 121
Identifing the Early Church Dec 24 Jesus Saves Everyone 425
How does the Spirit teach? Dec 24 Jesus saves everyone 5
Ferrum man gets 1 year for deadly hunting error (Jul '10) Dec 23 former student 5
Hunter charged in fatal shooting of Ferrum stud... (Apr '10) Dec 23 Dr Wu 19
Bassett Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Bassett People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Bassett News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Bassett

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:35 am PST