William

Birmingham, AL

#22 Oct 5, 2013
"God never made such a command, and Jesus didn't say it was a command either."

A lot of liberties with a lot of things as documented in the Bible have been taken by an awful lot of people down through the centuries to create religions and accompanying doctrines.

There is nothing new under the sun.
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#23 Oct 5, 2013
William wrote:
"Was she dead or did Peter leave her like Jesus said to leave everything and follow him?"
You just proved that Peter had a wife.
Never said he didn't at one time. She either was dead or Peter left her as Jesus commanded.

I would tend to believe she was dead as Marriage is considered a vocation and a Sacrament in the Church
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#24 Oct 5, 2013
William wrote:
"God never made such a command, and Jesus didn't say it was a command either."
A lot of liberties with a lot of things as documented in the Bible have been taken by an awful lot of people down through the centuries to create religions and accompanying doctrines.
There is nothing new under the sun.
You just gave a perfect reason that SS is asinine.
William

Sylacauga, AL

#25 Oct 5, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
You just gave a perfect reason that SS is asinine.
How so? By actually reading the (Catholic) Bible to find the answer to a simple question?

Peter's was married, he had a mother-in-law, and that is just all there is to it.
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#26 Oct 5, 2013
Willim wrote:
1 Corinthians 9:5 King James Version
5 Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas?
or?
1 Corinthians 9:5 Douay-Rheims 1899
5 Have we not power to carry about a woman, a sister, as well as the rest of the apostles, and the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas?
LOL
I guess it really is all about sticking to The Party Line after all.
Of course the Apostles had women traveling with them. Paul was trying to justify to some disgruntles why he had some. We know he was not married.

We know of at least 5 Marys that traveled with them.

The Virgin Mary, mother of Christ
Mary Magdalene. Mary of Bethany, the sister of Martha and Lazarus, Luke 10:38-42 and John 11; In addition, there was Mary, the mother of James and Mary Salome.

There were other women mentioned too. None married to the Apostles. Jesus had told them to leave everything.

The key Greek words in 1 Corinthians 9:5 are "adelphaen gunaika." The first means "sister," and the second can be translated as either "woman" or "wife."

It would make sense for the apostles to be accompanied by "sister women" who could assist them in ministering to women—for example, at full-immersion baptisms, where a question of modesty could arise, or in cases where it would be more appropriate for a woman to perform a charitable or catechetical function.

This finds support in the Fathers. "Sister woman" is found in Jerome’s Vulgate, and Jerome wrote that "It is clear that [they] must not be seen as wives but, as we have said, as women who assisted [the apostles] with their goods" (Ad. Jovinian I, 26).

Clement of Alexandria agreed, saying the women were not the wives of the apostles but were female assistants who could enter the homes of women and could teach them there (Stromata III, 6).
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#27 Oct 5, 2013
Barnsweb wrote:
<quoted text>
Not trying to defend the RCC, but Jesus talked about those who made themselves eunichs for the sake of the kingdom of God - to be wholly devoted to the service of God. I have no issue with it, except they command no marriage for their priests. God never made such a command, and Jesus didn't say it was a command either. That's the real issue in my viewpoint.
It is not an infallible statement that Priest cannot marry. It is a tradition of the Church.

In fact there are married Priests.
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#28 Oct 5, 2013
William wrote:
<quoted text>
How so? By actually reading the (Catholic) Bible to find the answer to a simple question?
Peter's was married, he had a mother-in-law, and that is just all there is to it.
That is your personal interpretation of the verse. Peter was at one point married.

Did Jesus tell him to leave his wife or was she dead. She is personally not mentioned in scripture.
Barnsweb

Canton, OH

#29 Oct 5, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course the Apostles had women traveling with them. Paul was trying to justify to some disgruntles why he had some. We know he was not married.
We know of at least 5 Marys that traveled with them.
The Virgin Mary, mother of Christ
Mary Magdalene. Mary of Bethany, the sister of Martha and Lazarus, Luke 10:38-42 and John 11; In addition, there was Mary, the mother of James and Mary Salome.
There were other women mentioned too. None married to the Apostles. Jesus had told them to leave everything.
The key Greek words in 1 Corinthians 9:5 are "adelphaen gunaika." The first means "sister," and the second can be translated as either "woman" or "wife."
It would make sense for the apostles to be accompanied by "sister women" who could assist them in ministering to women—for example, at full-immersion baptisms, where a question of modesty could arise, or in cases where it would be more appropriate for a woman to perform a charitable or catechetical function.
This finds support in the Fathers. "Sister woman" is found in Jerome’s Vulgate, and Jerome wrote that "It is clear that [they] must not be seen as wives but, as we have said, as women who assisted [the apostles] with their goods" (Ad. Jovinian I, 26).
Clement of Alexandria agreed, saying the women were not the wives of the apostles but were female assistants who could enter the homes of women and could teach them there (Stromata III, 6).
God told Abraham to leave too, but he took his wife with him;-)

'What God has joined together, let not man put asunder.' God would considered Abram and Sarah as one. Jesus, would also have considered Peter and his wife as one. The only 'division' I'm aware of is Israel's coming out of Babylonian captivity when they were told to get rid of the pagan wives so they wouldn't be lead away from doing what God had told them to do.

What is your source/authority that Jesus told Peter to leave his wife?

And Paul loved to play the persecuted scorned heretic and put down the real apostles. What about Jesus and some of the disciples being Essenes and vegetarians - and Paul even made them lessor because they didn't eat meat - let alone having such weak faith as to think it was wrong to eat meat sacrificed to idols. After all, to Paul they were nothing, but according to God, the meat was sacrificed to demons.

Paul was a clueless apostle to the heretics who disbelieved both God, the Son and all the Holy Prophets and real apostles... Sounds like the RCC was busy following after something Paul said when they made up Jesus ordering Peter to leave his wife...
Barnsweb

Canton, OH

#30 Oct 5, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not an infallible statement that Priest cannot marry. It is a tradition of the Church.
In fact there are married Priests.
Do you have some substantiation on that?
William

Birmingham, AL

#31 Oct 5, 2013
"That is your personal interpretation of the verse. Peter was at one point married."

It is not my "personal interpretation". She is recorded as being his wife, and is mentioned in the verses that I posted out of an accepted Catholic version of the Bible, despite you saying earlier that there was no mention of her being found in the scriptures, which she quite clearly is, along with her mother.

It is your own "personal interpretation" that Jesus told Peter to dump her in order to follow him, which cannot be found in the scriptures. He told them to get rid of their possessions and goods, as Barnsweb will no doubt attest to.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#32 Oct 5, 2013
Barnsweb wrote:
<quoted text>
All married men ordained to the Priesthood of the Roman Catholic Church remain married. Prime examples are married Anglican or Episcopal priests who have become Roman Catholic priests. No married priest can be ordained a Bishop and a married Anglican Bishop would be ordained as a priest. Should the wife die the Catholic priest would not be allowed to remarry.
And why the hell should you care anyway?

Location hidden

#33 Oct 5, 2013
William wrote:
"That is your personal interpretation of the verse. Peter was at one point married."
It is not my "personal interpretation". She is recorded as being his wife, and is mentioned in the verses that I posted out of an accepted Catholic version of the Bible, despite you saying earlier that there was no mention of her being found in the scriptures, which she quite clearly is, along with her mother.
It is your own "personal interpretation" that Jesus told Peter to dump her in order to follow him, which cannot be found in the scriptures. He told them to get rid of their possessions and goods, as Barnsweb will no doubt attest to.
The country is falling apart thanks to a Mormon and a Muslim and you're worried about Peter's wife or lack thereof?
William

Sylacauga, AL

#34 Oct 5, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
The country is falling apart thanks to a Mormon and a Muslim and you're worried about Peter's wife or lack thereof?
Nope. Just sticking up for Peter's wife.

Location hidden

#35 Oct 5, 2013
William wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Just sticking up for Peter's wife.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/iwo-jima-...

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/nbc-polic...
William

Eastaboga, AL

#36 Oct 5, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
I know. It is all a ridiculous clownshow. Might drag on for a while. Bunker-mentality is setting in.
Dave P

Wallingford, KY

#37 Oct 5, 2013
Barnsweb wrote:
<quoted text>
M and M are correct. On the news a few days ago heard that the RCC was thinking of revisiting the marriage state of priests again, since it was not an infallible dogma of the church, but rather a tradition.
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#38 Oct 6, 2013
Luke: 5

When they brought their boats to the shore, they left everything and followed him.

Everything means everything to me. How could they take care of their families if they had no job.

Peter was married at one time. Nobody disagrees. Protestants use this all the time that Catholics refuses to let Priests marry yet the Apostle Jesus appointed to build his Church on was married.

What was her name? There is no mention of her in the Bible. Only her mother in law is mentioned

Peter either left his wife or she was dead. You decide which one. I prefer she was dead because Jesus elevated marriage to a Sacrament.
William

Eastaboga, AL

#39 Oct 6, 2013
Sounds to me like they left all their fishing gear and boats. Things that they made a living with. They would be provided for by God. "Consider the birds..."

How any of this got spun by the Catholic church into no marriage and celibacy for priests is a HUGE stretch, and represent nothing more than someone else's own "private interpretation."
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#40 Oct 6, 2013
William wrote:
Sounds to me like they left all their fishing gear and boats. Things that they made a living with. They would be provided for by God. "Consider the birds..."
How any of this got spun by the Catholic church into no marriage and celibacy for priests is a HUGE stretch, and represent nothing more than someone else's own "private interpretation."
Left their fish gear and boats??? SS rides again. They left everything but the clothes on their back. He told them let somebody else bury their dead.

You know Jesus preached from Peters boat often. He still had it, but he was to become fishers of men.

The Church is often called the Barque Peter.

I think the fact that Jesus never married or any of the other Apostles and Paul highly recommended it was bigger reason for celibacy.
William

Eastaboga, AL

#41 Oct 6, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
Left their fish gear and boats??? SS rides again. They left everything but the clothes on their back. He told them let somebody else bury their dead.
You know Jesus preached from Peters boat often. He still had it, but he was to become fishers of men.
The Church is often called the Barque Peter.
I think the fact that Jesus never married or any of the other Apostles and Paul highly recommended it was bigger reason for celibacy.
Still, there is nothing about dumping wives. To add that into what he told those particular men is nothing more than an opinion that isn't supported anywhere. It would fail a test in a court of secular law.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bassett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dr.joel smithers (Sep '16) Sep '17 Lurliec 5
Speak Out Bassett Virginia !!!! (Jul '15) Apr '17 Bill 6
My girl (Jan '17) Apr '17 Bill 3
Terry or Susan Walker (Nov '10) May '15 vatechalltheway 16
Lee Gilley shooting.... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Penultimate 2
News Charges advance (Aug '10) Jan '15 miss cleveland 3
News Beware of online romance lies (Sep '10) Dec '14 ss4twentynine 2

Bassett Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance