Comments
21 - 26 of 26 Comments Last updated May 20, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dave P

Morehead, KY

#22 May 13, 2013
I see the actual "tithe" as a part of the Levitical system that has been fulfilled in Christ, and what we have left is free will offerings from the heart, not out of compulsion. If anyone has a different view, please respond so we can have a dialog.

Another thought about tithing: if those that preach the gospel should live from the gospel (I do believe this), should they give back into the system that pays them? Or should their money go into some other ministry or purpose? In theory, you could be getting back what you put in offerings.

*The OT Levites would go back to their fields and work when the tithes were not being given. Many of our "Levites" today never go into the fields at all. And the "real priesthood" gets fat from the offerings of the Levites. Brothers, this ought not be so.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#23 May 13, 2013
Dave P wrote:
I see the actual "tithe" as a part of the Levitical system that has been fulfilled in Christ, and what we have left is free will offerings from the heart, not out of compulsion. If anyone has a different view, please respond so we can have a dialog.
Another thought about tithing: if those that preach the gospel should live from the gospel (I do believe this), should they give back into the system that pays them? Or should their money go into some other ministry or purpose? In theory, you could be getting back what you put in offerings.
*The OT Levites would go back to their fields and work when the tithes were not being given. Many of our "Levites" today never go into the fields at all. And the "real priesthood" gets fat from the offerings of the Levites. Brothers, this ought not be so.
I agree.

Finances is one of my strengths. I have taught classes on this even when I was in the coc.

Most of the time the problem is not having enough money, it is how we manage our money. Temptation to buy things we either don't need or on something that can wait. We live in a me generation that has to have their desires met right now.

A good rule of thumb is to give to the church first, then pay your self (save) then learn to live on what is left. It does not always work but it is a good place to review your situation. Stop foolish spending and learn to live on what you have.

Dave Ramsey has an excellent teaching on this, we use his material to teach finance classes in our church. It is called financial peace university. It is affordable and well worth the money. He is a christian and applies christian principles in his teaching.

http://www.daveramsey.com/fpu/home/... |6886|financial%20peace%20univ ersity||S|p|4901617826&gcl id=CPCF4MP1k7cCFUTd4AodbzMAEg
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#24 May 13, 2013
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree.
Finances is one of my strengths. I have taught classes on this even when I was in the coc.
Most of the time the problem is not having enough money, it is how we manage our money. Temptation to buy things we either don't need or on something that can wait. We live in a me generation that has to have their desires met right now.
A good rule of thumb is to give to the church first, then pay your self (save) then learn to live on what is left. It does not always work but it is a good place to review your situation. Stop foolish spending and learn to live on what you have.
Dave Ramsey has an excellent teaching on this, we use his material to teach finance classes in our church. It is called financial peace university. It is affordable and well worth the money. He is a christian and applies christian principles in his teaching.
http://www.daveramsey.com/fpu/home/... |6886|financial%20peace%20univ ersity||S|p|4901617826&gcl id=CPCF4MP1k7cCFUTd4AodbzMAEg
I endorse Dave Ramsey too. I didnt follow all of his suggestions , but he is the reason I am debt free and have the ability to give to the Lord, which is partly the "Church" and the rest to whatever you do for least of them, you do for him.
Dave P

Morehead, KY

#25 May 13, 2013
Dave Ramsey is on radio all over the place. I hear he gives good financial advice. For some reason I don't like his speaking voice, and have a hard time listening to him. Anyway, at times his job is too easy. I hear some of his callers tell about their issues, and even I could give them advice.

Bobby, glad to hear you use your talents for good. Financial advice for believers is something I think should be taught more-stewardship.
Dave P

Versailles, KY

#26 May 20, 2013
Anybody ever notice that in 1 Corinthians 9:14 Paul says that those who preach the gospel should "live from" the gospel?

The word live is actually a verb-but some translations (New American Standard, NIV) translate it as "get or receive their LIVING from the gospel".

Brethren, there's a big difference between living from the gospel and making a living from it. Did God design for people to get wealthy, live high on the hog from preaching? I don't believe so.

Seen a story on Abilene Christian website last night, average preaching salary in 2011 I believe was around $54,000. That's almost double my income from my job per year (skilled machine operator).
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#27 May 20, 2013
Dave P wrote:
Anybody ever notice that in 1 Corinthians 9:14 Paul says that those who preach the gospel should "live from" the gospel?
The word live is actually a verb-but some translations (New American Standard, NIV) translate it as "get or receive their LIVING from the gospel".
Brethren, there's a big difference between living from the gospel and making a living from it. Did God design for people to get wealthy, live high on the hog from preaching? I don't believe so.
Seen a story on Abilene Christian website last night, average preaching salary in 2011 I believe was around $54,000. That's almost double my income from my job per year (skilled machine operator).
I was head of the finance committee in my small Church for a while. All priest in my diocese make $950 a month and the priest assigned to my Parish has 2 Churches. He gets 1 day off a week but is on call.

The Pope makes a 0 salary. Everything is paid for of course. Pope Francis was not a diocesan prist , he was a Priest of an Order. These Priests give all they make to the order and and only own personal items like books, clothes and music etc. They live together.

Pope Benedict retired after 60 years of service at $3200 a month.

People constantly say how rich the Church is, for how large of an organization it is , it is not. The Church is mainly property rich because there are over 300,000 active parishes in the world. There are no rich clergy that earned it from the Church, maybe some family inheritances for some.

You always hear if the Vatican would sell all the art that has been donated and the investments they have made, it will be enough to feed all the hungry the world for one day.

The Vatican has 2 budgets, one for the Church and one for the 'Country' it is considered.

Each one of these budgets are less than the City of Chicago.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bassett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Origin of the Roman Catholic Church 3 hr Bobby 154
Jesus' words only teaching, HRM (Sep '13) 8 hr Bobby 67
Why do we go to church? 13 hr Barnsweb 11
Is baptism essential to salvation (Nov '10) 22 hr Eyeseaewe 266
Catholics (Feb '14) Sun Bobby 869
Signing off ... for now Aug 26 Barnsweb 512
Where did the CoC cowards go? Aug 23 Jimmy Crack Corn 2
•••
•••
•••