Are Protestants Christians ?

Posted in the Bassett Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#1 Aug 26, 2013
This is from a Blogger called Gray Matters.

Those of you who have been following this blog have probably noticed that I frequently interchange the words Christian and Catholic in my posts.

This is not carelessness on my part. It is deliberate. For Catholicism and Christianity are one and the same, and I treat them as interchangeable. Roman Catholicism is the faith founded by Christ, and its teachings are those set forth by Christ. All other types of “Christianity” do not possess the authentic teachings of Christ in fullness – and their followers cannot be considered true Christians.

It is for this reason that I do not consider Protestants true Christians.(There, I said it!)

This is not to say that I believe that Protestants don’t believe in God or Christ. They do, and many Protestants have love and reverence for the person of Christ, and honestly believe that they are doing His will.

But to be a Christian, one must follow the teachings of Christ completely – the actual, full body of Christ's teachings, and not merely a part of them. And Roman Catholics are the only people who follow Christ’s teachings as He set them forth 2000 years ago. Protestants, despite their laudable belief in Christ and in the validity of Scripture, only profess and believe the truth of Christ’s teachings in part, and not in whole.

Christ demands complete allegiance of his followers. He laid out a firm body of teaching for His followers – and He demands that they fully accept the teachings and guidance of the one true Church that He established. And humans are not free to pick and choose which teachings of His we wish to follow. He demands our full and complete love and attention – and will not be satisfied with anything less. Only those who follow Christ's faith - i.e.- Roman Catholics who believe in and practice the teachings of the one true Faith - are worthy of the name Christian.

It is for this reason that Christ states: "Not everyone who calls to me Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matt 7:21) Many who claim to follow Christ – many who even believe that they are following Christ – do not in actuality follow Him. St. Cyprian's famous dictum "Outside the Church there is no salvation" remains just as true today as it was 1700 years ago.

This does not mean that all Protestants are condemned to Hell. But it does mean Protestants cannot truly and completely follow Christ so long as they remain Protestant.

And in that sense, Protestants cannot truly be called Christians.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#2 Aug 26, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
Those of you who have been following this blog have probably noticed that I frequently interchange the words Christian and Catholic in my posts.
This is not carelessness on my part. It is deliberate. For Catholicism and Christianity are one and the same, and I treat them as interchangeable. Roman Catholicism is the faith founded by Christ, and its teachings are those set forth by Christ. All other types of “Christianity” do not possess the authentic teachings of Christ in fullness – and their followers cannot be considered true Christians.
It is for this reason that I do not consider Protestants true Christians.(There, I said it!)
This is not to say that I believe that Protestants don’t believe in God or Christ. They do, and many Protestants have love and reverence for the person of Christ, and honestly believe that they are doing His will.
But to be a Christian, one must follow the teachings of Christ completely – the actual, full body of Christ's teachings, and not merely a part of them. And Roman Catholics are the only people who follow Christ’s teachings as He set them forth 2000 years ago. Protestants, despite their laudable belief in Christ and in the validity of Scripture, only profess and believe the truth of Christ’s teachings in part, and not in whole.
Christ demands complete allegiance of his followers. He laid out a firm body of teaching for His followers – and He demands that they fully accept the teachings and guidance of the one true Church that He established. And humans are not free to pick and choose which teachings of His we wish to follow. He demands our full and complete love and attention – and will not be satisfied with anything less. Only those who follow Christ's faith - i.e.- Roman Catholics who believe in and practice the teachings of the one true Faith - are worthy of the name Christian.
It is for this reason that Christ states: "Not everyone who calls to me Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matt 7:21) Many who claim to follow Christ – many who even believe that they are following Christ – do not in actuality follow Him. St. Cyprian's famous dictum "Outside the Church there is no salvation" remains just as true today as it was 1700 years ago.
This does not mean that all Protestants are condemned to Hell. But it does mean Protestants cannot truly and completely follow Christ so long as they remain Protestant.
Even many protestant denominations don't consider other protestant denominations to be Christians!
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#3 Aug 26, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
In a sense, Catholics teach salvation without the cross because they rely on men and tradition. How can we truly call catholics Christians.

I find it amazing that catholics are no different from any other law keeping group, they rely on their own perfection!
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#4 Aug 26, 2013
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
In a sense, Catholics teach salvation without the cross because they rely on men and tradition. How can we truly call catholics Christians.
I find it amazing that catholics are no different from any other law keeping group, they rely on their own perfection!
Bobby, you have no clue what the Church teaches. You only go by what you have been told by other non Catholic ecclesial community Catholic haters.

The CC has existed for 2000 years. They were the only Christians.

The original Protesters each took part of the Truth to differentiate themselves from each other all using SS to create their arguments.

Then in the 1800's ther was a mass protesting against the original Protestants like the JWs, Mormons, Pentecostals, COCs etc.

Now you have the 1 man Churches, like Bible Churhes, Joe's Ministries etc.

At best you can call all of them pseudo-Christians or maybe "Christian Lite."

In reality, they are all non-Catholic ecclesial communities.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#5 Aug 26, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
Bobby, you have no clue what the Church teaches. You only go by what you have been told by other non Catholic ecclesial community Catholic haters.
The original Protesters each took part of the Truth to differentiate themselves from each other all using SS to create their arguments.
Then in the 1800's ther was a mass protesting against the original Protestants like the JWs, Mormons, Pentecostals, COCs etc.
I am going by what I hear from you and Mark. There has always been a true church but when we hear all of these claims not based on scripture, who are we to believe. However, no one is saved by their affiliation with any church including you. The church is where Jesus adds us-he is the savior of the church. The church can't save a frog! We can share the gospel but it is God who gives the increase.

When Jesus returns for the church, there will be a vast number still sitting in their self-righteous pews playing church.
killedjoe

Lindenhurst, NY

#6 Aug 26, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
CC exist for about 1700 years. The Niceian Council took place at around 356 AD. AD mean in the year of Our Lord. Peter was dead for almost 300 years with elders coming and going thru which they, along with the Roman Caeser Constantine creating the CC. This is why YOU ARE CALLED A ROMAN CATHOLIC. Many roman pagan rituals came into the CC to help folks convert to the CC. Most Christian do not hate the CC. But there are many teaching that the CC does that the book does not agree.The praying to Mary is one of them. And the ascension of Mary into heaven. It is called the Assumption. Why is it called this. It is assumed that Mary never died and was taken to heaven, but yet it is not found in any of the writings. On Aug 15 of each year, if you do not go to Mass on this or any other Sunday, it is a mortal sin. I guess the loving and merciful God hate many people in China and the tribes in the back woods in South America punish these folks for not going to Mass. What happen to the people before Christ. Did they go to hell also. What a great and loving forgiven God we believe in
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#7 Aug 26, 2013
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
I am going by what I hear from you and Mark. There has always been a true church but when we hear all of these claims not based on scripture, who are we to believe. However, no one is saved by their affiliation with any church including you. The church is where Jesus adds us-he is the savior of the church. The church can't save a frog! We can share the gospel but it is God who gives the increase.
When Jesus returns for the church, there will be a vast number still sitting in their self-righteous pews playing church.
Sure they are. How can you receive the Sacraments if you don't are not a member of the Church.

The Church has the power to forgive sins for example. Also to bind and loose.

Your Bible doesn't say that?
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#8 Aug 26, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure they are. How can you receive the Sacraments if you don't are not a member of the Church.
The Church has the power to forgive sins for example. Also to bind and loose.
Your Bible doesn't say that?
This is one of the catholic church major flaws- sacraments have no power to save. If they did we could just get everyone saved by baptizing them. Oops you already do that. Mormons have you beat on that, they baptize for dead people.
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#9 Aug 26, 2013
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
This is one of the catholic church major flaws- sacraments have no power to save. If they did we could just get everyone saved by baptizing them. Oops you already do that. Mormons have you beat on that, they baptize for dead people.
Who taught you the the Sacraments Jesus started have no power?

The first Protesters thought they did.

You got most of you beliefs from the AD 1800s Protesters.

Bobby: Think about it. Jesus died for us 2000 years ago and the stuff you believe is only 200 years old.

Much of what you believe is heresy.

And you talk about man-made beliefs.

How old is your Bible Church , 10 years old?

Location hidden

#10 Aug 26, 2013
I know what the CofC thinks of Baptists.
I know what Baptists think of Pentecostals.
I know what Primitive Baptists think of the CofC.
I know Episcopalians, Presbyterians, Methodists and Lutherans could care less about low end protestants.

I know what they all think of Catholics.
I know what I think about the CofC, the Baptist Church and Pentecostals.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#11 Aug 26, 2013
Speaking of Heresy, the scripture does not give any authority for theses issues:

In the Bible there are no popes or priests to rule over the church.

No worship of Mary, or anyone other that the Godhead.

No purgatory.

catholics created the Mass, which they believe to be a continual sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

No image worship, but catholics do it anyway.

No infant baptism but so what catholics don't read the bible.

Catholic church has developed a system of salvation through works thus denying grace.

touché
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#12 Aug 26, 2013
Btw, I disagree everything Mike and mark have to say even if they say the sky is blue haha-I am still laughing:-)

Location hidden

#13 Aug 26, 2013
Bobby wrote:
Speaking of Heresy, the scripture does not give any authority for theses issues:
No purgatory.
catholics created the Mass, which they believe to be a continual sacrifice of Jesus Christ.
Catholic church has developed a system of salvation through works thus denying grace.
touché
You don't even know the history of the church in which you say you spent 25 years. Why would anyone believe you about the Catholic Church or anything else for that matter?
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#14 Aug 26, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't even know the history of the church in which you say you spent 25 years. Why would anyone believe you about the Catholic Church or anything else for that matter?
Is that the best answer you can come up with? Give me scriptural answers why you practice these things not found in the bible. If you actually created the bible, why don't you use it???

No purgatory.

Location hidden

#15 Aug 26, 2013
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that the best answer you can come up with? Give me scriptural answers why you practice these things not found in the bible. If you actually created the bible, why don't you use it???
No purgatory.
Why would I take the time to give an idiot like you anything???? You have already called me a liar today after I posted the truth about your Commander in Chief Alexander Campbell with whom you spent 25 years.
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#16 Aug 26, 2013
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
No purgatory.
Print this out for you visitors

Once again typical Protestant Bible "study."

The Bible means this.
No it doesnt
Yes it does.
No it doesnt
Yes it does.
No it doesnt

Sola Scriptura presents "Protestantism"
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#17 Aug 26, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would I take the time to give an idiot like you anything???? You have already called me a liar today after I posted the truth about your Commander in Chief Alexander Campbell with whom you spent 25 years.
I admitted I was wrong but but once a catholic, you can never be wrong...
Anonymous Proxy

Manassas, VA

#18 Aug 26, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
He wouldn't have called you a lair if it wasn't so "Little Al". Are all Christians like you? Or just the Catholic ones?
Barnsweb

Louisville, OH

#19 Aug 27, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
Only faithful disciples of Master YHWH Y'shua can be called "Christians" - if the Bible definition matters....

Claiming the title does not make it an actuality.
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#20 Aug 27, 2013
Barnsweb wrote:
<quoted text>
Only faithful disciples of Master YHWH Y'shua can be called "Christians" - if the Bible definition matters....
Claiming the title does not make it an actuality.
Are these disciples the ones that came from the Jesus freaks of the 1960's ?

If you don't follow the teachings of the Church, the Pillar of truth, you are a 'Diet' Christian at best. A protester of the fullness of Jesus' teaching.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bassett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
water baptism debate 1 hr Mike_Peterson 267
Christ - Petra 3 hr Mike_Peterson 26
History of the Bible 12 hr William 4
fan dies at race??? Tue jjb 2
Charles and Charles sex talk on Star News (Jan '13) Tue anonymous 7
Church of Christ - Rug of Hypocrisy (May '13) Tue PKA 33
How to be saved? Tue HEATH - 72 18
More from around the web

Bassett People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE