Dave P

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Guess quenching and grieving the Spirit are not that serious. And David was foolish for asking God not to take His Holy Spirit from him. And Paul was mistaken telling the Galatians they had fallen from grace and were.estranged from Christ.
Barnsweb

Canton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

'Did Muhammad Exist' by Robert Spencer is really turning out to be a great read...

There has been a 'war on Christians' for about two thousand years - we're just starting to feel it here in the USA. But it shouldn't be any wonder that the withholding hand of God has been withdrawn from us... Most people reject the truth of God in the name of God and cannot face the truth taught by Jesus Christ, as their deeds are evil and getting more evil by the day.

Has the North Korean missle been launched yet?

If some are right, the next big event will be the giant solar flare that wipes out modern civilization as we know it.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Dave P wrote:
Guess quenching and grieving the Spirit are not that serious. And David was foolish for asking God not to take His Holy Spirit from him. And Paul was mistaken telling the Galatians they had fallen from grace and were.estranged from Christ.
Dave, we should look at all the gaps in our own life. We are all miserable failures if we are being judged by perfection. Jesus was the only perfect man. Scripture clearly shows us we are sinners, not just a simple sinner but dirty rotten sinners with nothing good in us. We are completely undeserving, there was nothing good in in us that God could see.

I think you and I may be better men than David was, I doubt any of us has committed murder in the sense of physical murder, but we slander each other on here and call it a debate.

God did not decide to wash us up -cleanse the flesh. He decided to re-create us in the image of God-his own Son. That is why we need a new birth.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

I think one of the most compelling stories in the bible is Hosea and Gomer. God ordered/demanded Hosea to take a harlot for his wife. She soon left him and went back to the life of being an adulteress/whore. She lived almost until the end of her life when Hosea found her on an auction block being sold as a slave to the highest bidder. No one would even bid on her because she was worthless. Hosea had compassion/love for her, he bought/redeemed her and took her home with him. This story is in reference to the wayward children of Israel and by extension to us. We were once astray, so deep in sin there was no way out but God by his mercy has had pity on us and has redeemed us by the blood of his own son. He paid a price he did not owe for those of us with a debt we cannot pay. We are still weak and powerless without His Spirit, his love and his power abiding in us. The old song "we need thee every hour" comes to mind.
Dave P

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Bobby, all due respect, but William just basically said that no matter what a person does God will not turnHis back on them and save them anyway. God never turns His back on us, we all fall short and need His mercy and grace- I agree with all of those points. But we can turn our backs on Him, and to state that we will be ok for doing so is a dangerous statement. That's not in the Bible I read. We are all on here to discuss our views and present what we think is truth. But we should also be ready when questioned about what we believe, and willing to change if shown we are wrong. I have had to do that, and I am sure others have too.

The issue I believe is this. We are sealed by the Holy Spirit for the day of redemption. True- absolutely believe it. But should we believe in the doctrine of OSAS-once sealed always sealed? Is the indwelling Spirit an irrevocable gift? Or can we run Him off?
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Dave P wrote:
Bobby, all due respect, but William just basically said that no matter what a person does God will not turnHis back on them and save them anyway. God never turns His back on us, we all fall short and need His mercy and grace- I agree with all of those points. But we can turn our backs on Him, and to state that we will be ok for doing so is a dangerous statement. That's not in the Bible I read. We are all on here to discuss our views and present what we think is truth. But we should also be ready when questioned about what we believe, and willing to change if shown we are wrong. I have had to do that, and I am sure others have too.
The issue I believe is this. We are sealed by the Holy Spirit for the day of redemption. True- absolutely believe it. But should we believe in the doctrine of OSAS-once sealed always sealed? Is the indwelling Spirit an irrevocable gift? Or can we run Him off?
Did Gomer turn her back and walk away, yes she did. This happens all the time. If we are a child of the King, he will not leave us where we are. It's just like Jesus, he left the 99 to seek after the one lost sheep. I see it like this, in terms of real sheep, they are notorious for wandering off and loosing their way. I think Jesus is competent enough to finish the work he began in us.

You see, in the coc we are taught that we come to God and we find salvation and we do our part in saving ourselves.

"being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."

Granted, He uses others in his ministry but it is God's work we participate in.

Because it is his work and we are but workers in his vineyard, he gets the final say. what ever he has begun he will finish. We cannot see the end from the beginning but he can. Often times we see people we think are Christ followers but they are wolves in sheep's clothing. Who we may think is a brother that has gone astray may not have ever been a disciple. I have family members who are in this grey area, some even now deny they ever knew him. I pray for them almost every day because I fear for them, but in the end when the scrolls are opened by Jesus, all the saints will be revealed. If our names were ever in that book we will not be blotted out

"The one who is victorious will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out the name of that person from the book of life, but will acknowledge that name before my Father and his angels."

Jesus is the victor over the dark domain, we cannot change a thing he has intended to be, so I believe there is always hope!
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

I will leave you with this thought:

"And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day."
Barnsweb

Canton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

I'll just encourage you to revisit the telling of the last days, when God saves the remnant of Israel, it will only be after some are done away with and they are no longer in the land.

If you ponder that, it may help you distinguish that even with unfaithful Isreal, which He will save a remnant for His Name's sake, some will not be included. Did God ever say He would have more grace for the Gentile than one of the seed of Abraham? I don't recall the verse that says so. Do you?
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Barnsweb wrote:
I'll just encourage you to revisit the telling of the last days, when God saves the remnant of Israel, it will only be after some are done away with and they are no longer in the land.
If you ponder that, it may help you distinguish that even with unfaithful Isreal, which He will save a remnant for His Name's sake, some will not be included. Did God ever say He would have more grace for the Gentile than one of the seed of Abraham? I don't recall the verse that says so. Do you?

Paul speaking of Israel, says:

28 As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies for your sake; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs, 29 for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable. 30 Just as you who were at one time disobedient to God have now received mercy as a result of their disobedience, 31 so they too have now become disobedient in order that they too may now receive mercy as a result of God’s mercy to you. 32 For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.
The Whitehouse

Williamsburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

Listen up folks. The battle is not over but has just began. The fragility of religion is a direct result of those who now are troubled. You fight and wage war against each other while you claim loyalty to the same god. You have defeated yourselves.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

There is a great deal in the news of late, much of it fueled by our current political cycle and the contraception debate, about religious freedom.

Are Christians in America under attack?

It’s been said that the U.S. is becoming a “secular country,” that there’s a clash between “man’s laws and God’s laws,” and even that our current president has launched a “war on religion.”

Compared to the violence against Christians in many places around the world, the answer is no. Christians in America experience nothing compared to the persecution of Christians in such places as Nigeria, Iran, Pakistan, Egypt or Syria.

What is happening in America is an increasing hostility and intolerance toward Christian beliefs and values that many perceive to be an attack on religious freedom. In current American culture, you are free to be a Christian as long as you don’t actually live out your faith, vote your faith, take a stand in relation to your faith, or believe others should embrace your faith.

In other words, it can be privately engaging, but must remain socially irrelevant.

But there’s more.

There is a real concern that the growing insistence that faith be privatized has now become a demand for faith to be compromised. It’s not enough that your beliefs can’t influence society; you must also embrace society’s beliefs. As Jonah Goldberg noted in USA Today, the opposition to many Christian values has become an “if you’re not with us, you’re against us” mentality.

The recent decision to require most religious institutions – including Catholic hospitals and schools – to pay for contraception, sterilizations and the “morning after” pill is simply the most current case in point. For many this was about government coercion of religious individuals and institutions.

The developing fear is that government will make people choose between obeying the law and following their faith. Of course, the real flash point is the one between religious liberty and LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) rights. For example:
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

*Catholic Charities in Illinois shut down its adoption services rather than place children with same-sex couples (as the state required).

*A Christian counselor was penalized for refusing to advise gay couples.

*A court clerk in New York was told to issue same-sex marriage licenses, despite religious reservations.

*A wedding photographer was sued for refusing to shoot a same-sex wedding.

In each case, the Christian(s) involved were not attempting to impose their religious views on others. They simply didn’t want to be forced to participate or offer tacit support for something they felt was in violation of their religious conscience.

The argument is, of course, that such stands are discriminatory. But this is disingenuous. For example, refusing to serve a person of color has little in common with refusing to support a particular lifestyle that your religious beliefs deem immoral.

Even further, the argument which states “If you don’t want to serve the public, don’t open a business saying you will serve the public” is equally flawed.

And frightening.

What aspect of religious life isn’t, in one sense or another,“public”? A worship service is a service to the public, is it not? Does that mean it, too, should be subject to government oversight in terms of who it is forced to accommodate and how it is demanded to operate? Will it come to the point that to maintain integrity, all public events of a religious nature will have to become non-public, and thus effectively end any and all outreach? That might be the very desire of some, but it would drive the heart of the church’s mission underground every bit as much as it is in countries where persecution is taking place.

In a historic visit to the Vatican this past Wednesday, British Cabinet minister Baroness Warsi expressed her “fear” about the marginalization of religion, and specifically Christianity, through Britain and Europe.“My fear today is that a militant secularization is taking hold of our societies ... one of the most worrying aspects about this militant secularization is that at its core and in its instincts it is deeply intolerant. It demonstrates similar traits to totalitarian regimes – denying people the right to a religious identity.… You cannot extract Christian foundations from the evolution of our nations any more than you can erase the spires from our landscape.”

Indeed.

And before anyone says,“There’s another alarmist Christian right-winger for you,” think again.

Sayeeda Warsi is a Muslim.

James Emery White
Anonymous Proxy

Manassas, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

I believe the Catholic church is against Christianity in reality because of the restrictions placed upon salvation that Jesus never mentioned. Did God send his Son with the Word of God and forget to tell His Son the important parts? I don't think so. Jesus does not teach that salvation is of man but that salvation is in Him alone. I do not believe the Catholic church teaches that when it comes right down to what they are saying.
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

Anonymous Proxy wrote:
I believe the Catholic church is against Christianity in reality because of the restrictions placed upon salvation that Jesus never mentioned. Did God send his Son with the Word of God and forget to tell His Son the important parts? I don't think so. Jesus does not teach that salvation is of man but that salvation is in Him alone. I do not believe the Catholic church teaches that when it comes right down to what they are saying.
You don't know what the CC teaches. By attacking 1.2 billion Catholics and 2000 years of history , YOU are making war against true Christianity.

You are helping the secularists because the more you split up the more they point to the problems with Christianity.

You continue to split up the body of Christ doing exactly what Jesus said not to do so the world could see we are one.
Anonymous Proxy

Manassas, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know what the CC teaches. By attacking 1.2 billion Catholics and 2000 years of history , YOU are making war against true Christianity.
You are helping the secularists because the more you split up the more they point to the problems with Christianity.
You continue to split up the body of Christ doing exactly what Jesus said not to do so the world could see we are one.
Oh no Mike,you got it wrong again. Christians worship God and the Son He sent to die and shed His blood for their sins. Christians do not worship Mary or a man in a fancy robe with a fat ring to kiss that pretends to be Christ, no real Christians worship the real Christ. Christians do not worship buildings, history ,tradition, or other men they label saints. The first split of the body was when the Catholics left the real church in search of power and money.
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2013

Anonymous Proxy wrote:
<quoted text>Oh no Mike,you got it wrong again. Christians worship God and the Son He sent to die and shed His blood for their sins. Christians do not worship Mary or a man in a fancy robe with a fat ring to kiss that pretends to be Christ, no real Christians worship the real Christ. Christians do not worship buildings, history ,tradition, or other men they label saints. The first split of the body was when the Catholics left the real church in search of power and money.
Once again the world looks at stupid statements like this and reemphasizes that belief that all Christians are 'kooks'.

Thank goodness didn't promise to protect Protestantism from all evil. It will go away one day.

FDG

“Have facts, will travel!”

Since: Feb 08

The Big Town!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Of course there is no war against Christianity. People are just tired of being told what to do and how to live their lives. They are finally standing up for what is right and what is fair, along with having the Bill of Rights on their side, and a government that abides by them. I love the direction this country is headed. I am glad we are leaving the times of superstition and mythology and starting to embrace logic, reason, and reality.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Anonymous Proxy

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

FDG wrote:
Of course there is no war against Christianity. People are just tired of being told what to do and how to live their lives. They are finally standing up for what is right and what is fair, along with having the Bill of Rights on their side, and a government that abides by them. I love the direction this country is headed. I am glad we are leaving the times of superstition and mythology and starting to embrace logic, reason, and reality.
If there was no war against Christianity you would not be here.
Anonymous Proxy

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again the world looks at stupid statements like this and reemphasizes that belief that all Christians are 'kooks'.
Thank goodness didn't promise to protect Protestantism from all evil. It will go away one day.
And what is incorrect in my comment?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bassett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Origin of the Roman Catholic Church 4 hr Bobby 130
Catholics (Feb '14) 10 hr Bobby 844
Jesus' words only teaching, HRM (Sep '13) 10 hr Curious 63
Signing off ... for now Tue Barnsweb 512
Where did the CoC cowards go? Aug 23 Jimmy Crack Corn 2
Debate: Ferguson - Martinsville, VA Aug 22 Barnsweb 8
what are the differences between orthodoxy and ... Aug 18 Jimmy-Crack-Corn 1
•••
•••
•••