Talk About Homosexuality
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#61 Jun 15, 2013
Dave: I don't know how much you can trust anyone on the net, but I can assure you that Barnsweb, Bobby, myself, and others are being as straight and honest as possible with you. We're not trying to proselytize you or get you to join a specific church. I personally just enjoy good conversations and thinking exercises, as well as trying to help others find answers they're looking for.

All 4 of you read the same Bible and get different answers.

How is that helping anything? It confuses people It is telling people the Bible does not contain the Truth, or that at least 3 of you are lying or the evil spirit is talking to at least 3 of you.

20“I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in me through their word,

21so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me.m
Dave P

Chicago, IL

#62 Jun 15, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
Dave: I don't know how much you can trust anyone on the net, but I can assure you that Barnsweb, Bobby, myself, and others are being as straight and honest as possible with you. We're not trying to proselytize you or get you to join a specific church. I personally just enjoy good conversations and thinking exercises, as well as trying to help others find answers they're looking for.
All 4 of you read the same Bible and get different answers.
How is that helping anything? It confuses people It is telling people the Bible does not contain the Truth, or that at least 3 of you are lying or the evil spirit is talking to at least 3 of you.
20“I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in me through their word,
21so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me.m
Good day junior.

Since: Jul 12

Welch, WV

#63 Jun 15, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
All 4 of you read the same Bible and get different answers.

How is that helping anything? It confuses people. It is telling people the Bible does not contain the Truth, or that at least 3 of you are lying or the evil spirit is talking to at least 3 of you.
These talks are only an articulation of ideas and thoughts that already exist in the minds of people. The ideas presented are already confusing to people even if they were not posted on the internet before now. I hope that you are aware that there are more than 4 interpretations of the Bible.. if we include YOURS, that makes 5, at least. Why is your interpretation more likely to be true than any other?
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#64 Jun 15, 2013
Awesome_Steve_Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
These talks are only an articulation of ideas and thoughts that already exist in the minds of people. The ideas presented are already confusing to people even if they were not posted on the internet before now. I hope that you are aware that there are more than 4 interpretations of the Bible.. if we include YOURS, that makes 5, at least. Why is your interpretation more likely to be true than any other?
I don't have a personal interpretation of the Bible. Would God be so so cruel to create a book that contains the sole means of eternal salvation or damnation and tell the Christians that it is up to each individual to determine what that is.

Until 1470 when the printing press was invented, 90% of the people in the world could not read and the bibles were hand printed on animal skins by monks in monasteries They were very rare and very expensive.

Of course God would't. Jesus created a church that existed 350 years before the Bible existed. It is pillar and foundation of truth. The Bible is sufficient for teaching The church has taught for 2000 years.

Since: Jul 12

Welch, WV

#65 Jun 15, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have a personal interpretation of the Bible. Would God be so so cruel to create a book that contains the sole means of eternal salvation or damnation and tell the Christians that it is up to each individual to determine what that is.
Mike, you act as if I am the first person to suggest that the Bible can be interpreted to have different meanings. Look at this list of Christian Denominations - aren't they the result of individual interpretations of the Bible??(I listed yours first bc I know that you feel like yours is the authentic one)

Catholicism
Anglican
Assemblies of God
Baptist
Christadelphians
Christian Science
Church of Christ
Church of the Nazarene
Congregational Church
Disciples of Christ
Eastern Orthodox
Essenes
Friends (Quakers)
Jehovah's Witnesses
Latter-day Saints
Lutheran
Mennonites
Methodist
Metropolitan Community Church
Pentecostal Oneness
Pentecostal Trinitarian
Presbyterian
Reformed & Calvinist Churches
Salvation Army
Seventh Day Adventist
Swedenborgians/New Church
United Church of Canada
United Church of Christ
Vineyard Movement

Did I include everyone's? The churches in my county are mostly independent. There is no Catholic Church here to serve this community.

How can different people read the Bible and NOT come up with different views?

Since: Jul 12

Welch, WV

#66 Jun 15, 2013
Hmmm The Salvation Army is a denomination of Christianity? I did not know that..

They certainly serve communities throughout the US.
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#67 Jun 15, 2013
Awesome_Steve_Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
Mike, you act as if I am the first person to suggest that the Bible can be interpreted to have different meanings. Look at this list of Christian Denominations - aren't they the result of individual interpretations of the Bible??(I listed yours first bc I know that you feel like yours is the authentic one)
Catholicism
Anglican
Assemblies of God
Baptist
Christadelphians
Christian Science
Church of Christ
Church of the Nazarene
Congregational Church
Disciples of Christ
Eastern Orthodox
Essenes
Friends (Quakers)
Jehovah's Witnesses
Latter-day Saints
Lutheran
Mennonites
Methodist
Metropolitan Community Church
Pentecostal Oneness
Pentecostal Trinitarian
Presbyterian
Reformed & Calvinist Churches
Salvation Army
Seventh Day Adventist
Swedenborgians/New Church
United Church of Canada
United Church of Christ
Vineyard Movement
Did I include everyone's? The churches in my county are mostly independent. There is no Catholic Church here to serve this community.
How can different people read the Bible and NOT come up with different views?
You are missing about 30,000 throughout the world. But you see the point.

All can trace their start to a man but one. Only one existed for 1500 years.

Since: Jul 12

Welch, WV

#68 Jun 15, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are missing about 30,000 throughout the world. But you see the point.
All can trace their start to a man but one. Only one existed for 1500 years.
When I tried to search "Why the Catholics are Correct", my Google suggested : why the Catholics are corrupt! Your sect has a bad reputation on the internet - not that you can believe the internet. I think a gigantic group is being judged by a few wayward members - this is a familiar theme - what do you have to say in defense of being accused of supporting a corrupt religion?

I think you are very nice, Mike, even though you were not included in the list of nice people.
Barnsweb

Alliance, OH

#69 Jun 16, 2013
Even pagan Google knows the truth?:-)
Barnsweb

Alliance, OH

#70 Jun 16, 2013
Maybe they aren't so Pagan after all!:-)
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#71 Jun 16, 2013
Awesome_Steve_Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
When I tried to search "Why the Catholics are Correct", my Google suggested : why the Catholics are corrupt! Your sect has a bad reputation on the internet - not that you can believe the internet. I think a gigantic group is being judged by a few wayward members - this is a familiar theme - what do you have to say in defense of being accused of supporting a corrupt religion?
I think you are very nice, Mike, even though you were not included in the list of nice people.
First: you mentioned the Orthodox church in your town. That is a Catholic Church. Even though they don't recognize the Pope as leader of all Catholic Churches, I would probably attend that Church if I lived there.

All humans sin and many are corrupt. The Pope goes to confession at least once a week, I think. Jesus started the Church and said IT was the pillar and foundation of Truth. It was the only Church for the first 1500 years after Jesus.

If you are a Christian, how can you believe Jesus created something corrupt.

Every other non-Catholic ecclesial communities say that anybody can be the pillar and foundation of truth simple by reading the Bible , that the CC created, and determining yourself what the truth is.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#72 Jun 16, 2013
A couple of you may be interested in these 2 books: from 1978, Is the Homosexual My Neighbor? by Leatha Scanzoni and Virginia Mollenkott. I met Scanzoni and heard her speak shortly after this was published. From 1980, by John Boswell, Christianity, Social Tolerance and Homosexuality. I met Boswell, heard him speak twice and have an autographed copy of his book. I also had an autographed copy of the Scanzoni book until someone borrowed and failed to return it.

Some of you reading this are now ready to pounce. Have at it. But shouldn't you be somewhere singing Bringing in the Sheaves or There is a Fountain Filled with Blood?
Bible Talk

New York, NY

#73 Jun 16, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
First: you mentioned the Orthodox church in your town. That is a Catholic Church. Even though they don't recognize the Pope as leader of all Catholic Churches, I would probably attend that Church if I lived there.
All humans sin and many are corrupt. The Pope goes to confession at least once a week, I think. Jesus started the Church and said IT was the pillar and foundation of Truth. It was the only Church for the first 1500 years after Jesus.
If you are a Christian, how can you believe Jesus created something corrupt.
Every other non-Catholic ecclesial communities say that anybody can be the pillar and foundation of truth simple by reading the Bible , that the CC created, and determining yourself what the truth is.
Catholics never created the bible. God sent us the word through Jesus who revealed it to the church. Jesus started the original church and the Catholics separated themselves demanding the other bishops submit to the bishop of Rome. The other bishops refused to bow and kiss the Roman bishop. Through the bloodshed of the crusades, keeping the bible from laymen, and teaching their priests are required to receive Christ and be forgiven their sins, they have become quite a power house. Instead of bake sales to raise money they charged people money to get their relatives out of purgatory (it was a better scam than the ponzi scheme. They recently spent billions of dollars to settle pedophile charges of their priests. Billions of dollars are only a drop in the bucket to the Vatican. Power in this present world is the God of Mammon as they well know and it has served them well in this world. To leave the original church in quest of power will not PAY in the end.
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#74 Jun 16, 2013
Bible Talk wrote:
<quoted text>Catholics never created the bible. God sent us the word through Jesus who revealed it to the church. Jesus started the original church and the Catholics separated themselves demanding the other bishops submit to the bishop of Rome. The other bishops refused to bow and kiss the Roman bishop. Through the bloodshed of the crusades, keeping the bible from laymen, and teaching their priests are required to receive Christ and be forgiven their sins, they have become quite a power house. Instead of bake sales to raise money they charged people money to get their relatives out of purgatory (it was a better scam than the ponzi scheme. They recently spent billions of dollars to settle pedophile charges of their priests. Billions of dollars are only a drop in the bucket to the Vatican. Power in this present world is the God of Mammon as they well know and it has served them well in this world. To leave the original church in quest of power will not PAY in the end.
You like most Protestants have no clue how the Bible was created.

The one thing you base your salvation on and no clue. And no interest in learning because of what you might find out.
Bible Talk

New York, NY

#75 Jun 16, 2013
The claim the Catholics gave us the bible is far from the truth. It took the blood of martyrs to get the bible in the hands of the people. The Catholic church in 1535 arrested Tyndale and jailed him. He was convicted of heresy and executed by strangulation, after which his body was burnt at the stake. Yes they are such a loving bunch killing reformers for wanting common people to be able to have the bible. As in the above post they now claim the bible says they are the true church, that's funny coming from those who did everything possible to keep it out of the hands of the common man. Thanks to Luther, Tyndale, and other reformers we Protestants were able to escape the slavery of the Catholic church and search for truth returning to the original church. The Catholics have drifted to far with their traditions of man and a return to the more orthodox church of our forefathers is refreshing.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#76 Jun 16, 2013
Bible Talk wrote:
<quoted text>Catholics never created the bible. God sent us the word through Jesus who revealed it to the church. Jesus started the original church and the Catholics separated themselves demanding the other bishops submit to the bishop of Rome. The other bishops refused to bow and kiss the Roman bishop. Through the bloodshed of the crusades, keeping the bible from laymen, and teaching their priests are required to receive Christ and be forgiven their sins, they have become quite a power house. Instead of bake sales to raise money they charged people money to get their relatives out of purgatory (it was a better scam than the ponzi scheme. They recently spent billions of dollars to settle pedophile charges of their priests. Billions of dollars are only a drop in the bucket to the Vatican. Power in this present world is the God of Mammon as they well know and it has served them well in this world. To leave the original church in quest of power will not PAY in the end.
I find it hard to believe anyone could be this ignorant.
Bible Talk

New York, NY

#77 Jun 16, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it hard to believe anyone could be this ignorant.
I take it you disagree with a particular point in my post. Perhaps you could clarify for us.
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#78 Jun 16, 2013
Bible Talk wrote:
The claim the Catholics gave us the bible is far from the truth. It took the blood of martyrs to get the bible in the hands of the people. The Catholic church in 1535 arrested Tyndale and jailed him. He was convicted of heresy and executed by strangulation, after which his body was burnt at the stake. Yes they are such a loving bunch killing reformers for wanting common people to be able to have the bible. As in the above post they now claim the bible says they are the true church, that's funny coming from those who did everything possible to keep it out of the hands of the common man. Thanks to Luther, Tyndale, and other reformers we Protestants were able to escape the slavery of the Catholic church and search for truth returning to the original church. The Catholics have drifted to far with their traditions of man and a return to the more orthodox church of our forefathers is refreshing.
Just tell us who created the first Bible. Who decided what books were the inspired written word of God and then said, lets start making these?.

Did it rain Bibles from heaven? St John was the last Apostle. Did he start putting them in the local inns for the travelers to read?
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#79 Jun 16, 2013
Awesome_Steve_Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you do when you witness people sinning?
Generally speaking-nothing. If anything I pray for them or the people they may be hurting. I have in the past had a friend who was cheating on his wife and reluctantly I reminded him how much damage he was doing to his family life. So it just depends.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#80 Jun 16, 2013
Bible Talk wrote:
The claim the Catholics gave us the bible is far from the truth. It took the blood of martyrs to get the bible in the hands of the people. The Catholic church in 1535 arrested Tyndale and jailed him. He was convicted of heresy and executed by strangulation, after which his body was burnt at the stake. Yes they are such a loving bunch killing reformers for wanting common people to be able to have the bible. As in the above post they now claim the bible says they are the true church, that's funny coming from those who did everything possible to keep it out of the hands of the common man. Thanks to Luther, Tyndale, and other reformers we Protestants were able to escape the slavery of the Catholic church and search for truth returning to the original church. The Catholics have drifted to far with their traditions of man and a return to the more orthodox church of our forefathers is refreshing.
So Bible dude you ever hear of the English Martyrs? And want to tell us exactly which prots returned "to the original church?" Was it the Church of England? Lutherans? Presbyterians? Methodists? Baptists? Exactly which ones was it? Surely you don't mean the CofC!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bassett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I like to get on some buttseckz.. I aint gay.. ... Thu Captain peckerlips 1
Who got da biggest pecker in all uh Furrum? Thu Captain peckerlips 1
Christians Murder American Indians (Jan '12) Jun 18 Kevo8263 32
Catholics (Feb '14) Jun 17 mpetershat 3,338
Sarah Smith nude ! (Jul '12) Jun 13 sarasmith 2
The Bible teaches that the Earth will never end (Apr '15) May '16 Anonymous 38
thomas jefferson edwards Apr '16 nuks67 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bassett Mortgages