Since: Jul 12

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

What are we going to do about it, William? We can't just let society go around paying outrageous salaries to athletes! We might need that money to pay a physicist to produce a cold fusion power source! What will our future be like if we can't pay the scientists because we spent all the money on sports stadiums? We are SO doomed!

I'm kiddin'- I like to sit in my chair and criticize society like most people do. Something as profitable as a sports stadium could save my town from economic destruction - despite the welfare assistance, my community would sell their coats to buy some football tickets.

I'll try to bring the conversation back around to it's intended purposes: tell me what you like about sports.

Which is the best: children sports, college sports, or professional sports?

What do you think of the Olympics?

I was born in Washington DC, so I was born a Redskins fan and have even attended several of their games (years ago). My family loves WVU football and basketball - they follow it on TV and radio and attend a game usually once a year or so. They also love the Lakers - well, they did, they seem to stay fairly angry at them lately. Not angry enough to support a different team - they are loyal through thick and thin.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Dave P wrote:
And which of those is most important? Decline of the Roman Empire is what we're seeing with America. Politicians, athletes, entertainers making more than everyone else.
What's that old quote Babe Ruth gave when he found out he made more than the POTUS? "I had a better year than he did". That was over 80 years ago.
Our world is filled with injustices. It's right that we should seek justice but where do we go to find it. I am thinking of:

Ecc 3:16 And I saw something else under the sun:

In the place of judgment—wickedness was there,
in the place of justice—wickedness was there.

17 I said to myself,

“God will bring into judgment
both the righteous and the wicked,
for there will be a time for every activity,
a time to judge every deed.”

We need the prince of peace!
William

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

"And which of those is most important? Decline of the Roman Empire is what we're seeing with America. Politicians, athletes, entertainers making more than everyone else."

That is a true statement. And not likely to change anytime soon.

The Game is rigged now. More so than it's ever been. The nation has tapped politicians, activists, athletes, and entertainers to be it's "royalty", not the heart surgeon or the school teacher.

Such is life in these United States now.

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Dave P wrote:
And which of those is most important? Decline of the Roman Empire is what we're seeing with America. Politicians, athletes, entertainers making more than everyone else.
What's that old quote Babe Ruth gave when he found out he made more than the POTUS? "I had a better year than he did". That was over 80 years ago.
Well, this IS the point I was making - society is INCORRECT to compensate athletes more than those who serve the community. But, it does and so long as society is buying, businesses (even entertainment) will be selling. I see how it has happened, I understand why it still happens, I just think it is wrong. However - this is not specific to sports - it applies to all entertainment - maybe this is more about "the values of society" and not so much about sports.

Dave - regardless of how society is handling sports entertainment and how society members might use it for self gain such as gambling or selling T-shirts - I think you really do like sports. I think you deliberately stifle your enthusiasm for sports because supporting them "a little" could be misinterpreted as supporting the effects that sports can have on the public. Is this true?

Suppose that professional sports were NOT at all immoral or detrimental to anyone. If you ignored the salaries, the news, the marketing, and the way that sports morph into "Big Business" - what would you think of sports then?

Who would be your favorite team and why?

Will you encourage your children to participate in say: little league or "biddy buddy" basketball? What about cheer-leading or gymnastics?
William

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

"Which is the best: children sports, college sports, or professional sports?"

Getting to play and watch sports at various age and talent levels is equally fun. I coach my girls in middle school basketball so I enjoy that aspect of it, but I follow college football, basketball and baseball pretty regularly too. Pro sports are kind of down on the totem pole for me, but I'll watch them if I am bored.

"What do you think of the Olympics?"

Over-commercialized amateur sports that aren't really amateur anymore. Lots of phony national pride wrapped around it. Not a fan, but don't begrudge anyone else liking it.

"I was born in Washington DC, so I was born a Redskins fan and have even attended several of their games (years ago)."

That would have been at RFK Stadium, right? I think they are in a new stadium now. My favorite NFL team is probably either the Baltimore Ravens or the Carolina Panthers.

"My family loves WVU football and basketball - they follow it on TV and radio and attend a game usually once a year or so. They also love the Lakers - well, they did, they seem to stay fairly angry at them lately. Not angry enough to support a different team - they are loyal through thick and thin."

Jerry West and "Hot Rod" Hundley are two former WVU basketball players that went on to success with the Lakers. It is a weird tie-in, but it worked.

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
Our world is filled with injustices. It's right that we should seek justice but where do we go to find it. I am thinking of:
Ecc 3:16 And I saw something else under the sun:
In the place of judgment—wickedness was there,
in the place of justice—wickedness was there.
17 I said to myself,
“God will bring into judgment
both the righteous and the wicked,
We need the prince of peace!
Bobby! You never played sports, did you?

Sports aren't wicked! People took little games and twisted them into massive profit machines! That's ingenuity. At least our athletes become wealthy instead of eaten by lions.

It's our money, Bob, our money is wicked. If money was not mixed up with sports, maybe they would just be fun - like games are supposed to be. Are games wicked? Games are learning tools for children - adults have taken them to a whole new level.

It is not sports that is bad or wicked. It is the people who USED sports to produce profit. Profit is all that our society cares about! That's what is wicked. Money!

I wish God would come down from Heaven and take away everybody's money! That would teach us a lesson.

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

William wrote:
Getting to play and watch sports at various age and talent levels is equally fun. I coach my girls in middle school basketball so I enjoy that aspect of it, but I follow college football, basketball and baseball pretty regularly too. Pro sports are kind of down on the totem pole for me, but I'll watch them if I am bored.
This is true! I watched my son play basketball for a few years 6th-7th grades. He was very unenthusiastic - by 8th he wondered off the the band where he belonged. He tried though - practiced twice a week - one game each Saturday. He went through the motions and was always allowed to play at least one quarter or each game. He's got 2 trophies to prove it - everyone gets a trophy, you know. His basketball games are some of the few sports events I ever tried to follow. In HS, like my son, I was a bandee so, I didn't have to watch the game, my concern was the crowd.

I still watch the crowd - my family hollering at a television! Ha! It's great. I serve food and get out of the way.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Awesome_Steve_Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
Bobby! You never played sports, did you?
Sports aren't wicked! People took little games and twisted them into massive profit machines! That's ingenuity. At least our athletes become wealthy instead of eaten by lions.
It's our money, Bob, our money is wicked. If money was not mixed up with sports, maybe they would just be fun - like games are supposed to be. Are games wicked? Games are learning tools for children - adults have taken them to a whole new level.
It is not sports that is bad or wicked. It is the people who USED sports to produce profit. Profit is all that our society cares about! That's what is wicked. Money!
I wish God would come down from Heaven and take away everybody's money! That would teach us a lesson.
Yes, I did play sports and I agree that there is nothing evil in sports per say. And, I agree that money is the issue- biblically speaking it is the love of money that is the problem.

Solomon was the writer of Ecclesiastes and what he saw was wickedness in society, that even the people in high places who are supposed to be looking out for us were corrupt. The idea is that corruption in our world is ever present and that we need true justice. The question we need to ask ourselves is here will that true justice come from.

Solomon went on to say that “God will bring into judgment both the righteous and the wicked,

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

William wrote:

Over-commercialized amateur sports that aren't really amateur anymore. Lots of phony national pride wrapped around it. Not a fan, but don't begrudge anyone else liking it.
Another case of something that was unprofitable - amateur athletes are those poor athletes who work for free - they HAD to be manipulated to produce a profit. At least they bring honor and attention to sports that are lesser known and would otherwise be abandoned for lack of (profitability) interest. The Olympics are a motivation for young people to reach the potential of their bodies - finally a reward for all those years of intense work. A reason to pursue a finely tuned body - society could probably use more of those.
Dave P

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

ASM, I do enjoy sports especially football. I am a huge Cincinnati Bengals fan. I had to back off from them this year though because I started having anxiety attacks around Christmas last year. Too emotionally involved with everything, had to step back. Much better now but still going to remain distant.

I also HATE ESPN with a passion. I also think pro and major college events are staged to keep the public more interested in them. Guess I Am a conspiracy nut.
Dave P

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Bengals were my local team growing up, plus they were really good then.
William

Opelika, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

BSPiN
Greg Reynolds

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
Very good points. I once followed the cowboys faithfully, but now hardly ever watch them, never cared much for anything but football. As for tv we have dish and I am annoyed that I must buy a hundred other channels just to get fox news and the western channels. Everything is geared toward making us believe we must have this, that or the other. I grew up without tv, telephone, running water, electricity or indoor toilets. Life was good, I learned to pluck the feathers off a chicken, draw water out of a well and ride horses. We even had an old ford pickup and a tractor which I learned to drive as a kid- Life was hard but it was good! I remember going to a tent revival because we were looking for entertainment. If we could save up 15 cents we went to the movies-guess what most of them were- westerns.
Redskins all the way
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Greg Reynolds wrote:
<quoted text>
Redskins all the way
I always did like playing cowboys and indians:-)
Dave P

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

William wrote:
BSPiN
Correct on both counts.
Dave P

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

thefixisin.net is a site I look at often. He may go too far, but many times is correct.

For me, the idea that sports is like pro wrestling and fixed is the Patriots winning the Super Bowl right after the 9/11 attacks. They started 0-2, lost to a crappy Bengals team that year, changed QBs, then went on a roll. Got a gift handed to them in the playoff game vs the Raiders (tuck rule), beat a vastly superior Rams team.

The red, white, and blue Patriots, that stunk. Fixed!
William

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

The Fix is definitely in.

College sports are no exception.
Dave P

Sioux City, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

I think college sports aren't "as fixed" as the pros. Of course, Notre Dame last season had tons of help going as far as they did. The Pitt game being a prime example.
William

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

Over-rated and exposed as frauds. Just like their religion.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 39 of39
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Bassett Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Bassett People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••