Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#61 May 22, 2013
Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
Bobby, in my lengthy conversation with one of my elders at church Sunday, he pointed out the exact same thing. It takes being exposed to both to be able to see it.
That's another issue I have-how many of us truly speak from experience when we discuss things here? If we haven't been around groups and their teaching, can we really have a clear view of what they believe?
I would put a slight modification. You want to know what they are taught not what they believe. There will be some differences there.

There is no need to ever wonder what the CC teaches. It is for public viewing for free. Even all of their councils throughout history, infallible statements.

Only then will you have a clear view. That is why I cut and paste from the CCC and canon law.

Bobby quoted some things about what some Canon Law said that was wrong. That was a clouded view, not a clear one.
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#62 May 22, 2013
Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound like a tea partier demanding to see Obama's birth certificate. Papers, papers! Documents!
I told you already-all the documents, all the history you want to show, even a trail leading back to Pentecost-it doesn't matter. Christian history goes back way before Pentecost. Spiritual pride and arrogance says "we are the ones, and have documentation to prove it!" It got the Jews dispersed throughout the world, Jerusalem and the temple destroyed. It will lead to the destruction of the soul.
2000 years of truth? That idea is constantly being exposed as false here by many posters.
The only "papers" Christians need to have is the indwelling Spirit. He isn't within you-2000 years of "history", or a trail leading back to Pentecost isn't going to do you any good.
Dave "Papers, Papers, Documents!

And what is your sole rule of faith? Papers , Papers and Documents. The Bble

And to add to that, your documents source of Faith were those that were selected by the Catholic Church to be the inspired written word of God.

Dave" Constantly being exposed as false by many posters"

SWhich ones are false? By what Authority are these posters saying what is false or not? The Documents that only the CC has preserved? The Bible.

Jesus says the spirit is within me because because I was baptized and sealed with the anointing of oil.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#63 May 22, 2013
Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
Bobby, in my lengthy conversation with one of my elders at church Sunday, he pointed out the exact same thing. It takes being exposed to both to be able to see it.
That's another issue I have-how many of us truly speak from experience when we discuss things here? If we haven't been around groups and their teaching, can we really have a clear view of what they believe?
Speaking of experiences. A family member close to me in blood kin who I had never met nor knew existed came to visit us about 20 years ago. She spent a few days with us in our home. I noticed that she was uncomfortable when we prayed over our meals. She would not attend church with us and did not want to discuss faith in God. Later I found that she was catholic.

Mike has done more for us than he knows and it is not what he had hoped for.
Dave P

Versailles, KY

#64 May 22, 2013
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of experiences. A family member close to me in blood kin who I had never met nor knew existed came to visit us about 20 years ago. She spent a few days with us in our home. I noticed that she was uncomfortable when we prayed over our meals. She would not attend church with us and did not want to discuss faith in God. Later I found that she was catholic.
My mother's side of the family has similar issues with her. My mom thinks two of my uncles have fallen away-baptized in the coc, left the faith for a while, then went into holiness and community churches. Family gatherings don't happen as often and are cold. Not much talk of Jesus. My aunts and other uncle were never in faith to begin with.

One of my uncles preaches from time to time. I am going to go hear him sometime. My parents will not be happy. But I must be true to my convictions.

Agree about Mike-he has done a good job of uniting us, and souring us even more on catholicism and on the whole one true church thing.
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#65 May 22, 2013
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently she was a fallen away Catholic. I pray with non Catholic Christians all the time. Did she attend a Catholic Church instead that day? If not she had fallen away. We are required to go to Church on Sunday no matter where we are.

Like you said, you knew nothing about her. But yet you insinuate this is what Catholicism means.

I am presenting the truth of the what teaching of the Catholic Church really is. I can see by your responses you have no clue what that is . You quote Canon Laws which are not true.

I have not said one lie about the Baptist Church. I use to be a Southern Baptist.
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#66 May 22, 2013
Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
My mother's side of the family has similar issues with her. My mom thinks two of my uncles have fallen away-baptized in the coc, left the faith for a while, then went into holiness and community churches. Family gatherings don't happen as often and are cold. Not much talk of Jesus. My aunts and other uncle were never in faith to begin with.
One of my uncles preaches from time to time. I am going to go hear him sometime. My parents will not be happy. But I must be true to my convictions.
Agree about Mike-he has done a good job of uniting us, and souring us even more on catholicism and on the whole one true church thing.
Of course you are soured. You would have to convert and your parents would not approve.

Why are your uncles wrong and you are right? Maybe they believe the HS is leading them to the truth.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#67 May 22, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently she was a fallen away Catholic. I pray with non Catholic Christians all the time. Did she attend a Catholic Church instead that day? If not she had fallen away. We are required to go to Church on Sunday no matter where we are.
Like you said, you knew nothing about her. But yet you insinuate this is what Catholicism means.
I am presenting the truth of the what teaching of the Catholic Church really is. I can see by your responses you have no clue what that is . You quote Canon Laws which are not true.
I have not said one lie about the Baptist Church. I use to be a Southern Baptist.
I am just connecting the dots. Any coc out there that have been told you must go to a coc church even when you were out of town. See the connection there.

Nah, you were never a southern baptist-see what I mean-it cures everything that way.

I hope you enjoy your stay but don't expect to get any converts.
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#68 May 22, 2013
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
I am just connecting the dots. Any coc out there that have been told you must go to a coc church even when you were out of town. See the connection there.
Nah, you were never a southern baptist-see what I mean-it cures everything that way.
First Baptist Church Addis, La. You might see my sisters name on there.

https://www.facebook.com/firstaddis

Of course you should go to Church every Sunday. What would be good excuse other than sickness. Don't you respect Jesus that much?

All I can do is explain and defend Jesus' church and pray. Jesus does the rest.
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#69 May 22, 2013
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
The preacher at the Church had me a scholarship lined up at Louisiana College in Pineville, La to become a preacher.

No converts? I must admit I only know of one that the HS reverted in the last year. I didnt do it, the HS did. He had left the Church and joined a Calvary Chapel church. Met him on youtube putting the Church down.
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#70 Jun 7, 2013
We can all agree that we must believe that all that Christ has taught, all that God has revealed, and without that Faith, there is no salvation. So without Faith there is eternal damnation. Jesus said "He that believeth not shall be condemned.

If he commands me to believe all he has taught, he is bound to give me the means to know what he taught. This means of knowing must have been at available at all times within the reach of all people.

That means that for us to know what he taught there has to be way all capacities of intellects even the dullest must be able to do. Even ignorant people have the right to salvation.

The way God gives us to know must be an infallible way. The threat of non knowing is hell. We cannot be afraid of error in the way we are brought to the truth.

Protestants of course say he did. We have a book. If that is true God would given us a book. He did not do that. He sent the Apostles out to teach them what he had commanded them.

Jesus did not say, sit down and write Bibles and scatter them all over the Earth and let every man read his Bible and judge for himself. If Christ had said that , there would have never been Christianity.

The book of the Apocalypse was written 65 years after Jesus. Were all the Christians before then able to go to heaven? How were they to know how to save their souls?

None of the Apostles read all the books that made into the Bible except maybe St John. Did they make it to heaven on the Bible alone? We should all know by now , the Bible was not canonized until 382 AD.

Now for 350 years, Jesus left the world without the Bible, but for 1400 years the world was left with everybody not having that book.

The Bible was rare and costly thing. It took a flock of sheep to make the skin, and it took a man with pen on sheepskin to hand print the Bible. It could take many, many years for a man to make a copy of the Bible. It is estimated the cost at today's rate would be over $10,000.

So the Protestant today says to save your soul you need a bible to interpret and the cost is $10,000. How many people in the pews are going to own 1.

For 1400 years people did not have enough money to buy a Bible. To add to that 90% of the people could not read before 1400.

So for 1400 years, only the rich people who could read could have eternal life.

So would God be such a cruel God to command us to read a book and determine for ourselves, when we had no access or could not read if we did , what our eternal life will be like.

Of course not. That is why he left us a Church and not a book. That is why he left us Authority and not every man for himself.

The Bible is proficient for teaching. It is the inerrant and inspired written word of god created by the Church to help her teach.
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#71 Jun 11, 2013
Think about the year 4000. We cannot comprehend what the year 4000 will be like if Jesus has not returned yet, even if he has

That is 2000 years from now. 25 generations.

Well that is how long the Catholic Church has been already been here. The year 2013 when you were alive in AD 32 was incomprehensible.

Yet God has been true to his Word as any true Christian knows he would not lie. He said he would not let his Church fail and would protect it from all evil and he has. He said it would be here until the end of ages.

The oldest non Catholic ecclesial community is 500 years old, Lutheranism, 1/4 the age and dying off. The newest one started somewhere today.

In the year 4000, Protestantism as we know it today, will be a footnote in history. It is destroying itself from within by SS as the anti-Catholics show here on this forum. The only thing they agree on is Jesus did not start a Church, but Jesus wrote a book for every human on earth to decide what it means to them. Not sustainable. Satan has created this chaos.

The Mormons and JW cults have a better chance of surviving because they have unity in their false teaching.

Jesus' Church will still be here dealing with other heresies as it has for the first 2000 years.
Dave P

Lexington, KY

#72 Jun 11, 2013
Nuts, spam, clueless, wrong, incendiary, mean, Ashdod. Repeat endlessly.

You don't even get your error right.
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#73 Jun 12, 2013
Dave P wrote:
Nuts, spam, clueless, wrong, incendiary, mean, Ashdod. Repeat endlessly.
You don't even get your error right.
In other words you have no answer because you cannot refute historical facts.
Barnsweb

Canton, OH

#74 Jun 12, 2013
Jesus (Y'shua) taught those disciples and said their witness of Him and the words He spoke would be transferred that others would also believe through their testimony - Holy Spirit inspired testimony of what He taught. These were recorded as needed by Matthew and John - and finally in Revelation, which was dictated and commanded to be written down.

So we have available to us today more of His truth than any one Apostle did in the days of the beginning - and we are supposed to think to say this is not a responsibility that God has given us to know the truth and testify of the truth of Jesus Christ?!

No, could it not be for this very day, that we of this generation renew our commitment to what Revelation says will be needed to meet the challenges and darts of Satan? To keep the commandments of God, the Testimony of Jesus Christ directly from heaven, and to have the same faith that He had - to have the faith of Christ?
= that God is true, every man a liar, and that we need to repent to do the will of God and live by His word as we are also aided by the promised Spirit. Blessed are those who keep the words of His prophecy and don't change it - but accept and abide in it. Cursed are those who add to or take away from it.
Barnsweb

Canton, OH

#75 Jun 12, 2013
After some thought, I'll have to correct that we have more than the apostles had at the beginning to more than any one of them recorded at that time. This means we have the same as they had, which is what He gave them - not that we have more than the original disciples (Apostles), but the total of what they testified to as His gospel from the Father in Heaven.

And that these things are very much needed for our day if we live in the latter days spoken of by God through the holy prophets and the Apostle of heaven who said all need to repent to do the will of God to prepare for the Kingdom.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#76 Jun 12, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:

That is why he left us a Church and not a book. That is why he left us Authority and not every man for himself.
The Bible is proficient for teaching. It is the inerrant and inspired written word of god created by the Church to help her teach.
Would you please show this claim you make in the word of God and not the word of man.
Dave P

United States

#77 Jun 12, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words you have no answer because you cannot refute historical facts.
You've been answered countless times. You go running to your creeds and CCC and everything else when confronted with truth. You prefer Ashdod over truth.
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#78 Jun 12, 2013
JustChristian wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you please show this claim you make in the word of God and not the word of man.
I can't show the prophecy of the Bible in the Bible. It doesn't exist.

The Bible is 100% the Sacred Written Tradition of the Catholic Church. It is only by the CC you have, and you have accepted it, the Bible which is the inerrant and inspired word of God.

Protestants did not contribute anything to the creation of it.
William

Birmingham, AL

#79 Jun 12, 2013
"The Bible is 100% the Sacred Written Tradition of the Catholic Church. It is only by the CC you have, and you have accepted it, the Bible which is the inerrant and inspired word of God.

Protestants did not contribute anything to the creation of it."

Here is a list of the bibles that the Catholic church uses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Bible

Which one of these bibles is actually the word of God for the Catholic church? All of them? Some of them?
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#80 Jun 12, 2013
William wrote:
"The Bible is 100% the Sacred Written Tradition of the Catholic Church. It is only by the CC you have, and you have accepted it, the Bible which is the inerrant and inspired word of God.
Protestants did not contribute anything to the creation of it."
Here is a list of the bibles that the Catholic church uses:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Bible
Which one of these bibles is actually the word of God for the Catholic church? All of them? Some of them?
The official Bible of the Bishop of Rome is the Latin Vulgate. The US Catholic Bishops uses the NAB.

One that is not , is the one translated for the King of England.

You hit reply but didnt reply. What contribution did the Protestants make to the creation of the Bible? None.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bassett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What Does Johnny Robertson Say 3 hr Olethros 4
The tent flopped (Jun '13) 3 hr Olethros 14
Are You Ready? 3 hr Olethros 127
Sola fide? 4 hr Mike_Peterson 56
Why They Left: Listening to Those Who Have Left... (May '12) Fri Bobby 41
Catholics (Feb '14) Fri Bobby 1,006
COC and KJV Bible (Jan '13) Sep 18 _Randy_ 85
•••
•••
•••