Dave P

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Acts 3:24- "Yes, and all the prophets from Samuel and those who follow, as many as have spoken, have also foretold THESE days". All of the ot prophets foretold the church age, the age the apostles were living in-not events 2000 years or more beyond the apostles.

Gentlemen, carry on the conversations. Have to get ready for work.
William

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Zechariah 14 (KJV)

1 Behold, the day of the Lord cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.

2 For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city.

3 Then shall the Lord go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle.

4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.

5 And ye shall flee to the valley of the mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: and the Lord my God shall come, and all the saints with thee.

6 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the light shall not be clear, nor dark:

7 But it shall be one day which shall be known to the Lord, not day, nor night: but it shall come to pass, that at evening time it shall be light.

8 And it shall be in that day, that living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; half of them toward the former sea, and half of them toward the hinder sea: in summer and in winter shall it be.

9 And the Lord shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one Lord, and his name one.

10 All the land shall be turned as a plain from Geba to Rimmon south of Jerusalem: and it shall be lifted up, and inhabited in her place, from Benjamin's gate unto the place of the first gate, unto the corner gate, and from the tower of Hananeel unto the king's winepresses.

11 And men shall dwell in it, and there shall be no more utter destruction; but Jerusalem shall be safely inhabited.

A few things to ask, if all of this supposedly happened in AD 70:

1. Were ALL nations (verse 2) of the earth gathered together to battle Israel, or just the Roman army?

2. Verse 3 says "nations" (plural) and that the Lord would go forth and fight them. Did the Lord show up to fight the Roman army in AD 70?

3. Did the Lord stand on the Mount of Olives in AD 70?(verse 4).

4. Was the Lord "king over all the earth" when this happened? Hard to imagine, since Jerusalem fell.

5. Was Jerusalem "safely inhabited" in AD 70 following it's invasion and subsequent destruction by the Roman army?(verse 11).

When has Jerusalem E-V-E-R been safely inhabited as it relates to Israel and the earthly reign of Jesus Christ? During his life and ministry? No, the land was occupied by the Roman army, and Christ was killed there, so it really wasn't "safely inhabited" during A-N-Y time of his life there. And it certainly isn't "safely inhabited" today, what with the ever-present threat of terrorism that looms over it.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

You failed to continue with the entire chapter of Zechariah 14. The Festival of Tabernacles [Num. 29:12-38] doesnt quite fit your position so I can understand you stopping short on Zechariah 14.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Here is rest of the chapter:

12 This is the plague with which the Lord will strike all the nations that fought against Jerusalem: Their flesh will rot while they are still standing on their feet, their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongues will rot in their mouths.

13 On that day people will be stricken by the Lord with great panic. They will seize each other by the hand and attack one another.

14 Judah too will fight at Jerusalem. The wealth of all the surrounding nations will be collected—great quantities of gold and silver and clothing.

15 A similar plague will strike the horses and mules, the camels and donkeys, and all the animals in those camps.

16 Then the survivors from all the nations that have attacked Jerusalem will go up year after year to worship the King, the Lord Almighty, and to celebrate the "Festival of Tabernacles."

17 If any of the peoples of the earth do not go up to Jerusalem to worship the King, the Lord Almighty, they will have no rain.

18 If the Egyptian people do not go up and take part, they will have no rain. The Lord[b] will bring on them the plague he inflicts on the nations that do not go up to celebrate the Festival of Tabernacles.

19 This will be the punishment of Egypt and the punishment of all the nations that do not go up to celebrate the Festival of Tabernacles.

20 On that day holy to the Lord will be inscribed on the bells of the horses, and the cooking pots in the Lord’s house will be like the sacred bowls in front of the altar.

21 Every pot in Jerusalem and Judah will be holy to the Lord Almighty, and all who come to sacrifice will take some of the pots and cook in them. And on that day there will no longer be a Canaanite[c] in the house of the Lord Almighty.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

Could this be figurative speech in Zechariah 14 about the church age? Other verses come to mind like Daniel 2:44 and some from Isaiah.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

As New Guy said yesterday-“all of the prophets from Samuel and them that followed after, as many as have spoken, they also told of THESE DAYS”(Acts 3:24). This would include Zechariah 14.

The language in Zechariah 14 seems very figurative. I believe it to be referencing the Church age NOT literal Jerusalem.

Daniel 2:44 … Micah 4:1-2 … Isaiah 2:2 also speak of the Church age.

Admittedly, I haven’t studied this a great deal so I am open to hearing other views and weighing them against Scripture. Thus far, I do not side with dispensationalist and the pre-trib/literal 1000 year reign of Christ. As a teen, I was into the END TIMES. I held the pre-trib view and purchased books and such on the subject. I quickly discovered that it was all kinds of teachings on the END TIMES and countless contradictions between various teachers of the END TIMES. After that, I threw in the towel on eschatology. Looking back, I wonder how many were just writing books on eschatology to make a fast buck.
William

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

"Could this be figurative speech in Zechariah 14 about the church age? Other verses come to mind like Daniel 2:44 and some from Isaiah."

Religion conveniently spiritualizes most anything to fit their own particular doctrine, thereby rendering verses into "figurative speech".

What did Peter say about "private interpretation"?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

So, you’re a literalist? You actually believe the bible contains no symbolic or figurative language? How about explaining the literal meaning of the Feast of Tabernacles cited in verse 16 of Zechariah. Num. 29:12-38 will help you on this. Are you contending that daily offerings of animals will be made by fire … even a male goat for sin offering in the literal 1000 years reign of Christ? If you truly take the literalist approach then you must be consistent and apply it to verse 16- the verse you forgot to include when you posted Zechariah 14. I believe Zechariah used figurative language that foretold of the Church age.
William

Opelika, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

Yeah you could say that I am a literalist. I believe that Jesus Christ is literally the only begotten son of God, and that he literally walked this earth, was literally killed, and literally resurrected by God.

So with that in place, when I see verse after verse after verse that talks about a literal, physical kingdom in the old testament and new testament, I tend to take that literally.

Here is something else that I literally believe: that Jesus Christ died for every single one of my sins, and that God resurrected him for my justification. I literally am placing my absolute trust in what he did for me at Calvary, and that I literally cannot lose my salvation because of this trust.

And we will literally see what happens with all of this, one day.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

William wrote:
Yeah you could say that I am a literalist. I believe that Jesus Christ is literally the only begotten son of God, and that he literally walked this earth, was literally killed, and literally resurrected by God.
So with that in place, when I see verse after verse after verse that talks about a literal, physical kingdom in the old testament and new testament, I tend to take that literally.
Here is something else that I literally believe: that Jesus Christ died for every single one of my sins, and that God resurrected him for my justification. I literally am placing my absolute trust in what he did for me at Calvary, and that I literally cannot lose my salvation because of this trust.
You actually believe the bible contains no symbolic or figurative language?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

William wrote:
How about explaining the literal meaning of the Feast of Tabernacles cited in verse 16 of Zechariah. Num. 29:12-38 will help you on this. Are you contending that daily offerings of animals will be made by fire … even a male goat for sin offering in the literal 1000 years reign of Christ? If you truly take the literalist approach then you must be consistent and apply it to verse 16- the verse you forgot to include when you posted Zechariah 14.
Dave P

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Revelation 1:1- "And He sent and SIGNIFIED it by His angel to His servant John"....

Give a sign, indicate by signs. Right off the bat Revelation says it is a symbolic book.
Dave P

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

I do believe Zechariah 14 is very symbolic in nature, and different first century events are in view. The destruction of Jerusalem is in play. The rivers of living water appears to be a reference to the Holy Spirit, read John 7. Pentecost may also be in view there. Is the feast of tabernacles symbolic for this day and age?
nobody

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Will this prayer be answered?
Gods Word wrote:
Matt 6:10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

The bible tells us Jesus will return, has He?
Gods Word wrote:
Act 1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

Rev 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
Rev 22:20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Jesus rules His Kingdom but His Kingdom does not rule the earth yet. God rules heaven and kicked Satan out and will someday Jesus will rule earth and cast Satan out, delivering up the rule to the Father. When has Jesus returned or ruled His Kingdom from His Holy Mountain? Has any of this happened yet?
Gods Word wrote:
1 Sam 2:10 The adversaries of the LORD shall be broken to pieces; out of heaven shall he thunder upon them: the LORD shall judge the ends of the earth; and he shall give strength unto his king, and exalt the horn of his anointed.

Gen 49:10 The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be.

Psalms 2: 6 Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.
Psalms 2: 7 I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.
Psalms 2:8 Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.
Psalms 2:9 Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.

Psalms 22:27 All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.
Psalms 22: 28 For the kingdom is the LORD'S: and he is the governor among the nations. Psalms 22:29 All they that be fat upon earth shall eat and worship: all they that go down to the dust shall bow before him: and none can keep alive his own soul.

Psalms 67:4 O let the nations be glad and sing for joy: for thou shalt judge the people righteously, and govern the nations upon earth. Selah.

Psalms 86:9 All nations whom thou hast made shall come and worship before thee, O Lord; and shall glorify thy name.

Isa 2:2And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD'S house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

Micah 4: 1 But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountain of the house of the LORD shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it.
Micah 4: 2 And many nations shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, and to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for the law shall go forth of Zion, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.
If it has not already happened then it surely will in the future.
nobody

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Zechariah 14:9 And the Lord shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one Lord, and his name one.

Maybe this is symbolic of the Lord returning and ruling the earth, lol, just like it says.
Dave P

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

I would say Jesus took care of all those prophecies you mentioned.
Mike Peterson

Madison, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

William wrote:
"Could this be figurative speech in Zechariah 14 about the church age? Other verses come to mind like Daniel 2:44 and some from Isaiah."
Religion conveniently spiritualizes most anything to fit their own particular doctrine, thereby rendering verses into "figurative speech".
What did Peter say about "private interpretation"?
Amen. No private interpretation of scriptures. They were interpreted when the writers were alive. Nobody need bother 2000 years later. They didnt write them and say figure them out.

They deposited all teaching both oral and written into the Church. The Church came first and existed 350 years without a Bible.
William

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Mike, does the RCC literally, or figuratively, believe the events that are depicted in Zechariah, Daniel, and Revelation?
Mike Peterson

Madison, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

William wrote:
Mike, does the RCC literally, or figuratively, believe the events that are depicted in Zechariah, Daniel, and Revelation?
If you are talking about the end times, this is the teaching of the Church Jesus started thru the Apostles.

673 Since the Ascension Christ's coming in glory has been imminent, even though "it is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has fixed by his own authority.". This eschatological coming could be accomplished at any moment, even if both it and the final trial that will precede it are "delayed".

674 The glorious Messiah's coming is suspended at every moment of history until his recognition by "all Israel", for "a hardening has come upon part of Israel" in their "unbelief" toward Jesus. St. Peter says to the Jews of Jerusalem after Pentecost: "Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out, that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that he may send the Christ appointed for you, Jesus, whom heaven must receive until the time for establishing all that God spoke by the mouth of his holy prophets from of old." St. Paul echoes him: "For if their rejection means the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance mean but life from the dead?"571 The "full inclusion" of the Jews in the Messiah's salvation, in the wake of "the full number of the Gentiles", will enable the People of God to achieve "the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ", in which "God may be all in all".

The Church's ultimate trial

675 Before Christ's second coming the Church must pass through a final trial that will shake the faith of many believers. The persecution that accompanies her pilgrimage on earth will unveil the "mystery of iniquity" in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth. The supreme religious deception is that of the Antichrist, a pseudo-messianism by which man glorifies himself in place of God and of his Messiah come in the flesh.

676 The Antichrist's deception already begins to take shape in the world every time the claim is made to realize within history that messianic hope which can only be realized beyond history through the eschatological judgment. The Church has rejected even modified forms of this falsification of the kingdom to come under the name of millenarianism, especially the "intrinsically perverse" political form of a secular messianism.

677 The Church will enter the glory of the kingdom only through this final Passover, when she will follow her Lord in his death and Resurrection.The kingdom will be fulfilled, then, not by a historic triumph of the Church through a progressive ascendancy, but only by God's victory over the final unleashing of evil, which will cause his Bride to come down from heaven.God's triumph over the revolt of evil will take the form of the Last Judgment after the final cosmic upheaval of this passing world.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of42
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Bassett Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Bassett People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance