Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#141 Oct 31, 2013
William wrote:
What weed smoking will get you:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/faus-carl-pelini...
Adios to that fat salary, clown.
Marijuana isn't even mentioned. It's hard to imagine someone bothering to accuse someone of using pot.
William

Weaver, AL

#142 Oct 31, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Marijuana isn't even mentioned. It's hard to imagine someone bothering to accuse someone of using pot.
It was weed.

And look what happened.

North Hollywood, CA

#143 Oct 31, 2013
William wrote:
<quoted text>
It was weed.
And look what happened.
You just made that up. Nobody would even bother if it were weed.
William

Montgomery, AL

#144 Oct 31, 2013
"You just made that up. Nobody would even bother if it were weed."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/i...
William

Montgomery, AL

#145 Oct 31, 2013
"A source said the coaches attended a recent social event at which marijuana was used. Although this appears to be an isolated incident, all involved determined it was in the best interest of the program that the coaches resign, the source said.

Athletic director Pat Chun said Pelini and Rekstis tendered their resignations after he confronted both coaches with reports relating to their use of illegal drugs."

The lesson here?

Smoke weed. Get fired. Get your career ruined.

North Hollywood, CA

#146 Oct 31, 2013
William wrote:
"You just made that up. Nobody would even bother if it were weed."
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/i...
If you got rid of everybody in the sports program who had ever attended a "social event at which marijuana was used", you'd have...um...nobody.
This is the REAL reason Carl Pelini was asked to resign.."had a 5-15 record". When the football team doesn't go well, the alumni tend not to donate as much to the college.

North Hollywood, CA

#147 Oct 31, 2013
William wrote:
"A source said the coaches attended a recent social event at which marijuana was used. Although this appears to be an isolated incident, all involved determined it was in the best interest of the program that the coaches resign, the source said.
Athletic director Pat Chun said Pelini and Rekstis tendered their resignations after he confronted both coaches with reports relating to their use of illegal drugs."
The lesson here?
Smoke weed. Get fired. Get your career ruined.
The lesson here, have a couple of really bad seasons as a college football coach, get fired.

Since: Jul 12

Oceana, WV

#148 Nov 1, 2013
William wrote:
What weed smoking will get you:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/faus-carl-pelini...
Adios to that fat salary, clown.
That article said "illegal drugs" - how do you know it was weed? He could have been smoking that crack.

Oceana, WV

#149 Nov 1, 2013
OK, my bad - didn't realize there was another page of comments. Pardon me, must have been weed then.

Strange that someone with so much to lose would risk it for something as silly as weed.

Santa Monica, CA

#150 Nov 1, 2013
Awesome_Steve_Monkey wrote:
OK, my bad - didn't realize there was another page of comments. Pardon me, must have been weed then.
Strange that someone with so much to lose would risk it for something as silly as weed.
Actually, the story says something like he was at a party were some people were smoking weed. I think this has more to do with his poor record than his being in a house with people who are smoking pot...

Oceana, WV

#151 Nov 1, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the story says something like he was at a party were some people were smoking weed. I think this has more to do with his poor record than his being in a house with people who are smoking pot...
OK - let's suppose you are correct - but it doesn't excuse that coach from acting against his employment contract by doing something that he COULD be fired over. They needed an excuse to get rid of him - he provided them with one - the guy must be a crappy coach AND have poor judgement.

Do you think that if pot were legal, this coach would still have his job?
William

Norman, OK

#152 Nov 1, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
The lesson here, have a couple of really bad seasons as a college football coach, get fired.
You should apply for his job.

But you'd have to pass a drug test.

Oceana, WV

#153 Nov 1, 2013
You'll also have to have a good plan to keep that team from losing - it better work, otherwise, they'll find any reason to get rid of you.
William

Bixby, OK

#154 Nov 2, 2013
You'll also have to have a good plan to keep that team from losing - it better work, otherwise, they'll find any reason to get rid of you.
Any job requires positive performance and value from an employee. Smoking weed on the job, and in this case, as a high profile representative of the University, will get you gone in an instant. Imagine if it had been the University president. Sane story, and he isn't trying to win football games to keep his job.

North Hollywood, CA

#155 Nov 2, 2013
William wrote:
<quoted text>
You should apply for his job.
But you'd have to pass a drug test.
I'd probably end up with a better record...
And I'd get to walk into a shower room full of naked hard-bodied young college boys with beads of water dripping...oh wait...what was I talking about?
Yeah, I'd tell an employer who asked me to take a drug test to bug off.
If I come in to work too wasted to do my job, they should fire my sorry blackside, but unless they are paying me for every single hour of the week, what I do while not at work is none of their business.

North Hollywood, CA

#156 Nov 2, 2013
<quoted text>
OK - let's suppose you are correct - but it doesn't excuse that coach from acting against his employment contract by doing something that he COULD be fired over. They needed an excuse to get rid of him - he provided them with one - the guy must be a crappy coach AND have poor judgement.
Do you think that if pot were legal, this coach would still have his job?
I think they would have found some "reason" to get rid of him.
They didn't even fire him for smoking pot, but for being in a house were people were smoking pot...that's desperation.

North Hollywood, CA

#157 Nov 2, 2013
William wrote:
<quoted text>
Any job requires positive performance and value from an employee. Smoking weed on the job, and in this case, as a high profile representative of the University, will get you gone in an instant. Imagine if it had been the University president. Sane story, and he isn't trying to win football games to keep his job.
The coach wasn't smoking pot. At least it didn't say so in the story. If the university president had been smoking pot, lol, don't think anybody would care *unless* people were trying to get rid of him for other reasons.(Can't imagine being a university president and not taking a toke or two every once in a while.)
Dave P

Morehead, KY

#158 Nov 2, 2013
The females here seem to be missing one point- firing a head coach in the middle of a football season isn't a routine thing. For being a losing coach, 99% of the time being fired for that occurs after the season is over.

If Pelini was doing a horrible job at coaching, he was gone at year's end. To be fired mid-season is absolutely for being at a social event where weed was being used.

Check out Larry Eustachy.

On April 28, 2003; The Des Moines Register carried a picture of Eustachy kissing several young women and holding a beer at a party near the University of Missouri's campus just hours after the Tigers defeated Eustachy's Cyclones on January 22. The Register also reported that Eustachy had been seen at a fraternity party at Kansas State hours after his team lost to the Wildcats. On April 30, athletic director Bruce Van De Velde suspended Eustachy with pay and recommended that he be fired for violating a morals clause in his contract. Eustachy held a press conference in which he apologized for his behavior and admitted he'd recently begun rehab treatment for alcoholism.[1][2]

Eustachy initially indicated he would contest the suspension. Instead, on May 6, he announced his resignation.[3]

199899 Iowa State 1515 610 9th
199900 Iowa State 325 142 1st NCAA Elite Eight
200001 Iowa State 256 133 1st NCAA 1st round
200102 Iowa State 1219 412 T10th
200203 Iowa State 1714 511 T9th NIT 2nd Round
Iowa State: 10159 4238

He would've got canned, and not for being a bad coach.

North Hollywood, CA

#159 Nov 2, 2013
Dave P wrote:
The females here seem to be missing one point- firing a head coach in the middle of a football season isn't a routine thing. For being a losing coach, 99% of the time being fired for that occurs after the season is over.
If Pelini was doing a horrible job at coaching, he was gone at year's end. To be fired mid-season is absolutely for being at a social event where weed was being used.
Come on, you'd have to fire everybody at the university.
He wasn't even accused of smoking pot, just being in the same event with people who were.
If it wasn't for his record...it was for some political going ons at the school.

And weed should be legal.
Dave P

Morehead, KY

#160 Nov 2, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on, you'd have to fire everybody at the university.
He wasn't even accused of smoking pot, just being in the same event with people who were.
If it wasn't for his record...it was for some political going ons at the school.
And weed should be legal.
Don't care at this point if it should be legal or not. Simple fact is that coaches don't get fired in midseason without mitigating circumstances. That school isn't a football powerhouse, losing isn't that big a deal midway through his second season.

He didn't have to smoke, just being a public figure, the football coach, a lot of ways the face of the school- to be seen in such a place where weed would be smoked is enough to warrant disciplinary action or termination. That will continue to be so, regardless of what we personally think or how many liberal states legalize marijuana. Weed will always have the loser stoner connotations that alcohol will not. Being an alcoholic or heavy drinker brings the same connotations.

Weed will never be accepted by the professionals at the top of their industries and fields; leaders of educational institutions, etc. Those 60's flower children will die off, just like the greatest generation has.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bassett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Catholics (Feb '14) 3 hr Bobby 1,700
gay marriage in martinsville va Wed Bobby 42
0527061598.Dubai Massage Services, Body to Body... Tue sexy girls 3
Have Johnny Robertson and his COC been defeated? (Jan '13) Oct 12 Funny 333
Johnny Robertson (Oct '12) Oct 2 Ernie 124
How can i get a copy of my background check? (Nov '13) Sep 29 Louis Hawkins 3
Indictments issued Sep 26 shannonsmith 1
Bassett Dating
Find my Match

Bassett Jobs