Comments
121 - 140 of 193 Comments Last updated Nov 12, 2013
William

Opelika, AL

#121 Oct 11, 2013
killedjoe wrote:
<quoted text> It would be handle the same way of drinking on the job. You have only one change. Go to a rehap or get fired.
Bingo.

One chance, maybe.

Since: Jul 12

Oceana, WV

#122 Oct 11, 2013
How do you prove that a person is drinking on the job?
William

Opelika, AL

#123 Oct 11, 2013
Unless they are drink vodka, you can smell it on them.
William

Opelika, AL

#124 Oct 11, 2013
Vodka has no odor. At least the best brands don't.

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#125 Oct 11, 2013
Awesome_Steve_Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
She didn't graduate - she couldn't pass her drug "test".
I'd tell them that unless they are really thirsty, I'm not peeing in a cup for them.

Santa Monica, CA

#126 Oct 11, 2013
pearl wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, I see that reputation as a drug addict has really had an affect on Rush Limbaugh and his ability to earn a living or have a following. Or is it okay to be a drug addict if your drug dealer is a doctor?
Great point.
pearl wrote:
You just don't hear Rush being referred to as a drug addict, guess lifetime reputations only last so long. And ya know the drinking problem George Bush, the fortunate son, has admitted to sure didn't limit his rise to the top. Or is it just "street drug" that lead to this terrible lifetime reputation? I don't see anyone headlines about Obama or Clinton being drug addicts, do you think maybe they really didn't inhale?
I call Rush an opium addict.

Santa Monica, CA

#127 Oct 12, 2013
<quoted text>
Aw, it was implied but it's nice to hear someone say it. I love you too, pearl. Let me just wipe away this lil' tear.. Love for everyone, pass it on.
However, I will argue that you are playing on my emotions and confusing the issue - should weed be LEGAL? Obviously, many people use weed even though it it illegal - some responsibly, some ridiculously - I genuinely believe that a law that allows everyone to smoke weed will only harm our society.
You think locking people up in jail longer for having some weed than for murder is good for society?
I know the legitimate arguments of the benefits of weed use - I was a little amused that they hadn't been clearly listed on this thread - but my thoughts are: I think that increased drug use is NOT good advice to send to our society right here and right now - our people need to be alert and aware of what is happening so that they can control their circumstances and save themselves from our very scary future.
Why do you assume legalizing weed will lead to more use? Can you find me anybody who is yearning to smoke weed, but doesn't do it because it's illegal?
Some would argue (drs even) that our individuals are correct to feel like they need to be sedated - our current events are making us all so angry and upset, out-of-control, worried, fearful. You know that the calming effects of marijuana can be prescribed and legally consumed with anti-depressants, mood stabilizers, nerve pills - not as good! you might say, but legal at least. My argument is: don't sedate yourself!
Who says everybody who smokes weed is sedated all the time?
Don't smoke the weed OR take the drugs (but do not stop taking your prescribed drugs without dr permission). Embrace the idea that you do not need to be sedated.
My actual question was: how can you reprimand an employee for marijuana use if it is a legal substance? I'm not saying that employers SHOULD, I just wonder if they COULD.
Can they reprimand an employee for coming in late? Coming in drunk? Not wearing the uniform?

Oceana, WV

#128 Oct 12, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
You think locking people up in jail longer for having some weed than for murder is good for society?
No, I do not, but that is a different issue. Sentencing should suit the crime - if you are concerned that marijuana possession sentences are too harsh, maybe you should adopt sentencing reform as your cause of choice. You are suggesting that we legalize something that our courts must view as worse than murder. I have known many people who have received a ticket and a fine for possessing a personal amount of marijuana, but never any sentenced for life or even years - it's usually the more serious crimes they are simultaneously committing that lands them in jail.
Rose_NoHo wrote:
Why do you assume legalizing weed will lead to more use? Can you find me anybody who is yearning to smoke weed, but doesn't do it because it's illegal?
YES! Many.
Rose_NoHo wrote:
Who says everybody who smokes weed is sedated all the time?
I did not say that - are you arguing that weed does not sedate you? I was suggesting that weed encourages the user to indulge in a fantasy reality as an escape from actual reality. It's a recurring pattern - instead of facing challenges, a user ignores his troubles with weed rather than handling them. It is an attitude of indifference and procrastination.
Rose_NoHo wrote:
Can they reprimand an employee for coming in late? Coming in drunk? Not wearing the uniform?
OK - if a person comes to work with the red eyes and smelling like a skunk - I understand they can be "called out" for being high at work.

However, suppose that never happens, instead that employee is randomly drug tested. Suppose that test indicated that the person had used weed within the past month. Would an employer be able to use those test results to reprimand an employee if weed were legal?

If a person was hurt on the job, would workman comp. benefits be withheld if weed were detected - even though it could have been used weeks before?

Santa Monica, CA

#129 Oct 13, 2013
<quoted text>
No, I do not, but that is a different issue. Sentencing should suit the crime - if you are concerned that marijuana possession sentences are too harsh, maybe you should adopt sentencing reform as your cause of choice. You are suggesting that we legalize something that our courts must view as worse than murder. I have known many people who have received a ticket and a fine for possessing a personal amount of marijuana, but never any sentenced for life or even years - it's usually the more serious crimes they are simultaneously committing that lands them in jail.
Well, some people end up in jail.
Some for long, long periods of time.

That's the reality.
YES! Many.
<quoted text>
I did not say that - are you arguing that weed does not sedate you? I was suggesting that weed encourages the user to indulge in a fantasy reality as an escape from actual reality. It's a recurring pattern - instead of facing challenges, a user ignores his troubles with weed rather than handling them. It is an attitude of indifference and procrastination.
Seems like that should be a person's choice, not the government's.
OK - if a person comes to work with the red eyes and smelling like a skunk - I understand they can be "called out" for being high at work.
However, suppose that never happens, instead that employee is randomly drug tested. Suppose that test indicated that the person had used weed within the past month. Would an employer be able to use those test results to reprimand an employee if weed were legal?
If a person was hurt on the job, would workman comp. benefits be withheld if weed were detected - even though it could have been used weeks before?
What difference does it make? Those aren't good reasons to put people in jail for having some pot longer than for murder.
An employer can reprimand an employee for being late, nothing illegal about being late. And BFD if someone had used weed within the past month. Really none of the employer's business unless they are paying the employee for every hour of that past month.
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#130 Oct 13, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, some people end up in jail.
Some for long, long periods of time.
That's the reality.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
What difference does it make? Those aren't good reasons to put people in jail for having some pot longer than for murder.
An employer can reprimand an employee for being late, nothing illegal about being late. And BFD if someone had used weed within the past month. Really none of the employer's business unless they are paying the employee for every hour of that past month.
You would be the first one to sue my company out of business if a driver of ours killed one your family members in an accident and tested positive for any substance.

You are completely ignorant of the subject.

Just keep being high and drawing your government assistance or working for McDonalds. We need people to fix our hamburgers.
William

Atlanta, GA

#131 Oct 13, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
You would be the first one to sue my company out of business if a driver of ours killed one your family members in an accident and tested positive for any substance.
Bingo.

Trial lawyers love these kinds of events. Billboards all over Alabama will attest to it.

"Wrongful death? Call Alex!"

Oceana, WV

#132 Oct 13, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
Well, some people end up in jail.Some for long, long periods of time. That's the reality.
I will not argue with your statement - certainly SOME people end up in jail for long periods of time. That IS reality.

However, if you are going to continue to argue that people go to jail longer for possessing or using marijuana than murdering, you really need to site your source, because I, for one, have never heard of such a thing. I googled a few 10 year sentences, but each one mentioned distribution, not only possession.
Rose_NoHo wrote:
It actually is your choice - many people smoke weed regardless of laws against it. However, no fair whining about the sentence when you knowingly broke the law - do the crime, do the time. Certainly there is a movement to have marijuana legalized, you are not alone with your opinion - but harsh sentences are not a reason to legalize something. Child molesters do not like going to jail either, that doesn't mean we should legalize molesting.
Rose_NoHo wrote:
Again, I think you are referring to cases of drug dealing or growing plants for distribution. You know, even if marijuana became legal, it would still be illegal to sell it to your friends or to grow more than a single person could consume.

Again, I'm looking forward to reading that story of the person sentenced to more years than murderers just for possessing weed.
Rose_NoHo wrote:
Can your employer reprimand you for being late to church? Being late to pick up your kid? Coming home late on Sat. night?

That is my point - how can an employer reprimand you for what you are doing on your own time? The common way to prove marijuana use is a urine test that covers a month long time period. NOW, it can be used because weed is illegal and anyone who agrees and submits to a drug test has agreed not to partake in ILLEGAL substances - even when they are away from work. I am suggesting that a urine test that detects marijuana use could not be used by employers to reprimand employees IF weed were legal.

Santa Monica, CA

#133 Oct 13, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
Try to stick to the subject.
That's not a good reason to put people in jail longer for owning pot than they are put in jail for murder.
Drivers who are, for any reason, incapable of driving safely should not drive.
But as I said, that's a different subject, the issue is "Should people be put in jail for having some pot?", not, "Is it a good idea to drive stoned?".
Mike Peterson wrote:
You are completely ignorant of the subject.
Just keep being high and drawing your government assistance or working for McDonalds. We need people to fix our hamburgers.
That's not what I do, but,
I think all honest work is honorable.
Why don't you?
What do you do that makes you feel so high and mighty?
Or do you just have a small member?

Santa Monica, CA

#134 Oct 13, 2013
<quoted text>
I will not argue with your statement - certainly SOME people end up in jail for long periods of time. That IS reality.
And NOBODY should spend ANY time in jail for owning, using or selling pot. Those activities should be legal.
However, if you are going to continue to argue that people go to jail longer for possessing or using marijuana than murdering, you really need to site your source, because I, for one, have never heard of such a thing. I googled a few 10 year sentences, but each one mentioned distribution, not only possession.
OK, some people are also spending more time in jail for distributing marijuana than for murder. You're OK with that?
It actually is your choice - many people smoke weed regardless of laws against it.
You are playing word games, and playing them poorly.
The government should have no say.
However, no fair whining about the sentence when you knowingly broke the law - do the crime, do the time. Certainly there is a movement to have marijuana legalized, you are not alone with your opinion - but harsh sentences are not a reason to legalize something. Child molesters do not like going to jail either, that doesn't mean we should legalize molesting.
Are you playing stupid, or not playing?
Child molesters have victims. It's wrong to molest a child.
Children are hurt by molestations.
There should be a law against child molestation.

There is nothing wrong with using pot, it's a victimless "crime".
There should be no law against using pot.
Again, I think you are referring to cases of drug dealing or growing plants for distribution.
You have no problem with people spending more time in jail for growing a plant than for murdering someone!?
You know, even if marijuana became legal, it would still be illegal to sell it to your friends or to grow more than a single person could consume.
Those activities should be legal as well.
Again, I'm looking forward to reading that story of the person sentenced to more years than murderers just for possessing weed.
<quoted text>
Can your employer reprimand you for being late to church? Being late to pick up your kid? Coming home late on Sat. night?
Sure you're not on weed?
That is my point - how can an employer reprimand you for what you are doing on your own time?
LOL. Come on, you're joking.
The common way to prove marijuana use is a urine test that covers a month long time period. NOW, it can be used because weed is illegal and anyone who agrees and submits to a drug test has agreed not to partake in ILLEGAL substances - even when they are away from work. I am suggesting that a urine test that detects marijuana use could not be used by employers to reprimand employees IF weed were legal.
LOL. Yeah, you are joking. Thanks for the laugh!
What people do on their own time is not the employer's business.

Oceana, WV

#135 Oct 13, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
And NOBODY should spend ANY time in jail for owning, using or selling pot. Those activities should be legal.
That is your opinion, but it is not our actuality. As it is now, if you choose to own, use, or sell pot, you'll face the consequences if you are caught, whether you like them or not. If your goal is to change the law, you'll need to discuss this with people other than Topix posters. You're not gaining any supporters here.
Rose_NoHo wrote:
OK, some people are also spending more time in jail for distributing marijuana than for murder. You're OK with that?
People are receiving the sentences legally associated with their crimes - it's not any of my business. I have not studied crimes and sentences, so I can't say how fair they are, not that my opinion of it matters or changes anything.

I do know that marijuana laws are STATE laws, so they will be different wherever you live. If you are super passionate about smoking weed legally, you could move to Colorado or Washington were it IS legal. I know that some states have strict laws concerning weed, and others do not. You will have to research the laws and sentences associated with them to realistically continue arguing they are unfair.
Rose_NoHo wrote:
You are playing word games, and playing them poorly.
The government should have no say.
There have been no word games, that must have been your imagination.
The government DOES have a say - regardless of your opinion. How do you intend to change this?
Rose_NoHo wrote:
Are you playing stupid, or not playing?
Child molesters have victims. It's wrong to molest a child.
Children are hurt by molestations.
There should be a law against child molestation.
There is nothing wrong with using pot, it's a victimless "crime".
There should be no law against using pot.
Again, I am not playing with you - just talking to you.

What about that guy who stood outside his car smoking weed while his 3-month-old child dehydrated and DIED inside the car that the stoner was leaning against.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/23294249/20...

A 3 month old baby - there's a victim for you.
Rose_NoHo wrote:
You have no problem with people spending more time in jail for growing a plant than for murdering someone!?
I'm still waiting to read this article that tells of the people spending their lives in jail for possessing marijuana.

Here is a story that I couldn't find on the internet, but I saw play out in my town. A girl snorted some pain meds, passed out ON her week old daughter, smothering and killer her. That girl served 10 months in jail. So, if a person spends just one year in jail for possessing marijuana, technically you are correct, that is more time than our local spent for killing her child. BUT, I don't think the trouble is that the weed possession sentence was too hard - perhaps we should amend our sentences for murder.
Rose_NoHo wrote:
Those activities should be legal as well.
Why do you think you get to decide what should and should not be legal? The law has done that for you.
Rose_NoHo wrote:
Sure you're not on weed?
I am concerned that YOU are on weed. Stop doing drugs. You are harming yourself.
My goal here is not to change any laws, only to communicate with interested people. I want to convince you that weed does not deserve your support.
Rose_NoHo wrote:
LOL. Come on, you're joking.
Not joking.
Rose_NoHo wrote:
LOL. Yeah, you are joking. Thanks for the laugh!
What people do on their own time is not the employer's business.
Employers would disagree.

Santa Monica, CA

#136 Oct 13, 2013
<quoted text>
That is your opinion, but it is not our actuality.
The subject of the forum is: should "weed" be legal...
As it is now, if you choose to own, use, or sell pot, you'll face the consequences if you are caught, whether you like them or not. If your goal is to change the law, you'll need to discuss this with people other than Topix posters. You're not gaining any supporters here.
And you know this...how?

People are receiving the sentences legally associated with their crimes - it's not any of my business.
It's my business. That's why I'm posting in a forum called "should "weed" be legal".
I have not studied crimes and sentences, so I can't say how fair they are, not that my opinion of it matters or changes anything.
Instead of doing all that studying, you could just pull your head out of your backside.
I do know that marijuana laws are STATE laws, so they will be different wherever you live. If you are super passionate about smoking weed legally, you could move to Colorado or Washington were it IS legal.
It's all but legal in CA. For around $40 anybody can walk into a "pot doc" and get a recommendation, making their use of medical marijuana legal. And while it's still technically illegal to sell it, you can give people some pot for a "donation".:)
Look at http://www.weedmaps.com
I know that some states have strict laws concerning weed, and others do not. You will have to research the laws and sentences associated with them to realistically continue arguing they are unfair.
A law that punished people for using, owing or selling pot is unfair.
There have been no word games, that must have been your imagination.
The government DOES have a say - regardless of your opinion. How do you intend to change this?
Look at the topic of this forum.
Again, I am not playing with you - just talking to you.
What about that guy who stood outside his car smoking weed while his 3-month-old child dehydrated and DIED inside the car that the stoner was leaning against.
http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/23294249/20...
A 3 month old baby - there's a victim for you.
Fox News...anyway, correlation does not imply causation.
People do stupid things, both stoned and not.
Not a good reason to put people into jail for just owning pot.
I'm still waiting to read this article that tells of the people spending their lives in jail for possessing marijuana.
Look for one. I never said there was one.
A girl snorted some pain meds, passed out ON her week old daughter, smothering and killer her. That girl served 10 months in jail. So, if a person spends just one year in jail for possessing marijuana, technically you are correct, that is more time than our local spent for killing her child. BUT, I don't think the trouble is that the weed possession sentence was too hard - perhaps we should amend our sentences for murder.
<quoted text>
Why do you think you get to decide what should and should not be legal? The law has done that for you.
Again, look at the subject of the forum.
I am concerned that YOU are on weed. Stop doing drugs. You are harming yourself.
My goal here is not to change any laws, only to communicate with interested people. I want to convince you that weed does not deserve your support.
Well, you have failed at that. Think I'll go take a nice long drag...

to jimmy

Martinsville, VA

#137 Oct 23, 2013
jimmy crack corn prob got a fatty rolled up rigt now
to to jimmy crack corn

Bellefonte, PA

#138 Oct 23, 2013
You mean a fat donut? No, but I wish I had one! A nice hot Krispy Kreme plain donut with chocolate icing, and a big glass of ice cold 2% milk. That would really hit the spot right now.
Cable Guy

Charlottesville, VA

#139 Oct 26, 2013
sure do need weed for people in Martinsville cause yall some wack jobs with all this religious crap
William

Birmingham, AL

#140 Oct 31, 2013
What weed smoking will get you:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/faus-carl-pelini...

Adios to that fat salary, clown.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bassett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Catholics (Feb '14) 10 min Bobby 854
Is baptism essential to salvation (Nov '10) 20 min Bobby 244
The Origin of the Roman Catholic Church 10 hr Jimmy-Crack-Corn 147
Jesus' words only teaching, HRM (Sep '13) Thu Curious 63
Signing off ... for now Aug 26 Barnsweb 512
Where did the CoC cowards go? Aug 23 Jimmy Crack Corn 2
Debate: Ferguson - Martinsville, VA Aug 22 Barnsweb 8
•••
•••
•••