First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#310 Oct 30, 2013
http://www.olrl.org/apologetics/one_church.sh...

From a Father Damon in the 1800s

Here are few excerpts.

"But if Christ, my dearly beloved people, commands me under pain of eternal damnation to believe all that He has taught, He must give me the means to know what He has taught.

If, therefore, Christ commands me upon pain of eternal damnation, He is bound to give me the means of knowing what He has taught. And the means Christ gives us of knowing this must have been at all times within the reach of all people.

Secondly, the means that God gives us to know what He has taught must be a means adapted to the capacities of all intellects -- even the dullest. For even those of the dullest of understandings have a right to salvation, and consequently they have a right to the means whereby they shall learn the truths that God has taught, that they may believe them and be saved.

The means that God gives us to know what he has taught must be an infallible means. For if it be a means that can lead us astray , it can be no means at all. It must be an infallible means, so that if a man makes use of that means, he will infallibly, without fear of mistake or error, be brought to a knowledge of all the truths that God has taught.

I don't think there can be anyone present here -- I care not what he is, a Christian or an unbeliever -- who can object to my premises. And these premises are the groundwork of my discourse and of all my reasoning, and therefore, I want you to bear them in mind. I will repeat them, for on these premises rests all the strength of my discourse and reasoning.

If God commands me under pain of eternal damnation to believe all that He has taught, He is bound to give me the means to know what He has taught. And the means that God gives me must have been at all times within the reach of all people- must be adapted to the capacities of all intellects, must be an infallible means to us, so that if a man makes use of it he will be brought to a knowledge of all the truths that God has taught.

For, my dear people, if God has intended that man should learn His (God's) religion from a book -- the Bible -- surely God would have given that book to man; Christ would have given that book to man. Did He do it? He did not. Christ sent His Apostles throughout the whole universe and said: "Go ye, therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost; teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you."

Christ did not say, "Sit down and write Bibles and scatter them over the earth, and let every man read his Bible and judge for himself." If Christ had said that, there would never have been a Christianity on the earth at all, but a Babylon and confusion instead, and never one Church, the union of one body. Hence, Christ never said to His Apostles, "Go and write Bibles and distribute them, and let everyone judge for himself." That injunction was reserved for the Sixteenth Century, and we have seen the result of it. Ever since the Sixteenth Century there have been springing up religion upon religion, and churches upon churches, all fighting and quarreling with one another. And all because of private interpretation of the Bible.
William

Alexander City, AL

#311 Oct 30, 2013
Better study. Final exam is coming.

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#312 Oct 30, 2013
William wrote:
Better study. Final exam is coming.
Cliff's Notes version: Sola Scriptura is not biblical and asinine.
William

Alexander City, AL

#313 Oct 30, 2013
Mike_Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
Cliff's Notes version: Sola Scriptura is not biblical and asinine.
You will have a chance to make your presentation for what you have learned.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bassett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Catholics (Feb '14) 10 hr Barnsweb 1,140
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) 19 hr gwsbadass 1,360
How can i get a copy of my background check? (Nov '13) Mon Louis Hawkins 3
Indictments issued Sep 26 shannonsmith 1
hottest girl (Jan '14) Sep 26 me fartwhistle 3
Why are ... Sep 25 satoshi 1
Sola fide? Sep 24 William 77

Bassett Jobs

Bassett People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Bassett News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Bassett

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]