First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Dave P

Lexington, KY

#41 Jul 8, 2013
Awesome_Steve_Monkey wrote:
Thanks, everyone, for your advice and ideas. Attending church may, for you, be an ordinary thing - but I have avoided entering ANY church for over a decade for ANY reason - no weddings, no holiday visits, no ceremonies - church offended me and I wouldn't consider attending under any circumstances. Chatting with you folks has reminded me that there were many things about church that I DID enjoy - I hadn't thought of those things for a long time.
When I mentioned visiting some churches to a few family members, they asked: WHY would you do that? I explained how we had been discussing the differences between denominations of Christian churches and the differences between Catholic and Protestant churches - I am simply very curious about all of these churches throughout our county. It was suggested that I should try to investigate churches without actually attending them as not to allow people to believe that I am interested in becoming a Christian.
Perhaps you should go and just tell them up front. I'm an atheist, but I'm interested in what you're doing and want to see the difference in all these places. Real Christian people wouldn't be offended or run you off. Tell them up front, they may not get their hopes up.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#42 Jul 9, 2013
<quoted text>
Wow - you have really over-estimated how ambitious I am to attend church. Technically, I suppose I DO attend Atheist church - right here, in my home, every Sunday morning.
Atheist meet on Sunday morning? That would conflict with you meeting with Christians.

Since: Jul 12

Oceana, WV

#43 Jul 9, 2013
Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you should go and just tell them up front. I'm an atheist, but I'm interested in what you're doing and want to see the difference in all these places. Real Christian people wouldn't be offended or run you off. Tell them up front, they may not get their hopes up.
Well, it has occurred to me that I might avoid explaining myself to anyone by visiting a church that I had not been invited to - for example, there is a Catholic Church in Pineville, I had no idea! These guys love the Catholic Church so much, you KNOW it has to be on my list of churches to check out. I am also interested to know which churches were responsible for the 10 Commandment monument - it seems to have been a coordinated effort. Do you know why I knew nothing about it until now? I don't go to church!

It has also been pointed out that there IS a lot of research I could do without ever stepping foot inside a church.

You are correct about being honest - its just that being silent is so much easier. I will consider being honest in the future - I'm not ready to stop being silent on the topic.

Except here on Topix. This is where I can express myself so I don't keep it bottled up inside, right?

Oceana, WV

#44 Jul 9, 2013
JustChristian wrote:
<quoted text>Atheist meet on Sunday morning? That would conflict with you meeting with Christians.
Right, this computer screen would miss me if I decided to spend my Sunday morning elsewhere.

Wait a minute! It is through this computer screen that I AM meeting with Christians. There's not much action on Topix during church time, I can attest to that.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#46 Jul 10, 2013
<quoted text>
Right, this computer screen would miss me if I decided to spend my Sunday morning elsewhere.
Wait a minute! It is through this computer screen that I AM meeting with Christians. There's not much action on Topix during church time, I can attest to that.
Topix is not the church or worship.

Oceana, WV

#48 Jul 10, 2013
JustChristian wrote:
<quoted text>
Topix is not the church or worship.
Aren't these Christians witnessing to me? Isn't that God's work? Aren't people who act on behalf of God actually his "church"? These Christians have been taking me to church!

Its OK - I would have left if I didn't like it.

I thought is was a weak argument when someone suggested that Christians would be forced to go "underground". What's wrong, Christians? Not up to the challenge? If your service to God is stuck inside a building, you have somehow missed the point of it all.

Oceana, WV

#49 Jul 10, 2013
gertle wrote:
youtube.com/watch?v=C8pAI7Ca3V E ……
Church is Hell,No! dont go
Thanx for the warning.
Dave P

Nicholasville, KY

#50 Jul 10, 2013
<quoted text>
Aren't these Christians witnessing to me? Isn't that God's work? Aren't people who act on behalf of God actually his "church"? These Christians have been taking me to church!
Its OK - I would have left if I didn't like it.
I thought is was a weak argument when someone suggested that Christians would be forced to go "underground". What's wrong, Christians? Not up to the challenge? If your service to God is stuck inside a building, you have somehow missed the point of it all.
The church of Christ is very much centered on the "worship" of God inside their temple- the church building. Don't do the right things in the temple, you lose.

Oceana, WV

#51 Jul 10, 2013
Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
The church of Christ is very much centered on the "worship" of God inside their temple- the church building. Don't do the right things in the temple, you lose.
What if.. it DID suddenly become a crime to go to church? Would Church of Christ members organize within their homes since their temple was no longer available?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bassett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Identifing the Early Church 9 min Bobby 406
“Thus Saith Johnny” (Jul '12) 1 hr Bobby 118
How to become a member of Orthodoxy 5 hr Jerry Taylor 1
THE BLOOD of JESUS CHRIST Dec 19 Chayei Olam 3
Catholics (Feb '14) Dec 17 Bobby 1,996
keith inman Dec 14 Salem Girl 1
Indictments issued Sep '14 shannonsmith 1
Bassett Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web