Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Prophet of Jesus Christ wrote:
I know you will not have the slightest clue to what I am warning you about...but never the less.
I was moved to tell you.
Prophets' favorite word- IDIOT- five times on this thread.
"I was moved to tell you"- did the Activia finally start working? Maybe you'll get in a better mood. Sheesh.

Since: Jul 12

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2013

Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that why you call yourself an Atheist? To get attention?
Just the opposite, actually, I post on Topix to get attention. I have been able to express some of my unpopular ideas here, since I don't necessarily express them to my Christian friends.

I call myself an Atheist because I do not believe in God. I disagree with some of the ideas the Bible teaches, but since I am an Atheist, I don't feel obliged to follow the Bible unless I choose to.

There are LOTS of churches throughout this county - I have been invited to many. Until recently, I genuinely had no interest in attending any of them.

These conversations I've been having on Topix have been VERY interesting to me. I was only assuming what Christians think and do based on my previous experience of being a Christian. That's a limited viewpoint and a DATED one, since it has been many years since I even tried to be a Christian or attended church with any sincerity.

I know that my peers will imagine that I am being moved by the Holy Spirit to attend church. I know that I am actually moved by curiosity to attend church - a variety of churches - so that I can make a personal comparison and assessment of them. The simple fact that I was interested enough to visit a church would be very pleasing to some people - others will be suspicious that I am up to something. I AM up to something - I want to know what these churches are doing.

Would it be wrong for me to visit my friends' churches for the sake of my own curiosity?*BONUS* It would make some certain people that I care about SO happy - and later very disappointed if I do not break down and become a Christian. Would I be jerking around my friends' emotions for my own entertainment?
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2013

Awesome_Steve_Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
Just the opposite, actually, I post on Topix to get attention. I have been able to express some of my unpopular ideas here, since I don't necessarily express them to my Christian friends.
I call myself an Atheist because I do not believe in God. I disagree with some of the ideas the Bible teaches, but since I am an Atheist, I don't feel obliged to follow the Bible unless I choose to.
There are LOTS of churches throughout this county - I have been invited to many. Until recently, I genuinely had no interest in attending any of them.
These conversations I've been having on Topix have been VERY interesting to me. I was only assuming what Christians think and do based on my previous experience of being a Christian. That's a limited viewpoint and a DATED one, since it has been many years since I even tried to be a Christian or attended church with any sincerity.
I know that my peers will imagine that I am being moved by the Holy Spirit to attend church. I know that I am actually moved by curiosity to attend church - a variety of churches - so that I can make a personal comparison and assessment of them. The simple fact that I was interested enough to visit a church would be very pleasing to some people - others will be suspicious that I am up to something. I AM up to something - I want to know what these churches are doing.
Would it be wrong for me to visit my friends' churches for the sake of my own curiosity?*BONUS* It would make some certain people that I care about SO happy - and later very disappointed if I do not break down and become a Christian. Would I be jerking around my friends' emotions for my own entertainment?
If you are atheist you would not have an interest in Church or you could watch it on TV.

Didn't you say you use to go to Church?

I think you just enjoy the attention. "All my Christian friends pray about me". "I would be the talk of the town, if I went to Church"

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2013

Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are atheist you would not have an interest in Church or you could watch it on TV.
Didn't you say you use to go to Church?
I think you just enjoy the attention. "All my Christian friends pray about me". "I would be the talk of the town, if I went to Church"
If those are your true feelings, I would suggest that you are misjudging me. I specifically do NOT discuss the topics that I have been discussing in these forums BECAUSE it would bring on unwanted negative attention. Do my family and friends pray for me? I'm certain they do - not because it is their jobs as Christians OR because I asked anyone to pray - but because they genuinely care for the salvation of my soul.

I could have taken my queries or concerns to any of my friends - or simply looked up a million answers on the internet, or TV, like you said. When I pelted this audience with them, it WAS truly to draw attention and engage people in conversation - the conversations that would lead to more ideas and more questions. I THOUGHT that was the point of Topix - to express yourself and discuss your ideas with others - to learn about people by reading what they write.

If my only goal was attention, I could have interrupted your on-going discussions of the Bible and church with any assortment of unpopular comments. I chose to draw attention by creating new discussions or at least sticking to discussions of opinion rather than Bible verse interpretation arguments. It would be easy for anyone to continue their Topix experience as it was before I arrived by simply avoiding the discussions I take part in. I took care not to disrupt your discussions.

The attention that I would draw by suddenly attending church would be unwanted by me. I would be foolish to not prepare myself to take on the questions and discussions about it, as if I didn't expect to be approached by anyone who wanted to see first hand how God will be changing my life. It will be difficult to be honest with these people, especially if the truth is not what they want to hear: such as, I still don't believe in God.

I am perfectly aware that any Atheist can attend church - some do. I am wondering if I can attend church while remaining honest with myself and others. I rank honesty over religious beliefs any day.

How WOULD you label a person who does not believe in God, but is interested in attending church? This is not nearly as uncommon as you make it seem.

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2013

Prophet of Jesus Christ wrote:
You already unknown and unaware to you have spirits petitioning God and Satan for their desires of you.

Like I said...you are a idiot.
What would you call a person who perceives everyone except himself an idiot? Google says..

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/egotistical

egotistical - characteristic of false pride; having an exaggerated sense of self-importance

https://www.google.com/search...

ar·ro·gant Having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.

Also.. haughty - proud - conceited - supercilious - lofty
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

<quoted text>
If those are your true feelings, I would suggest that you are misjudging me. I specifically do NOT discuss the topics that I have been discussing in these forums BECAUSE it would bring on unwanted negative attention. Do my family and friends pray for me? I'm certain they do - not because it is their jobs as Christians OR because I asked anyone to pray - but because they genuinely care for the salvation of my soul.
I could have taken my queries or concerns to any of my friends - or simply looked up a million answers on the internet, or TV, like you said. When I pelted this audience with them, it WAS truly to draw attention and engage people in conversation - the conversations that would lead to more ideas and more questions. I THOUGHT that was the point of Topix - to express yourself and discuss your ideas with others - to learn about people by reading what they write.
If my only goal was attention, I could have interrupted your on-going discussions of the Bible and church with any assortment of unpopular comments. I chose to draw attention by creating new discussions or at least sticking to discussions of opinion rather than Bible verse interpretation arguments. It would be easy for anyone to continue their Topix experience as it was before I arrived by simply avoiding the discussions I take part in. I took care not to disrupt your discussions.
The attention that I would draw by suddenly attending church would be unwanted by me. I would be foolish to not prepare myself to take on the questions and discussions about it, as if I didn't expect to be approached by anyone who wanted to see first hand how God will be changing my life. It will be difficult to be honest with these people, especially if the truth is not what they want to hear: such as, I still don't believe in God.
I am perfectly aware that any Atheist can attend church - some do. I am wondering if I can attend church while remaining honest with myself and others. I rank honesty over religious beliefs any day.
How WOULD you label a person who does not believe in God, but is interested in attending church? This is not nearly as uncommon as you make it seem.
You wanted attention when you first posted.

You rank honesty high?

You lied about who you were. Are you lying now?

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

Mike Peterson wrote:
You wanted attention when you first posted.
Yes, I did and I still do since talking to myself on Topix eventually grows old. When you post on Topix, do you expect anyone to read it? It seems as if we are both enjoying the attention.
Mike Peterson wrote:
You rank honesty high?
"Honesty is such a lonely word
Everyone is so untrue
Honesty is hardly ever heard
And mostly what I need from you" Billy Joel
Mike Peterson wrote:
You lied about who you were. Are you lying now?
Yes and No. If you are judging my profile to be an honest representation of myself, I am afraid you ARE being misled. I will be honest with you right NOW by explaining that my name is NOT actually Awesome_Steve_Monkey and I am, in fact, NOT a monkey who wears glasses.

I will assume that your name IS actually Mike Peterson, but I generally advise people NOT to use their real names on Topix because it could make you vulnerable to harassment. This is why I do not share this information about myself.
William

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

ASM, trust Jesus Christ as your savior, but don't go to any so-called church. You would only end up following someone else's "rules."

Rock on.
R-oman C-atholic SPROUL

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

Should you decide to visit a church I hope you will read the Catholic posts and the defense of their faith(or lack of)when making your decision. Choose wisely with God as your only consideration.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

R-oman C-atholic SPROUL wrote:
Should you decide to visit a church I hope you will read the Catholic posts and the defense of their faith(or lack of)when making your decision. Choose wisely with God as your only consideration.
Many years ago, we decided to look for a new church. Our plan was to visit all of those churches that we would not ordinarily consider. We did that for about 1 year, the good part is that I actually have some experiences with other churches and what they believe. Yes, choose wisely.
William

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

"He chose ... poorly."
Dave P

Sioux City, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

"Don't take the grail beyond the great seal. That is the price of immortality."

I like playing movie quotes with William.
Mike Peterson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
Many years ago, we decided to look for a new church. Our plan was to visit all of those churches that we would not ordinarily consider. We did that for about 1 year, the good part is that I actually have some experiences with other churches and what they believe. Yes, choose wisely.
Shop around for Church. Make sure it has a nice parking lot with easy access. Forget about pews, rocker theater style chairs with cup holders for you coffee are a must. The Church should have a coffee shop and a smoke machine. Make sure the times of service lets you sleep as late as possible. Some offer valet parking now. Something to check out too.

Oh yeah dont worry there are hundreds down the street if you don't like that one.

You can believe what you want too anyway.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
Shop around for Church. Make sure it has a nice parking lot with easy access. Forget about pews, rocker theater style chairs with cup holders for you coffee are a must. The Church should have a coffee shop and a smoke machine. Make sure the times of service lets you sleep as late as possible. Some offer valet parking now. Something to check out too.
Oh yeah don't worry there are hundreds down the street if you don't like that one.
You can believe what you want too anyway.
I would not know about that, have you been to churches like that:-)

Yes we do have a choice to believe what we want to-I choose to believe that Jesus is the son of God and that the scripture is all I need to become a christian. salvation by faith requires something. I can't be born in a church and automatically be a christian, I have some responsibilities expected of me-the pope the priest mary, none of them can believe for me.

But don't worry as long as you believe in catholic tradition maybe your baptism will save you.
Mike Peterson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
I would not know about that, have you been to churches like that:-)
Yes we do have a choice to believe what we want to-I choose to believe that Jesus is the son of God and that the scripture is all I need to become a christian. salvation by faith requires something. I can't be born in a church and automatically be a christian, I have some responsibilities expected of me-the pope the priest mary, none of them can believe for me.
But don't worry as long as you believe in catholic tradition maybe your baptism will save you.
I was saved. I am being saved. I hope to be saved. Direct from the Bible.

Low church Prots. You never did give me what you call the children in your Church.

Philemon 2:1 "Thou shalt keep your children as pagans until they reach the age of accountability."
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
I was saved. I am being saved. I hope to be saved. Direct from the Bible.
Low church Prots. You never did give me what you call the children in your Church.
Philemon 2:1 "Thou shalt keep your children as pagans until they reach the age of accountability."
I do not recall a ch 2, I believe that is the shortest book in the bible. However you cannot find in the scripture where sprinkling a baby saves them. Well maybe it it can be found in the book of Mike, I have not read that.
pearl

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
Prophets' favorite word- IDIOT- five times on this thread.
"I was moved to tell you"- did the Activia finally start working? Maybe you'll get in a better mood. Sheesh.
And it's always posted as a idiot, never an idiot. It's strange that the "prophet" expects to be taken seriously.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Even though I'm an Atheist?
What about starting an Atheist church?

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Thanks, everyone, for your advice and ideas. Attending church may, for you, be an ordinary thing - but I have avoided entering ANY church for over a decade for ANY reason - no weddings, no holiday visits, no ceremonies - church offended me and I wouldn't consider attending under any circumstances. Chatting with you folks has reminded me that there were many things about church that I DID enjoy - I hadn't thought of those things for a long time.

When I mentioned visiting some churches to a few family members, they asked: WHY would you do that? I explained how we had been discussing the differences between denominations of Christian churches and the differences between Catholic and Protestant churches - I am simply very curious about all of these churches throughout our county. It was suggested that I should try to investigate churches without actually attending them as not to allow people to believe that I am interested in becoming a Christian.

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

JustChristian wrote:
<quoted text>
What about starting an Atheist church?
Wow - you have really over-estimated how ambitious I am to attend church. Technically, I suppose I DO attend Atheist church - right here, in my home, every Sunday morning.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of49
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Bassett Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Bassett People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••