Possible Jury Misconduct could Lead a Judge to Declare Mistrial Pet...

Full story: WTVR

CBS 6 is uncovering more information on the possible jury misconduct in the civil trial of police officer involved in a deadly chase.
Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Apr 15, 2011
olz

Colonial Heights, VA

#1 Sep 28, 2010
TNB

Since: Sep 10

Richmond, VA

#2 Sep 30, 2010
What is happening to the moral & ethical thread of our society? Can anyone get a fair trial? Maybe it's time to consider a more rigid screening of jurors to include a background check. It's done for childcare providers... If the judges on these cases would start enforcing penalties already in place maybe we could have a little more hope for the future.
tired citizen

Colonial Heights, VA

#3 Feb 10, 2011
the way to do this right is to bar judges from being a lawyer, they are all crooks who prey on the mysery of others. never have i seen a judge come to a sick persons poor home with a meal for them , name me one, yeah right
McGuire

Detroit, MI

#4 Apr 15, 2011
Sports shows that morals and ethics in our society waved bye-bye long ago. Athletes are allowed to use steroids at all levels. And coaches are allowed to cheat to help their own sons.
Desnyder

Detroit, MI

#5 Apr 15, 2011
Let me give you an example.

Some relatives of mine in a small town called Marine City, Michigan played on the school football team.

There was an African American player that had qualified for the varsity team. This player was the only African American on the team. He was on the varsity team for four full years and was the first player in school history to EVER achieve such a thing.

As a junior this young African American player was listed as one of the Top 50 teams in Michigan and had been chosen All-State the year before.

When this season came to and end, all of this white teammates voted him as Team MVP...which obviously wasn't a surprise.

There is a local newspaper called the Times Herald. They have an award called Best Player in the Blue Water Area. This award has traditionally been earned by the best player in the area...But not this year.

Each team is allowed to select one nominee to be the candidate for Best Player in the Area. Rather than selecting the African American player that was voted Team MVP, the Marine City head football coach named Tony Scarcelli selected only his son, Anthony, as the nominee for Best Player in the Area!

The players went to him and basically said "Coach, we believe Jamel Abrams is the best player in the team."

But the Marine City coaches (all white, since Marine City is a racist town that does not employ a single African American in the school district) said that they didn't agree. A friend of my son said he specifically heard one of those MC coaches say he would never look at a trophy like that with a picture of a "n-word" on it...But he didn't say "n-word" he actually said the full n-word.

The MC coaches nominated the coaches son for that award instead of the African American that deserved to be nominated.

But there was still an even better player in the area. He attended a school called Croswell-Lexington. He had by far the most impressive statsistics of any player in the area. This player definitely should have won the award for Best Player in the Area. But he didn't.

In the online poll the newspaper conducted, the Marine City's coaches son was only ranked as the #8 best player in the area by voters. This wasn't a surprise, since he wasn't even voted as Team MVP on Offense or Team MVP on Defense by his 2010 teammates.

What was shocking was that this Marine City player -- the coaches kid -- still was given that award for Best Player in the Blue Water Area, even though he was only #8 in online rankings and wasn't even Team MVP by his own teammates (the people that know best!).

So the question is "why" this happened.

The answer is because the editors of the Times Herald newspaper were biased. It was just a time to call in a favor from someone that had already done a favor for you. Here's what happened.

The Times Herald newspaper has a senior editor named Jim Whymer. He has a son named Joel that was recently hired by the East China school district that Marine City is a part of. This is one of the highest-paying school district in the state and has a reputation for not hiring employees unless they have References from current employees. This is the main method the school district uses to keep African Americans OUT of the school district, even when they have a Work History and Resume that has far better than younger less-experienced white employees that help out the football team.

Editor Jim Whymer was very thankful that Marine City coaches were willing to give References to his son Joel. This helped him get a great job that pays incredibly well. He was so thankful that he returned that favor by selecting his son Anthony Scarcelli as Best Player in the Area, even though he didn't deserve it and wasn't even Team MVP.

Mr. Whymer claims that it was his assistant Paul Costanzo that made the final selection. But if that is true it still isn't fair, since Costanzo covered MC more than any other school. He didn't personally see all the nominees of the award. This really is a shame.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baskerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) Aug 1 Time Flys 2,546
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) May '14 Nitty Gritty 1 1,356
VA Missing Va. Girl Alive, Man In Custody (Dec '10) Apr '14 Jim 1,433
Sabrina Humple (Feb '14) Feb '14 Yoyo 1
where do i go to get a free background check? (Nov '13) Dec '13 Will 2
Who do you support for U.S. House in Virginia (... (Oct '10) May '12 blah 136
Picking peaches trip planned Bowling, anyone? C... (May '11) May '11 lisa 1
•••
•••
•••

Baskerville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••