H gene Smith

Petaluma, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2009

My great grandfater operated the first store in Mapleton.I was born in 1932 in the same house his daughter (Kathern) and my mother (Marie) were born. I have a copy of the first newpaper ever published in Mapleton. His name was Wagner. His daughter (Kate) married a Jayne who was the station master PT&W rail station. He became the owner of a gen'l store and later a tavern owner. I attemed the two room school house & the church below. If interested contact me.. genegent@att.net

“Maplelton News:Stink? Stink?”

Since: May 07

Central Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2009

I currently live on Main street here in Mapleton and unlike many people here I think the towns history is interesting to know. Unfortunately the newest town board seems to have a problem with looking out for elderly , disabled, and folks that could really use a little more respect. Their newest waste of money is the road to nowhere as I like to call it. The newest subdivision cost over $30,000 for the town just to pave. Seems like the money could have been used in a more resourceful way.
Geme Smith

Petaluma, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2009

I am sorry to hear about the current state of affairs in Mapleton. When I lived there ...1932 -
1949 there really wasnt any formal govering body.
As I recall the only formal group was the school leaders..(board for the two room school). Have some earily pictures of kids in that school . Attended for eight years with the same eight classmates. Some of there last names were. Umholtz, Walker, Calhone, Astel, Sutton, Sharp etc Most of the folks worked at Cat during the war or at Keston Wire .....Well enough if I can ever help in your cause....or other early Mapletonites are around dont mind hearing from them..etc. Good ole days........gene

Central Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2010

Geme Smith wrote:
I am sorry to hear about the current state of affairs in Mapleton. When I lived there ...1932 -
1949 there really wasnt any formal govering body.
As I recall the only formal group was the school leaders..(board for the two room school). Have some earily pictures of kids in that school . Attended for eight years with the same eight classmates. Some of there last names were. Umholtz, Walker, Calhone, Astel, Sutton, Sharp etc Most of the folks worked at Cat during the war or at Keston Wire .....Well enough if I can ever help in your cause....or other early Mapletonites are around dont mind hearing from them..etc. Good ole days........gene
Ruthie Aslte is the only Astle I know of still alive and we go to church together. She lives in the same house she grew up in.
Betty Calhoun is still living and her son Phillip lives down the street here from me. I know Umholtz is still around but not sure what names are.........
Gene

Petaluma, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2010

Know Ruth..... she use to me ride part way to Pekin Hi School on her way to work. Here brother Paul was a friend and a year or two older than I... Their father was a painter at Cat and was a good friend of my fathers. His earily death I do remember. Have memories of Ruth's home located at the bottom. At one time had a nice sun room facing the street. Please say hello from me.
Oh were did it all go so fast......lol

Central Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2010

I will definitely say hi for you....I bet the ole house is still the same because there is a front and side porch
As far as I know Paul is who mows her grass for her but I ain't sure if he is still in good enough health or not
Ken oedewalt is the mayor
Did you know any Defreitas or haynes?
gene smith

Petaluma, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2010

Knew the Haynes ...two boys older than I and think there was two girls. none in my class....beleive Mrs. Hanyes was sister to Mrs. Humholtz.... knew there kids...... Jessie was a classmate.. Oldest son married a Walker...... Thank you for answer..Oedewalt is a name I recall. You have jogged my memory....guess will have to look at old notes and catch up.... There were the Sharps... two kids went to school with Kenny and Vernel There parents where Jack and Norma.??? Dr. Egin lived in Mapleton....delelivered me and my mother in that same old house with the front screen porch and the back side one... sold it to a Scott...think his daughter moved into it about late 80s lol enough old time stuff.... good to hear back from someone.cheers gene

Central Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2010

Ruthie said she remembered you because you had a brother and lived up on First street I guess but she couldn't remember the school house with the church below it.
Carol Blandin is younger than her but she lives out on Rothslingberger rd I think. It is off Cameron lane. She was one of the last three members at the old Mapleton Bible church next to the firehouse that they ended up donating to our church which was a school house for a bit before becoming our fellowship hall for our new church.
right next to it.
Harold Scott lived in one house and his granddaughter next to it with a drive between the two houses that turned into the alley that runs behind my house. Harold passed away about some 7 years back I believe but one of his grand daughters still lives in the house next to it. Her sister tracy was living there but Jodi and her husband John Larson live there now with a son who is about 11.
Doc Hampton passed away after him and Alice and Larry Daily bought his apartments down on old 24 plus Betty Calhouns place down on the corner of main and maple before you go up the hill.
Bill Pulliam lives on down across from the post office which is now up for sale with the lot next to it which used to have a old green shingle sided house on it but it ended up getting torn down too. Their askin $70,000 for the two lots and the post office.
Joe haynes used to live down the street here from me next to what used to be one of the school houses but now it is the Rec Center which is owned by the Park District. Anyways Joe passed away bout 6 or seven years back but Daphna is still livin there yet.
Need info

Pekin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2010

I came to the mapleton forum in hopes I could find out information about the Sutton Family. I noticed H gene Smith mention the last name. My Dad was Lem Sutton he was born in 1933 and passed in 05. He never really talked about his childhood I heard bits and pieces growing up so I know the kids had it rough. I didnt come along until the 70's so I never met my grandparents i'd like to pick your brain if I could. Did I have great parents in mapleton? When I go to my dads grave out at mapleridge cemetery There are a large number of old graves out there with sutton tombstones. Just curious any info would be appreciated.
H Gene Smith

Petaluma, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2010

Msg. to need info concerning Lem Sutton.. Yes I knew him and sent a reply directly to you... Have not heard back hope you received it. Left direct contact information.... Unsure how this thing works so reason for responding again.... Cheers to all Gene
mike

Peoria, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2012

do either of you remember any Cowsers? this is my grandfathers family and he has eight brothers and sisters..many of my relatives are buried in Mapletons cemetary but just curious as to if any where from Mapleton or if either of you knew them?
gary scott

Peoria, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

H gene Smith wrote:
My great grandfater operated the first store in Mapleton.I was born in 1932 in the same house his daughter (Kathern) and my mother (Marie) were born. I have a copy of the first newpaper ever published in Mapleton. His name was Wagner. His daughter (Kate) married a Jayne who was the station master PT&W rail station. He became the owner of a gen'l store and later a tavern owner. I attemed the two room school house & the church below. If interested contact me.. genegent@att.net
i lived next door to kate and bill when i was growing up, is son howard and wife lived with them remember them well, my niece lives in the there house. i also went to the 2 room school house until the 3rd grade and also my 6th 7th and 8th grade, you probably new my dad harold scott. thought you might enjoy

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 12 of12
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Bartonville Discussions

Search the Bartonville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 46 min newpoly 1,834
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr KiMare 48,702
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 21 hr newpoly 3,820
Lisa Conn Murder (Feb '13) Sat Jay 8
IL Who do you support for Attorney General in Illi... (Oct '10) Jul 11 rdarbin 641
Rick Peck Jul 10 looking 1
IL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Illinois ... (Oct '10) Jul 6 george 6,591
•••
•••
•••
•••

Bartonville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Bartonville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••