New Bartlett restaurant has kept it all in the family

There are 20 comments on the Courier-News story from Sep 7, 2007, titled New Bartlett restaurant has kept it all in the family. In it, Courier-News reports that:

“My dad has been in the restaurant business for over 40 years and knows more about restaurants than all of us combined”

Patrons won't get just any pancake when they pop into the new Savoury Restaurant and Pancake Cafe in Bartlett. via Courier-News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Courier-News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Alexandra

Wood Dale, IL

#1 Sep 7, 2007
Living in Bartlett I was excited about the opening of the new pancake house. On my first visit the restaurant was not very busy. However service was extremely slow. The hostess was not very friendly and our server definitely did not want to be there. The food was decent. Being a new restaurant we decided to give it another shot. This time it was a Sunday morning. The restaurant was busy. The hostess was extra unfriendly (I believe she may be one of the owners). She had a scowl on her face, and was arguing with a customer because of a pricing issue. The server took about 12 minutes to get to the table. When he finally arrived there was nothing warm and friendly about him. We waited 30 minutes for a couple of omelets. Once they arrived the server didn't return until we called him over to ask for the check. We will not be going back.
Mike

San Francisco, CA

#2 Sep 9, 2007
Before moving to Bartlett in '94, I lived near Golf & Roselle in Schaumburg for 7 years. I ate at Spring Garden (also owned by the same family) in Roselle many times. Mainly for breakfast. The food was decent but the service, attitude, and cleanliness were always a crap shoot. I saw more than a few incidents where management gave customers a hard time over pricing and service. Always seemed like the owners felt like they were doing customers a favor by allowing them into the restaurant. Typical Greek breakfast joint. Why did I eat there more than once? It was convenient and choices in the area then were limited. I don't expect Savoury to be any different. I'll give the new place a try but my expectations will be low. Bartlett deserves better. Thanks for the review Alexandra.
Lisa

Peoria, IL

#3 Sep 11, 2007
Ate there the week they just opened. My husband and I had a burger and chicken sandwich. We were there for over 2 hours.People were waiting up to 20 minutes just to get someone to go over and take their drink order. Will not be going back.
If they have been in the business for 40 yeras they should of been prepared.
Kathy

United States

#4 Oct 3, 2007
I dont know what restaurant you guys are talking about. We have been to Savoury 5 or 6 times and each time the food and service was wonderfull. Any new business will take time to get it perfect...Its our new favorite place!
Beth

Hampshire, IL

#5 Oct 24, 2007
I agree with Kathy. This was by far the best breakfast we've had for a LONG time and is a welcome addition to Bartlett. Everything was clean and we received great service. Not sure what happened to the naysayers, but we haven't had anything but good experiences there!
CeCe

Western Springs, IL

#6 Nov 7, 2007
Have been there several times, sometimes the service is good other times it is slowwww. One night in particular the restaurant was almost empty and we waited at least 20 minutes before the server took our order and another 40 minutes to get our food. We did complain and was told we can have free ice cream. The owner acted rude and was not happy that we dared to complain. I am surprised at their attitude and slow service since they did have another rest. for years.
Sandra - Bartlett

United States

#7 Nov 12, 2007
A necessary addition to the area. We love the food and warm atmosphere. The staff has always been freindly and on top of things during our visits.
Susan - Bartlett

Costa Mesa, CA

#8 Jan 3, 2008
I have been there many times and love the place. The staff has been nothing but nice and service was fast. The food is great and I have nothing negative to report.
Jay - Bartlett

Park Ridge, IL

#9 Jan 8, 2008
I have been there many times and I have experienced both good and bad - all the reviews here are very accurate....depending on the server and the day, you can have different experiences. That does say a lot about the management, they don't seem to be interested in delivering a consistent quality of service. The food is usually very good (it's a breakfast joint so very good is about as good as it's going to get). The only problems I have experienced with the food is it can be cold - but that goes right back to service. I would love to suggest to them a great training program to deliver a consistent quality of service…but I am no expert and they have been around for a long time (albeit not here in Bartlett). The restaurant is getting better – most of my bad experiences were in the early months of operation when the restaurant was really slow…oddly enough as they have gotten a little more busy the service and amount of staff has been better. As far as places in the area that are as good or better – there are none! This place may not be AWESOME, but by comparison it blows away all the other joints in at least a 10 mile radius.
JEREMY

United States

#10 Jan 20, 2008
I HAVE BEEN TO SAVOURY NUMEROUS TIMES AND ALL THE TIMES IT'S BEEN GREAT, LAST TIME WE WENT THERE WE HAD THE TURKEY PEPPERJACK PANINI AND THE CHICKEN ALFREDO, BOTH WERE EXCELLENT AND OUR SERVER WAS VERY VERY NICE SHE WAS ON TOP OF THINGS AND WE COULDN'T OF ASKED FOR A BETTER WAITRESS, ALTHOUGH THE HOSTESS WAS NOT VERY FRIENDLY, I THINK SHE WAS ONE OF THE FAMILY SHE WAS VERY COLD AND DID NOT SMILE AT ALL. OTHER THAN THAT IT WAS EXCELLENT.
Karin

Glenview, IL

#11 Jan 26, 2008
I have given Savoury several chances. I will not be back. The food is poorly seasoned and expensive for what you get. My husband ordered an omelet/skillet that showed up with mushrooms in it - the menu didn't list mushrooms and he can't stand them. When we mentioned this on the way out, the hostess ARGUED with us and opened up a menu to try to prove us wrong. When she saw that mushrooms weren't listed she flippantly said "well, we'll fix that on the next print" and didn't apologize.

The service is extremely slow - they use like 8 oz. glasses for drinks so GOOD LUCK getting refills.

If you're looking for a good, consistant restaurant in Bartlett, go to the Nest Cafe on 59 just north of Stearns. They could give the owners of Savoury a good lesson on how to take care of guests.
LibertyToad

Des Plaines, IL

#12 Jan 26, 2008
I agree with the negative comments regarding the Savoury restaurant. We went shortly after it opened and the service was slow and the food was just "okay". Nest Cafe is just down the road (Rt59) and is better.

Anytime you go to a restaurant and the owner/hostess is as rude as mentioned in the other posts you should eat elsewhere. There is no excuse for that unless the customer is being rude or unreasonable.
Breakfast lover

Park Ridge, IL

#13 Jan 31, 2008
Yes, I agree with the good and the bad. My kids refuse to go back because they found a hair a time or two.
Lisa-Bartlett

Downers Grove, IL

#14 Feb 4, 2008
I cant believe all these bad reviews. I have been to Savoury at least 15 times including on the weekends when there can be up to a half hour wait, and I have yet once recieved bad service. And I wont even begin to start talking about their food (Nest Cafe should take notes on how to make a panini from savoury). There breakfast is absolutely amazing, and you cant touch there prices. The food portions are so big, my husband and i can never finish our food! Its also my kids favorite place too. Its family friendly, and the decor is gorgeous. I am also very anxious for the outside patio to open in the summer.
We are extremely happy Savoury chose Bartlett. Before them we had no other options except for the nest, and i dont feel like spending 8.50 for an untasty omlette. I strongly believe everyone should try Savoury for themselves, as far as we know, these reviews can all be fake from an ex employee or competitor.
Thank you Savoury for choosing Bartlett, we will see you soon!
SARA AND KEVIN

Warrenville, IL

#15 Feb 28, 2008
WE'VE BEEN TO SAVOURY ABOUT 5 TIMES AND EVERY TIME WE WALK IN THERES A YOUNGER GUY PROBABLY ONE OF THE OWNERS SONS GREETING US LIKE WERE FAMILY, WE GOT TO OUR TABLE NOT EVEN ONE MINUTE LATER A WAITRESS WALKED UP TO US WITH A BIG SMILE ON HER FACE, SHE SEEMED TO BE THE ONLY ONE THERE IT WAS ABOUT 3:30 ON A MONDAY IT WAS NOT VERY BUSY BUT SHE STAYED ON TOP OF US ALONG WITH THE OTHER 4 TABLES, THE FOOD WAS FANTASTIC ECSPECIALLY THEIR SPLIT PEA SOUP IT'S GREAT. HOW COULD YOU HAVE SO MANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT A RESTURAUNT THAT TRIES THEIR HARDEST TO PLEASE EVERYBODY, I WOULD DEFINATELY RECCOMMEND THIS PLACE IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A RESTURAUNT TO EAT AT IN BARTLETT
Jen

Bloomingdale, IL

#16 Mar 8, 2008
I'm not sure where some of these negative people/comments have been eating. Every time I have been to Savoury (which has been at least once a week since it has opened) has been a good experience. The food, staff and family that own it have been very pleasant and inviting. Each time I have been there, I have had multiple selections from the menu and everything has been great. This is the family restaurant that Bartlett has been lacking for years. I enjoy every experience and plan on enjoying a weekly meal consistently.
Jim

United States

#17 Mar 9, 2008
Well I guess savoury has it's ups and downs just like any other place to eat at, but mostly up's the food is alway hot and very good, they give huge portions, i always have plenty of food leftover for lunch the next day, most of the servers are very pleasant there, I've had my share of bad service at savoury but if you go to any other resturaunt it will be the same every place can't be perfect so give them a try who knows you might actually like it.
jessica

United States

#18 Apr 8, 2008
Im sorry but I do not agree with any of these negative comments. I have been to savoury at the least ten times, and every time it just kept getting better. They by far, hands down not only have the best food in Bartlett, but in Carol stream, elgin, and Hanover Park as well. I have walked into savoury with both, my parents and friends, and every time the younger greeter at the front door has made us feel welcome like we are at home. If we ever needed something, he or someone from the waitstaff would take care of it immediatly. I have never been there on a weekend but from what i have seen from their waits, I am not the only one that feels this way.
Anyone who actually waists there time to come on the internet to hurt someones buisness is usually cruel and jealous. The town of Bartlett desperatly needed this, and i think we should show savoury more support, because god forbid they decide to leave, we will have to once again resort to the nest :(
i love food

Lisle, IL

#19 Apr 9, 2009
I've been to savoury a number of times, and everything i have tried there is really really delicious. I have had no problems with bad service or anything of that sort. The food is fresh and amazing.. So i suggest you go there!
Monika

United States

#20 Jun 6, 2009
I've been to Savoury many many times and have never had anything wrong. I'll always pick Savoury over Nest Cafe

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bartlett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Accountant brought people together (Mar '09) Mon realityisabitch 10
News School board needs independent thinker May 3 Jonnyh77 3
News 4.2-magnitude Michigan earthquake felt througho... May 2 Wassup 1
Review - Vazquez Landscape $20 really is too g... May 2 Schulers Lawn Care 2
Teachers are attractive? Apr 28 sumguybud 1
Brian Nord (Jul '12) Apr 27 RagsFriendForever 27
pipe burst/ water damage (Jan '14) Apr 27 Wade Wilson 3
More from around the web

Bartlett People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE