Extreme Tornado Chasers In Bartlesville

Full story: News on 6 Tulsa

A group of extreme storm chasers are in Bartlesville on Thursday in hopes of capturing tornado video.
Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Apr 28, 2011
John Hallen

Laguna Niguel, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2009

Judged:

These Guys are the best. These are not your average storm chasers. The lead of TVN Reed Timmer holds his masters degree in meteorology and is about to get his PhD soon.. We do severe storm research at http://severewarningsystems.com and rate these guys at TVN "second to none".
Joe

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2009

i could use a car like this driving around tulsa
ANG

Broken Arrow, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2009

Joe wrote:
i could use a car like this driving around tulsa
LOL!! No doubt about that one! Especially on the Creek Turnpike! Thanks for the laugh I really needed that!
justme

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2009

Judged:

I disagree about these guys being the best. The best in the business are with the Vortex 2 research team out of Norman. Some great stuff came out of Vortex 1, and much has been published from them. Where can read I all of TVN's published research at?
justme

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2009

Wow...I can't type this evening! That shuld say where can I read all of TVN's published research at?
justme

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2009

I give up! should not shuld!
mark

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2009

Judged:

All they are trying to do is sell videos by driving up to the tornado in the armored car. There is no reason to drive up next to a tornado to measure wind speeds. A doppler on wheels can do that.
okchaser

Broken Arrow, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2009

Judged:

John Hallen wrote:
These Guys are the best. These are not your average storm chasers. The lead of TVN Reed Timmer holds his masters degree in meteorology and is about to get his PhD soon.. We do severe storm research at http://severewarningsystems.com and rate these guys at TVN "second to none".
The average storm chaser is out there reporting back what they are seeing so warnings can be issued to save lives.
Those TVN "storm chasers" are mostley in it for the media coverage and so called glory and money. I wonder how many sponsors they have? That's where their money comes from. They have the media coverage or their story wouldn't be on this news site. So give me a break about the Extreme Tornado Chasers!
justme

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2009

mark - And yes you are right the DOW does do that, and will be out there again as part of Vortex 2. Hopefully these guys reported all they saw today to the NWS. I was off this evening, but I'll ask when I go back in if they called. If not, sadly I guess okchser is right.
Scott

Fort Collins, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2009

Judged:

Once again a group of crazies giving a bad name to actual storm spotters everywhere. Please do not confuse these thrill-seekers with the valuable spotters that provide information to news stations and the weather service. Actual spotters are far more responsible than this.
Scott

Fort Collins, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2009

Judged:

I'm glad to see that there are plenty of people that see this for what it is. As Mark pointed out, there is absolutely no scientific benefit for getting this close to a storm. DOW can easily get those wind speeds with astounding accuracy, as Josh Wurman will gladly tell you.

They're glory-chasers, not scientists. A degree doesn't make you a good scientist, it makes you a persevering one.

justme is right. Vortex 2 is actual science. These guys are hacks.
SSDD

Bixby, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2009

Judged:

All of that money spent on armoring up a car and they put a $10 Wal-Mart amber light on the roof? At least put a nice Whelen LED lightbar on it guys. Sheesh. If you're going to whack out and be on hamsexy.com then you need to do it right.
what a joke

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2009

Judged:

Scott wrote:
Once again a group of crazies giving a bad name to actual storm spotters everywhere. Please do not confuse these thrill-seekers with the valuable spotters that provide information to news stations and the weather service. Actual spotters are far more responsible than this.
You're right, but wouldn't it be cool to see what
a tornado could do to that armored car. If these guys are foolish enough to put their lives on the line in the name of weather research, then so be it. Makes for good entertainment.
Charles Darwin

Denton, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2009

Excuse me, Reed? I'd like a word with you...
Burn

Broken Arrow, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2009

How can I find out how to become a storm chaser with our local tv stations?

“Say it loud and proud.”

Since: Sep 08

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2009

You see storm chasers all the time in Bartlesville it's kind of interesting.
View from the Balcony

Tahlequah, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2009

Those guys from Colorado with the tank are lame - leave the real science to the Vortex 2 group - even if they are 30 days late out of the gate..
Ex resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2009

what a joke wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right, but wouldn't it be cool to see what
a tornado could do to that armored car. If these guys are foolish enough to put their lives on the line in the name of weather research, then so be it. Makes for good entertainment.
Storm spotters for years served the public safety. The period of time I was very active in it, most did it totally voluntary with no perks what so ever. It hasn't been until the last 10 years that many found no self proclaimed glory in spotting. So with the assistance of FEMA they set up and took over storm spotting as a chance for recognition for some who bought (not passed the exam)for an FCC amateur license. This used to be the minority who had to be constantly reminded to "TURN OFF THAT 160 WATT AMPLIFIER, YOU'RE 2 MILES AWAY AND OVERLOADING THE REPEATER INPUT". Did I say no common sense?...And so many find it a surprise that they chase tornadoes with a camcorder more so than with an amateur radio to report findings to a net controller or the National Weather Service. I'm eager to see the next Youtube video on storm chasing gone wrong and more nominees for the Darwin Awards. Maybe it will thin out the negative DNA from the gene Poole. I hope everyone sleeps through the storms knowing how much concern there is for their welfare in Bartlesville, Oklahoma.
Accountable

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

swandive wrote:
You see storm chasers all the time in Bartlesville it's kind of interesting.
...And there will never be a shortage of idiots there in Bartlelesville.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Bartlesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OK OK Health Care Freedom Amendment, State Questio... (Oct '10) 1 hr DoesntMatter 74,871
Review: Boulevard Diner (May '10) Fri jayvee 21
Doenges Unprofessionalism Aug 20 Fedup 2
Boycott FYC C-store just East of Brookhaven Apts Aug 20 Fedup 3
OK Who do you support for Governor in Oklahoma in ... (Oct '10) Aug 19 Dennis 2,602
OK The "English is the Official Language of Oklaho... (Oct '10) Aug 15 Sam 11,286
Kitchen Cabinet Maker Aug 14 Homeowner 1

Search the Bartlesville Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Bartlesville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Bartlesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE