Animal control officer faces charge o...

Animal control officer faces charge of animal cruelty after dog shot

There are 34 comments on the Examiner-Enterprise story from Apr 1, 2007, titled Animal control officer faces charge of animal cruelty after dog shot. In it, Examiner-Enterprise reports that:

The Copan animal control officer was arraigned in Washington County Court Monday on charges of cruelty to animals after her arrest for allegedly shooting a dog. via Examiner-Enterprise

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner-Enterprise.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
kelly barrett

Tulsa, OK

#1 Apr 5, 2007
I have only lived in copan for 8 months now and I am very upset with the charges against the Copan Animal Cuuelty Officer. I have had to call her three times for complaints against the same dog. My husband and I a few months ago were walking by the house where the dog lived and the dog tried to attack us(we were walking on the other side of the road) the owner of the dog was otside in the yard watching and did nothing to call off the dog. 2 weeks later the same thing happened. My daughter has been chased by the dog also when she was running track at the school inside the school fense. i called the Animal Control Officer and she came out stating she was very concerened but could do nothing because the owner was on county side of the road. we were on copan side and the dog came to us. The dog was never tied up or in a fence and this is across the road from our school were our children are. I am outraged by this that officials are charging her and nothing has been done to the owners of the animal.I am sorry the dog was killed but if the owners had been made to do something about this the animal would still be aLIVE.What would it of took one of our children to die from the dog attacking them to have the dog locked up?
lin

Iola, KS

#2 Jul 23, 2007
There are great differences between an actual educated,certified animal control officer and a dog catcher. An ACO would have handled this situation completely differenty.
Lemonade

AOL

#3 Jul 30, 2007
lin wrote:
There are great differences between an actual educated,certified animal control officer and a dog catcher. An ACO would have handled this situation completely differenty.
Hey! Copan can't pay the tab for what you are asking. Are you KIDDING?
Carlotta Evans was the best animal control ofc. ever. I know this woman and she loves animals, and has integrity. That mutt was coming after her as soon as she turned her back on him and was walking away.
She is being lied about from these people for a pathetic revenge motive. They should have controlled that animal. It was their responsibility!

I live here, and I know people raise and let these large dogs run loose and chase people, including the children in the area.

The dog in question is TOO CLOSE to the school area, and are you more concerned with this out of control dog, or the protection of children?

Carlotta Evans is being unjustly persecuted because of ignorant politically correct motives. Yea, save the dogs and let the kids worry about themselves.
You need to get your facts straight.
Lemonade

AOL

#4 Jul 30, 2007
kelly barrett wrote:
I have only lived in copan for 8 months now and I am very upset with the charges against the Copan Animal Cuuelty Officer. I have had to call her three times for complaints against the same dog. My husband and I a few months ago were walking by the house where the dog lived and the dog tried to attack us(we were walking on the other side of the road) the owner of the dog was otside in the yard watching and did nothing to call off the dog. 2 weeks later the same thing happened. My daughter has been chased by the dog also when she was running track at the school inside the school fense. i called the Animal Control Officer and she came out stating she was very concerened but could do nothing because the owner was on county side of the road. we were on copan side and the dog came to us. The dog was never tied up or in a fence and this is across the road from our school were our children are. I am outraged by this that officials are charging her and nothing has been done to the owners of the animal.I am sorry the dog was killed but if the owners had been made to do something about this the animal would still be aLIVE.What would it of took one of our children to die from the dog attacking them to have the dog locked up?
Kelly, I agree TOTALLY! Send an e-mail to Rick Esser, with your story, as I did, and ask him to drop the trumped up charges against Ms. Evans.
Now, these people are trying to sue Copan for something like $125,000 to make a fast buck, playing the sympathy card for por ole Smokey. I wish she had dropped him permanently.
James TR

AOL

#5 Jul 31, 2007
Lemonade wrote:
<quoted text>
Kelly, I agree TOTALLY! Send an e-mail to Rick Esser, with your story, as I did, and ask him to drop the trumped up charges against Ms. Evans.
Now, these people are trying to sue Copan for something like $125,000 to make a fast buck, playing the sympathy card for por ole Smokey. I wish she had dropped him permanently.
I agree as well. These people seem to have an ax to grind as well as now has recently been revealed, a profit motive. Some people are going to defend their out of control animals no matter what,just like goodie two shoes "animal rights activists" do.
Save the mutts and to hades with the children.
Ex-Copan visitor

United States

#6 Aug 18, 2007
Was this dog about 50lbs. and a black short haired dog that looked kind of like a lab-mutt mix? A dog meeting that descriptiion viciously tried to attack me 2 blocks west of the school a year ago. I was visiting a friend, it was about 8pm and if a large male person had not defended me, it would have ripped my throat out. It just came running at me from across the street and made three attempts to attack for no reason. If I had a license to carry a concealed weapon that night and been alone, I would have had to shoot to save my life. Copan needs to lock up their dogs and punish people like these who let their dogs run loose on purpose just because they're to lazy to pick up the crap in their own yard or let them raid trash cans like this one was doing because his cruel and lazy owners don't feed him. I will never go to Copan again because they let dogs go wild and the town won't pay to do anything right. The owners of this dog should be held accountable for wreckless public endangerment and forced to pay for the dog catchers legal bills and training. It is their fault, who would they sue if it attacked a child?
John Smith

Inola, OK

#7 Sep 26, 2007
Get your story straight the dog was not killed. The ordinance in Washington County does not require the owners to chain the dog up. Get your facts straight.
kelly barrett wrote:
John Smith

Inola, OK

#8 Sep 26, 2007
Amen. There were no reports filed with the County Sheriff that this dog was violent or attacked anyone. Copan needs to do better checks on their animal control people. How is a Copan city animal control officer going to shoot a dog that is in its own yard in the county?
lin wrote:
John Smith

Inola, OK

#9 Sep 26, 2007
Sounds like you need to get your facts straight. If she is such a wonderful person and animal lover then how come the dog was shot in the back hind legs. If the dog was running at her how would she have shot it in the back legs? Were you there when it happened ? I think not. What kind of animal control officer carries a RIFLE? Real animal control officers are not allowed to carry guns, except for tranquilizer guns.
Lemonade wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey! Copan can't pay the tab for what you are asking. Are you KIDDING?
Carlotta Evans was the best animal control ofc. ever. I know this woman and she loves animals, and has integrity. That mutt was coming after her as soon as she turned her back on him and was walking away.
She is being lied about from these people for a pathetic revenge motive. They should have controlled that animal. It was their responsibility!
I live here, and I know people raise and let these large dogs run loose and chase people, including the children in the area.
The dog in question is TOO CLOSE to the school area, and are you more concerned with this out of control dog, or the protection of children?
Carlotta Evans is being unjustly persecuted because of ignorant politically correct motives. Yea, save the dogs and let the kids worry about themselves.
You need to get your facts straight.
John Smith

Inola, OK

#10 Sep 26, 2007
You keep talking about children. Do you have any documented proof that this dog ever bit or hurt anyone?
James TR wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree as well. These people seem to have an ax to grind as well as now has recently been revealed, a profit motive. Some people are going to defend their out of control animals no matter what,just like goodie two shoes "animal rights activists" do.
Save the mutts and to hades with the children.
John Smith

Inola, OK

#11 Sep 26, 2007
Do you have any documented proof that Smokey hurt a child or anyone else for that matter? It is not against the law to have your dog unsecure in the County....
Lemonade wrote:
<quoted text>
John Smith

Inola, OK

#12 Sep 26, 2007
No the dog in question is black and white, medium size dog that weighs about 25 pounds. It is a Beagle mix dog.
Ex-Copan visitor wrote:
Was this dog about 50lbs. and a black short haired dog that looked kind of like a lab-mutt mix? A dog meeting that descriptiion viciously tried to attack me 2 blocks west of the school a year ago. I was visiting a friend, it was about 8pm and if a large male person had not defended me, it would have ripped my throat out. It just came running at me from across the street and made three attempts to attack for no reason. If I had a license to carry a concealed weapon that night and been alone, I would have had to shoot to save my life. Copan needs to lock up their dogs and punish people like these who let their dogs run loose on purpose just because they're to lazy to pick up the crap in their own yard or let them raid trash cans like this one was doing because his cruel and lazy owners don't feed him. I will never go to Copan again because they let dogs go wild and the town won't pay to do anything right. The owners of this dog should be held accountable for wreckless public endangerment and forced to pay for the dog catchers legal bills and training. It is their fault, who would they sue if it attacked a child?
Animal control

Borger, TX

#14 Feb 19, 2008
I DO AGREE WITH U AND URE WRIGHT. IAM A CERTIFIED ACO AND GETTING READY TO TAKE SOME MORE CLASSES IN THIS FIELD AND IF U WOULD LIKE GIVE URE APONION ON SOME CLASSES IF U DONT MIND AND EMAL ME AT [email protected]
Lemonade

Elkins, AR

#15 Feb 22, 2008
kelly barrett wrote:
People who actually LIVE in Copan know what a problem these dogs running amuk cause. However, the dog in question, as I understand it, belongs to very irresponsible people who live on the borderline just outside city limits, so this is why they felt justified in letting their dog run loose. Unfortunately, the dog doesn't understand where the borderline IS, and so he crossed that line whenever he felt like it, and when he wanted to terrorize some child or passerby. In a case like this the owner needed to do the ethical thing for the good of the community and keep their nasty tempered dog in check. Period.
Carlotta Evans was perfectly right in carrying a weapon to protect herself when going on calls in the county area, or for that matter, even within the city limits.
I now live in the county just outside Copan, and dogs running loose chasing cattle, with no sign of a owner, or dogs that are dumped, are shot, no questions asked.
Carlotta told me that one Pit Bull that was captured, tested positive for TSP, which I've been told that meth dealers give their dogs to cause them to be more agressive and mean. Yes, this is Copan, not Colonial Heights, lol!
fighting hunger

Inola, OK

#16 Mar 10, 2008
I think all dogs running loose or stray should be sent to Korea, they are hungry there and dog is mighty good in a pot of rice and fish heads
Lemonade

AOL

#17 Apr 2, 2008
fighting hunger wrote:
I think all dogs running loose or stray should be sent to Korea, they are hungry there and dog is mighty good in a pot of rice and fish heads
Especially the cur "Smokey" IF the owners are sent along with him. None of them have been beneficial to the serenity and safety of this small town.
The owners of "darling Smokey" were recently jailed for attacking people themselves. Like dog, like owners. Snarling, uncivilized bunch.

“Take time to smile! ”

Since: Mar 08

Bartlesville

#18 Apr 8, 2008
this is the dumbest thing I think I have ever read. The owner of a dog is respondsable for the dog. I ahve dogs, and I would never allow my dog to run loose all over the place. Sounds to me like the owner needs to wise up, and they are making up things. i do not think this woman told the owner she was going to shoot the dog, and i do not think she called it into the street. I think the dog was not put in the yard, and it ran after the lady, and she had to defend her self. And the lawsuit just proves the owners are a bunch of hicks that need to grow up!!!
John Smith

Oklahoma City, OK

#19 Apr 8, 2008
Carlotta should never have been in the County with a gun. She was the City Dog Catcher for Copan. What proof do you have that this dog left its yard. My question to Carlotta and everyone else defending her: How do you shoot a dog in the hind legs when it is running at you. Also if you are in your truck why get out if you think the dog is running at you ? You are safe in a truck.
Lemonade wrote:
<quoted text>
People who actually LIVE in Copan know what a problem these dogs running amuk cause. However, the dog in question, as I understand it, belongs to very irresponsible people who live on the borderline just outside city limits, so this is why they felt justified in letting their dog run loose. Unfortunately, the dog doesn't understand where the borderline IS, and so he crossed that line whenever he felt like it, and when he wanted to terrorize some child or passerby. In a case like this the owner needed to do the ethical thing for the good of the community and keep their nasty tempered dog in check. Period.
Carlotta Evans was perfectly right in carrying a weapon to protect herself when going on calls in the county area, or for that matter, even within the city limits.
I now live in the county just outside Copan, and dogs running loose chasing cattle, with no sign of a owner, or dogs that are dumped, are shot, no questions asked.
Carlotta told me that one Pit Bull that was captured, tested positive for TSP, which I've been told that meth dealers give their dogs to cause them to be more agressive and mean. Yes, this is Copan, not Colonial Heights, lol!
John Smith

Oklahoma City, OK

#20 Apr 8, 2008
Why were these people attacked?
Lemonade wrote:
<quoted text>
Especially the cur "Smokey" IF the owners are sent along with him. None of them have been beneficial to the serenity and safety of this small town.
The owners of "darling Smokey" were recently jailed for attacking people themselves. Like dog, like owners. Snarling, uncivilized bunch.
John Smith

Oklahoma City, OK

#21 Apr 8, 2008
Before you make uneducated comments why don't you go down to the court clerks office and request a copy of the probable cause affidavit that was filed. The police do not make a habit out of arresting people for no reason. And if you think the police are making things up you must believe that they some how got the District Attorney to go along with them as well as the Judge that bound her over for Jury trial. Sounds like your conspiracy theory requires the cooperation of a lot of upstanding citizens.
Kim from Bartlesville wrote:
this is the dumbest thing I think I have ever read. The owner of a dog is respondsable for the dog. I ahve dogs, and I would never allow my dog to run loose all over the place. Sounds to me like the owner needs to wise up, and they are making up things. i do not think this woman told the owner she was going to shoot the dog, and i do not think she called it into the street. I think the dog was not put in the yard, and it ran after the lady, and she had to defend her self. And the lawsuit just proves the owners are a bunch of hicks that need to grow up!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bartlesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nightclub/Bar Jun 21 Indy_girrl78 1
Old Golden Corral Building Sold - What's next f... Jun 14 Cinnamon Bun. 2
Dan Johnson is a douche (Aug '15) Jun 11 Biscuits and gravy 2
News Bartlesville Restaurant Files Lawsuit Over Brea... Jun 9 Cinnamon Bun. 1
What happen n court about Lyndsey Giovinazzo an... (Mar '12) Jun 5 kelsey johnson 18
VOM Breaking News! Wurmbrands son asks for Inve... (Mar '14) Jun 4 Former resident 6
What happened to the Mullendore Murder Case (Aug '08) Jun 4 Former B resident 1,412
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bartlesville Mortgages