Genealogy info postings on the net

Posted in the Bartlesville Forum

Charlotte S

Ashburn, VA

#1 Jan 18, 2011
Is it ethical to post other family members' info on the net when you have not asked permission ? We have a case where a lady ( distant relative ) is posting all kinds of info on our family on the net.
Phrootloops

Tulsa, OK

#2 Jan 21, 2011
Charlotte S wrote:
Is it ethical to post other family members' info on the net when you have not asked permission ? We have a case where a lady ( distant relative ) is posting all kinds of info on our family on the net.
Depends on what kind of info. Read Topix terms of Service.
Charlotte S

Ashburn, VA

#3 Jan 22, 2011
Phrootloops wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends on what kind of info. Read Topix terms of Service.
She is not posting on Topix but on forums designed for genealogy work. Most people who work on family trees are careful what they post on public forums. They may share things privately with people close to them but it is understood that some info is not passed on in a public way. If this lady wants to use one of the sites with a private function she could do that. She could then give certain people the "key" to said info. For instance........an elderly lady visited some of her family and when she left some things seemed to have been taken by her. This info was shared by the family with a women who later ( after the older lady had passed on ) decided to include in a family history that she was writing that the older lady had been a thief. The women writing the family history did not check back with the family who would have told her that the things had sipped down behind some piece of furniture and found when "Spring cleaning" was in progress.'nuff said.
Phrootloops

Tulsa, OK

#4 Jan 22, 2011
Charlotte S wrote:
<quoted text>
She is not posting on Topix but on forums designed for genealogy work. Most people who work on family trees are careful what they post on public forums. They may share things privately with people close to them but it is understood that some info is not passed on in a public way. If this lady wants to use one of the sites with a private function she could do that. She could then give certain people the "key" to said info. For instance........an elderly lady visited some of her family and when she left some things seemed to have been taken by her. This info was shared by the family with a women who later ( after the older lady had passed on ) decided to include in a family history that she was writing that the older lady had been a thief. The women writing the family history did not check back with the family who would have told her that the things had sipped down behind some piece of furniture and found when "Spring cleaning" was in progress.'nuff said.
You'd originally asked if what this lady was doing was "ethical". The obvious answer is absolutely not. If you, or other members of the family know this person, wouldn't it be a good idea to contact her and ask her to delete this slander and stop doing it?
Charlotte S

Ashburn, VA

#5 Jan 22, 2011
She has been contacted and asked to stop and remove it ( not the story that I posted.....that is just an example of these kinds of things as I have no wish to help anyone spread another rumor ). Her view is that she can post what she wants to since the person is dead. I
contend that it is wrong. I just wanted to see what other people thought about this practice.
Phrootloops

Tulsa, OK

#6 Jan 23, 2011
Charlotte S wrote:
She has been contacted and asked to stop and remove it ( not the story that I posted.....that is just an example of these kinds of things as I have no wish to help anyone spread another rumor ). Her view is that she can post what she wants to since the person is dead. I
contend that it is wrong. I just wanted to see what other people thought about this practice.
So I guess according to this woman's standards it will be okay for others to post on geneology forums that she was a vicious old slanderer and gossip monger when she dies.
Charlotte S

Ashburn, VA

#7 Jan 23, 2011
Phrootloops wrote:
<quoted text>
So I guess according to this woman's standards it will be okay for others to post on geneology forums that she was a vicious old slanderer and gossip monger when she dies.
Wow ! I had not considered that nor had I thought of it. Thanks :-)
historian

Chanute, KS

#8 Jan 28, 2011
Charlotte S wrote:
In American law, you can't libel the dead. In other words, legally she can say anything she so desires about the dead. Whether it's morally right to do so is, of course, a matter for her conscience.
Phrootloops

United States

#9 Jan 28, 2011
historian wrote:
<quoted text>
In American law, you can't libel the dead. In other words, legally she can say anything she so desires about the dead. Whether it's morally right to do so is, of course, a matter for her conscience.
Actually, it's not morally right to libel the dead. The woman in question apparently doesn't care about mundane things like ethics, character and conscience.
historian

Chanute, KS

#10 Jan 29, 2011
Phrootloops wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it's not morally right to libel the dead. The woman in question apparently doesn't care about mundane things like ethics, character and conscience.
I agree with you that morally it isn't right; but legally she can get away with it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bartlesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Former Chairman, CEO Of Phillips Petroleum C.J.... 11 hr ADS 1
Debate: Marijuana - Bartlesville, OK (Aug '10) Dec 23 Amarea 28
Review: Boulevard Diner (May '10) Dec 19 KitchenNightmares 22
Kitchen Cabinet Maker Nov 25 billstacy 4
Review: Denali Vapor LTD (May '13) Nov '14 Phil 18
Rancher ( E.C. Mullendore) (Jun '08) Nov '14 scott 132
Debate: Gay Marriage - Bartlesville, OK (Jan '12) Oct '14 Straight Guy 18
Bartlesville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web