Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
75,621 - 75,640 of 81,587 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago
wardrobe

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

No balance
Without
Truth
truth

Campbellsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

You ain't seen nothing yet!
Birds falling by the thousands is nothing compared to what's going to happen.
Wondering

Whitley City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Okay...I don't know if this thread has anything to do with birds or not but I seen something yesterday. I live fairly isolated besides a couple neighbors. First there were two large separate flocks of bird went over which rarely happens here. Then I heard a bird in the field beside my home and went to investigate. To my surprise it was two different types of sea birds. I was able to get close to one and got a picture. The others circled and made noise. It was just odd. Someone told me the area must have been an ancient shoreline but I've lived here my whole life and have never seen this before.
Wondering

Whitley City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Wondering wrote:
Okay...I don't know if this thread has anything to do with birds or not but I seen something yesterday. I live fairly isolated besides a couple neighbors. First there were two large separate flocks of bird went over which rarely happens here. Then I heard a bird in the field beside my home and went to investigate. To my surprise it was two different types of sea birds. I was able to get close to one and got a picture. The others circled and made noise. It was just odd. Someone told me the area must have been an ancient shoreline but I've lived here my whole life and have never seen this before.
I forgot a piece of the story. Someone told me there was an earthquake yesterday but I seen nothing on the news.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

@Wondering... I suggest you Google "Inland Seagulls". It is not odd at all that seagulls go inland around lakes and ponds and do not just habituate shorelines although they are seen more frequently there.
Wondering

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Wondering... I suggest you Google "Inland Seagulls". It is not odd at all that seagulls go inland around lakes and ponds and do not just habituate shorelines although they are seen more frequently there.
I do live fairly close to a lake but two species landing in a field was weird.
Thanks
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Earthquake on the Ryukyu Islands,Japan.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

OhioJeepGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
I miss you too! Topix freezes my computer to the point of having to restart. I lose a lot of research.=( Yep, the kiddos are out of school. My Taurus starts high school next year.
what is hubby going to take in school?
I have to change my master's and basically start over, but it is very well worth it. It will mean the difference of over $100K per year and will save credits needed for my PhD (and about $25K in educational costs). The best news is that I can still work remotely and not have to move to a city. Yay!!!! Needless to say, after I found out about the sign on bonus, yearly bonuses that are more than I make in 3 years, plus the regular paychecks...um, I danced around for days! Half the trailer court was ready to dance to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =2vTEstU1MRkXX The Contours - Do You Love Me. I have no clue why it was that song that stuck in my head. LOL
It is HOT today over this way. The weather has been pretty good. A lot of rain last week and a bad storm that caused me to leave the trailer.
I am starting to get back into the swing of things. I should be able to stop in more often now. Well, unless I have too much research up that I do not feel like saving. My favorites is full and I am getting used to a great new research program that is a time saver, but I still do not want to pack it full of things I will only use once.
lol....topix gives many of us problems..... i run the beta version of mozilla and have a time with all the "unresponsive script" errors i get from the topix ads. but i figured out if i catch it quick enough i can open my start menu and pull up the task manager (or ctrl,alt,dlt) and i just end the firefox process before it crams up the whole computer...... prolly not a good idea but i have no patience for restarting and all that.

hubby is going for a AS in business management right now.(baby steps) my plan is to talk him into s couple extra certifications (real estate maybe or human resources) and a BS eventually. but i figure i will let him get a good way thru the program before i bring it up. we really want to move to Denver (relatives and medical pot for hubby's back and more opportunity for me to use my degree) that's the long term plan.

glad things are coming back into our version of calm (sorry i cant really call that calm lol.)

much love
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad your Mom fixed you up. I love pulled pork. My favorite. Hilarious story we have (us women) have all probably experienced. They just don't think sometimes. lol Sure would of loved to seen you at the memorial. It was awesome.
yep i think if i had to be a vegetarian or subscribed to a religion that did not allow me bacon or pulled pork i would not make it. she makes the best with crock pot roasted pork tenderloin and sweet baby rays....mmmmm good stuff.

i have not been up to radcliff in months, can't say i miss it either. too busy for me. i try to stay out of main e-town as much as i can too. was going to check out hooray for heroes cause we had a blast the year we were living there but when it came down to it....the thought of traffic from both towns...nope just couldn't do it.

hope your staying cool in this heat..... i have turned back into an a.c. baby again.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Hey birdthreaders, how are you? Welcome to SUMMER! I started off early, working the flowers, weeds, bird feeders and rabbit food. I thought early would be good, but by 8:30 it was hot. haha That's where the pool came in handy, although I bout burned my butt (and the rest of me, lol) floating on the water with occasional dunks and swimming until my legs hurt. Loved the exercise, cold water, and beautiful chemspray-free skies. Last night was gorgeous. Shower, lots of lotion, dinner finished, might go back out later and enjoy the sky as the temps go down. Life is good. I hope you all had a great day.

Going back to read up and then post some interesting things. I will post so you can read it and if you want to see the pictures you can click on the site. Or scroll and roll....lol
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
Ghosts don't bother me. I have lived close by and worked in a rather large cemetary well into the night hours and felt much safer there than I did in the local pool hall. LOL
Actually, I find the night time sights and sounds that bring back the memories of those gone on before me to be quite comforting.
I feel the same way. I totally believe in ghosts/spirits among us.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

It's HOT! Woooo!
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Misty eyed wrote:
Another restless night, I'm not afraid of the ghosts. I know as far as working in a geriatrics' center goes, you just wonder why one would linger. Had a mischievous one once. Turning on call lights. Around the same time I kept feeling a presence following me room to room . I believe, they come and go.
Odd sensation though. My body felt so differently quite like a dog with his ears perked up. Weird experience. I had a beloved aunt who swore that my deceased Grandmother had perched on the edge of her bed in conversation one night. She woke up with the vivid image and a warm spot on that very edge.
I do believe.
Sorry about your restless nights. I love that story and totally could see it happen. I do believe as well.:)
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
I forgot a piece of the story. Someone told me there was an earthquake yesterday but I seen nothing on the news.
I think you are lucky and AW is right about bodies of water attracting different birds. It's a chance to see different ones during different times of the year. They do know where water is.

There were plenty of Earthquakes the last few days. Might be aftershocks of the one in California as well as a few others across the globe. I will post.:)

Magnitude-4.6 Quake in Santa Barbara Channel Jolts Coast

The quake was about 12 miles west of Santa Barbara near Isla Vista
An earthquake with a magnitude of 4.6 Wednesday morning near Isla Vista, just west of Santa Barbara, and two aftershocks rattled the Southern California coast and a few inland areas.

Earthquake Page: Maps, Preparing

The off-shore quake was reported at 7:38 a.m. The location (map) was about three miles west of Isla Vista and 12 miles west of Santa Barbara in the Santa Barbara Channel.
The quake was initially reported with a magnitude of 4.9, but downgraded to magnitude-4.6.

NBC LA Facebook page visitors reported shaking in Oxnard, Granada Hills, Woodland Hills, Canyon Country and Santa Barbara.
"I could hear my entire spiral staircase rattling, and it woke me up," said Jen Marlow, of Oxnard Shores. "It lasted a pretty long time."

Two magnitude-2.6 aftershocks were reported within an hour of the initial shaking.

There were no reports of injuries or significant damage, according to the Santa Barbara County Fire Department. No tsunami warnings, advisories or watches are in effect

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Earth...
OhioJeepGirl

Lenore, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

betty wrote:
<quoted text>
lol....topix gives many of us problems..... i run the beta version of mozilla and have a time with all the "unresponsive script" errors i get from the topix ads. but i figured out if i catch it quick enough i can open my start menu and pull up the task manager (or ctrl,alt,dlt) and i just end the firefox process before it crams up the whole computer...... prolly not a good idea but i have no patience for restarting and all that.
hubby is going for a AS in business management right now.(baby steps) my plan is to talk him into s couple extra certifications (real estate maybe or human resources) and a BS eventually. but i figure i will let him get a good way thru the program before i bring it up. we really want to move to Denver (relatives and medical pot for hubby's back and more opportunity for me to use my degree) that's the long term plan.
glad things are coming back into our version of calm (sorry i cant really call that calm lol.)
much love
That is great! Management is still a great degree. Many degrees went downhill with the 2008 financial crisis and/or the degree field became flooded. Real estate is going back up and if a person could invest in it pretty quick then there would be easy money to be made as the property value rises. There is always money to made in forclosures and sweat equity.

I remember, or at least I think I do, you talking about wanting to move to Denver. It is funny that even though we currently do not live close that I still feel sad that you would be moving so far away. I hope it is far off still. One day soon we will all meet up.

I just made the switch to Fire Fox in order to use my research program. I still find myself using IE as I hate change of any kind. LOL It should have been easy for me since IE is really about useless.

How are all of your furry babies doing? Are you still enjoying working at the clinic? Is the neighbor doing better now and is he still making the trips to see his sister?

(((Big hugs)))
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Today's Earthquakes:

Arkansas
Magnitude: 2.0

Maine - Never seen on this map
Magnitude: 1.7

California
Magnitude: 4.9

Alaska, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, and Utah/Montana (two states hardly ever on there either). Check out the storms in them middle of the country. Then look at it all as a whole on the world map below. Lots of info on this site.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php...

Across the World:

Eastern Cape, South Africa
Magnitude: 5.2

Russia
Magnitude: 4.8

Indonesia
Magnitude: 4.5

Turkey
Magnitude: 4.5

Iran
Magnitude: 4.1

Croatia, Greece, France, Spain, Puerto Rico, and Canada

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

These maps also track the storms, tornadoes, floods, wildfires, volcano eruptions, hazards (biological/epidemic), landslides, snow storms etc....
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

FATE:

Woman shocked by what she finds tucked into secondhand Bible

Marion Shurtleff's reason for buying the used Bible was simple: She wanted to compare that translation to the one she had at home. But Shurtleff found something completely unexpected tucked between Psalms and Proverbs. The 75-year-old California woman pulled a sheet of paper out of the book, unfolded it and saw her own name, in her own handwriting. Unbelievably, it was an essay she'd written as a 10-year-old Girl Scout when she lived over 2,000 miles away in Covington, Ky. "I call it my OMG story," Shurtleff said. "I started shaking. I cried. I had goose bumps." She is currently looking for the Bible's last owner. "Maybe it was sent to me for a reason," she said.

http://now.msn.com/marion-shurtleff-bought-bi...

Love that story. I hope she finds who the last owner was. All things happen for a reason.
OhioJeepGirl

Lenore, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

betty wrote:
<quoted text>
yep i think if i had to be a vegetarian or subscribed to a religion that did not allow me bacon or pulled pork i would not make it. she makes the best with crock pot roasted pork tenderloin and sweet baby rays....mmmmm good stuff.
i have not been up to radcliff in months, can't say i miss it either. too busy for me. i try to stay out of main e-town as much as i can too. was going to check out hooray for heroes cause we had a blast the year we were living there but when it came down to it....the thought of traffic from both towns...nope just couldn't do it.
hope your staying cool in this heat..... i have turned back into an a.c. baby again.
Me too! I have to have my bacon, sausage, ham, and pork chops! I did try and do the whole vegi thing back in my 20s. I ended up hungry all the time until I broke down and ate some meat. I have no idea what caused me to think that I could survive without ever eating a good steak, a tender roast, turkey, and all of the other great meats.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Interesting story on the news...

FBI investigated song ‘Louie Louie’ for 2 years
An accusation of obscenity against a rock & roll hit.

It was a citizen’s complaint that first called the FBI’s attention to “Louie Louie,” the rock & roll staple that was a hit for The Kingsmen back in 1963.

In a letter of Feb. 7, 1964, addressed to Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy, an outraged parent (name withheld) exclaims,“My daughter brought home a record of ‘Louie Louie’ and I, after reading that the record had been banned from being played on the air because it was obscene, proceeded to try to decipher the jumble of words. The lyrics are so filthy that I can-not enclose them in this letter.”

So began a two-year investigation by the FBI, who to this day is involved in fighting obscenity. According to the FBI case file, The Kingmen’s record was sent to the FBI Laboratory for analysis to “determine its obscene character,” in part by playing the 45 rpm single at the slower speed of 33 1/3 rpm.

Page 14 of the report shares one listener’s determination of filthy lyrics, which is entertaining but can’t be shared on a nice family blog such as ours. However, the FBI apparently failed to contact Kingsmen singer Jack Ely, who committed the lyrics to tape. Neither did they ever reach Richard Berry, who wrote the original song in 1955.

Singing along to “Louie Louie” continues to be a major challenge for any cover band, due in large part to Ely’s slurred performance. The vocalist has explained that he was yelling to be heard over other instruments in the recording session, and also that he was wearing braces at the time, which contributed to his infamously incomprehensible delivery. But when the record was banned by the governor of Indiana on accusations of obscenity, the continued popularity of the song and the band was guaranteed.

The parent’s letter to AG Kennedy rants on:“This land of ours is headed for an extreme state of moral degradation what with this record, the biggest hit movies and the sex and violence exploited on T.V. How can we stamp out this menace????”

Ultimately, the FBI couldn’t determine what the lyrics were, but the agency never charged nor exonerated “Louie Louie” for obscenity. Check the actual song lyrics here, and let us know who really had the dirty mind.

Louie, Louie,
me gotta go.
Louie, Louie,
me gotta go.
A fine little girl, she wait for me;
me catch a ship across the sea.
I sailed the ship all alone;
I never think I’ll make it home
Three nights and days we sailed the sea;
me think of girl constantly.
On the ship, I dream she there;
I smell the rose, in her hair.
Me see Jamaica moon above;
It won’t be long me see me love.
Me take her in my arms and then
I tell her I never leave again.

Tip of the hat to Smithsonian.com for flagging this story.

http://living.msn.com/life-inspired/the-daily...

Louie Louie - The Kingsmen

Imagine what she would think of some of today's lyrics. lol A lot of them pure trash.
OhioJeepGirl

Lenore, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are lucky and AW is right about bodies of water attracting different birds. It's a chance to see different ones during different times of the year. They do know where water is.
There were plenty of Earthquakes the last few days. Might be aftershocks of the one in California as well as a few others across the globe. I will post.:)
Magnitude-4.6 Quake in Santa Barbara Channel Jolts Coast
The quake was about 12 miles west of Santa Barbara near Isla Vista
An earthquake with a magnitude of 4.6 Wednesday morning near Isla Vista, just west of Santa Barbara, and two aftershocks rattled the Southern California coast and a few inland areas.
Earthquake Page: Maps, Preparing
The off-shore quake was reported at 7:38 a.m. The location (map) was about three miles west of Isla Vista and 12 miles west of Santa Barbara in the Santa Barbara Channel.
The quake was initially reported with a magnitude of 4.9, but downgraded to magnitude-4.6.
NBC LA Facebook page visitors reported shaking in Oxnard, Granada Hills, Woodland Hills, Canyon Country and Santa Barbara.
"I could hear my entire spiral staircase rattling, and it woke me up," said Jen Marlow, of Oxnard Shores. "It lasted a pretty long time."
Two magnitude-2.6 aftershocks were reported within an hour of the initial shaking.
There were no reports of injuries or significant damage, according to the Santa Barbara County Fire Department. No tsunami warnings, advisories or watches are in effect
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Earth...
Yeah, I do not miss CA at all. Tornados have warnings. I think it was Russia that just had a big quake. The world has had a number of big quakes the last few years.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Barterville Discussions

Search the Barterville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 44 min American 149,667
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr spaceship 130,171
Joe Perkins 3 hr hey 10
nicholas county schools 4 hr Joe 13
Nick Leggett 8 hr Becky 2
Ex-Mormon Band Forced to Cancel Concert Due to ... 9 hr SameSame 72
Youth football 16 hr LOL 9
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barterville Jobs

•••