jim tormey

Elizabeth, NJ

#1 Jul 7, 2012
I went there in the 50s with my parents.
Anyone old eough to remember:
Charlie Pankow
Frank Buck
the spring
the boat house
deer head lodge softball games
the barn
square dances
great food
bats
card gamed
Frank and Ruth Tormey
Jake Consoli
Thanks,Jim Tormey
I was there in the 60s

Millburn, NJ

#2 Dec 2, 2012
For many years my parents spent a week or two there during the summer. I remember Frank Buck had a torpedo mounted on the road sign to his place. Charlie and Millie were incredible. I remember the leaky row boats down the canal area off the trail to the lake. We would see the same crowd there year after year.
Bob G

Lynbrook, NY

#3 Jan 29, 2013
I was there in the 60s wrote:
For many years my parents spent a week or two there during the summer. I remember Frank Buck had a torpedo mounted on the road sign to his place. Charlie and Millie were incredible. I remember the leaky row boats down the canal area off the trail to the lake. We would see the same crowd there year after year.
I just happen to notice on houses for sale in Highland Lake that Frank 'BUCK' Genover, I may have Franks real last name spellded wrong is now for sale.Frank had a Son named Charlie,hey Charley you out there give me a shout back.
Bill Rigo

Lake Worth, FL

#4 May 20, 2014
jim tormey wrote:
I went there in the 50s with my parents.
Anyone old eough to remember:
Charlie Pankow
Frank Buck
the spring
the boat house
deer head lodge softball games
the barn
square dances
great food
bats
card gamed
Frank and Ruth Tormey
Jake Consoli
Thanks,Jim Tormey
Green Meadows What a wonderful experience . I had the most in my life there there was something magical about the way everything was put together the lake the boats the parties in the barn the weenie roast bingo the apple trees the music playing, ringing the bell for lunch dinner and breakfast find this. These were the most magical times in my life. It
is no longer there the buildings are torn down it's sad to say but what a great memory
Bill rigo
Bobs G

Floral Park, NY

#5 Jun 14, 2014
Bill Rigo wrote:
<quoted text>
Green Meadows What a wonderful experience . I had the most in my life there there was something magical about the way everything was put together the lake the boats the parties in the barn the weenie roast bingo the apple trees the music playing, ringing the bell for lunch dinner and breakfast find this. These were the most magical times in my life. It
is no longer there the buildings are torn down it's sad to say but what a great memory
Bill rigo
Did your family once own the Olympic house on highland lake.
June

United States

#6 Jun 2, 2015
Bill Rigo wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill rigo
Hi guys. I grew up in Manhattan
Still here. We went to Green Meadows
In mid 50's as kids too
My Mom, younger sister & grandparents
Once with older cousin and my Dad at least once
Since he took photos of us on path through the
Pines to the lake and swimming with our rubber
Tubes and grandma at the boathouse
They had just re-painted it a dark green and
One of the Ns was upside down
I am a photographer and just found these
old pix to scan for a family project!

I picked blueberries with my grandmother
from the bent grey boardwalk next to the lily pond
Millie put them in muffins next morning
I remember a 10:30 coffee and muffin
Serving in a screened in area - for late risers
Or those needing a second cup

Since we wete a group i do remember We stayed in a separate building nearer the road but also stayed in main House and an annex.

I remember :
the joke of sending new people to The Springs
cowboy movies on a sheet and
also spencer tracy in Inherit the Wind!

They played the Everly Brothers hit Bye Bye Blackbird On the radio and there were adirondack
And 50's metal chairs
I remember the barn with the Cowboy over the door And the smell of beer, race horse games on rainy days And sack races on the lawn
I was 6 -7--8 and learned to swim in the
Kids area . someone had a car So we went
to Fort Delaware and for
The adults a night out they went to Barryville
Or Port Jervis
Cheers.
June
Bob G

Floral Park, NY

#7 Jun 2, 2015
June wrote:
<quoted text>
In mid 50's as kids too
Since we wete a group i do remember We stayed in a separate building nearer the road but also stayed in main House and an annex.
I remember :
They played the Everly Brothers hit Bye Bye Blackbird On the radio and there were adirondack
And 50's metal chairs
I remember the barn with the Cowboy over the door And the smell of beer, race horse games on rainy days And sack races on the lawn
to Fort Delaware and for
Or Port Jervis
Cheers.
June
The house nearer the road you stayed in I guess was probably the Eleanor house and the adults night out in Barryville was Rebers or across the river to Schohola to a place called Romans which is still there. I may have spelled it wrong ,I used to get off the train with my family with a buster brown collar my mom dressed us in.
Colleen223

Garner, NC

#8 Jun 7, 2015
June wrote:
<quoted text>
In mid 50's as kids too
I remember :
And 50's metal chairs
to Fort Delaware and for
Or Port Jervis
Cheers.
June
Thanks for those great memories! I'd almost forgotten about the wild blueberry bushes and picking them for the muffins! And of course the cowboy over the door of the barn. The coke in glass bottles tasted better than any other coke ever...a big treat since we weren't allowed to have soda at home.

And yes...Friday nights...sack races on the lawn. Egg tossing and bocchi ball too. I even remember winning in bingo once...only time ever. That was back in the 60's. I love how the cabins were named after fancy hotels. I remember 2 we stayed in...the Ritz and the Vanderbilt. Can't remember the last one. One year they took a picture of the costume party and for years they used that picture in their brochures...our family felt "famous" to be used in the brochure for so long. Great memories!
Bob G

Floral Park, NY

#9 Jun 7, 2015
Colleen223 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for those great memories! I'd almost forgotten about the wild blueberry bushes and picking them for the muffins! And of course the cowboy over the door of the barn. The coke in glass bottles tasted better than any other coke ever...a big treat since we weren't allowed to have soda at home.
And yes...Friday nights...sack races on the lawn. Egg tossing and bocchi ball too. I even remember winning in bingo once...only time ever. That was back in the 60's. I love how the cabins were named after fancy hotels. I remember 2 we stayed in...the Ritz and the Vanderbilt. Can't remember the last one. One year they took a picture of the costume party and for years they used that picture in their brochures...our family felt "famous" to be used in the brochure for so long. Great memories!
I wonder, do you remember the two cabins The Annie Oakley and the Daniel Boone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barryville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
worked for my uncle charlie pankow at green me... (Jun '09) Wed Bob Gladitsch 21
Cantwell's (Jan '09) Apr '16 Jim Purcell 52
bertrams lodge (Jul '09) Oct '15 A friend 28
adoption searching for information Kevin Michae... (Nov '13) Jun '15 Mccmahoney 2
News Phillipsport gets $25,000 'Golden Feather' at S... (Dec '14) Dec '14 james 1
News Six Bank of America branches in Sullivan County... (Apr '14) Apr '14 pooo 1
Motels near Barryville, ny (Oct '13) Oct '13 Joy 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barryville Mortgages