Huskies idle in summer? Why waste 'em, use 'em for entertaining DOGFIGHTS!

Posted in the Barrow Forum

Larry Anders

Seattle, WA

#1 Nov 4, 2007
Though I may be in the minority, I feel that dogfighting is wholesome, educational, family entertainment for kids of all ages.

There's nothing quite like taking the wife and kids to an exciting Saturday night dogfight, watching the glee in my children's eyes while two vicious, hulking canine beasts, their muscles rippling with adrenaline, tear each other to pieces, fighting to their glorious deaths in the pit like latter-day animal gladiators.

The excitement builds when the dogmen arrive after sundown; often driving expensive SUVs pulling custom trailers containing their prized fighting dogs. One by one the contenders are led from the trailers while others look on in admiration, some among them wishing that they too were dogmen. Others size up the contenders, determining the amount they will place in bets.

Bookmakers, quickly jotting odds on small chalkboards, start collecting money as enthusiastic bettors yell, "Two thousand on Imperator," or "Put me down for five hundred bucks on Lucky Lady."

Victory or death is the nature of the sport of dogfighting, each dogman, thousands invested in the breeding, training and care of his fighter, petting and giving his beloved champion animal encouragement before they are placed in the pit. A referee is in the pit before the fight; his job is to start the contest by placing the dogs within fighting distance of each other before the scratch line. Once the fight starts, the referee stays in the pit and enjoys the spectacle, watching for one of the dogs to turn.

Illustrating the educational value of the family sport of dogfighting, one evening while watching two dogs in a particularly bloody match, my youngest son asked me what were those purplish veiny things hanging from the belly of one contender.

"They're intestines son," I replied, admiring the dying canine's gameness as it continued to fight on, unto the death. At another match, my eldest son smiled and watched in amusement while a dog called King Odin, blinded in both eyes during the fight, clumsily latched on to the right foreleg of the opponent. Using all his strength, King Odin clamped down and bit the leg off at the shoulder, tearing the joint from the socket. Staring in astonishment with the rest of the crowd, I had never seen such incredible power come from the jaws of a game bull terrier. Curiously, at the end of the match King Odin, though blinded and ostensibly retired due to his injuries, was declared the winner, while the opposing animal, a three year old, four time champion bitch called Silver Streak, bled to death in one corner of the pit.

Another plus with regard to dogfighting is the community atmosphere promoted by the sport; friendly neighbors and fellow church members all gathering around the pit for conversation, good food, and entertainment. Many of the wives make tasty dishes to bring to the dogfights, and cold kegs of Coors and Budweiser are always a welcome addition. The local police chief often brings these beverages, along with coolers of soft drinks for the kids.

Dogfighting has been a part of American culture since before the beginning of the Republic, and is as American as apple pie and the 4th of July. Thomas Jefferson, Paul Revere and Benjamin Franklin were avid dogfighters, each keeping kennels of ferocious canines for their amusement, often pitting beasts from their kennels against each other in exciting contests of animal strength and endurance.

Drawing on the long history of the sport, I feel that some soul searching is in order, and after careful debate and reflection, it should be proposed that dogfighting be again made legal in all fifty states and territories of the United States of America.
Phil Razuto

Stevensville, MD

#2 Jun 5, 2009
Excellent idea!
SUVdrivingWifeRi ders

Amsterdam, Netherlands

#3 Jan 11, 2010
Why don't we spice it up a bit and grab your little crumb snatching kids by the hair and toss'em in the pit. My dog would love some fresh meat. NOW that would be entertaining. But why stop there I can have a couple of my SUV driving buddies hold you down and make you watch as we run a trainy on your wifes sweet a$$. Now were talking a night of entertainment!
Geert Wilders

Stevensville, MD

#4 Jan 23, 2010
SUVdrivingWifeRiders wrote:
Why don't we spice it up a bit and grab your little crumb snatching kids by the hair and toss'em in the pit. My dog would love some fresh meat. NOW that would be entertaining. But why stop there I can have a couple of my SUV driving buddies hold you down and make you watch as we run a trainy on your wifes sweet a$$. Now were talking a night of entertainment!
It would be even funnier to see your wife get raped up the ass by a gang of Muslims!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barrow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Alaska's 1st known gay marriage in Arctic town Dec 19 Pope Bennie s Closet 49
Snow visits the Rockies and Alaska to kickoff S... Sep '14 Ford 1
Swinging CO2 Levels Show The Earth Is 'Breathin... (Aug '13) Sep '14 Earthling-1 80
the music thread (Mar '12) May '14 Musikologist 22
In Alaska, it seems they've been slimed (Jul '09) Apr '14 Beefcurtains 8
In The Arctic Race, The U.S. Lags Behind (Aug '11) Feb '14 Dimitri100 133
How tiny plankton could give global warming a s... (Aug '13) Aug '13 LessHypeMoreFact 1
Barrow Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barrow People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barrow News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barrow

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:02 pm PST

NBC Sports 2:02PM