Environmental alarms raised over home electronics

May 14, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Boston.com

This Monday, May 22, 2006 file photo provided by Mary Sage shows a polar bear near Barrow, Alaska.

Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated May 16, 2009

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

My iPod causes global warming? Bummer.
Earthling

Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

It's totally pathetic, greenies and warmists think that appealing to people's sensitivity by showing a photo of a polar bear will make them act now to stop something that isn't happening.

That polar bear looks very healthy to me!
If I'd been put in charge of their advertising campaign, I'd have found a photo of a skinny old wreck of a bear and played it like Al Gore did with his drowned bears.
Failing being able to find one, I'd have photo shopped it to make the bear look sick.

Sad, feeble, inadequate, miserable, pitiful, worthless, wretched barstewards.

“dening those who deny nature. ”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

The ironic thing is most portable consumer electronics are working on increasing efficiency along with improving battery life to allow longer time between charges. It would be one area where solar power could actually be practical in some uses.

What is even funnier is many of the same people who are complaining about how much power these gizmos use are also the ones supporting replacing current cars with plug in electric cars which are going to need even more electricity.
Earthling

Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

I have a solar powered, Tandy calculator, it's about 30 years old and still works.
I often wonder why that technology hasn't been carried forward and offered as an extra for anyone who isn't in a hurry to charge their battery powered items.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

I have a wind up radio and a shake to charge flashlight. For emergencies.

“dening those who deny nature. ”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2009

Earthling wrote:
I have a solar powered, Tandy calculator, it's about 30 years old and still works.
I often wonder why that technology hasn't been carried forward and offered as an extra for anyone who isn't in a hurry to charge their battery powered items.
There are numerous small devices that work just find using solar cells. I have seen them used in just about every device that can work with low amperage. It even powers the part of my wireless network in the back yard. I know I found the idea and how to put that together from a old article of Popular Mechanics or Popular Science.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Barrow Discussions

Search the Barrow Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
the music thread (Mar '12) May '14 Musikologist 22
Swinging CO2 Levels Show The Earth Is 'Breathin... (Aug '13) May '14 litesong 80
In Alaska, it seems they've been slimed (Jul '09) Apr '14 Beefcurtains 8
In The Arctic Race, The U.S. Lags Behind (Aug '11) Feb '14 Dimitri100 133
How tiny plankton could give global warming a s... (Aug '13) Aug '13 LessHypeMoreFact 1
Alaska city experiences firsta (Aug '13) Aug '13 jhaypee 3
How much is teacher rent (Apr '13) Jun '13 teacher 2
•••
•••
•••
Barrow Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Barrow Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000