In The Arctic Race, The U.S. Lags Behind

Aug 19, 2011 Full story: www.npr.org 133

Seattle is the home of the U.S. Coast Guard's entire fleet of polar-class icebreakers. Both of them.

Capt. George Pellissier commands both the Polar Sea and the Polar Star. He has spent much of his career on these ships, which were built in Seattle in the 1970s.

He takes pride in the fact that these "polars," as they're called, are still among the most capable icebreakers out there — not counting the Russians' big nuclear-powered icebreakers. But Pellissier admits that if an ice-breaking emergency broke out, America wouldn't have much to offer because, right now, neither polar icebreaker is functional.

Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

“Pink Ponies of Justice”

Since: Sep 07

Moscow, Russia

#1 Aug 19, 2011
Arctic is Russian. US shouldn't worry. We'll take care about Arctic.

“Pink Ponies of Justice”

Since: Sep 07

Moscow, Russia

#2 Aug 19, 2011
Speed record on Northern Sea Route
2011-08-17

A tanker loaded with 61.000 tons of gas condensate has sailed the Northern Sea Route in only eight days.

The Panamax-class tanker "STI Heritage" left Murmansk on July 19 and arrived its port of destination Map Ta Phut in Thailand on August 16. The vessel sailed through the Northeast Passage in only eight days, with an average speed of 14 knots.

The tanker transported 61.000 tons of gas condensate for Novatek, Russia’s second largest gas producer.
Small Town America UGX

Absecon, NJ

#3 Aug 19, 2011
coolncrazy wrote:
Arctic is Russian. US shouldn't worry. We'll take care about Arctic.
Stop censoring and blocking threads. I am sure that Topix would be angered to know that the Russian forum is being used by you to manipulate and censure. You blocked the thread "Russia's digital ambitions lost in space", and subsituted it with this attack on the USA.
Small Town America UGX

Absecon, NJ

#4 Aug 19, 2011
Bring back the thread regarding the lost digital satillite or I will do Cassandra one better. I will formally complain to topix that the russian foum editor is using his position for a political agenda.

“Dimitri at the races in Russia”

Since: Jan 10

Loved everywhere

#5 Aug 19, 2011
You shite town are not able to do anything.
Quite the contrary, your IP should be banned if you do not shut up !
Pesky Neo-nazi

Absecon, NJ

#7 Aug 19, 2011
Pesky army wrote:
You shite town are not able to do anything.
Quite the contrary, your IP should be banned if you do not shut up !
Me and Cassandra will ban anyone who we do not like. We like to threaten people. If only I could stop tripping over my jack-boots when ever I try to do the goose-step during our slavic union parades. I am always getting goosed. But I like it. haha.
Small Town America UGX

Absecon, NJ

#8 Aug 19, 2011
Pesky army wrote:
You shite town are not able to do anything.
Quite the contrary, your IP should be banned if you do not shut up !
What is the matter, goat lover? Did I make the little SLOvak upset. It will take much more than a little garbage dump slavic union rat to shut me up, pal. Now, scurry away and do what dump rats like you are good for. Eat head cheese. HAHAHAHAHAHA !!!

“Dimitri at the races in Russia”

Since: Jan 10

Loved everywhere

#9 Aug 19, 2011
If you wish you may be banned within 3 days.
Insults are not tolerated anymore.
Pro Ukraine

UK

#10 Aug 19, 2011
Pesky army wrote:
You shite town are not able to do anything.
Quite the contrary, your IP should be banned if you do not shut up !
It's you who should be banned SLOw brain. It's a mystery to everybody how you've survived on here for so long.
Pro Ukraine

UK

#11 Aug 19, 2011
Pesky army wrote:
If you wish you may be banned within 3 days.
Insults are not tolerated anymore.
The games up for you then.
Small Town America UGX

Absecon, NJ

#12 Aug 19, 2011
Pesky army wrote:
If you wish you may be banned within 3 days.
Insults are not tolerated anymore.
So I guess all your posts that contain degrading attack insults against individual posters are the exception for you, eh !! sonny??

I am sure Ana, Annie, Swg, etc. would differ with you. But you, ronan robbie boy, and Cassandra are noted for your attempts to stiffle such. You and robbie ronan attacking and making personal threats to Ana on a personal level, as well as Cassandra and you making attempts to locate my private residence and bar me from Topix.
hmmmm

Saint Petersburg, Russia

#13 Aug 19, 2011
Small Town America UGX wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop censoring and blocking threads. I am sure that Topix would be angered to know that the Russian forum is being used by you to manipulate and censure. You blocked the thread "Russia's digital ambitions lost in space", and subsituted it with this attack on the USA.
I think you should relax STA - the satelite that was lost yesterday is now located and found - and, what a surprise,- by Americans,who passed info to Russian !- the TV report about it have been just aired - maybe that was the reason why the article disapeared?... Regarding this thread,may I ask you - why is that United States have no one nuclear icebreaker while Russia has 7 of those? Looks like you use nuclear engines only in military sphera, why is that? How are you going to navigate Arctics without nuclear Ice-breakers?- maybe it is time to build at least one and then to come here and to discuss the topic?
Annie

Southampton, UK

#14 Aug 19, 2011
Nice of everyone to break the ice up. I hear it's a good time to be investing in sandbag stocks.

this may also come in handy :

http://downtherabbithole10.wordpress.com/2011...
ronan

UK

#15 Aug 19, 2011
Small Town America UGX wrote:
<quoted text>
So I guess all your posts that contain degrading attack insults against individual posters are the exception for you, eh !! sonny??
I am sure Ana, Annie, Swg, etc. would differ with you. But you, ronan robbie boy, and Cassandra are noted for your attempts to stiffle such. You and robbie ronan attacking and making personal threats to Ana on a personal level, as well as Cassandra and you making attempts to locate my private residence and bar me from Topix.
And of course you and Ana8 are absolutely innocent like the driven snow and never use insults or make attacks against other participants on this forum.

Try another joke ...

You and her mostly get back what you dish out in the first place!
MrOwl

Winston Salem, NC

#16 Aug 21, 2011
The question was asked, why does the US have not one nuclear icebreaker while Russia has seven? Hmmmm, let me see if I can figure this one out. Could it be because the US ports on the Atlantic, Pacific and Gulf are NOT icebound? Hmmmm, someone help me with this. This is a toughy!!! Wait, wait, I think I got it. The US can build some sleighs, get some flying reindeer and cruise over the Arctic. Yeah!!! I figured that out with no help. My Uncle could tell you it's too cold up there anyway. He's at the bottom of the Bering sea, been there for 70 years!!!
ronan

UK

#17 Aug 21, 2011
MrOwl wrote:
The question was asked, why does the US have not one nuclear icebreaker while Russia has seven? Hmmmm, let me see if I can figure this one out. Could it be because the US ports on the Atlantic, Pacific and Gulf are NOT icebound? Hmmmm, someone help me with this. This is a toughy!!! Wait, wait, I think I got it. The US can build some sleighs, get some flying reindeer and cruise over the Arctic. Yeah!!! I figured that out with no help. My Uncle could tell you it's too cold up there anyway. He's at the bottom of the Bering sea, been there for 70 years!!!
In that case the US can hardly make any claim about the Artic if it can't even get there!

I guess it's Russia 7; America 0

LOL
MrOwl

Winston Salem, NC

#18 Aug 22, 2011
Lotsa wheat, veggies, fruit, Oats, barley, soybeans and all the other delicious, nutritious and needful items needed for human survival. The Arctic is real important. Probably ranks up there in importance as the Sahara, Arabian, Gobi and Sonoran deserts. Excuse me but looking at a map I see Point Lay, Wainwright, Barrow, Prudhoe Bay and Kaktovik all located on the Alaskan shore of the, oh my GOD, the Arctic Ocean. What, a nation's greatness is determined by how many ships sail the Arctic Ocean? Sorry Viet Nam and Venezuela, that leaves you out. I wonder how many Italian, Dutch or French ships hae glided through the Arctic. Don't jump on me for hae. every once in awhile the islander in me pops up. Anyone have the number of Chinese ships have sailed the Arctic Ocean? The Arctic is good for one thing. Does anyone realise the shortest distance from Moscow to DC is over the North Pole? Which reminds me of a question I asked on a Russian thread and NEVER received an answer, so here it is again. In the Russian thought process, who is Gogh?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#19 Aug 23, 2011
Small Town America UGX wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop censoring and blocking threads. I am sure that Topix would be angered to know that the Russian forum is being used by you to manipulate and censure. You blocked the thread "Russia's digital ambitions lost in space", and subsituted it with this attack on the USA.
ROFL!!!

coolncrazy, you better stop that right now! Nevermind Topix, I'm calling the FBI and the CIA!
hmmmm

Saint Petersburg, Russia

#20 Aug 23, 2011
MrOwl wrote:
Lotsa wheat, veggies, fruit, Oats, barley, soybeans and all the other delicious, nutritious and needful items needed for human survival. The Arctic is real important. Probably ranks up there in importance as the Sahara, Arabian, Gobi and Sonoran deserts. Excuse me but looking at a map I see Point Lay, Wainwright, Barrow, Prudhoe Bay and Kaktovik all located on the Alaskan shore of the, oh my GOD, the Arctic Ocean. What, a nation's greatness is determined by how many ships sail the Arctic Ocean? Sorry Viet Nam and Venezuela, that leaves you out. I wonder how many Italian, Dutch or French ships hae glided through the Arctic. Don't jump on me for hae. every once in awhile the islander in me pops up. Anyone have the number of Chinese ships have sailed the Arctic Ocean? The Arctic is good for one thing. Does anyone realise the shortest distance from Moscow to DC is over the North Pole? Which reminds me of a question I asked on a Russian thread and NEVER received an answer, so here it is again. In the Russian thought process, who is Gogh?
Vincent Willem van Gogh was a Dutch post-Impressionist painter whose work had a far-reaching influence on 20th century art

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#21 Aug 23, 2011
MrOwl wrote:
The question was asked, why does the US have not one nuclear icebreaker while Russia has seven? Hmmmm, let me see if I can figure this one out. Could it be because the US ports on the Atlantic, Pacific and Gulf are NOT icebound? Hmmmm, someone help me with this. This is a toughy!!! Wait, wait, I think I got it. The US can build some sleighs, get some flying reindeer and cruise over the Arctic. Yeah!!! I figured that out with no help. My Uncle could tell you it's too cold up there anyway. He's at the bottom of the Bering sea, been there for 70 years!!!
"In the Arctic, the melting of polar ice packs is accelerating to the point that the National Snow and Ice Data Center has reported that the North Pole may briefly be ice free. The melting of polar ice is a catalyst for what appears to be increasing interest in the creation of new shipping passages, particularly in the Arctic, as well as a new scramble for the assertion of national control over natural resources. As shipping traffic increases in the polar regions, the Coast Guard may need to expand its presence to provide many of its traditional services, including search and rescue operations. Additionally, icebreaking capacity is required to resupply the Antarctic research station McMurdo.

With some climate models predicting an ice-free Arctic summer in the future, more international expeditions will be headed to the region to examine newly revealed oil and gas reserves and other natural resources. Canada, Russia, and other countries will begin to compete with the United States over jurisdiction and, without a strong polar icebreaker fleet, our Nation will suffer a severe disadvantage."

"Over 22 percent of the world's energy supply is under the Arctic ice cap. Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has stated that Russia should unilaterally claim part of the Arctic, stepping up the race for the disputed energy-rich region. Russia has a fleet of 20 heavy ice breakers and is nearing completion of the first of their newest fleet of nuclear-powered icebreakers in an effort to control energy exploration and maritime trade in the region. By the end of the Bush Administration, the United States had only one functioning heavy polar icebreaker, and it had only six years left of useful life."

"In testimony before both houses of Congress, Mead Treadwell, Chair of the U.S. Arctic Research Commission (USARC), encouraged the United States to prepare for significantly greater shipping in the Arctic Ocean as climate change, improved technology and demand for Arctic resources make northern seaways more accessible. In hearings of the House Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure on July 16, 2008, and the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation on June 24, 2008, Treadwell cited the central role the Arctic plays in global air transportation, and predicts a similar role for the Arctic Ocean in shipping. Treadwell noted that the Senate's preference to build two new polar class icebreakers as Coast Guard Authorization Act for fiscal year 2008 was based on economic factors as well as on security and science concerns, as testified to by Admiral Thad Allen, Commandant, U.S. Coast Guard, and Dr. Arden Bement, Director, National Science Foundation. Treadwell cited seven "billion dollar, if not trillion-dollar" economic issues in the Arctic that help justify an approximate $1.5 billion investment in new U.S. polar class icebreakers."

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/system...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barrow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Alaska's 1st known gay marriage in Arctic town Oct 15 nhjeff 14
Snow visits the Rockies and Alaska to kickoff S... Sep '14 Ford 1
Swinging CO2 Levels Show The Earth Is 'Breathin... (Aug '13) Sep '14 Earthling-1 80
the music thread (Mar '12) May '14 Musikologist 22
In Alaska, it seems they've been slimed (Jul '09) Apr '14 Beefcurtains 8
How tiny plankton could give global warming a s... (Aug '13) Aug '13 LessHypeMoreFact 1
Alaska city experiences firsta (Aug '13) Aug '13 jhaypee 3
Barrow Dating
Find my Match

Barrow Jobs

Barrow People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barrow News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barrow

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]